let's talk mike linebackers

Phillyjet

Lots of talk about the edge and WRs, but it seems like a mike linebacker is a critical must in the draft.  Maybe not in the first round, as I suspect whoever they draft will play behind Mosley this year (and learn at his heels).  But Mosley is gone next year, assuming he doesn't do a drastic renegotiation.  And he is a mismatch for this D.  

With the assumption that a mike would not play day 1, I would conclude that one of our seconds or the third round pick would be in play for the heir apparent.  The mike also has to become a leader on the D, much like Mosley, or David Harris before him.  So who do you see as the best fits for the mike?  I see Nakobe Dean is raved about by his Georgia coaches for leadership.  Doubt Devin Lloyd drops to round 2, but with the run on edge, WR, tackles (and some CBs) in round 1, I would not be surprised to see Dean there, and am expecting to see Muma and Christian Harris there.  Troy Anderson later in the draft.  There are other LBs but assume they are better fits for a 3-4.  Would expect Damone Clark to be a late round or UDFA, but he could be a good stash in IR for a year given his recent spinal surgery, depending on whether docs see the surgery as career ending.

Ok draftniks, make your case for the mike in this year's draft.

• Upvote 2

Channing Tindall from Georgia is a guy that I feel fits the mold of a lean but quick LB. 

Brian Asamoah, Oklahoma - Very quick. Disagree with his 3rd round projection and think he's more of a 3rd day guy. 

Troy Andersen, Montana - I like everything about his game except for how he doesn't runn his feet through tackles.

JoJo Domann, Nebraska - Good awareness 

CJ Mosley slimmed down from 250lb to 231lb to play in Sahel scheme. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Lots of talk about the edge and WRs, but it seems like a mike linebacker is a critical must in the draft.  Maybe not in the first round, as I suspect whoever they draft will play behind Mosley this year (and learn at his heels).  But Mosley is gone next year, assuming he doesn't do a drastic renegotiation.  And he is a mismatch for this D.  

With the assumption that a mike would not play day 1, I would conclude that one of our seconds or the third round pick would be in play for the heir apparent.  The mike also has to become a leader on the D, much like Mosley, or David Harris before him.  So who do you see as the best fits for the mike?  I see Nakobe Dean is raved about by his Georgia coaches for leadership.  Doubt Devin Lloyd drops to round 2, but with the run on edge, WR, tackles (and some CBs) in round 1, I would not be surprised to see Dean there, and am expecting to see Muma and Christian Harris there.  Troy Anderson later in the draft.  There are other LBs but assume they are better fits for a 3-4.  Would expect Damone Clark to be a late round or UDFA, but he could be a good stash in IR for a year given his recent spinal surgery, depending on whether docs see the surgery as career ending.

Ok draftniks, make your case for the mike in this year's draft.

The Jets did draft Namsah and Sherwood last year to develop into LBers, and if their profile is any indication, than it seems this defense prefers highly athletic & fast players who have the range to run down plays with their speed. 

Wisconsin’s Leo Chenal is too plodding for this defense. 

I can see Chad Muma from Wyoming or Troy Anderson from Montana St (highly athletic converted QB/RB into LB) in the 2nd round. 

Asamoah (OU) and B Smith (PSU) are too wreckless and a bit small but have that range that this defense demands. 

I would happily take either UGA LBs Walker or Tindall as they have championship pedigree, SEC bred, and fit the profile of smaller but faster LBers topping out at 240lbs. 

• Upvote 1

Muma, Troy Anderson, or Tindall could be groomed to replace Moseley a year from now as the MIKE. If Sherwood and Nasirildeen develop into the WILL & SAM, the Jets could have a nice speedy core of LBs for this defense to really make a mark to compliment our work-in-progress pass rush. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think a Muma or Anderson in the second round will make the defense much better and probably win a game.  

Anderson is still growing into the position, but you can’t ignore 112 tackles in a season for a 1st time LBer; ideal to understudy for a year under Moseley 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

He’s too big (255 lbs.) and slow for this defense. Beavers is more of a SAM to matchup with bigger TEs than he is a MIKE LBer for this scheme. 

He ran a 4.67. He’s literally a better athlete than Nasirildeen and Sherwood while weighing in at 243 lbs.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Ok so wtf is a mike linebacker? This thread pisses me off

MIKE = Middle LBer

SAM & WILL = OUTSIDE LBers

SAM LBer = The STRONG SIDE, over the TE

WILL LBer = The WEAK SIDE, outside the OT shoulder usually covering/shadowing the flat on pass plays. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

MIKE = Middle LBer

SAM & WILL = OUTSIDE LBers

SAM LBer = The STRONG SIDE, over the TE

WILL LBer = The WEAK SIDE, outside the OT shoulder usually covering/shadowing the flat on pass plays. 

Thanks for the clarification but that is some of the dumbest shyat ive heard in a while. Holy f

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 5

7 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

How is that dumb? Did you ever play the positions? This is like 60+ year old terminology. 

I have and never heard that. Well I was Oline. Its just dumb and infuriating. Yea, 100 year old terminology for sure. Catch ya later im eating a potater 23 skidoo lets buy some juju beans for the sam. Ike and mikes for sam and will.

im livid over this crap now

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I have and never heard that. Well I was Oline. Its just dumb and infuriating. Yea, 100 year old terminology for sure. Catch ya later im eating a potater 23 skidoo lets buy some juju beans for the sam. Ike and mikes for sam and will.

Almost as bad as Brett Favre not knowing what "nickel" was. ? 

• Haha 1

I love Lloyd and think he will be a gamechanger. I have been singing his praises for a while. He is one of the guys worth trading up for if he slips to the early twenties.

To me, Dean is not a Mike but profiles better as a Will. I dunno. I have issues with how he will transition to the NFL. Not as high on him as so many others.

I like Christian Harris a lot if we are looking for a speedy, instinctive Mike LB who can cover and stay on the field all 3 downs. 

A guy who hasn't been talked about in this thread and may be a little under the radar is D'Marco Jackson out of App State. Far from a finished product but he's got great speed, athleticism and tackling. Needs to get stronger and work on his play recognition. But this is a guy you draft in the later rounds who can contribute on special teams while he learns behind Mosley. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Thanks for the clarification but that is some of the dumbest shyat ive heard in a while. Holy f

LOLI think it also has to do with actually verbalizing calls ON THE FIELD. As a QB, for example, you can't yell out 'watch the Middle Inside Linebacker!' or 'ILB' or 'OLB'. It sound odd. So you yell out 'Mike! Mike! Mike!' or 'Sam! Sam!', etc. QBs still do that to this day.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I love Lloyd and think he will be a gamechanger. I have been singing his praises for a while. He is one of the guys worth trading up for if he slips to the early twenties.

To me, Dean is not a Mike but profiles better as a Will. I dunno. I have issues with how he will transition to the NFL. Not as high on him as so many others.

I like Christian Harris a lot if we are looking for a speedy, instinctive Mike LB who can cover and stay on the field all 3 downs. 

A guy who hasn't been talked about in this thread and may be a little under the radar is D'Marco Jackson out of App State. Far from a finished product but he's got great speed, athleticism and tackling. Needs to get stronger and work on his play recognition. But this is a guy you draft in the later rounds who can contribute on special teams while he learns behind Mosley. 

Saw some of him, reminded me a bit of Demario Davis - small school LB who has the traits and grit but needs a few years to refine his game to be a solid contributor at the pro level: ie, Demario Davis. Lol

“Wynnona crabtree creeping up! “ = weak side cornerback blitz

”franklin sebastian fitzgerald!” - free safety blitzing

so dumb i wish i stayed in bed that to learn of this crazy nonsense

Ive never seen a grown man throw a hissy fit like this on here and we have kevin posting threads daily. Quit derailing the thread. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1