Re-visiting Robbie Anderson

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So this is what you get when he gets the contract he was looking for. Who would have thunk?

81 targets

36 receptions

372 yards

4TDs

10.3 Y/R

Before you say, yeah, but Sam Darnold. His supposed hay day years were with Darnold also.

What about last year when he had competent QB play? 

• Upvote 2

Actually, his best years were with McCown and Bridgewater.  He supposedly fit the "vertical" receiver profile that we keep hearing Gase was looking for in the "Why does Mims blow?" articles.  If you go up his worst years, the only non-Darnold year was as a rookie UDFA in the aborted Fitzpatrick season in 2016 when he didn't play much at first and then had to deal with Petty and Geno.  

I think we are lucky that we didn't pay him much because I doubt these guys would love him for what they are trying to do, but he would have been a smarter play than Perriman in 2020.  I think he rates his contract more than JFM, though I get the paying for what you will get rather than what you already got.  The Panthers are in the sh*tter and I don't think it is his fault. They even gave him a 2 year extension this year to save some cap space this offseason 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Robby is exactly what some of us said he was: 

A limited skillset specialized piece, a nice-to-have #3/#4 type option if you have the QB who can make use of him via accurate long passes.

He was, and never will be, an NFL #1 WR.  You cannot and should not build your passing offense around him.

But as a #3 or deeper, he's perfectly fine.  That's the part that often gets lost in talk on him here, it's not that his critics here wanted rid of him, they just wanted him in a role appropriate to his skillset.

With WR, here in NY, we seem to always have this issue.  #2/#3 type talents forced to hold the #1 role and they just can't do it.  Davis is only the most recent (Another good #2 who isn't in any way a #1).

And before someone says it, yes, true legit #1's are rare.  You still have to find one. 

Shoving #2's and #3's in that role rarely works unless Tom Brady is throwing the ball.

Agree with everything you said. Problem is, Robbie does not view himself like that, now were his contract expectations in line with those expectations.

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Two drafts, and one of them is looking bad, and one is looking good. Let's get to three drafts before we decide if he is good or bad at drafting players. 

I"m hoping.   I am not a Douglas hater, Zach has me worried, he needs to nail this draft, and bring in a few good FA signings to help all the younger players.

I WANT Douglas to be good.  I want Zach to be good.   Hell, I want to root for my team to win games, for the playoffs in January, not the Jets playoffs, which is the draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Joe has done an excellent job, other than actually drafting players.

Good trades, let most players go when they wanted too much money, accumulating draft picks.   He just isn't good at, you know, drafting

Its still too soon to say. Behchton looked real promising and his injury this season is a fluke. Bryce Hall looks  good. Ups and downs with Ashton Davis and Perine is serviceable thus far. The past draft looks pretty solid. Zach rookie of the week twice, Moore once, AVT looks like a beast as well both Michael Carters. Promise for next year and moving forward. 

• Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Robby is exactly what some of us said he was: 

A limited skillset specialized piece, a nice-to-have #3/#4 type option if you have the QB who can make use of him via accurate long passes.

He was, and never will be, an NFL #1 WR.  You cannot and should not build your passing offense around him.

But as a #3 or deeper, he's perfectly fine.  That's the part that often gets lost in talk on him here, it's not that his critics here wanted rid of him, they just wanted him in a role appropriate to his skillset.

With WR, here in NY, we seem to always have this issue.  #2/#3 type talents forced to hold the #1 role and they just can't do it.  Davis is only the most recent (Another good #2 who isn't in any way a #1).

And before someone says it, yes, true legit #1's are rare.  You still have to find one. 

Shoving #2's and #3's in that role rarely works unless Tom Brady is throwing the ball.

Exactly.

As a Jet, he would disappear for weeks, have a good game or two and then disappear again.

He's the same way in Carolina. An incredibly inconsistent player.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Trotter said:

i simply never understood the love for Robbie. Maybe because our receivers were so bad and he was a glimmer of hope. Robbie would make some of the most difficult catches that you can put on a receiver. Then throw him a ball he has to slightly fight for - and it is either incomplete or intercepted. Very tough guy to figure out.

Whether JD truly did not want him back by putting a big number out there or he lucked out by Robbie saying no - it was one of the better decisions for this franchise.

Our receivers were Marshall and Decker when he got here. 

Just now, y2k8 said:

Exactly.

As a Jet, he would disappear for weeks, have a good game or two and then disappear again.

He's the same way in Carolina. An incredibly inconsistent player.

I'm not even going to pretend Robby is some great player because he isn't -- but it's really hard to be "consistent" as a WR when you play with exclusively bad QBs.

The only time he played with a (borderline) starting caliber QB in Bridgewater he caught 95 balls and had a 1000 yards. His average dropped because TB has no arm and can't stretch the field vertically but I don't think it's fair to say he's "incredibly inconsistent" when he's completely dependent on bad players for his production.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I"m hoping.   I am not a Douglas hater, Zach has me worried, he needs to nail this draft, and bring in a few good FA signings to help all the younger players.

I WANT Douglas to be good.  I want Zach to be good.   Hell, I want to root for my team to win games, for the playoffs in January, not the Jets playoffs, which is the draft.

Zach is raw, but he has the tools. He is exactly the type of QB who should have been holding the clipboard for a year. I'm not getting worried until I see him making the same mistakes in 2022. I've seen enough of what he can do to be excited about his future. When the game slows down for him, he has the potential to be an elite QB.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He was a possession receiver at best. 3TDs, 11.5 Y/R. 

Not a big contract guy to me.

I think we both know that Robby is one of the best deep threats in the game and the fact he was able to show more should actually be a compliment and not a knock.  Teddy B. isnt exactly known for challenging all parts of the field w/ his arm strength.

You may not know this, but 95 receptions in a single season would be good for 2nd all time in Jets franchise history behind Bradon Marshall's 2015 season w/ 109 and Al Toon's 1988 season of 93.

And his contract was a bargain, lets be real.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not even going to pretend Robby is some great player because he isn't -- but it's really hard to be "consistent" as a WR when you play with exclusively bad QBs.

The only time he played with a (borderline) starting caliber QB in Bridgewater he caught 95 balls and had a 1000 yards. His average dropped because TB has no arm and can't stretch the field vertically but I don't think it's fair to say he's "incredibly inconsistent" when he's completely dependent on bad players for his production.

Crowder managed to be consistent despite 2 years with Sam and back ups.

Different type of receiver, but he was productive week in and week out in 2019 and 2020.

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Agree with everything you said. Problem is, Robbie does not view himself like that, now were his contract expectations in line with those expectations.

And that is why he had to be let go to test the market and (ultimately) sign elsewhere.

I don't think our WR corp. is worse today for not having him.  Not like Zach could hit him deep accurately anyway at this stage.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Joe has done an excellent job, other than actually drafting players.

Good trades, let most players go when they wanted too much money, accumulating draft picks.   He just isn't good at, you know, drafting

2020 draft will be about as bad as it gets if Becton isn’t a player 

2021 looks good with the exception of one massive blemish so far

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I think we both know that Robby is one of the best deep threats in the game and the fact he was able to show more should actually be a compliment and not a knock.  Teddy B. isnt exactly known for challenging all parts of the field w/ his arm strength.

You may not know this, but 95 receptions in a single season would be good for 2nd all time in Jets franchise history behind Bradon Marshall's 2015 season w/ 109 and Al Toon's 1988 season of 93.

He has ability, but he’s also a loon. This was a 6’3” guy who ran a 4.3 and went undrafted. 

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Robby Anderson seems like an odd rhetorical hill to die on, I got to say.

Even if you're right, so what at this point? 

It's not like Zach Wilson would have provided him "consistent" QB play, especially deep and especially with accuracy.  And with the WR's we've drafted and signed, he's be the #4 or $5 on this roster, like it or not.  Davis, Cole, Crowder, Moore all would be playing ahead of him in regular-down work.

So what point are you making, that we should have kept him?  He wasn't a difference maker here.  He wanted #1 WR money.  So when we didn't give it to him, he choose to walk, and failed to get #1 money elsewhere. 

Such is life sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Last year, same team, DJ Moore had 18.1 YPR 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

He has ability, but he’s also a loon. This was a 6’3” guy who ran a 4.3 and went undrafted. 

True but all WR's are loons.  Adam Thielen went undrafted, 6'1, 4.5.  Not saying Robby is that but it happens at the WR position.