Will WR Be This Year's Blindspot?

12 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Draft questionable QB, give him half assplaymakers… watch him fail, fire regime, wash rinse repeat.

It takes one season to revamp a defense into a top 15 D. It could take a lifetime to find a QB that can consistently put up30 points. It’s so senseless to draft a guy like Wilson and then hand him castoffs lie Davis and a potentially decent # 2 in E Moore and a couple mid level TE‘s. God forbid we make any attempt to give our QB some elite talent to work with. Nah, Corey ******* Davis and now Uzomah.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Calling Elijah Moore and a "half assplaymaker" will not age well. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets have drafted WR in Round 2 twice in a row now. They gave out their second biggest FA contract to a WR last year. They just signed two pass-catchers at TE this year and re-signed their WR3.

And, they’ve drafted OL in Round 1 twice in a row now.

Here’s an idea for the NFL’s 32nd ranked defense….. Draft some damn defenders!

How about NOT pressuring the offense to score a TD on every drive because the Jets are giving up 30+ points per game?

Because we also had the #32 ranked starting QB in the league, and if he fails, all of this is irrelevant anyway. It’s nice to not have to play catch up, but we need to do better than WRs like Corey Davis and Berrios

31 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

That is not a top end receiver room. A little scary. You wrote Wilson/Burks, but we have no idea what JD is going to do. Even with a rookie WR, it seems we're a little thin.

This also doesn’t account for the amount of time Davis and Moore missed last season 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

I've been doing more of my mocks with Jameson Williams as my pick.  I noticed most of times he's been gone by pick 13.  He's there for the taking at 10 for sure.  I just did a mock and took him at 12.  

I hope JD takes him.  He's done risk picks before...like Bryce Hall.   Williams may only play some in 2nd half of 2022.  But in 2023...he'll be a big time weapon for the playoffs for sure.

True but a 4th round 158 overall selection is a much lower risk pick than at 12 overall. Still if it was a minor ACL with a good long term prognosis I can see the value. Does not feel like a JD move though.

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there one in the draft?  Garrett Wilson maybe?  Jameson Williams if he can fully recover?  Anyone else?

The Jets are going to pick drake london at 10 and it's going to be a good pick. We just don't know about this player because usc plays Saturday night after we're all blacked out 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are going to pick drake london at 10 and it's going to be a good pick. We just don't know about this player because usc plays Saturday night after we're all blacked out 

As if I wasn't a fan of yours before this post.  LMAO!

• Upvote 1

It would not surprise me in the least to see three of JD's first four picks go to defense.  Could easily see him address edge, DT and LB before drafting a WR.  JMO but I keep looking at the 49ers model and that's what I think we're getting here.  

21 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If I was a betting man, I would bet $1000 to win $100 that the Jets draft a WR before RB. 

I would say you are correct but I would also say don't be surprised if the Jets Trade out of 4 gain another early pick and draft 3 skill players in the first 2 rounds along with a DE

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As if I wasn't a fan of yours before this post.  LMAO!

I hope the Jets draft Treylon Burks who had the ability to play in numerous offensive sets just like Deebo and still be big and strong enough to make the tough catches in traffic you need from a number 1 WR. Plays much faster than his stupid 40 time in the moronic Combine

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I would say you are correct but I would also say don't be surprised if the Jets Trade out of 4 gain another early pick and draft 3 skill players in the first 2 rounds along with a DE

Peter King says he's hearing JD wants to trade one of those two 1st rounders for a 2023 #1.  Could be #4 too.

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well i've littered half the board with my thoughts on that topic; I've heard tale of Joe's affinity for Jerry Jeudy, that name has floated around. They currently have Sutton and Patrick on extensions and if believe Russ Wilson is a franchise WR, he doesn't need an army of WRs - they need draft capital. So Jeudy, Aiyuk was 10x better under Lafleur in SF, so maybe he's an option for a team that self-fleeced for Trey Lance, and dark horse Hollywood Brown. He looks to be done with BAL. 

Why does Hollywood Brown look to be done in Baltimore?  Cause he deleted them from his social media?  Big whoop.  That happens all the time when guys are trying to negotiate extensions.  He is supposed to be best buds with Jackson and they picked up his 5th year option.  Kyler Murray did the same thing, but at least he has the baseball out.  The rumor with Hollywood was that he was "going to retire and play video games professionally."  Give me a ******* break.

Personally, I don't see Metcalf as a great fit and certainly don't want to trade assets and then still have to give him a huge contract.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Peter King says he's hearing JD wants to trade one of those two 1st rounders for a 2023 #1.  Could be #4 too.

If he trades a number 4 for next year the team he trades with better be sh*t. Maybe the Seahawks they seem fit to just hand us shiny draft picks :)

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why does Hollywood Brown look to be done in Baltimore?  Cause he deleted them from his social media?  Big whoop.  That happens all the time when guys are trying to negotiate extensions.  He is supposed to be best buds with Jackson and they picked up his 5th year option.  Kyler Murray did the same thing, but at least he has the baseball out.  The rumor with Hollywood was that he was "going to retire and play video games professionally."  Give me a ******* break.

Personally, I don't see Metcalf as a great fit and certainly don't want to trade assets and then still have to give him a huge contract.  

Pretty much this !!! Metcalf with all the roids he probably pumped into his body will at some point begin to break down.

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

If he trades a number 4 for next year the team he trades with better be sh*t. Maybe the Seahawks they seem fit to just hand us shiny draft picks :)

It would be for a first this year, a first next year, and probably more depending on how far down he’s willing to move.  

Pushing some money and draft capital forward is the smart hedge against Zach. That #4 pick is so murky (OL? Safety?) that he might absolutely prefer to bail out of there  Could be as simple as if Hutchinson is gone, he takes the best deal he can get. 

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

That would be ideal. I think there's actually a shot it happens too.

Pittsburgh makes sense to me. 

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

League average would be at 22ppg.

Only two teams scored above 30ppg.

The top 10 offenses all scored over 26.5ppg.

The Jets were at 18ppg, and were the 28th ranked O. Those numbers are also inflated by the two highest scoring games of 2021 being started by QBs no longer on this team.

I fully appreciate the idea of complimentary football. I agree that the best way to win games is to support the offense by fielding a strong defense. However, complimentary football can only be achieved if all facets are playing well.

In our case, the O flat out sucks. If we were around 23ppg and it was clear that the O was good enough but the D was holding us back, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately that’s not the case. And, we’ve already sunken heavy resource into a QB on a rookie deal. We have 2 more years to find out if he’ll be worthy of an extension, play on a lame-duck contract, or need to be discarded.

I’m ok with an Edge in Round 1, but the other 3 premium picks this year should go O. I know they won’t, but they should.

EDC8634C-4114-4DDE-BEDF-BD0450BFC44B.thumb.jpeg.e27ec4a2a6f7086cce5e74b3c2424cd3.jpeg

I understand your point but I'm not sure I agree.  The data is the data.  I'm not disputing that.  But what I'm saying is that I think the problems are not currently due to really bad personnel on O.  I think we had a lot of young guys learning a new system last year and that contributed to some of the low scoring, especially early in the year with LaFleur not yet up in the booth.  What starting positions are you looking to improve on O given an assumed lineup like...

QB - Wilson

LT - Becton

LG - AVT

C - McGovern

RG - Tomlinson

RT - Fant

RB - Carter

TE - Uzomah (+ TE2 Conklin if in 12 personnel)

WR - Moore

WR - Davis

(WR - Berrios if not in 12 personnel)

I don't see too many studs but I also don't see glaring holes.  Whereas on the Defense I see some pretty significant deficiencies (below average guys) at Edge, OLB, S, and possibly more.

I'd love to upgrade a couple key pieces on offense, namely a better WR than Davis and maybe a TE upgrade with someone who is a better pass-catcher and more dynamic threat than Uzomah.

If we had to look up and down the current list of 22 starters on O and D and rank the deficiencies/liabilities I think the first couple would definitely be on defense.  JMHO.  And of course, this is as of today without knowing what may or may not still happen in FA.

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

League average would be at 22ppg.

Only two teams scored above 30ppg.

The top 10 offenses all scored over 26.5ppg.

The Jets were at 18ppg, and were the 28th ranked O. Those numbers are also inflated by the two highest scoring games of 2021 being started by QBs no longer on this team.

I fully appreciate the idea of complimentary football. I agree that the best way to win games is to support the offense by fielding a strong defense. However, complimentary football can only be achieved if all facets are playing well.

In our case, the O flat out sucks. If we were around 23ppg and it was clear that the O was good enough but the D was holding us back, I’d agree with you. Unfortunately that’s not the case. And, we’ve already sunken heavy resource into a QB on a rookie deal. We have 2 more years to find out if he’ll be worthy of an extension, play on a lame-duck contract, or need to be discarded.

I’m ok with an Edge in Round 1, but the other 3 premium picks this year should go O. I know they won’t, but they should.

EDC8634C-4114-4DDE-BEDF-BD0450BFC44B.thumb.jpeg.e27ec4a2a6f7086cce5e74b3c2424cd3.jpeg

While I agree with much of what you're saying I do think the defense has a bit more influence on the offense.

When you look at a game like the Eagles, where the Jets had one possession in the 3rd quarter - and they gave up TD's on every drive through the 3rd quarter...after a very good offensive first half by the Jets.  

There was a lot of that - that just didn't give the Jets a chance to stay in a game because they couldn't stop anyone and the Jets were forced to get away from their game plan.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

It makes as about as much sense as GB trading their #1 or DAL.... contracts and other options, friend. Both teams given away lots of draft capital and Aiyuk didn't stuff the sheet last year. You're over simplifying -- but lets forget about that -- if WR is such a HUGE need, you think #10 is gonna fix that? Either you believe more in Moore/Davis/Berrios or you think we "need all the help we can get" and thats more than just throwing a rookie WR out there and saying "here you go"... and if you believe in the Moore/Davis/Berrios - then you don't NEED one at 10. 

I think you are trying to support your own argument not to take 1, which I thought was based on your impression that there wasn’t anyone worthy of a top 10 pick.  Which is fair.  Similar to someone believing that there is very little talent gap between the first several so let’s just wait until top of round 2.  Also fair.

The Jets might simply believe the following:

1. A #1 receiver is incredibly valuable and also expensive (draft picks, salary cap).  Best place to find one is in round 1 of the draft.  Among other things, it can have a meaningful positive impact on the development of a young QB

2. The Jets do not have a #1, even though E Moore is promising, his lack of size limits him to a dominant #2 ceiling

3. The Jets disagree with Paradis and believe that there are one or two WRs that have the potential to turn into a pro bowl #1 receiver

4. JD wants to give the team the highest probability of success and does not believe that waiting until round 2 is the way to go.  This might signal that he prefers a type of complimentary guy that might not be available (eg, size over speed)

5. Has anyone seen the Jet injuries the last few years?  3 is NOT enough

6. The OC might even prefer a rotation of WRs to keep everyone healthy & fresh.  So the Jets are thinking they need 4 starting WRs

7. Corey Davis can be let go after ‘22 with little dead money so this is a hedge if he doesn’t rebound.  By that time, our first round WR might be what Davis was supposed to be, if not more.  JD uses the cap savings to spend on a priority position of need

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't buy into the video game stuff either, but I can mos def see an angle in which BAL moves on from Brown and this their offseason to potentially field offers. Best friends? doesn't mean anything. If you don't buy it, then I there's nothing else to see here. I think there's lots of angles that make sense. 

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think you are trying to support your own argument not to take 1, which I thought was based on your impression that there wasn’t anyone worthy of a top 10 pick.  Which is fair.  Similar to someone believing that there is very little talent gap between the first several so let’s just wait until top of round 2.  Also fair.

The Jets might simply believe the following:

1. A #1 receiver is incredibly valuable and also expensive (draft picks, salary cap).  Best place to find one is in round 1 of the draft.  Among other things, it can have a meaningful positive impact on the development of a young QB

2. The Jets do not have a #1, even though E Moore is promising, his lack of size limits him to a dominant #2 ceiling

3. The Jets disagree with Paradis and believe that there are one or two WRs that have the potential to turn into a pro bowl #1 receiver

4. JD wants to give the team the highest probability of success and does not believe that waiting until round 2 is the way to go.  This might signal that he prefers a type of complimentary guy that might not be available (eg, size over speed)

5. Has anyone seen the Jet injuries the last few years?  3 is NOT enough

6. The OC might even prefer a rotation of WRs to keep everyone healthy & fresh.  So the Jets are thinking they need 4 starting WRs

7. Corey Davis can be let go after ‘22 with little dead money so this is a hedge if he doesn’t rebound.  By that time, our first round WR might be what Davis was supposed to be, if not more.  JD uses the cap savings to spend on a priority position of need

All those opinions are nice. The issue that inspires my perspective: well establish reports that Joe & the Jets were prepared to go all in on Calvin Ridley and Mike Williams... #10 is not an equitable alternative. Which is why i think we trade for a WR and Round 1 is defense. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

All those opinions are nice. The issue that inspires my perspective: well establish reports that Joe & the Jets were prepared to go all in on Calvin Ridley and Mike Williams... #10 is not an equitable alternative. Which is why i think we trade for a WR and Round 1 is defense. 

The Jets take WRs at 10 and 38. You have no say in the matter... Which two would @Paradis be pleased  with?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

The Jets take WRs at 10 and 38. You have no say in the matter... Which two would @Paradis be pleased  with?

if we had no choice lol... well as of today? I would take London at 10 and pray... then I would take Pickens at 38. and pray again haha. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Because we also had the #32 ranked starting QB in the league, and if he fails, all of this is irrelevant anyway. It’s nice to not have to play catch up, but we need to do better than WRs like Corey Davis and Berrios

Maybe we trade for Baker Mayfield and have a true QB competition.  Muddy Mudskipper is not an attractive draw for top WRs

The perceptions of these receivers are so varied. I really hope the team has a chance to work out London and get a feel for him. 

Like Elijah last year, London was on pace to put up crazy numbers this season before his injury but I get the concerns on a lot of the catches being contested... Some dudes just have it though...is he a Mike Williams/Evans guy or the next Mims?

If we can't tell just pick Wilson who seems to have a real high floor to play it safe...

On 3/20/2022 at 5:40 PM, T0mShane said:

I predict that the Jets will draft a RB before they draft a receiver this year. 

I think they go WR at 35 or 38.  Wish list for me is Dotson, Watson or Pickens in that range and Wan'Dale Robinson or Kyle Philips later on.

Edited by AFJF