Re-visiting Robbie Anderson

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Agree to disageree.

Guaranteeing Breshad Perriman + Corey Davis $43MM over 3 seasons + drafting Denzel Mims in round 2

vs

Guaranteeing Robby Anderson $20MM over 2 seasons (the first of which he had 1100 yards)

So we can agree to disagree, but in terms of outcomes imo yes what he did instead was demonstrably worse.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Guaranteeing Breshad Perriman + Corey Davis $43MM over 3 seasons and drafting Denzel Mims in round 2

vs

Guaranteeing Robby Anderson $20MM over 2 seasons (the first of which he had 1100 yards)

So we can agree to disagree, but imo yes what he did instead was demonstrably worse.

That is not my argument. For me, this is not a Joe Douglas thing in total (although it has a fit there. It is, do the Jets miss Robbie Andersen, for what he is being paid? That is all. 

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is not my argument. For me, this is not a Joe Douglas thing in total (although it has a fit there. It is, do the Jets miss Robbie Andersen, for what he is being paid? That is all. 

They would have also missed paying Perriman and Davis. Paying Anderson (as one year underpaid one year overpaid in terms of results) doesn't exist in a vacuum whereby one just adds it to everything else they did without him.

2020 Perriman: 12 games, 505 yards, $6.5MM

2021 Davis: 9 games, 492 yards, $14MM

Option A = 2020-2021 Perriman+Davis

• 21 games 997 yards $20.5MM
  • Plus $13MM more guaranteed in '22

Option B = 2020-2021 Anderson

• 29 games, 1468 yards, $20MM
  • Free and clear of the contract in '22
  • In line for a compensatory draft pick in '23

Few would objectively choose Option A with the benefit of hindsight (as you're doing now). I'd point to this in JD's favor if he instead actually did something more favorable.

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jif, first let me say this. You are a great poster here, and I respect your opinions and you have a lot of football knowledge. I will start with that premise,  because I believe it, and do not want to get scolded.

All I was stating here was my opinion. It does not make it right, wrong or indifferent. This is football and neither of us are geniuses in that regard, as much as we would like to believe.

That said, sometimes you treat this site as more than that. For you it seems to be personal. Sometimes you do not want to value the others "opinion", and you come across with a "I am taking my ball and going home" stance. Not sure how that leads to productive conversation. 

Not meaning to eviscerate you here and maybe I am a little sensitive. So go ahead and skewer me. 

First off, I love you.  Secondly, yes, you're being overly sensitive.  I'm not taking this personal at all. lol  In general, I dont take any of this personal unless someone goes there and I typically dont even get upset about that...the posters who I dont acknowledge are the "you dont know anything about Football" guys.  No use for them, and there are a few.

All that said, go back and check out our chat.  I asked you legitimate questions to your topic.  No attacks, no judgement, just simply "hey, have you thought about this?" because I enjoy banter with you.  Then you got a little snarky, giving me some silly responses to well thought out responses so I stopped, gave a little snark back and waved the white flag because clearly youre not going to appreciate my angle.  Which is fine. 

To summarize, I'm great with you not thinking Robby was worth resigning, I just disagree with the logic you've used to reach that opinion and that's ok, I will love you either way.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

First off, I love you.  Secondly, yes, you're being overly sensitive.  I'm not taking this personal at all. lol  In general, I dont take any of this personal unless someone goes there and I typically dont even get upset about that...the posters who I dont acknowledge are the "you dont know anything about Football" guys.  No use for them, and there are a few.

All that said, go back and check out our chat.  I asked you legitimate questions to your topic.  No attacks, no judgement, just simply "hey, have you thought about this?" because I enjoy banter with you.  Then you got a little snarky, giving me some silly responses to well thought out responses so I stopped, gave a little snark back and waved the white flag because clearly youre not going to appreciate my angle.  Which is fine. 

To summarize, I'm great with you not thinking Robby was worth resigning, I just disagree with the logic you've used to reach that opinion and that's ok, I will love you either way.

Back off, buddy. I love him more. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They would have also missed paying Perriman and Davis. Paying Anderson (as one year underpaid one year overpaid in terms of results) doesn't exist in a vacuum whereby one just adds it to everything else they did without him.

2020 Perriman: 12 games, 505 yards, $6.5MM

2021 Davis: 9 games, 492 yards, $14MM

Option A = 2020-2021 Perriman+Davis

• 21 games 997 yards $20.5MM
  • Plus $13MM more guaranteed in '22

Option B = 2020-2021 Anderson

• 29 games, 1468 yards, $20MM
  • Free and clear of the contract in '22
  • In line for a compensatory draft pick in '23

Few would objectively choose Option A with the benefit of hindsight (as you're doing now). I'd point to this in JD's favor if he instead actually did something more favorable.

A lot of assumptions there in a vacuum. Anyway. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

A lot of assumptions there in a vacuum. Anyway. 

Like the assumption that Anderson would've played just as poorly in 2021 if he wasn't given another extension that Douglas also didn't offer but Carolina did? 

Look, if you want to base the decision on outcomes, fine. But the Jets' outcomes don't compare favorably and they're on the hook for $13MM for Corey Davis next year, which he most certainly would not get as a UFA this year and the Jets would get out of in a heartbeat if they could.

Also I love you more than JiF. Remember that, and don't fall for his ruse. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Like the assumption that Anderson would've played just as poorly in 2021 if he wasn't given another extension that Douglas also didn't offer but Carolina did? 

Look, if you want to base the decision on outcomes, fine. But the Jets' outcomes don't compare favorably and they're on the hook for $13MM for Corey Davis next year, which he most certainly would not get as a UFA this year and the Jets would get out of in a heartbeat if they could.

Also I love you more than JiF. Remember that, and don't fall for his ruse. 

I will fight to the death for Scott.

Steel cage match?  You scared?

• Post of the Week 1

The thing is, a year ago letting this JAG go was an epic disaster for many on this board. And after week 1,  trading Darnold was a disaster too.  Can we use these as an example to let things play out over 2 seasons before we categorize players?  That includes Becton, Wilson, Moore, A Davis, C Davis, and on and on........

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So this is what you get when he gets the contract he was looking for. Who would have thunk?

81 targets

36 receptions

372 yards

4TDs

10.3 Y/R

Before you say, yeah, but Sam Darnold. His supposed hay day years were with Darnold also.

Damn I didn't realize his year was that bad. This is awesome news. Joe Douglas got this one right.  How are the targets and receptions so far off though?  What the hell, that is a brutal difference.

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Damn I didn't realize his year was that bad. This is awesome news. Joe Douglas got this one right.  How are the targets and receptions so far off though?  What the hell, that is a brutal difference.

Joe Douglas got a lot of things right.  Mostly when he let Idzik/Macc players walk or traded them, he was right.  

In fact, the one big mistake I thought he made was letting Myers leave.  But that turned out to be smart this year as well.

If Wilson comes around, JD is hands down the best GM we've had in decades.  If not, then it's a much tougher conversation.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Okay, by that definition you too must be passionate about this issue seeing as you see the need to fight it out with the people who were pro-Anderson.

Yes, I am passionate, in a pro-allowing-Anderson-to-walk position. 

He was not worth his asking price, nor was our team needing to put a limited-skill player like him in the #1 WR role. 

His walking opened up opportunity for other players/draft picks.  Some clearly didn't work out (Perriman, Mims sadly), but we're aiming higher than slotting a "go deep!" #3 type as our #1 WR. and for that, I am happy.

I also wouldn't call it "fighting", I'd call it an exchange of ideas and beliefs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Joe Douglas got a lot of things right.  Mostly when he let Idzik/Macc players walk or traded them, he was right.  

In fact, the one big mistake I thought he made was letting Myers leave.  But that turned out to be smart this year as well.

If Wilson comes around, JD is hands down the best GM we've had in decades.  If not, then it's a much tougher conversation.

Yeah I agree. Right now he got the easy part right, let go of all the players, they suck lol.  The first draft eh, but this years draft looks so promising, especially if Wilson is the guy.

as i recall douglas said one of his regrets was not re-signing robbie.  and he said it was because he thought they couldn't offer the money they thought he would sign for.  robbie signed for less in carolina.  whether or not that's the true story or not, only douglas and gase know for sure.

10 hours ago, fullblast said:

I was definitely wrong on Robby. Thought he was an ascending player and hated that we let him go. Still believe he can be solid with a decent QB throwing to him but in the end I'm happy with how things have played out.

Don't feel bad.  I was pro-Perriman as his replacement... ?

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So this is what you get when he gets the contract he was looking for. Who would have thunk?

81 targets

36 receptions

372 yards

4TDs

10.3 Y/R

Before you say, yeah, but Sam Darnold. His supposed hay day years were with Darnold also.

Becsuse the money we pissed away on Corey Davis and Perriman really were smart

8 hours ago, Icer said:

Dude has been dogging it all year, and a malcontent on top of it to boot. Not all the blame goes to Sweet Sammy

All the blame?  Nah.  But Sam Darnold being the game's worst deep ball thrower over the last 4 years certainly didn't give Robby much of a reason to be in a good mood.