Van Roten Interview

KRL

Just now, ryu79 said:

I believe he is a Jet fan from youth too. Really wanted him to be good last year.....

Yes, you are correct.  he went to Chaminade with my cousin.  tweeted out a pic of him as a kid dressed as a Jet for halloween and how this was like a dream come true for him.  really rooting for this guy.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Here's the YouTube version as well -

And I agree with OP, some shade thrown at Gase with "seven step drops", "complicated progressions".

Sounds like a good dude, but GVR needs to play better. I want to like him after this interview - but I can't forget Chase Winovich destroying you week 17.

lol not complicated....he called it RIDICULOUS  progressions hahahahahaha

• Upvote 1

Van Roten was actually pretty good in pass protection last year but he struggled in the run game. For what's its worth PFF has him as the 26th rated Guard entering the 2021 season. 

26. GREG VAN ROTEN, NEW YORK JETS

Part of the overhaul on the New York Jets offensive line, Van Roten has been a consistently above-average pass-blocker in the NFL, even if his run blocking has been less than ideal on a similarly consistent basis. In his first season with the Jets, he allowed 24 total pressures from 13 games of action.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Here's the YouTube version as well -

And I agree with OP, some shade thrown at Gase with "seven step drops", "complicated progressions".

Sounds like a good dude, but GVR needs to play better. I want to like him after this interview - but I can't forget Chase Winovich destroying you week 17.

He also explains how difficult it was last year with no off season due to Covid. Saying first game was first live snap with the guy next to him. Takes time to build chemistry and the line was all new last year. Should be better this year just because of preseason. 

• Upvote 2

Besides Roten being all gas...no gase.  He also comes across as someone confident that under LaFleur's wide zone scheme, he and the OL will be much better this year.  

Hope he's right and GVR plays well.  ZW and those weapons will benefit big time if both the right side, as well as the left side of the OL, play much better this year.  Since JD only drafted AVT, and made minor additions in FA.  He's expecting good OL play this year too.