*** College Football National Championship Game ***

Beerfish

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good half of football for georgia, hanging in there in a slug fest.

Yup.  Feeling pretty good down 3.  Ton of mistakes.  Defense bent without breaking.  Down 3.  But we have to find a way to get the offense going.  Doubt we are going to be able to keep Bama out of the end zone all game.  Very rough first half for our OL.  Jemaree Salyer who handled Hutchinson without help last week has struggled and been moved inside to G.  Need more out of the OL in the second half, and starting without pre-snap penalties would be a nice start.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm sure he has insurance. 

What does a policy like that cost, and who pays for it? I've wondered about that in the past, especially if it's a kid like DeCody Fagg from FSU who had a terrible injury at the combine and NEVER played again. 

How does that policy get through underwriting??

Serious question. Not an expert in personal insurance...now if you want to talk subrogation, I'm your guy. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I know it’s at times annoying and easier to see the action in the regular ESPN broadcast but I can’t stop watching the Texas A &M coaching staff discussing the game. 

I will watch that feed tomorrow night.  If we win.  If we lose, I am not sure I am getting out of bed all day.

15 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Game is 100x better than NFL

I prefer the NFL by a long shot.  I just find it to be a better game.  College football is either a defensive struggle or like pinball.  Too many games are total mismatches.  The superior QB play in the NFL is obvious.  I also don't like that it takes 4+ hours to play a college football game. They have to run the clock after first downs and on out of. bounds plays like the NFL. The clock just doesn't move. 

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What does a policy like that cost, and who pays for it? I've wondered about that in the past, especially if it's a kid like Dakoty Fagg from FSU who had a terrible injury at the combine and NEVER played again. 

Serious question. Not an expert in personal insurance...now if you want to talk subrogation, I'm your guy. 

Premiums are usually payable after the player signs his pro deal. 

Usually written by Lloyd's of London.  Payment will probably depend on where he goes in the draft.  Some of these policies pay a fixed amount for every pick after the first round until he goes.  There are a lot of different ways of structuring the policies.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

What does a policy like that cost, and who pays for it? I've wondered about that in the past, especially if it's a kid like DeCody Fagg from FSU who had a terrible injury at the combine and NEVER played again. 

Loss of value insurance gets complicated.   The player pays for it themselves.   I think coverage may cost around $9,000 per $1M of coverage, I might be off on that though.  Then getting paid out is messy because it’s based on where the player would have gone in the draft if not for injury, which is hard to specify. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Katy Perry huh?

Not kidding, I wasn’t quite sure music videos was still a thing

Yeah I had the sound off and wasn't paying attention and then noticed some *ahem* honkin' melons getting mooshed into the TV screen and I was wondering what was happening.  Halftime show instead of having to watch the bands?  I saw they have a feed to watch that online.

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Arthroscopic.

My dad blew his acl in 1979.  The scar was probably 8 inches long, and the 1st thing they had him do was lay in bed for weeks and immobilize it.  Now the outer scar looks like 3 large freckles.

That causes a huge amount of scar tissue to form.   Now, they have a machine that is putting motion into the knee within a day.

I tore my knee senior year of college in 1981.  I blew it up colliding with another guy chasing down a fly ball in a softball game. I called it - he didn't hear me and while we were both running, he stepped on my foot and our legs collided and my knee went sideways.  Back then, there was no MRI, no scopes.  The only way to see what happened was to operate, which they didn't do back then unless there were complications. I was in an ankle to thigh brace and on crutches for 10 weeks and then did rehab for 2 months.  It healed, but bothered me for 30+ years.  I ran, played all sports, skied, etc, but always in a brace and it hurt.  Once I got an MRI around 2001, it was a mess in there.  Scar tissue, calcium deposits, bone chips, torn cartilage.  I had two scopes and then arthritis.  I had a knee replacement at age 53.  It is good now, but it was a grind back then.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Usually written by Lloyd's of London.  Payment will probably depend on where he goes in the draft.  Some of these policies pay a fixed amount for every pick after the first round until he goes.  There are a lot of different ways of structuring the policies.

Here’s the thing. 

If the team pays the premium the payments are taxable income. 

If the player pays the premium, the payments are tax free. 

Brian Bosworth bought his own policy and walked away with $10 million cash.  Tax free.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We know players like Jaylon Smith had one but I'll claim ignorance on the specifics. Now that college players are getting paid that could easily change the landscape on how these policies are issued.

I sure would hope someone like Williams would have a policy but Bama has been known to treat their players like assets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I tore my knee senior year of college in 1981.  I blew it up colliding with another guy chasing down a fly ball in a softball game. I called it - he didn't hear me and while we were both running, he stepped on my foot and our legs collided and my knee went sideways.  Back then, there was no MRI, no scopes.  The only way to see what happened was to operate, which they didn't do back then unless there were complications. I was in an ankle to thigh brace and on crutches for 10 weeks and then did rehab for 2 months.  It healed, but bothered me for 30+ years.  I ran, played all sports, skied, etc, but always in a brace and it hurt.  Once I got an MRI around 2001, it was a mess in there.  Scar tissue, calcium deposits, bone chips, torn cartilage.  I had two scopes and then arthritis.  I had a knee replacement at age 53.  It is good now, but it was a grind back then.

Was he the centerfielder? Then BACK OFF. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

******* CPM machine. 7 straight days after surgery. The worst.  

OK. More on knees.  After replacing my left knee in 2013, my right knee rapidly declined. I had it replaced in 2019.  In 2013, I used a CPM machine and had plenty of oxycontin (didn't like it much).  In 2019, no more CPM machine and very little Oxy.  My rehab in 2019 actually went better without the CPM and without the Oxy.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Loss of value insurance gets complicated.   The player pays for it themselves.   I think coverage may cost around $9,000 per $1M of coverage, I might be off on that though.  Then getting paid out is messy because it’s based on where the player would have gone in the draft if not for injury, which is hard to specify. 

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Here’s the thing. 

If the team pays the premium the payments are taxable income. 

If the player pays the premium, the payments are tax free. 

Brian Bosworth bought his own policy and walked away with $10 million cash.  Tax free.  

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

We know players like Jaylon Smith had one but I'll claim ignorance on the specifics. Now that college players are getting paid that could easily change the landscape on how these policies are issued.

I sure would hope someone like Williams would have a policy but Bama has been known to treat their players like assets.

Great stuff, interesting In how that works. You know the insurance company will fight over actual loss of value.

• Upvote 1