Will WR Be This Year's Blindspot?

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't buy into the video game stuff either, but I can mos def see an angle in which BAL moves on from Brown and this their offseason to potentially field offers. Best friends? doesn't mean anything. If you don't buy it, then I there's nothing else to see here. I think there's lots of angles that make sense. 

Based on the contracts, this is the time to trade for Brown and Metcalf.  I am just not buying the whole "done in Baltimore" bullsh*t.  He is trying to get a long-term deal.  That is when you trade for a guy, but he isn't Trent Williams refusing to play for Washington ever again.  He is a guy trying to get a deal.  I don't think him being buds with Jackson is a huge deal, but I think it means as much as him pulling social media which is where we got this speculation. 

Just like Metcalf staging a mutiny, it's all conjecture.  i believe some of the where there is smoke there is fire, but I think some of this is getting pushed to pressure the player or the team.  The rest is just phony "journalists" taking wild ass guesses.  Look around the league at guys on the last year of their deal (or the last year before the 5th year option) and those are the guys you make offers for, but it doesn't mean they are done with their teams or even that they are on the block .

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

All those opinions are nice. The issue that inspires my perspective: well establish reports that Joe & the Jets were prepared to go all in on Calvin Ridley and Mike Williams... #10 is not an equitable alternative. Which is why i think we trade for a WR and Round 1 is defense. 

Come on.  If you want to debate, let’s debate as equals.  Don’t condescend me with those opinions are nice.  If I said that to my wife, she’d kick me out of the house.  Lol!

Now you’re opinion is ‘nice’ ;).  I’ll tell you what since you feel so strongly.  If you have the dough, let’s raise our little bet to a cool $1k as a donation to Ukraine.  If you don’t, no big deal.  I’d like to double down on a good cause.

Just because the Jets missed out on what might have been their primary objectives, doesn’t mean #10 isn’t a contingency plan.  

If a draft trade is made at #4 or #10, bet is a push since that will completely change the dynamics of the current first round slots.  If the Jets trade for a #1 WR beforehand, then you win the bet.

40 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Come on.  If you want to debate, let’s debate as equals.  Don’t condescend me with those opinions are nice.  If I said that to my wife, she’d kick me out of the house.  Lol!

Now you’re opinion is ‘nice’ ;).  I’ll tell you what since you feel so strongly.  If you have the dough, let’s raise our little bet to a cool $1k as a donation to Ukraine.  If you don’t, no big deal.  I’d like to double down on a good cause.

Just because the Jets missed out on what might have been their primary objectives, doesn’t mean #10 isn’t a contingency plan.  

If a draft trade is made at #4 or #10, bet is a push since that will completely change the dynamics of the current first round slots.  If the Jets trade for a #1 WR beforehand, then you win the bet.

https://voca.ro/1cxEG3hY7bmO

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sorry, didn’t hear this.  I thought you were sending me to a holistic website ;).

if you saw what I wrote above, I didn’t state my opinion, I actually led in with the ‘Jets might simply believe’.  Doesn’t mean they do believe but that they might believe and if they believe for example that there is a #1 potential WR in London or Wilson and having a number 1 is critical to their success, then they might be earmarking #10 to take a WR.  I don’t know JD but logic tells me if he believes the above even after missing out on a trade or Mike Williams, then I can absolutely see him taking a WR at this slot.

is that fair?  Doesn’t make it the best choice but aren’t there belief systems out there that would support him taking a WR at 10.

Guys, we have a B wide receiver room right now with Davis, Moore and Berrios.  When we add Wilson, London etc. at 10, it has a chance to be an A room with Moore and the rookie having the potential to be superstars.

Jet fans just have to worry so now that has shifted to the wrs for some reason.

Its ok boys. Joe Douglas has us nestled in his bosom.  We are going to be ok.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Guys, we have a B wide receiver room right now with Davis, Moore and Berrios.  When we add Wilson, London etc. at 10, it has a chance to be an A room with Moore and the rookie having the potential to be superstars.

Jet fans just have to worry so now that has shifted to the wrs for some reason.

Its ok boys. Joe Douglas has us nestled in his bosom.  We are going to be ok.

the problems with this are that 1) injuries happen, so the guys we think will be on the field opening day won’t necessarily be these guys and 2) there’s no guarantee the jets take a wr in the first round.  They could trade for an uninspiring vet right before the draft and then use the first rounders to beef up the lines.  

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Sorry, didn’t hear this.  I thought you were sending me to a holistic website ;).

if you saw what I wrote above, I didn’t state my opinion, I actually led in with the ‘Jets might simply believe’.  Doesn’t mean they do believe but that they might believe and if they believe for example that there is a #1 potential WR in London or Wilson and having a number 1 is critical to their success, then they might be earmarking #10 to take a WR.  I don’t know JD but logic tells me if he believes the above even after missing out on a trade or Mike Williams, then I can absolutely see him taking a WR at this slot.

is that fair?  Doesn’t make it the best choice but aren’t there belief systems out there that would support him taking a WR at 10.

I think I’m developing joint issue from typing on this site too much. Lol lazy and resorting to recording audio msgs

i would be surprised to see a GM who was willing to go all in on a premiere WR settle for a 10th pick in a weaker top end class. Other years I would be more inclined. I’m assuming there’s another play to be made before the draft, but with each passing day I grow more skeptical 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problems with this are that 1) injuries happen, so the guys we think will be on the field opening day won’t necessarily be these guys and 2) there’s no guarantee the jets take a wr in the first round.  They could trade for an uninspiring vet right before the draft and then use the first rounders to beef up the lines.  

Or we can stay healthy and draft a stud in Round 1.  Nestle yourself in the bosom of Douglas and you can be free of this "sky is falling" mentality so many jet fans have.  My goodness.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Or we can stay healthy and draft a stud in Round 1.  Nestle yourself in the bosom of Douglas and you can be free of this "sky is falling" mentality so many jet fans have.  My goodness.

Not saying the sky is falling.  Just saying that it is unclear how douglas intends to improve the wr corps at this time.  There is no wr worthy of the 4 pick and arguably, no wr worthy of the 10 pick either.  There’s also a good many fans here who would not be happy with taking london.  While i think many here have faith that douglas will not ignore wr, i can’t say with confidence that i am going to be psyched with the wrs who line up on opening day.

Call me crazy but I was watching the Zach "highlights" the other week, and start of the year Corey Davis looks like a stud.  Who knows how much injury hampered him even when he was in the games later in the year.  Combine that with a hopefully healthy Moore, Berrios, and a promising rookie in the rotation and I think we're looking pretty good at the WR position.

When you combine potentially 500/500 from the new TE's there should be plenty of opportunities out there for Zach to take advantage of.

I still wouldn't mind a signing of a veteran guy to help anchor the room, but I don't see it as a glaring weakness either.

i think the jets will address the wr through the draft assuming there's one that is measurably better than any of the group they've got.  and drafting a wr with a top pick is a good move (assuming the guy is worth the pick) because it seems like the good receivers become prima donas in short order and become too expensive at the end of their rookie deals.  drafting a guy with a first round pick at least gives them 5 seasons of control. 

22 hours ago, JTJet said:

Two things can be true at the same time. 

I can think he's a lazy overweight guy that will prove to be a wasted pick. 

AND...

Want that lazy overweight guy to get it together and be a dominant force. 

yep.  a guy like butch woolfork did pretty well at nt despite being a noticebly fat person.  i don't see the same body type from becton.  he just needs to play he's shown he's capable of.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Call me crazy but I was watching the Zach "highlights" the other week, and start of the year Corey Davis looks like a stud.  Who knows how much injury hampered him even when he was in the games later in the year.  Combine that with a hopefully healthy Moore, Berrios, and a promising rookie in the rotation and I think we're looking pretty good at the WR position.

When you combine potentially 500/500 from the new TE's there should be plenty of opportunities out there for Zach to take advantage of.

I still wouldn't mind a signing of a veteran guy to help anchor the room, but I don't see it as a glaring weakness either.

Those TE’s are, as it currently stands, the seventh and eighth highest paid offensive players on the team. Ahead of them are the OL minus AVT, Wilson, and Davis.

Call me crazy, but they’re going to be on the field a lot. And I doubt they go empty, which means two wide receivers on the field a lot.

I think that creates a situation where they can add a third guy and just let him compete with Davis and Moore and let the best two take the bulk of the snaps with the third providing depth. Less pressure on a rookie to impact right away, ease into a role gradually if he’s not ready, but potential for him to take a spot and run with it too. Think that’s important because rookie WR’s are high variance.

33 minutes ago, derp said:

Those TE’s are, as it currently stands, the seventh and eighth highest paid offensive players on the team. Ahead of them are the OL minus AVT, Wilson, and Davis.

Call me crazy, but they’re going to be on the field a lot. And I doubt they go empty, which means two wide receivers on the field a lot.

I think that creates a situation where they can add a third guy and just let him compete with Davis and Moore and let the best two take the bulk of the snaps with the third providing depth. Less pressure on a rookie to impact right away, ease into a role gradually if he’s not ready, but potential for him to take a spot and run with it too. Think that’s important because rookie WR’s are high variance.

I agree. You saw it in the play calls, early in the season the Jets were running a lot of 12 personnel, the Jets got crap for slow starts and the Jets also kept the offense pretty basic because they’re more installing a system versus putting in counter tendency plays and trick plays that you saw by the end of the season. 

Being able to run out of 12 or 21 is a staple to open up play action, hence prioritizing TEs that are good blockers as well and I bet they emphasize run blocking and route running with their receivers as well. 

the TEs are going to be on the field a lot and if I’m the Jets, I probably draft a TE to develop and draft another WR to develop as well unless they really like Wilson or something. 

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I agree. You saw it in the play calls, early in the season the Jets were running a lot of 12 personnel, the Jets got crap for slow starts and the Jets also kept the offense pretty basic because they’re more installing a system versus putting in counter tendency plays and trick plays that you saw by the end of the season. 

Being able to run out of 12 or 21 is a staple to open up play action, hence prioritizing TEs that are good blockers as well and I bet they emphasize run blocking and route running with their receivers as well. 

the TEs are going to be on the field a lot and if I’m the Jets, I probably draft a TE to develop and draft another WR to develop as well unless they really like Wilson or something. 

The Patriots, who got so much credit for the development of Jones last year, invested heavily at TE and didn't have crazy WR production, a true number one receiver, etc. I think conceptually as you said, the benefit you get in the run game is key for setting up play action.

Absolutely agree they should add another TE in the draft, I am probably a broken record but Daniel Bellinger is one of the best if not the best blocking TE in the draft and also had great athletic testing - should they wait to day three at least. Obviously lots of interesting guys who will go higher.

I think for a young QB having a couple of big targets, getting the run game going, and getting him easier throws - misdirection with the TE's leaking out, shot plays off play action. Makes sense development wise for Wilson. Obviously the #1 WR would be great but that's easier said than done and if this was a pivot off of say, Ridley, I prefer it to going crazy for any of the receivers who were available in free agency. I don't know if they'd rather run 12 or 11 long-term, I'm a big fan of 12 personnel but either is fine long term, but I think this was a decent idea whether it was plan A, B, or F.  Hope it works out well for him.

• Upvote 1

This scheme likes gadget plays when right players available.

He is super talented but makor injury prone.

We need more WRs. Take a 1 year flyer on Will Fuller and watch the fun w/coordinator implementing Fuller Berrios and Zach scrambling ability.

Fuller could play slot where Crowder was freeing up Berrios to play same hybrid role he had at end of season last year