Checklist for building a championship foundation in today's NFL

I think the jury is still out on what the Jets have. 

We just drafted a QB 2nd overall and used two 1st rounders on O-Lineman the last 2 years. We signed Lawson, and have some pretty good D-Lineman on the roster like Quinnen, JFM, and even Huff. 

The offensive playmaker part is still up in the air. Elijah Moore is supposed to be one of them. 

• Upvote 4

imo, unless the titans game was an anomaly, the jets have

qb

3 quality oline in becton, moses and avt

3 defensive play makers in qwill, meyers, mosely or maybe hall, carter

2 offensive playmakers in davis and crowder.  moore is still a rookie and can still go either way

2 pass rushers this is iffy. meyers has done well and so has qwill but i wouldn't exactly call them pass rushers.

clearly we aren't talking about top ten players but they are getting some good play out of these guys.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

What do the Jets have?

He's listing Passrusher and DPlaymaker separately? But I'll play:

QB (1) Zach - I'm a believer

OL (2.5) AVT, Moses, Becton

Off Playmaker (0) - We want Moore and Carter to grow into those roles. But also, 3 is a lot, unless you're counting Corey Davis-level guys, in which case we have 1.

Pass rusher (3) Huff, Williams, JFM

DPlaymaker (1) Mosely

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the jury is still out on what the Jets have. 

We just drafted a QB 2nd overall and used two 1st rounders on O-Lineman the last 2 years. We signed Lawson, and have some pretty good D-Lineman on the roster like Quinnen, JFM, and even Huff. 

The offensive playmaker part is still up in the air. Elijah Moore is supposed to be one of them. 

"and even Huff"? Huff is in the Top 5 of PBWR in the entire NFL and also in the top 1/4 of ends that being double teamed. He is quickly becoming an elite player.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

What do the Jets have?

To be honest I think QB and OL are in a different planet in terms of Championship foundation. WAY more important than any of the others. 

QB (1) Zach

Pass rusher (2) Huff JFM

Off Playmaker (3) Corey Davis

Def Playmaker (3) None really since PR is separate. Possibly Moseley. Even though he is not getting INTs Hall would be in this category since a lockdown corner is as valuable as a playmaker. Guidry is also close. He is a truly excellent tackler.

Quality OL (3) AVT Becton (Fant is probably just a bit short)

So still some holes to fill.

47 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

"and even Huff"? Huff is in the Top 5 of PBWR in the entire NFL and also in the top 1/4 of ends that being double teamed. He is quickly becoming an elite player.

He is. But he's not there yet. He's still been used situationally for the most part. Last week was by far the most amount of snaps he's ever played in an NFL game and he's earned it. 

He's an ascending player for sure.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There is no formula other than being really strong in a few areas and more importantly not being weak in any one area.

Strong QB play is absolute. In the entirety of the SB... very few teams got their with an average QB.

Yes, it happens, BUT SB winners usually have a HOF/MVP type QB.  

Almost forgot, they don't draft a safety when their QB is Josh McCown.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

QB (1) Zach - 

OL (2) AVT,  Becton

Off Playmaker (0) - I would like to think Moore is that but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe Davis, but Davis doesn't strike fear in DC.

Pass rusher (2) Quinnen and Lawson (the good one, that's injured)

DPlaymaker (0) I might put Hall in this group but he isn't creating turnovers like...Jamal. I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is a take-off on the list by the old Bills GM.  I will see if I can find it, but 3 playmakers each is more than that guy said.

This is something former Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley alluded to on an old MTS Podcast episode. Whaley suggested that championship teams have "six players that we're going to pay": quarterback, offensive tackle and a playmaker on offense; cornerback, pass rusher and a playmaker on defense. This philosophy was echoed to me in a recent conversation with a veteran personnel man who stressed that championship defenses have at least one difference maker along the front line, in the linebacker corps and in the secondary.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-five-defensive-triplets-jameis-winston-on-thin-ice-0ap3000000938239