All Zach Wilson throws vs Jax

doitny

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What do you think is more likely: every Jets receiver has coincidentally had a down year all at once or the rookie quarterback who has struggled with accuracy for the far majority of his eleven starts has been a statistical drag on every player assigned to catch those predominantly off-target passes this year? 

I think it’s more likely that we’ve been picking up the wrong guys at the position ever since Decker and Marshall left. 

Again, Keelan Cole had his best performance this year with Zach under center.  Guess what conveniently happened that week leading up to the game?  Crowder was activated and Cole was pushed to WR4, behind Davis, Crowder, and Berrios.

What were the excuses for Cole when Mike White, Josh Johnson, and Flacco were in?  Let’s take a look at those juicy numbers:

30BF8DE8-0972-43B2-8D49-9773FAF30850.jpeg.cfff5b00f01610b1daa5336585c2e50f.jpeg

Hm; that’s strange.  He was still invisible, outside of a few catches in a prime time blow-out loss.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think it’s more likely that we’ve been picking up the wrong guys at the position ever since Decker and Marshall left. 

Again, Keelan Cole had his best performance this year with Zach under center.  Guess what conveniently happened that week leading up to the game?  Crowder was activated and Cole was pushed to WR4, behind Davis, Crowder, and Berrios.

What were the excuses for Cole when Mike White, Josh Johnson, and Flacco were in?  Let’s take a look at those juicy numbers:

30BF8DE8-0972-43B2-8D49-9773FAF30850.jpeg.cfff5b00f01610b1daa5336585c2e50f.jpeg

Hm; that’s strange.  He was still invisible, outside of a few catches in a prime time blow-out loss.

I’m not sure you want to bring up the passing game stats of the games Zach Wilson didn’t start because that’s never going to be favorable to Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It wasn’t piss today and he didn’t have a poor game. All I’m sayin. So when I’m feeling pretty good and I waltz on JN per usual and I see this lol… I kinda just let y’all have it because damn.. I don’t share that opinion so idk what to say

He didn’t play poorly but the team did overall.  Yes, we had tons of players out, but the Jaguars had key guys out too, and they suck. 

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I just want to know what you guys wanted him to accumulate yards wise with everyone infected with the Rona Lisa 19 but whatevs

He threw for 145 yards against the Texans with a full complement of weapons.

I really don’t want to hear any more excuses for the kid.  He needs to show he belongs in this league, and soon.  He’s not a midround project.  Davis Mills is and has played better by a pretty wide margin today.  Led Houston to 41 pts today and I’m sure the Texans had some guys out with COVID too.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

No, it’s that you’re making dozens of posts trashing him after a game-managing performance where the order of the day was game-management, particularly when starting all backups and they’re spotted a special teams TD and gain almost 300 yards on the ground. To expect 250 (never mind 450) passing yards in such a situation is intellectual dishonesty to any minimally-objective observer.

Hes sucked basically all year and was OK today.  How am i being unfair to the kid.

TBF, we’ll know a lot more next season.  We’ll have had 4 top 2 round picks (if things hold to form) plus Zach and Saleh will be in year 2.  I’m not optimistic but I realize there are a lot of unknowns and room for growth.  I just hate the idea that we might stink again and making the same excuses.  Last year was horrendous and this year hasn’t been much better.  Imagine going through another year of this plus thinking “we have to start all over at QB” again. 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

TBF, we’ll know a lot more next season.  We’ll have had 4 top 2 round picks (if things hold to form) plus Zach and Saleh will be in year 2.  I’m not optimistic but I realize there are a lot of unknowns and room for growth.  I just hate the idea that we might stink again and making the same excuses.  Last year was horrendous and this year hasn’t been much better.  Imagine going through another year of this plus thinking “we have to start all over at QB” again. 

I’d like to Josh Rosen the kid so we can build a competitive team around Gardner Minshew. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just of the opinion that games like today’s aren’t the compelling evidence of Wilson turning a corner as some would insist. I get that it’s encouraging that he’s not throwing INTs, but isn’t that more a product of the 3” leash he’s on? And I’m not solely skeptical of the player, I’m skeptical of the player and the people in charge of developing the player. It would appear that they began the season thinking they had Pat Mahomes, (which was predictably disastrous) and, halfway through, they changed course and decided he was going to be Garropolo Lite. They’re eight months into the education of this guy and they’ve reverted all the way back to QB 101 stuff when he should be showing a lot more than that. I said in another thread that we’re not going to know anything about Zach Wilson until halfway through next year because of the injuries, because of Covid, because of Knapp and Beck, but mostly because Saleh and LaFleur have pulled the string on the kid after ******* him up early. It’s just slipshod handling of a QB prospect that was always going to need a lot of work. This is a long way if saying that the org has burned a lot of time and resources to get to a point where their franchise QB is playing at a QB3 level, and there’s not much to show for it. Lawrence and Fields are statistical disasters, but at least they’re ******* up with the full slate of a representative NFL playbook. 

Bottom line, for me: Saleh looks substandard, Wilson looks like he has some ability, but I don’t get how anyone looks at this Jets HC-QB package and feels like it’s moving in the right direction, particularly if they get squashed the next two weeks. 

Who said he’s turned a corner because he game-managed a win vs the Jaguars who somehow suck even worse than the Jets?

Saleh - and most of his coaching staff - have left me supremely unimpressed. I still think so many newbies teaching so many rookies & 2nd year players was the height of arrogance. Either that or no one else wanted to work for him, but I’ll go with arrogance for now since he was allegedly well-regarded when he was first hired here.

I don’t even think we disagree much about Wilson, and if all they bring in next year along with him is Flacco again I’ll be justifiably disappointed. I get not drafting another QB this year, and don’t think they should myself. He’s the project, and the alternative should be someone who’s proven he’s not a project, even if he’s nothing great either.

There has to be at least 1 QB on next year’s roster who’s capable of QBing 15+ games if Wilson starts to look terrible again. One year of that was bad enough negligence. Two years of treating the QB room like this is the NY Zachwilsons is like counting infinity plus one. 

There’ll be a handful of such options in FA next year. Few (or none) will make our hearts go pitter-pat, but there are other people to evaluate on offense other than Wilson, even if he’s the most important to evaluate.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who said he’s turned a corner because he game-managed a win vs the Jaguars who somehow suck even worse than the Jets?

Saleh - and most of his coaching staff - have left me supremely unimpressed. I still think so many newbies teaching so many rookies & 2nd year players was the height of arrogance. Either that or no one else wanted to work for him, but I’ll go with arrogance for now since he was allegedly well-regarded when he was first hired here.

I don’t even think we disagree much about Wilson, and if all they bring in next year along with him is Flacco again I’ll be justifiably disappointed. I get not drafting another QB this year, and don’t think they should myself. He’s the project, and the alternative should be someone who’s proven he’s not a project, even if he’s nothing great either.

There has to be at least 1 QB on next year’s roster who’s capable of QBing 15+ games if Wilson starts to look terrible again. One year of that was bad enough negligence. Two years of treating the QB room like this is the NY Zachwilsons is like counting infinity plus one. 

There’ll be a handful of such options in FA next year. Few (or none) will make our hearts go pitter-pat, but there are other people to evaluate on offense other than Wilson, even if he’s the most important to evaluate.

Honestly I don’t even want a quality Vet QB if Zach stinks next year.  Let us vie for the top pick and draft another QB (Bryce Young?). Btw from your post I guess you’re saying next year is make-or-break for Zach. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hes sucked basically all year and was OK today.  How am i being unfair to the kid.

Because the tenor of your posts suggests he was specifically a failure today. e.g. as I’ve already mentioned counting dropped potentially intercept-able throws while willfully ignoring dropped, perfect passes as though they didn’t happen (let alone to extend any drives). Also dismissing about half his yards & TDs gained as though they were not there by only repeating passing yards when referring to yards-gained today.

No one serious is anointing him anything because of today’s game, and nobody serious is saying he’s had a good rookie season. He was fine, with some really good plays with his feet and arm (even if a couple of the latter were outright dropped) yet your posts make it sound like he was total garbage and useless.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Honestly I don’t even want a quality Vet QB if Zach stinks next year.  Let us vie for the top pick and draft another QB (Bryce Young?). Btw from your post I guess you’re saying next year is make-or-break for Zach. 

Well we differ on that, then. The highest picked QB isn’t necessarily the best QB. Somehow other teams are able to make do without a QB drafted in the top 3, and if Douglas moves down he might be able to again double-up in round 1 & more (enough ammo to trade up if needed). 

There are other players to evaluate and if Wilson is so horrible they don’t know what it is they have, then it can easily cost more than 5-10 slots in a single draft. Either because they’re not identifying just how good their wepponz actually are, or by overestimating them and heading into the next season thinking it’s a better setting for the next rookie than it really is. 

It doesn’t exist in a vacuum where all there is to know are draft chart points. JMO.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not a great feat when you end up finishing with less than 5 YPA.

Davis Mills, for comparison purposes, averaged 9.5 YPA today. 

Over all game I would label it a very good game running the ball but Zach throwing ? not so much. Did he break 50 yards in the first half ? Oh wait I forgot he didn't have too

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m just of the opinion that games like today’s aren’t the compelling evidence of Wilson turning a corner as some would insist. I get that it’s encouraging that he’s not throwing INTs, but isn’t that more a product of the 3” leash he’s on? And I’m not solely skeptical of the player, I’m skeptical of the player and the people in charge of developing the player. It would appear that they began the season thinking they had Pat Mahomes, (which was predictably disastrous) and, halfway through, they changed course and decided he was going to be Garropolo Lite. They’re eight months into the education of this guy and they’ve reverted all the way back to QB 101 stuff when he should be showing a lot more than that. I said in another thread that we’re not going to know anything about Zach Wilson until halfway through next year because of the injuries, because of Covid, because of Knapp and Beck, but mostly because Saleh and LaFleur have pulled the string on the kid after ******* him up early. It’s just slipshod handling of a QB prospect that was always going to need a lot of work. This is a long way if saying that the org has burned a lot of time and resources to get to a point where their franchise QB is playing at a QB3 level, and there’s not much to show for it. Lawrence and Fields are statistical disasters, but at least they’re ******* up with the full slate of a representative NFL playbook. 

Bottom line, for me: Saleh looks substandard, Wilson looks like he has some ability, but I don’t get how anyone looks at this Jets HC-QB package and feels like it’s moving in the right direction, particularly if they get squashed the next two weeks. 

i blame Mike White for the switch.

before even though he struggled with the short passes he still let a few rip downfield. even on the play he got injured on against NE was a 40 yd bomb for a PI. then White started on the 1 yd line.  

then after the Cincy game and seeing Mac dip and dunk us to death everybody wanted that from Zach even though that's not who he is.

hes come back and doesn't even try to throw it deep. maybe your right that the short passes got so bad they went back to QB 101, but he has seemed to have a handle on it now. they have to let him go deep. 

and that would be my only concern now. 

i remember not too long-ago people on this board were saying i just wish he would stop bouncing the easy throws. lead his receivers. well, hes done that now 2 weeks in a row. he teachable. now on to the next problem.

hey we all wish he was throwing for over 300 yds and 3 TDs a game but he is taking longer to get there. but the train is moving forward. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because the tenor of your posts suggests he was specifically a failure today. e.g. as I’ve already mentioned counting dropped potentially intercept-able throws while willfully ignoring dropped, perfect passes as though they didn’t happen (let alone to extend any drives). Also dismissing about half his yards & TDs gained as though they were not there by only repeating passing yards when referring to yards-gained today.

No one serious is anointing him anything because of today’s game, and nobody serious is saying he’s had a good rookie season. He was fine, with some really good plays with his feet and arm (even if a couple of the latter were outright dropped) yet your posts make it sound like he was total garbage and useless.

An OK game by your # 2 overall pick who has sucked most of the year IS a failure.  That’s the point I’m making.  

He has 2 games left to do better than “OK” and salvage a terrible overall rookie season.  Look who we’re playing to finish the season.  Think that’s happening? 

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Over all game I would label it a very good game running the ball but Zach throwing ? not so much. Did he break 50 yards in the first half ? Oh wait I forgot he didn't have too

A coaching staff “playing not to lose” in a lost season with your highly drafted QB is certainly not ideal…

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’d like to Josh Rosen the kid so we can build a competitive team around Gardner Minshew. 

Listen - the Jets need to figure out how to draft and develop a good young QB. Until they can do that, they will never truly turn the franchise around. It makes sense to try and develop Wilson with this young core and all these draft picks.

Giving up on the number 2 overall pick after his rookie season is a hard sell. It generally doesn’t make sense to spend the number 2 overall pick on a guy if you aren’t willing to give him more than his rookie season to develop. Arizona was a bizarre situation in which the newly hired head coach had an established relationship with the top QB prospect in the draft AND they had the number 1 overall pick.   

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A coaching staff “playing not to lose” in a lost season with your highly drafted QB is certainly not ideal…

If Wilson does something good in the next 2 games I'll be shocked.

Zach is not here to be Lamar Jackson. I'm not good with him throwing for 100 yards when Jax had their hands full with our running game and the threat of the run by Wilson that was established early. 

I would have been more excited if Zach threw for 260 and a couple TD's rather than him running for 89 because he's not here to run the football he's here to prove that insane arm talent and escapability translates to the NFL . By now he should have settled down and we will see if he actually has vs Buffalo and the Buccs . Everyone on this freakin forum was all over Mike White vs the Bills because he threw 3 Ints in the second half trying to make something happen but he did throw for 252  lets see how Zach handles that same team and if he gets hammered all the excuses that will follow and FWIW Wilson has about 6 more NFL starts than MW.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except it’s not a failure today. He did what was asked of him.

It’s a game. You’re making it a statement on the rest of his season; I’m not. 

If you want to show all the wide open receivers he missed downfield, I’ll certainly watch. 

But comparing it to stats resulting from a 50-dropback game from White, with actual starting receivers on the field, is silliness. It was never going to happen.

He had 2 possessions - one of them cut short by a 3rd down drop - until there were 5 min left in the first half. Then that drive started with 6 straight runs and he didn’t throw it until it was 4th down (which was completed); next series was extended with Wilson scrambling for 17 yards; then 2 more runs.

1st half recap:

• Drive 1 = Wilson long rushing TD
  • Drive 2 = Wilson passed well enough but WR dropped a perfect pass on 3rd & 9
  • Drive 3 = Wilson didn’t throw the ball until they were on Jacksonville’s 28, and ate up 17 of those with another Wilson run.

Under those circumstances, pick your favorite QB and tell me how many passing yards a QB should have to close the first half. That doesn’t mean he’s as good as some HOFer; it means there weren’t enough yards to gain, and when there were the receiver dropped the 1st down to end the drive.

Omg you’re not even reading what I’m writing are you. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Listen - the Jets need to figure out how to draft and develop a good young QB. Until they can do that, they will never truly turn the franchise around. It makes sense to try and develop Wilson with this young core and all these draft picks.

Giving up on the number 2 overall pick after his rookie season is a hard sell. It generally doesn’t make sense to spend the number 2 overall pick on a guy if you aren’t willing to give him more than his rookie season to develop. Arizona was a bizarre situation in which the newly hired head coach had an established relationship with the top QB prospect in the draft AND they had the number 1 overall pick.   

The Jets just don’t seem capable of drafting a good QB.  In which case it’s time to take a breather from trying to find one in the draft.  Get a vet in here and let’s take a deep breath for a year or so.  Maybe hire a coaching staff we can trust if we don’t have it currently.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Omg you’re not even reading what I’m writing are you. 

I am. It’s just ridiculous. 

The Jets won. The struggling QB game-managed a win when game-management was the order of the day.

And since there isn’t much to poke holes at - as much as you’re trying by isolating pass yards with all backup receivers and no need to pass deep - today is still to be a referendum on the entire uninspiring rookie season.

Believe me, everyone gets what you’re saying. It’s not a subtle point, and no one is arguing that he’s had a good rookie season, and it’s really enough, though. 

You sound angry they won and that he didn’t fall flat on his face today, so you’ll find something else instead.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, doitny said:

i blame Mike White for the switch.

before even though he struggled with the short passes he still let a few rip downfield. even on the play he got injured on against NE was a 40 yd bomb for a PI. then White started on the 1 yd line.  

then after the Cincy game and seeing Mac dip and dunk us to death everybody wanted that from Zach even though that's not who he is.

hes come back and doesn't even try to throw it deep. maybe your right that the short passes got so bad they went back to QB 101, but he has seemed to have a handle on it now. they have to let him go deep. 

and that would be my only concern now. 

i remember not too long-ago people on this board were saying i just wish he would stop bouncing the easy throws. lead his receivers. well, hes done that now 2 weeks in a row. he teachable. now on to the next problem.

hey we all wish he was throwing for over 300 yds and 3 TDs a game but he is taking longer to get there. but the train is moving forward. 

If Dink and Dunk is not who Zach is he's not playing in the right offense. This offense is built on the short pass always has been . Its an extension of the running game and then late in the game it opens up more opportunities. Brady and Montana ran that to perfection and the key is being able to throw the ball, keep long sustained drives alive and keep the other team off the field. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets won. The struggling QB game-managed a win when game-management was the order of the day.

And since there isn’t much to poke holes at - as much as you’re trying by isolating pass yards with all backup receivers and no need to pass deep - today is still to be a referendum on the entire uninspiring rookie season.

Believe me, everyone gets what you’re saying. It’s not a subtle point, and no one is arguing that he’s had a good rookie season, and it’s really enough, though. 

You sound angry they won and that he didn’t fall flat on his face today, so you’ll find something else instead.

I’m mad we won a meaningless December game AND the QB is probably a bust. 

If Wilson had balled out in a statement win, or something close to it, I wouldn’t be upset right now.

Darnold being better than Wilson as a rookie with only 2 games left in the season should be concerning to everyone.  So forgive me if I’m not in a celebratory mood over one of the most empty wins the Jets have ever accomplished, other than perhaps the Texans’ win earlier in the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If Dink and Dunk is not who Zach is he's not playing in the right offense. This offense is built on the short pass always has been . Its an extension of the running game and then late in the game it opens up more opportunities. Brady and Montana ran that to perfection and the key is being able to throw the ball, keep long sustained drives alive and keep the other team off the field. 

The off schedule TD pass and 52 yard TD on 3rd and 5 and 20 yard run on 4th and 2 are nice to have additions in a dink and dunk game.  

They will open it up more next season.  

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

they played like that cause he was out his 3 starting WRs. the only one who you could trust was Berrios. and missing 2 starting guards. the plan was obviously to run the ball and they let us run all over them.

why force him to throw to the WRs if he didnt have too.? cause you wanted him to? 

it was a smart gameplan with all the missing key guys on offense. im sure if they stopped the run you would have seen more passes. next 2 weeks you should see more passes.

im sure Belichick didnt give 2 sh*ts what anyone thought when mac throw 3 passes the whole game. but Josh Allen threw 30. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We won, yes,  but if the Jags were competent at all which they are not nor is Lawrence they should have easily won this game on that last drive. I remember when I used to say a guy like Mark Sanchez put us in a position to win and we would lose on the last drive and people would come back with "well he should have scored 2 TD's in the 4th rather than a TD and a FG" and blame the loss on him. Yet here it seems different . We ran for a 260 yards and could not get the ball in the endzone to put up 2 TD's in the 4th which would have sealed the victory. Bevel and Lawrence sh*t the bed big time on that last drive and we won because of it well we can blame shotty for ******* us out of a possible #1 overall pick :)