All Zach Wilson throws vs Jax

doitny

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Eye Test?

Zach looks better.  He's starting to look like an NFL QB.  He's moving better, pocket awareness better, accuracy better.  That run... holy sh*t.  There's hope.  

If Zach gets one big breakout game, we'll have the same situation we had after Sam's first year.  

Yesterday was the day for Zach to have his breakout game, even with all the COVID inactives.  Jacksonville is terrible.  

Think it’s coming against Tampa or Buffalo?  Good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I actually think Zachs flaws are mechanical.  Watching the video in this thread, there were few if any instances where he took a solid 3 or 5 step drop, planted his feet correctly and threw in a rhythm.  His arm talent is great, the off platform stuff is good and he showed his athleticism yesterday, but he has got to work on his footwork this offsesaon. 

To me the footwork is about more than accuracy. An NFL offense has to have certain plays/throws that are all about timing - 3 steps, plant foot and zip the ball and he isnt near where he needs to be in order to make those throws consistently

Maybe, maybe not. Zach often throws in an unorthodox manner, utilizing the "heel pop". I posted an article on it earlier in the year, and it make the drop look incorrect based upon what we often assume. Mahome, Rodgers and others use this also.

It is some mechanics, but not all mechanics.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yesterday was the day for Zach to have his breakout game.  Jacksonville is terrible.  

Think it’s coming against Tampa or Buffalo?  Good luck with that.

Game Flow.  

We was up on Jax, so run the ball.

We'll be down by 100 points early against TB and Buff, so garbage time.

Darnold's breakout was against a good GB team.  Remember he went toe-to-toe with Rodgers.  Man we were excited!

I'd love to see a Zach game like that.  

Just now, dcJet said:

Game Flow.  

We was up on Jax, so run the ball.

We'll be down by 100 points early against TB and Buff, so garbage time.

Darnold's breakout was against a good GB team.  Remember he went toe-to-toe with Rodgers.  Man we were excited!

I'd love to see a Zach game like that.  

Zach hasn’t even done well in garbage time situations to this point. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dont think he would have with a full compliment of supporting personnel, given how he played against the Texans.

He doesn’t seem capable of “balling out”.

We need receivers and OL that know how to play with a small QB who runs backwards and throws errantly off his back foot.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach has shown improvement. But he hasn’t performed well enough to go all in on him next season. The Jets should have a plan in the place for the QB room that includes a solid vet and possibly a draft pick (or tender Mike White). 

Agree with this. I would bring in a vet and keep Mike White. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I dont think he would have with a full compliment of supporting personnel, given how he played against the Texans.

He doesn’t seem capable of “balling out”.

Except that he has balled out.

See Tennessee game - see first half of the Eagles game...

This trolling thing you're doing is tiring...

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Zach has shown improvement. But he hasn’t performed well enough to go all in on him next season. The Jets should have a plan in the place for the QB room that includes a solid vet and possibly a draft pick (or tender Mike White). 

Agree except for the draft pick. With so much help needed all over I'd rather not burn a late pick on a prayer that'll be at best the QB3.

Agree wholeheartedly that they should bring in a credible veteran, though. Wilson + veteran + White is plenty for the year. Reassess after the season. If Wilson flops and the veteran is just meh, they're using a high pick on a QB anyway in 2023.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Except that he has balled out.

See Tennessee game - see first half of the Eagles game...

This trolling thing you're doing is tiring...

At least he’s flying solo the past few days, not with the President of the AZM.  Although the big bloviator is there to defend him. 

I don’t need Zach to “ball out”. I need him to show steady improvement. 

Which he has done. Watched his Jax throws again about an hour ago. Other than 2-3 passes every throw was exactly where he wanted/where it was supposed to go. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hard to have a conversation with people who have their minds made up after a handful of games.

Just going where the evidence takes me dude.  I used to operate on hope and feelings when it came to this team and its young QB's.  No longer.  Show you can play at this level or move on to the next one.  

On 12/26/2021 at 6:23 PM, heymangold said:

I’m not going to say this was a great game but he didn’t turn it over. Relatively efficient, great game with his legs.  Of course having Mims, Cole and Smith as his WRs hurt. Would have loved to have seen his performance if the offense was healthy. 

Didn’t Smith drop a perfectly thrown pass from Wilson? I recall a really nice ball thrown on time right into Smith’s hands that he dropped.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

At least he’s flying solo the past few days, not with the President of the AZM.  Although the big bloviator is there to defend him. 

I don’t need Zach to “ball out”. I need him to show steady improvement. 

Which he has done. Watched his Jax throws again about an hour ago. Other than 2-3 passes every throw was exactly where he wanted/where it was supposed to go. 

yeah where is Darth Vader. he should be all over this thread. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

After 11 games??

Yes.  Contrary to popular belief, an entire rookie season is not a wash any more for a QB.  If you're not being sat for that season, these games are important data points, and you have to start showing signs you belong early on.

Wilson is performing barely better than Josh Rosen, who was jettisoned after just 13 starts.  I don't believe Arizona has gone on to regret that decision to move on.

Granted, Rosen was a virulent a$$hole and Wilson is decidedly not.  But if Rosen had shown he belonged in those 13 games you'd bet his personality would have gotten overlooked.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  Contrary to popular belief, an entire rookie season is not a wash any more for a QB.  If you're not being sat for that season, these games are important data points, and you have to start showing signs you belong early on.

Wilson is performing barely better than Josh Rosen, who was jettisoned after just 13 starts.  I don't believe Arizona has gone on to regret that decision to move on.

Granted, Rosen was a virulent a$$hole and Wilson is decidedly not.  But if Rosen had shown he belonged in those 13 games you'd bet his personality would have gotten overlooked.

Rosen didn’t look as good as Wilson has imho. Stats are what they are. Watching both these QB’s, individually, I see a noticeable gap. One guy has been in situations (more recently) where he looks much calmer in the midst of the moment and the other didn’t.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Rosen didn’t look as good as Wilson has imho. Stats are what they are. Watching both these QB’s, individually, I see a noticeable gap. One guy has been in situations (more recently) where he looks much calmer in the midst of the moment and the other didn’t.

Rosen his rookie season:

• 55.2 % completions
  • 5.8 YPA
  • 11 TDs/14 INTs
  • 66.7 QB Rating
  • 2 Game-Winning Drives
  • 3-10 record

Wilson thru 11 games:

• 56.7 % completions
  • 6.1 YPA
  • 7 TDs/11 INTs
  • 67.9 QB Rating
  • 1 Game-Winning Drive
  • 3-8 record

Whatever your eyes are telling you, they've been about the same guy.  The stats just prove your eyes aren't really telling you the truth on this one, because you don't want them to be about the same guy.

Even in the rushing department Rosen wasn't quite the statue he was advertised to be (23 carries, 138 yards, 6.0 YPA, 0 TDs).  Wilson (25 carries, 161 yards, 6.4 YPA, 4 TDs) only has him beat there because of the long run yesterday and of course the TDs.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rosen his rookie season:

• 55.2 % completions
  • 5.8 YPA
  • 11 TDs/14 INTs
  • 66.7 QB Rating
  • 2 Game-Winning Drives
  • 3-10 record

Wilson thru 11 games:

• 56.7 % completions
  • 6.1 YPA
  • 7 TDs/11 INTs
  • 67.9 QB Rating
  • 1 Game-Winning Drive
  • 3-8 record

Whatever your eyes are telling you, they've been about the same guy.  The stats just prove your eyes aren't really telling you the truth on this one, because you don't want them to be about the same guy.

Even in the rushing department Rosen wasn't quite the statue he was advertised to be (23 carries, 138 yards, 6.0 YPA, 0 TDs).  Wilson (25 carries, 161 yards, 6.4 YPA, 4 TDs) only has him beat there because of the long run yesterday and of course the TDs.  

I didn’t need the stats. I know what the stats are.

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Stats are what they are

^ you can put up similar stats and look like you belong versus a guy who doesn’t belong. Stats in a rookie season are a wash. That’s my opinion.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

^ you can put up similar stats and look like you belong versus a guy who doesn’t belong. Stats in a rookie season are a wash. That’s my opinion.

My opinion is that your take comes from an archaic time in the NFL when QB's routinely struggled in their rookie seasons.  Hence why people have to go all the way back to the likes of Troy Aikman or Steve Young to suggest why rookie struggles are meaningless.

If we had seen a bunch of QB's struggle to this degree in recent years as rookies and come out as success stories, I'd think your take had merit.  But that's really not the case.  So I'll follow where the #'s are taking me.  

Dudes have to be Justin Herbert in their first 13 for anyone on here not sh*t on them and unfairly compare them to a dude who was out of the league after 1 year. 

im not into comparing stats, I’m into watching the performances, taking situations and adding context to them and comparing the entire picture next to the other.

I’ve seen QB’s with awful first 13’s, at the time, look comparable to other QB’s & then all of a sudden, something changes and they never look the same again. I’m not ready to put anything in cement or to use the first 11 starts to do so. Sorry my man. Awful way to look at things imo.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rosen his rookie season:

• 55.2 % completions
  • 5.8 YPA
  • 11 TDs/14 INTs
  • 66.7 QB Rating
  • 2 Game-Winning Drives
  • 3-10 record

Wilson thru 11 games:

• 56.7 % completions
  • 6.1 YPA
  • 7 TDs/11 INTs
  • 67.9 QB Rating
  • 1 Game-Winning Drive
  • 3-8 record

And now let's do the same with Josh Allen and Zack.

Allen: started 11 games

52.8%

6.5 Y/A

10 tds 12 ints

67.9 Rating

3 game winning drives 

5 and 6 record 

• Upvote 1