No Covid Absences In The NFL Postseason?

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Besides it being a little sketchy, I imagine teams are being more disciplined at the moment, just avoiding as many people as they can, if possible. 

Like women known for licking toilet seats in order to (i) get Covid and (ii) become embarrassingly slightly famous? 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

Besides it being a little sketchy, I imagine teams are being more disciplined at the moment, just avoiding as many people as they can, if possible. 

there's actually more to this that makes sense:

1) They've already had the run of omicron... it's actually starting to recede in many places, and fewer athletes are testing positive;

2) The evidence on omicron and milder disease is substantial;  the NFL is not the only employer drawing back routine testing of asymptomatic individuals.  Schools/colleges are beginning to do so as well (at least the ones that were doing it).

3) Throughout the pandemic, the rate of positivity in unvaccinated vs. vaccinated individuals was always 3-4 times higher; that difference has narrowed and the risk of infection is now similar between the two groups, although unvaccinated individuals still have a much higher risk of severe disease.  Some of that narrowing is because as omicron has spread, it is providing a wave of natural induced immunity to unvaccinated individuals who had no prior exposure, or maybe did, but didn't have a big immune response.

It's easy to kill the NFL for a lot of things, but this one actually has some merit.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

there's actually more to this that makes sense:

1) They've already had the run of omicron... it's actually starting to recede in many places, and fewer athletes are testing positive;

2) The evidence on omicron and milder disease is substantial;  the NFL is not the only employer drawing back routine testing of asymptomatic individuals.  Schools/colleges are beginning to do so as well (at least the ones that were doing it).

3) Throughout the pandemic, the rate of positivity in unvaccinated vs. vaccinated individuals was always 3-4 times higher; that difference has narrowed and the risk of infection is now similar between the two groups, although unvaccinated individuals still have a much higher risk of severe disease.  Some of that narrowing is because as omicron has spread, it is providing a wave of natural induced immunity to unvaccinated individuals who had no prior exposure, or maybe did, but didn't have a big immune response.

It's easy to kill the NFL for a lot of things, but this one actually has some merit.

It's either what you wrote or the NFL is intentionally looking the other way.  I'm going to go with the latter.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

There's always a risk of something. People carry around viruses and bacteria that are dangerous, but are at such low levels the only way you'd know they were there was through testing; because it isn't affecting them otherwise. None of this is new. People have lived with contagions for our entire existence. Yes, I know people have died, but thousands of people died daily prior to covid, and no one generally noticed except if it was someone of note. Society cannot continue in a bubble indefinitely, not that the bubble has helped anyway, and the cure became worse than the disease.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The NFL has declared, without actually saying it, that the Covid crisis is over.

This may trigger one poster but like it’s been discussed before, the most prevalent variant today is likely Omicron which is in the overwhelming majority of cases nothing more than a mild cold. 

The UK has basically said the crisis is over and terminated all restrictions, mandates, passports etc. 

Maybe the NFL is taking cues. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

So drugs really are bad.

The vaccines are great, but we have a lot of fools out there refusing to take them, thus it is driving the hospitalizations and causing a Healthcare crisis. It amazes me how some can't understand that. I caught covid (Delta) last November around veterans day and was over it in 5 days. Does that mean I think the pandemic is over? Hell no. Take a look at the Healthcare system. Elective surgeries are suspended in NYS because omicron spreads extremely fast and is finding those that will need hospitalization faster than the hospitals can keep up. Some are either willfully ignorant about that or just selfish and dgaf. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 2

I just wanted everyone who was all in on "Freedumbz" to write down a list of names of people in their family that they would be okay with dying of Covid.  Everybody is big and strong when you want your way and can just say "They'll suffer but not me" No.  put some skin in the game.  You want to go back to normal before it's time, tell me who can die so when they do we'll be sure to let them know you were ok with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1