I think that Elijah Moore compares to Wayne Chrebet, perhaps only much better!

Wayne Chrebet had no fear about catching the balls over the middle, in traffic.  He caught everything in his sight.  He was 5'10" tall. and had a big heart.

He is also considered one of the best wide receivers the Jets ever had.

Elijah Moore has no fear about catching balls over the middle, he has a history of having great hands, and he is just under 5'10" tall.  He also seems to have a big heart.

The only difference I see right now, is that Moore is much faster, and is a "home run threat".

If Elijah Moore turns out to be anything like Wayne Chrebet, then I'm sold, hook, line and sinker!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Besides being small and having great hands, i dont see any similarities in how they play the game.  Chrebet was a possession reciever.  Moore is an explosive player who can rack up YAC and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

I think you're saying he might be much better than Chrebet!  

At #34, I just don't understand how anyone can knock this pick.  I also am not sold that the Jets now should cut Crowder.  I mean, the Jets need quality wide receivers, period!!  The Jets need to support their rookie QB, and you never know when a receiver will go down with an injury, and we end up having Berrios as our #1 starter at wide receiver.

Cut Lewis on the O line if you want, but please, please keep Crowder, at least for this next season.

It's not like Mims never got hurt last year, you know.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Besides being small and having great hands, i dont see any similarities in how they play the game.  Chrebet was a possession reciever.  Moore is an explosive player who can rack up YAC and is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.

Yes.  I don't understand the premise of this thread at all.  Other than height, Chrebet and Moore have nothing in common that I can see.  

This entire board is trying so hard to justify the selection of Moore.  Some good points out there... but I'd take a trade down there to get another 3rd any day.  Oh well.  What could have been.  

I hope we'll enjoy our shiny new slot WR.  I guess we don't need the 27 year old Jamison Crowder any more.  Its not like he was old or a bad slot or overly expensive.  In fact he is a really good slot and we have the money to pay him.  Jd's infatuation with Moore is understandable but his willingness to leave greater needs untouched there bothers me to no end.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Wayne was all hands and heart.  The guy was one of my favorites.

But Moore's God given athletic skills dwarf the Green Lantern's.  

You mean the Green Lantern's skills dwarf Moore's, right?

Yes, Wayne was all hands and heart.  Elijah Moore is all hands, and I hope that from what I've seen, he is all heart as well.

I mean, he had 86 catches through 8 games last year.  For almost 1,200 yards.  I think that qualifies as "all hands".  

I just saw that Mel Kiper rated Elijah Moore as the 16th best prospect in this draft!  And we got him at #34.  Anyone out there, please be positive about this guy!  

I understand why JD stayed put and picked this guy when he did!!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yes.  I don't understand the premise of this thread at all.  Other than height, Chrebet and Moore have nothing in common that I can see.  

This entire board is trying so hard to justify the selection of Moore.  Some good points out there... but I'd take a trade down there to get another 3rd any day.  Oh well.  What could have been.  

I hope we'll enjoy our shiny new slot WR.  I guess we don't need the 27 year old Jamison Crowder any more.  Its not like he was old or a bad slot or overly expensive.  In fact he is a really good slot and we have the money to pay him.  Jd's infatuation with Moore is understandable but his willingness to leave greater needs untouched there bothers me to no end.

So, the fact that Moore catches everything in sight, and is fearless over the middle like Wayne Chrebet was, does not allow any similarities at all??

I understand that Moore is not considered a "possession receiver", but catching 86 balls in 8 games tells me he is a possession receiver.  I guess I just am wrong,

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but let's not get crazy.

First of all they don't call him "Mr. 3rd down" for nothing. Lol

Second, Chrebet although not straight-line speed fast was extremely quick in and out of his breaks. In a completely different time when the DB could hang all over you he caught everything. Also in those days those guys would basically fist fight for the ball straight up and Wayne was tough as nails.

Hey man I hope Elijah Moore turns out to be all pro, but I think it's a little too soon to compare him to Chrebet.

Nice highlight reel but he'll be playing with the big boys now.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Alka said:

Wayne Chrebet had no fear about catching the balls over the middle, in traffic.  He caught everything in his sight.  He was 5'10" tall. and had a big heart.

He is also considered one of the best wide receivers the Jets ever had.

Elijah Moore has no fear about catching balls over the middle, he has a history of having great hands, and he is just under 5'10" tall.  He also seems to have a big heart.

The only difference I see right now, is that Moore is much faster, and is a "home run threat".

If Elijah Moore turns out to be anything like Wayne Chrebet, then I'm sold, hook, line and sinker!!!

What the hell?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No one’s trying to justify anything. It was a great pick.  
we need playmakers not mediocrity.   An extra 4th rounder is not remotely worth passing on an explosive playmaker like this. 

"great pick."

It's anything but a "great" pick. The same thing was said about Ruggs last year.  Slot Receivers are an easy get.  Sacrificing a premium pick for that when we could have acquired another and when already have a 27 year old solid slot was unwise.  Elija Moore is a slot receiver and will never play outside.  We gave up the possibility of a pair of premium players for him when there were so many slot receivers later.

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

So, the fact that Moore catches everything in sight, and is fearless over the middle like Wayne Chrebet was, does not allow any similarities at all??

I understand that Moore is not considered a "possession receiver", but catching 86 balls in 8 games tells me he is a possession receiver.  I guess I just am wrong,

we'll see.

I wish JD had moved down in 2 and picked up another 3rd, rather than an inside-WR when we already have a good one and there were many more to be had.

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

we need playmakers not mediocrity.   An extra 4th rounder is not remotely worth passing on an explosive playmaker like this. 

Lots of explosive inside WRs in this draft.  Luxury pick when the Jets can't afford it.  Bad decision.  Hopefully, the player lives up to JDs expectations and doesn't become another Ruggs-like disappointment.  Your statement "great pick" is just an opinion, not a fact.  It would have been great to get a pair of premium players instead of a slot WR even if he is a premium inside-WR.   JD gave up value that probably was there for the taking.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

we'll see.

I wish JD had moved down in 2 and picked up another 3rd, rather than an inside-WR when we already have a good one and there were many more to be had.

I think I just read in another post that it was said that the Jets were not offered a third round pick in trading down from #34.  If that's the case, then JD had no choice but to pick a player.

I would have preferred Jenkins at right tackle, but as I've said, Mel Kiper had Moore as the #16 prospect in the draft, and Moore might be the special playmaker that can win games this year.  

I think the Jets might pick up Carter at running back with their 2nd pick in round 4, and that would be really solid!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

What the hell?

the two players are not alike except for size.  LOL @ '|he and chrebet are willing to go over the middle" so-called similarity.  NFL WRs are usually willing to go over the middle.  Like that's a big reason to pick him there.  Of course he'll be in the middle, because he will hardly ever run outside.  The things this board will claim to justify the 2nd round decision are funny.  Hope he becomes  a stud so I can forget the terrible taste JD left in Jets fans mouths yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Love Chrebet, but this guy is a big play waiting to happen. Look at his catches over 20 yards and yards/game.

I think Moss is a better comparison to him when it comes to previous jets WRs, but this guy is stronger and better going over the middle 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think I just read in another post that it was said that the Jets were not offered a third round pick in trading down from #34.  If that's the case, then JD had no choice but to pick a player.

I would have preferred Jenkins at right tackle, but as I've said, Mel Kiper had Moore as the #16 prospect in the draft, and Moore might be the special playmaker that can win games this year.  

I think the Jets might pick up Carter at running back with their 2nd pick in round 4, and that would be really solid!

That post was merely speculating.  There is no reliable info but for unsubstantiated rumor that says what he was offered.  But this message board will believe anything they read so it doesn't matter anyway.  It's done. Too bad.  Thumbs down for JD on this one.  It better pan out.

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

I like Gainwell a bit more than Carter.  But I like them both.  Yes, I would have preferred Jenkins at T with that pick or a trade down.

• Upvote 1

In another thread I made the comparison that Moore reminds me of two wideouts the Dolphins once had.  They were two speedy water bugs.  The Mark brothers they were called.  Mark Clayton and Mark Duper.  Those two little speed guys  would be catching balls all over the field from Marino.  IMO Marino's best years was the combining of his quick release fast balls with those two speedsters.

Maybe that's what the Jets brain trust envisions could happen with the combining of ZW's special arm talents with the speedy elusiveness of Elijah Moore in LaFleur's WCO.  ZW quick releasing to a timing pattern short throws to an Elijah Moore in stride...and turning them into huge gains.  Zach Wilson moving around in the pocket seeing the elusive Elijah getting open deep.  Flicking his wrist and throwing a dime to Moore some 40 yards downfield.  

Elijah Moore was one of their top players on Jets board.  This tells me that JD-Saleh-LaFleur and Knapp envision a Mahomes to Tyreek Hill lethal type of combo can be the possibilities...between ZW and Elijah Moore.  That they too can become a special duo together.  And that could justify to JD the passing up other talents there at #34. 

JD is upgrading this offense in a big way.  On Day 3 Jets have six picks...two in each round.  He could still add a TE and RB with one more OL.  And the other three on Edge-CB-LB.  Can't wait to see who's gonna be picked.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"great pick."

It's anything but a "great" pick. The same thing was said about Ruggs last year.  Slot Receivers are an easy get.  Sacrificing a premium pick for that when we could have acquired another and when already have a 27 year old solid slot was unwise.  Elija Moore is a slot receiver and will never play outside.  We gave up the possibility of a pair of premium players for him when there were so many slot receivers later.

The best second round pick this team has made in the last 20 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The best second round pick this team has made in the last 20 years.

Man, have we heard that before.  So many times.  That claim been repeated more often than Phil1c repeats himself in a single thread.   The quote above has been stated here every year that we have had a 2nd round pick.  I guess the law of averages suggests that this time it's different.

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Lots of explosive inside WRs in this draft.  Luxury pick when the Jets can't afford it.  Bad decision.  Hopefully, the player lives up to JDs expectations and doesn't become another Ruggs-like disappointment.  Your statement "great pick" is just an opinion, not a fact.  It would have been great to get a pair of premium players instead of a slot WR even if he is a premium inside-WR.   JD gave up value that probably was there for the taking.

Now I know you're trolling...

This was the LEAST talented offense in the NFL - it wasn't even close.

Drafting an explosive, home run hitting WR is the least luxury pick this team could have made.

Fact, it was a great pick....Whether he hits or not.  The choice was the right one.

And what the heck does Ruggs have to do with anything?

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Man, have we heard that before.  So many times.  That claim been repeated more often than Phil1c repeats himself in a single thread.   The quote above has been stated here every year that we have had a 2nd round pick.  I guess the law of averages suggests that this time it's different.

Not from me.

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

don't want to beat a dead horse but Dwayne Eskridge, a player who is equally explosive and also returns kicks and punts, went 61 to the Seahawks.   That extra 4th rounder might have come handy today...  I think Moore will be a great player for the Jets but other than age, I think Eskridge would bring some of the same qualities to the table.  I will be watching how he does in Seattle...  

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

don't want to beat a dead horse but Dwayne Eskridge, a player who is equally explosive and also returns kicks and punts, went 61 to the Seahawks.   That extra 4th rounder might have come handy today...  I think Moore will be a great player for the Jets but other than age, I think Eskridge would bring some of the same qualities to the table.  I will be watching how he does in Seattle...  

Here's the thing.  You do keeping saying this but our GM didn't agree.  That's the point here.  

He said he had EM as a top 25 pick on his board.

Even if he had them close, picking up a 4th round pick running the risk that Eskridge would fall to them is not worth taking.  

Take the guy you have a mid-first round grade on and don't look back.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm unable to rate these guys on an individual basis. Just by position, my understanding is there are good/promising slot receivers on day 3. Or anyway more of them that can be groomed to take over for Crowder; the Jets had a desired upgrade (and not wanting to be trapped into an expensive Crowder extension or FA replacement come March) more than a true hole. 

If he’s all we and the team hope, I won’t care about his draft slot. It’s not like he was taken in the top 5-10 or anything, and after the top 20 imo there are no skill positions that are unworthy of the draft slot. Really FB and K/P are the only positions I wouldn't touch at #34 (or at any slot in the top ~100 / before day 3).

If he’s catching 1000+ yards and 6+ TDs, now and then opens up or totally turns around a game with a 50-80 yard TD - and really stretches out the defense to help the shorter passing and running games even when it’s not thrown his way - I’ll care less where he went. 

But if his equal (or 80+% of his equal) is right there for us on day 3, but say finding the equal for Surtain or another corner, or one of the day 2 TEs, edges, or even another round 2 OL requires burning a 1st rounder next year to get, then this pick is not so great. 

If Douglas can nail a couple starters (good ones, not by-default ones) on day 3 today then this pick optimization won’t matter, though. It’s not that there aren’t great players available between the top of rounds 4-6. It’s just that they’re a hell of a lot harder to find.

Slot receiver or not, he’s supposed to be a dynamic offensive weapon. If he is just that as a pro then the pick’s a hit. It’s not like we don’t have 2 picks in each round this year, and then again in rounds 1 and 2 (and 5) next year. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Here's the thing.  You do keeping saying this but our GM didn't agree.  That's the point here.  

He said he had EM as a top 25 pick on his board.

Even if he had them close, picking up a 4th round pick running the risk that Eskridge would fall to them is not worth taking.  

Take the guy you have a mid-first round grade on and don't look back.

I hear you. Can't really argue if he had him rated that high.  I'm digging the pick MOORE and MOORE ;-) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Now I know you're trolling...

This was the LEAST talented offense in the NFL - it wasn't even close.

Drafting an explosive, home run hitting WR is the least luxury pick this team could have made.

Fact, it was a great pick....Whether he hits or not.  The choice was the right one.

And what the heck does Ruggs have to do with anything?

Not trolling.  There were/are several other slot WRs in this draft rated highly (in fact Rondale Moore was rated higher by many).  Slot receivers so very often don't live up to their hype See: Ruggs (i've been using him as an example of forfeiting value for slot receiver hype).  (I guess I've never gotten over Santana Moss's sucktitude after all his inside-receiver hype.)  That was a bad pick for the Jets. 

Plenty of other talented slot WRs to grab with an extra pick.  Or just keep the 27 year old Crowder and build where there is far GREATER need.  JD has this kid valued way over the other slot WRs in this draft for some reason. Looking at Brugler, PFN, Walter, CBS, Draft Network etc., for what they are worth, suggests that JD may have over invested here. 

First, we gave up a pick + dropped more than another round on another pick to get our guard. Fine. That was costly.  So he definitely should have taken the opportunity to replenish that investment by gaining another pick and taking a different slot or just sticking to the good one we already have while building the other areas of far greater need (OL, TE, RB, EDGE, CB).  Slot was one of the very least areas of need for us.  

Meh.  Not impressed by the value of this pick. I hope the player makes me forget all that.   But as I said, I am thoroughly impressed in JD's confidence and I hope he is right.

It wouldn't be the NFL if someone, somewhere didn't declare a guy an all-time great 5 minutes after he was drafted. 

He's a good pick.  Isn't that enough for now?

Lets let the kid actually get a locker in an NFL Locker room BEFORE we start declaring him better than the most beloved WR in Franchise History, maybe? :-k

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1