Who at 23

CB/EDGE/OL/RB  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What position would you like to see the Jets address at 23?

• CB
    • EDGE
    • OL
    • RB

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He didn’t say “weapons,” he said “talent.”

IMO, interior OL is priority number 1 

Quite correct as to what JD actually said--or something just as general--"We have to support him" or something like that.

31 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

We actually agree on this.  I would love for the Jets to land him or Etienne.  Then Eichenberg or Humphrey at #34.

Yeah, unlike many others here.  I have no problem taking a RB like that.  Either one of them would be an amazing get to help support our young QB.

Different players but both are going to have good careers - I like NH better, but as you said - I would be excited with either one.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, unlike many others here.  I have no problem taking a RB like that.  Either one of them would be an amazing get to help support our young QB.

Different players but both are going to have good careers - I like NH better, but as you said - I would be excited with either one.

I would also be excited by either one. Would be awesome. 

Just rather Oline or WR. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I would also be excited by either one. Would be awesome. 

Just rather Oline or WR. 

Sure - anything on offense would make me happy....

But either one of those guys are a threat to score every time they touch the ball.  Defenses will have to keep a close on them - and will absolutely take pressure off of ZW.

40 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Oh, I actually see NH as the next Derrick Henry, so I'd be ecstatic over that pick.  Parts of me sees Etienne as the next LT and LT even at the end with the Jets was special.  Either helps the new QB.  JD has some tough decisions but hopefully it's all offense till the fourth.

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/17/2021 at 7:34 PM, FidelioJet said:

This.  A legit playmaking RB (along with more O-line) would do wonders for protecting and helping Wilson in his rookie year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I suspect you RB guys are in for a disappointment. The position isn't a fit early as either a need or a value. 

All comes down to what JD thinks of his current crop of RB's, and how he (and our new Offensive Coaches) values the position in relation to supporting his soon-to-be-shiny-new-young-small-school-undersized QB.

I would hope we'd want to support our biggest organizational asset, the highest drafted QB since Joe Namath, with real talent, real protection and a rookie QB's biggest friend, a legit productive running attack to take the pressure off him throwing it 40 times a game.

Maybe JD thinks the guys we have can do that.  If so, you're quite right, we won't sniff a RB at all, much less in the top rounds.

I just hate the idea of repeating the past yet again.  If we're talking about "just needs time, and weapons" and how weak our O-line and O-skill players are yet again in 2022, man, that will be frustrating IMO. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All comes down to what JD thinks of his current crop of RB's, and how he (and our new Offensive Coaches) values the position in relation to supporting his soon-to-be-shiny-new-young-small-school-undersized QB.

I would hope we'd want to support our biggest organizational asset, the highest drafted QB since Joe Namath, with real talent, real protection and a rookie QB's biggest friend, a legit productive running attack to take the pressure off him throwing it 40 times a game.

Maybe JD thinks the guys we have can do that.  If so, you're quite right, we won't sniff a RB at all, much less in the top rounds.

I just hate the idea of repeating the past yet again.  If we're talking about "just needs time, and weapons" and how weak our O-line and O-skill players are yet again in 2022, man, that will be frustrating IMO. 

They'll be installing a rushing attack that has repeatedly turned nobodies into stars at the RB position. It would be less surprising to me for the Jets to pass on the position entirely than to take one by #34. They have a viable committee with Coleman, Perine, and Johnson. 

Joe Douglas strikes me as a guy who prioritizes value. A GM who prioritizes value isn't going to draft a RB high if he has an OL, Edge, WR, or CB graded closely. RB replacements are always available. There's a reason the position has been devalued. 

• Upvote 1

They'll be installing a rushing attack that has repeatedly turned nobodies into stars at the RB position. It would be less surprising to me for the Jets to pass on the position entirely than to take one by #34. They have a viable committee with Coleman, Perine, and Johnson.

"Repeatedly turned nobodies into stars at RB", how it could it possible fail, amirite?

Guess we'll see.  

Joe Douglas strikes me as a guy who prioritizes value. A GM who prioritizes value isn't going to draft a RB high if he has an OL, Edge, WR, or CB graded closely. RB replacements are always available. There's a reason the position has been devalued. 

I would say that is a fair evaluation of JD, based on what we fans know so far.

As said, if that's indeed an accurate reading of JD, we'll know it.....when the draft is over, and we've not drafted any RB's. 

That will also tell the tale if JD also sees Coleman, Perine and Johnson as "viable" the same way you do.

I freely admit, you're likely correct.  I simply don't agree with it, and fear we'll be discussing how our 26th ranked Rushing attack let Wilson down in his rookie year, and more, how many times Wilson had to throw it per game and how many times he was sacked...

• Upvote 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Untouchable said:

Maybe, and I like Humphrey.

But I’ve heard a large contingent of the fanbase say the same thing about Billy Price, Pat Elflein, Garrett Bradbury, etc just over the last 5 years or so.

These top rated center prospects aren’t nearly the sure things that many Jets fans make them out to be.

Pat Elflein went in the 3rd.

Are there questions regarding Bradbury?  I haven't read any

Price. A valid concern there though injuries have played a part w/him

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

This.  A legit playmaking RB (along with more O-line) would do wonders for protecting and helping Wilson in his rookie year.

23 RB, 34 OL, 66 OL - With Mims, Davis, Crowder and an elite threat at RB....I think at that point we have an actual NFL offense - certainly still needs a lot of work but it won't be a joke and will give Wilson some weapons to work with.

There are actually still a few pretty good CB's on the free agent market - go sign one of them - the D added a good amount in the off-season - they'll be fine.

Develop Wilson!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

23 RB, 34 OL, 66 OL - With Mims, Davis, Crowder and an elite threat at RB....I think at that point we have an actual NFL offense - certainly still needs a lot of work but it won't be a joke and will give Wilson some weapons to work with.

There are actually still a few pretty good CB's on the free agent market - go sign one of them - the D added a good amount in the off-season - they'll be fine.

Develop Wilson!

And we're almost assuredly going to get Sherman at CB before the offseason is over.  

I agree, the D was the better unit to start, got a high-priced FA Edge, will get Sherman at CB, and gets back Mosely at LB.

Also, presumably, last year's draft picks everyone says "wait and see, can't judge yet!", like Davis at Safety, Hall at CB, Zuniga at Edge, etc. should start to produce more too.

Add in a few later-round picks this year, and the D should be perfectly fine for 2021.

It's time the Offense finally gets some meaningful investment.  If not now, when we're drafting Wilson, when?

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And we're almost assuredly going to get Sherman at CB before the offseason is over.  

I agree, the D was the better unit to start, got a high-priced FA Edge, will get Sherman at CB, and gets back Mosely at LB.

Also, presumably, last year's draft picks everyone says "wait and see, can't judge yet!", like Davis at Safety, Hall at CB, Zuniga at Edge, etc. should start to produce more too.

Add in a few later-round picks this year, and the D should be perfectly fine for 2021.

It's time the Offense finally gets some meaningful investment.  If not now, when we're drafting Wilson, when?

The bolded is the key.  

We've just been through not supporting our young 1st round QB.  Now is the time to put everything you can behind this kid.  Develop him and you're in the playoffs every year for 15 years.  We can sacrifice not taking a first round CB in order to give Wilson the best chance to develop.  Doesn't mean he will, but we should do everything in our power to help him get there.  It's just three picks - go for broke!

All I ask is that JD sees the big picture and not get short sighted.  What's in the best long term interest of the NY Jets is to turn ZW into a franchise QB.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Perine and Johnson epitomize the concept of "nobodies" AKA JAGs.  Coleman's reputation is of a useful piece in a stable of RBBC.  The sum of these parts is not enough to balance the needs/complement the play of a rookie QB.  JD needs to do better roster construction than placing the offense entirely on ZW or whoever he picks at #2 overall.  He has done zilch to address the OL in free agency which suggests he needs to target this area in the draft early and often.  I'd argue that a "special" (yes, I think both Harris and Etienne are special) RB, especially  early in their career would take the load off of the rookie QB and go a long way to build a team in the mold he and Saleh state they desire.

I'd go OL at 23 & 34

I think drafting BPA is a fantastic philosophy that every team should generally abide by - with the exception being sh*tty teams that just drafted a QB - which just so happens to be our Jets. 

You want to help a rookie QB? Forego a coverage linebacker and CB for one year - or just overpay for a veteran available. We need to protect ZW and provide him with every chance to succeed. If a stud D player falls to you trade back and get more picks to use at OL/WR/RB/TE. 

Goal this year: Make it easy for ZW 

Goal for the next 10 years: Build a superbowl roster and draft BPA

• Upvote 1

I hope OL at 23 is the pick but would Douglas pass on a premium position pick at EDGE or CB if one of the top players dropped?  That fifth year option is huge for those positions, more so than a guard or center.  I could see them going EDGE at 23 and signing Sherman post-draft.  Sherman may be a back-up plan if they don't draft a CB in the early rounds that they see as an immediate starter.

Also, do rookie offensive players help the development of a rookie QB?  The Jets seemed to have brought in skill position veterans (Davis, Cole, Coleman) that can help a rookie QB's development.  Supplanting those veterans with rookies may hinder the QB's development? And vice versa?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Shockwave said:

For me its Jenkins or Jaelen Phillips. 

Jaelen Phillips just has no business being available at our pick. Hes the DROY this year depending where hes drafted. Nick Bosa type impact if we draft him. He really should be a top 5 pick. 

Philips off the board due to medical history