Why is there this idea from some people that we can’t draft Wilson and improve the team going forward?

Just now, RogerVick1980 said:

Ive heard  from some people here and on social media that the Jets can’t draft a Qb because there are too many holes on the roster  and/or  Wilson would be put in the same situation as Darnold..

First off we aren’t contending this year anyway so if we can’t fill every hole this year it’s not the end of the world.. it’s about how we continue to build..

I don’t get why some people think if we draft Wilson we will have no ability going forward to improve the team at all and he will be stuck with this exact roster for his whole career..

We have enough assets and flexibility wheter through the draft or cap going forward to where if we make the right moves we have more then enough assets to build a talented team around Wilson eventually..

Simply because time and time again, bad franchises draft QBs high and ruin them. Hopefully that narrative is changing with kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield for instance, but the Jets have to prove they won’t ruin him.

• Upvote 3

I don't hate Wilson, and I don't particularly love Sam.

I do think it is beneficial to have decent talent before adding a QB.   The Jets have none, hence I liked the idea of a trade down.

They are going to draft Wilson, I hope it works out, and I hope they let him sit the better part of his rookie year to learn.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't hate Wilson, and I don't particularly love Sam.

I do think it is beneficial to have decent talent before adding a QB.   The Jets have none, hence I liked the idea of a trade down.

They are going to draft Wilson, I hope it works out, and I hope they let him sit the better part of his rookie year to learn.

I agree it’s beneficial but if you think a QB has franchise QB potential you take him.

You don’t pass him up to build the team up when it’s so hard to find a franchise QB.. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is only said by people who love Sam Darnold and are pissed he is not the qb anymore.  They are the same people who hate zach wilson and joe douglas as well.

Anyone with a brain knows we have 21 picks in the next 2 years to build this team.

They also forget that the guy who drafted Darnold then failed to protect him was the protégé of the guy who did the exact same thing to David Carr. 

Instead of trying to fix Mac's mess, JD is starting over. I don't blame him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is only said by people who love Sam Darnold and are pissed he is not the qb anymore.  They are the same people who hate zach wilson and joe douglas as well.

Anyone with a brain knows we have 21 picks in the next 2 years to build this team.

Haha, wtf dude. Absolutes or nothing! 

In all seriousness, if you're really afraid of ruining Wilson just don't play him.

I doubt anyone is truly worried about that in the Jets org, but like, if that's your huge fear you don't need to play him. Sign Alex Smith and give him the nod that he'll get the full season as a starter.

It doesn't change the fact that the Jets are uniquely positioned to grab a top notch QB prospect in a way they likely won't be in the future. You can grab the guy and sit him for a year.

• Upvote 3

The concept that a QB has the potential to elevate everyone around him is also a novel one, for some Jets fans. Mostly, because they have never physically watched such a QB play in green and white. It's easier then to keep wanting to fill holes on the roster, until the QB is the last piece in the jig-saw. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

I agree it’s beneficial but if you think a QB has franchise QB potential you take him.

You don’t pass him up to build the team up when it’s so hard to find a franchise QB.. 

Then you better let him sit and year and not get beat out of the league.

Again, I hope it works out.  I hope hevis here for 20 years.

35 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is only said by people who love Sam Darnold and are pissed he is not the qb anymore.

This is getting really old from you. Is anyone really lamenting the loss of Darnold? I mean, anyone who isn't trolling? 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets drafted Becton and Mims last year, already miles ahead of help for a young QB from past regimes.

As some of us on here have been bleating, offensive line is what buys you time in adding things to the offense and still have a young Qb that does not get killed.

If Douglas does not draft oline early and often in this draft he is just another in a long line of guys that just pays it lip service since we totally struck out in signing any impact oline Free agents.

23 or 34 has to be o line.

I d9nt care about Best Player, blah blah blah.   Take the best available lineman.  Center, great.  Right tackle, fabulous.  Guard, also needed. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Ehh I think that’s overrated.. Manning took a beating his rookie year so did Aikman and a lot of great QB’s..

Manning sat part of his rookie year, and Troy was surrounded by possibly the best O Line of the last 30 years with HOF wide receiver and running back.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Manning sat part of his rookie year, and Troy was surrounded by possibly the best O Line of the last 30 years with HOF wide receiver and running back.

Not his first few years with the Cowboys.. They were not a good team yet.

They were awful his rookie year 

• Upvote 2

I was down with riding with Darnold this year, trading down from #2, collecting the riches and building a football team. Unfortunately the offers didn't come, and the decision was made to take the QB while they have the #2 pick in the draft and two QBs they'd be really happy to have.

Having everything in place first would've been nice. I'm also not thrilled with the Rookie head coach, rookie offensive coordinator, and rookie QB all hitting the ground at the same time. That's a lot. I think one year to get the program up & running before taking the QB would've been the better path. But that just didn't materialize. 

People here, too, fixate on the offense, or just the OL alone, with such a passion that they can't see that the team is a lot better than it was one or two years ago already, and that after they take the QB, they'll still be drafting another first, a second, and two thirds. They'll sign free agents after the draft. When the cuts come at the end of training camp, they'll sign another couple players. 

You can't always wait for the perfect moment, sometimes you've just gotta act. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

This is a SOJF take.  There is no reason to STILL believe that we are a bad franchise.  The owners are hand off now which is HUGE.  We have a new FO and CS, both seemingly having good pedigrees.  There is no reason on earth except for angst to think that is franchise is now bad.          

Draft the QB.  Coach him up.  Get him some  additional OL protection.  Then add another  TE-RB-WR   And...

Lets roll!

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This. This this this this.

Take a QB at 2. Then use the next few picks on guys who can help him. Don't use your next pick on a project DT from a D2 school.

This time, let the defensive genius scheme and playcall his defense into a good unit and spend the capital surrounding your huge investment with protection and weaponzzzzz!

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I think the Jets certainly can draft a QB at #2 and still improve the team with their remaining picks and the picks next year.

The concern seems to be whether the Jets are willing to do something I've somewhat advocated for - forego additional investments on Defense right now in order to properly protect and support the rookie QB they're about to Draft.  There are holes all over this team on both offense and defense.  The Jets needs are numerous - OL, LB, WR, CB, TE, etc.  We can't fix them all in one year.

So what should the plan be?  I'd argue the Jets need to hold their noses and be willing to give up some points on D in order to focus on the O immediately.  Robert Saleh is a defensive coach.  While the Jets still have some needs on D there's enough there to field a team, coach those guys up and get reasonable performance.  Quinnen, Lawson, Maye...those are above average players.  There are some young hopeful pieces like Hall, Davis, etc.  The Jets need to focus on Offense right now because we can't ruin another QB.  If a defender who is ranked 19th on the Jets board is there at #23, they should take the offensive player who is ranked 22nd IMO.  They can can come back next year with one of those 1st round picks to land an elite CB, and elite OLB or a younger Edge rusher.

Well...sure. If you wanna put it the well written, thought out way. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Ive heard  from some people here and on social media that the Jets can’t draft a Qb because there are too many holes on the roster  and/or  Wilson would be put in the same situation as Darnold..

First off we aren’t contending this year anyway so if we can’t fill every hole this year it’s not the end of the world.. it’s about how we continue to build..

I don’t get why some people think if we draft Wilson we will have no ability going forward to improve the team at all and he will be stuck with this exact roster for his whole career..

We have enough assets and flexibility wheter through the draft or cap going forward to where if we make the right moves we have more then enough assets to build a talented team around Wilson eventually..

I think it’s more some people think this team will never improve with Wilson at QB, and we will be doing the same thing in 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Probably because it's a formula that's failed over and over again.  Also, in the history of the NFL, no rookie HC/rookie QB have ever been paired together and achieved sustained success except for Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman, who ironically built that team through a massive trade haul but I digress.  Wilson is not a pro-ready QB and it would be wise to find a bridge QB to build the team for when Wilson is ready.  I think throwing him to the wolves with this sh*tty roster would be a tragic mistake.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Does it matter anymore, we don't have a qb now so we have to draft Wilson/fields/Jones

This was only an argument before we traded Sam.

Correct now the argument is hopefully the Jets don’t take the exact same player they just traded and expect a different outcome.  Grab the better QB in Fields and the Jets might just have something.

49 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Does it matter anymore, we don't have a qb now so we have to draft Wilson/fields/Jones

This was only an argument before we traded Sam.

Oh, I'm not arguing.   Have to take QB at 2.

A month ago I wanted to trade down, but I hope Wilson works out.  I just really want JD to build that line.

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Correct now the argument is hopefully the Jets don’t take the exact same player they just traded and expect a different outcome.  Grab the better QB in Fields and the Jets might just have something.

I've said that before, definition of madness is keep trying the same thing and expecting different results.