Will the Jets now sign a veteran back up QB? If so, who?

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It will be Mullins.  

Free-agent quarterback Nick Mullens appears to be making good progress 2 1/2 months after undergoing surgery to repair an elbow ligament on his throwing arm.

Mullens sustained a season-ending elbow injury late in the 49ers’ 41-33 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Dec. 20. He underwent surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament.

https://sports.yahoo.com/49ers-free-agent-qb-nick-193434654.html

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Alex Smith. Sign him before the draft. Watch the world burn.

Much respect for Smith Great story and determination from coming back a devastating injury but please no. One wrong hit and the poor guy is in danger of losing a leg especially with the Jets OLine still in flux. Wish he would retire while he can still walk and play with his kids 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Smith is going to look to sign with a team that gives him even a sliver of hope of starting. Backing up a guy like Darnold makes more sense since he knows there is a chance Darnold could lose the job.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why, if I might ask, are you in favor of that? 

Apart from "played in the system", of course.

Not many other options left.  Winston, Barkley, Mullens, Smith (Alex and Geno), McCarron, Hundley, Bortles, Hoyer.  Maybe a guy like McCarron could be an option, but he is probably no better than Mullens.

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Trade a day 3 pick for Minshew. Let him start the year. Then he's the backup until his contract is up and we got a comp pick from the team that signs him.

I like this idea, but wouldn't the Jags want to keep him for the same reasons we'd want him?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I like this idea, but wouldn't the Jags want to keep him for the same reasons we'd want him?

Yup. That's definitely the problem I see.

But they're not too bright:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/31/poll-should-the-jaguars-trade-gardner-minshew/

The Jaguars seemed to cement this with the signing of former San Francisco 49ers backup C.J. Beathard, who saw a good amount of action in 2020 after Jimmy Garoppolo sustained an ankle injury. Though Minshew would certainly be among the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL, if there’s acceptable trade value for him (which is certainly a possibility), it would make a lot of sense for Jacksonville to try and deal him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Expecting someone with experience in the Shanahan system or connections to LaFleur? A SF back up?

Probably Jimmy G in a pick flip...? 

honestly who cares. It’s gonna be Zach and then bench riders. 

• Upvote 1

Nick Mullens would be ideal. The only issue is he's still recovering from elbow ligament surgery on his throwing arm. Won't be much of a competition if that's what we want. Other possible options if affordable could be Alex Smith, AJ McCarron, Blake Bortles,  or Blaine Gabbert.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Probably Jimmy G in a pick flip...? 

honestly who cares. It’s gonna be Zach and then bench riders. 

very true, but theres something to be said about having a good strong veteran presence in the room to lead the group and teach them how to be a pro.   I like mullens as a backup, but the problem is he doesnt really give you that "veteran" presence.  He's a veteran compared to a 21 year old rookie, but at 26 i wouldnt say he's the guy that can take Zach under his wing and teach him the game at this level.  Alex smith to me would be a really nice option, but I'm not sure thats the way this goes. 

43 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’m actually all for this. Alex Smith played at Utah. Zach Wilson is from Draper, Utah. They have a little something in common in that regard & I still think Smith is good enough to hold up in a back up/mentor role.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Trade a day 3 pick for Minshew. Let him start the year. Then he's the backup until his contract is up and we got a comp pick from the team that signs him.

This is a brilliant idea too & one I brought up early last month. Minshew is actually a guy you have a chance to win some games with

• Upvote 2