Chiefs Trade Rumor Is Swirling

8 hours ago, Gramsci said:

Andy Reid also selected Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the first round. No one is perfect in their draft evaluation, specially when you are purely drafting for need some compromise has to be made.

I don't think the Jets need more 1st rounds to be honest, as they cause two problems - one short term and one long term. First we have to deal with how much of an impact can a Rookie have on a NFL roster in terms of substantive improvement in the field, the other comes to signing all of them if they hit to second contracts when the time comes.

You don't not load up on picks because you're worried about the 2nd contracts. 

5 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

You know Pack when you first came on the board during our joint practice I appreciated the perspective and insight from another teams loyal fan. It appears now that you just want your point to be fact and all discussion and debates turn to insults and childish statements about multiple posters who don’t agree with you. That won’t get you far or respected.

Agreed.  Packers dude, just be a little more respectful is all we ask.  I actually enjoy hearing from fans of other teams.  Would like for you to stick around.  Just go a little easier.

I also wonder how a Packer fan ended up on a Jets' forum.  I do think this is probably one of the very best (if not the best) fan forums out there.  So I can see why people would want to stay.  I just wonder how you found us in the first place.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

JD probably didn’t think Seattle was gonna suck last season, either. 

I’m just saying, for the Jets to come all the way down from the #4 pick in the draft, KC would have to throw in their 2023 first rounder in addition to their two firsts and second this year. To start. 

I don't  think the math works on that and this WR they draft better be the next Jerry Rice for that big of a trade.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No one's saying you have to draft a WR in the top 10 - but you do need to have good WR's.  I'm all for trading for one if they can and keeping the the two picks in the top 10.  Loved the Hill offer.

However Andy Reid got them - he always had good WR's when his teams won.  

There's likely some truth to these rumors that KC is in the market to find a quality WR - losing Hill will make the Chiefs worse. 

Having good WR's matters - even for the best OC with one of the best QB's in the league.

Many people, are in fact, saying that the Jets need to take a WR top 10.  I've been having this conversation for a month, with numerous posters  who said that JD and the draft would be a failure if they didnt use a top 10 pick on a WR. And the JD should be fired for not support Zach Wilson if he doesnt use a top 10 pick on WR.

On other hand, nobody is arguing you dont need good WR's.  What I'm saying (and others have contributed) is there are many ways to find a WR.  It's a position that you can hit on all through out the draft )and actually has the 2nd highest bust rate in the 1st) but it's also probably the most common traded position, like you mentioned.  I too would prefer a trade for a veteran.  IMO that would be the best way to support Zach rather than hoping you hit on the right WR and that the right WR is ready to hit the ground running week 1.  Zach needs to get off to a good start to the season, so taking a rookie who isnt ready IMO, doesnt really do a whole lot of a good.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Many people, are in fact, saying that the Jets need to take a WR top 10.  I've been having this conversation for a month, with numerous posters  who said that JD and the draft would be a failure if they didnt use a top 10 pick on a WR. And the JD should be fired for not support Zach Wilson if he doesnt use a top 10 pick on WR.

On other hand, nobody is arguing you dont need good WR's.  What I'm saying (and others have contributed) is there are many ways to find a WR.  It's a position that you can hit on all through out the draft )and actually has the 2nd highest bust rate in the 1st) but it's also probably the most common traded position, like you mentioned.  I too would prefer a trade for a veteran.  IMO that would be the best way to support Zach rather than hoping you hit on the right WR and that the right WR is ready to hit the ground running week 1.  Zach needs to get off to a good start to the season, so taking a rookie who isnt ready IMO, doesnt really do a whole lot of a good.

I think they would prefer to trade for a veteran wr more so than draft one in round 1.  But clearly the market for good wrs is hot, and guys like wilson are destined to be overdrafted.  While i like the idea of a bigger wr to pair with the smaller ones the jets have, i think both london and burks have enough questions to not warrant consideration at 10 or even in a trade back to the early teens.  I think at that point, you take 2 really good defensive prospects and then figure out which wrs in early round 2 are least likely to bust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

we need really good players. not more draft picks. 

im sure Buffalo was laughing when KC moved up to take Mahomes who was projected to go late in rd 1. now Buffalo got lucky the next year when we and the other QB picking teams gifted them Josh Allen by leaving him as the last QB on the board or they would be crying right now over that trade.,

he traded 3 picked to get Hunt. i would rather have Hunt then those 3 picks. 

if these rumors turn out to be true then we need to get that player. Reid sees something special and in recent history when he is willing to give up alot of picks to move up, those players turn out to be pretty special.

JD has tried to get the best WR in the NFL. so he knows we need someone really good there. if Ried is moving up to get one then we better get that guy. my guess is he is worth more then the extra draft picks.

Boy, am I glad you are not the GM of the Jets. If JD turns down a haul in this draft for the 4th pick, he should be fired. This isn't  a great draft. Last season was, this season kind of sucks. The best WR prospect tore his ACL. There is no great QB in this draft, the WR's this season would be second round picks last year. The only really strong position  I see is DB. More picks means more chances to get it right. We are not one player away from competing.  We are a 4 win team. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think the math works on that and this WR they draft better be the next Jerry Rice for that big of a trade.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Honestly? I still don’t love it. On the chart, #4 is 1800 points, and KC’s two firsts and second only add up to 1544. That’s a difference of 266 points, which is roughly what the last pick in the second round is worth (and about where you’d value KC’s 2023 first). So it’s fair value, but meh…

Math works. I didn’t suggest that it’s a good idea for anyone. 

I don't know about all of this trade talk but I know that despite the talk of the Jets having plenty of high draft picks in a weak draft class I WANT THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS: 

1. A STUD WR: Be it a top rookie like Wilson or Burks or Olave or Williamson or even London (who I like the least of the bunch). I want a 1st round quality WR. This also equates to potentially trading a 1st round pick for a proven veteran WR.  

2. A STUD EDGE: I want one of the top Edge rushers who the Jets feel is THEIR guy. There's no perfect or can't miss Edge in this draft. But there are a lot of quality prospects and most of the top edge rushers will go in Rd. 1-2. I want the Jets to take THEIR guy. Could be Walker, could be JJ, could be Karl., could be Thib., I don't know. Walker seems like the best fit. But not sure if that is who they like the most.   

3. Devin Lloyd: I absolutely love this guy. I think he will be one of the top LBs in the NFL in the next 2-3 years and will not only come in and start for the Jets but eventually take over for Mosley as the Mike. There's no way the Jets even consider him unless they trade down or somehow acquire an additional 1st rounder.   

4. AT MINIMUM a solid backup swing OT: Rd. 2 or 3, no lower than that. A guy who can step right in if Becton or Fant get hurt and be an upgrade over the trash backup we have now (McDermott). potentially a guy with enough upside to eventually develop into a starter. Raimann, Lucas, Diesch, I dunno someone like that. 

5. A DEVELOPMENTAL FS: But I want a guy who can contribute in some capacity. So while this is someone we can take Rd. 3 and after, I don't want to just take a flyer on 6th rounder who will most likely wash out of the NFL or probably not make the team. I like Kerby Joseph as a Rd. 3/Rd 4 target, not sure when he is expected to go. True FS ballhawk. But needs to polish his game for the NFL.  

So, TO ME, this would warrant a MOVE UP from Rd. 2 or some sort of MOVE DOWN that would garner additional draft picks to get the WR we want, the Edge and Lloyd while still having enough draft capital to get a solid swing tackle and safety. Moving down from #4 makes the most sense, IMO. Moving back into Rd. 1 would be great depending on what it would cost and who we would be moving up for.   

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, seems we mostly agree.  

Trade would be preferable.  By a wide margin - IMO.

Again just IMO, the position for the Jets is too important.  If JD can't find a trade partner, he should take the WR he believes is most likely to help ZW and the Jets.  Yes, they can find hits later - but a key role of the GM's job is to judge talent - and not just wait to see what's left.

This is where the GM needs to put his neck on the line and make that pick at 10.  

Do they have to, no, won't be the end of the world if the pass on a WR at 4 and 10 and take one in the second ....But I, personally, wouldn't take that chance if I'm the GM.  Just too big of a position for them right now to be passive.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, doitny said:

“I got a call last night from somebody who floated this rumor out that they heard about the Chiefs,” said 610’s Fescoe In The Morning.

I don’t have anything to add except that this Fescoe guy was for a time known as BULLDOG BOB and during the Todd Haley era had exactly the kind of rant you’d expect from a guy who calls himself BULLDOG BOB

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Alternatively, take 2 shots at WR day 2 and on might be a better value proposition to us than taking one at 10 just for the sake of taking one. This draft has a lot of flawed WRs, but it's not like how TE last year was where the talent pool was bone dry. There are several guys that'll start in the NFL, albeit might not have a carrying #1 this year and to the point JiF is making above, teams haven't mastered drafting WR yet. There are a lot of drafts where later guys end up being great players. If anything, the Calvin Johnson, Chase, Andre Johnson protypical guys are the outliers, not the norm usually.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, seems we mostly agree.  

Trade would be preferable.  By a wide margin - IMO.

Again just IMO, the position for the Jets is too important.  If JD can't find a trade partner, he should take the WR he believes is most likely to help ZW and the Jets.  Yes, they can find hits later - but a key role of the GM's job is to judge talent - and not just wait to see what's left.

This is where the GM needs to put his neck on the line and make that pick at 10.  

Do they have to, no, won't be the end of the world if the pass on a WR at 4 and 10 and take one in the second ....But I, personally, wouldn't take that chance if I'm the GM.  Just too big of a position for them right now to be passive.  

For sure and I'm not against a WR in the top 10.  If JD has a WR rated that highly, I agree you do it and I'd be excited about it.  Hell, if he's got a WR rated 15th and it's a bunch of meh, doesnt move the needle in front of him; OL, LB, S, etc.  Reach for the WR.  I just dont think he does, nor do I think there is that guy and I would personally would wait because I really like the 2nd to mid round talent.  Like, if you're telling me right now the Jets could crab their favorite edge, J. Davis and then land their favorite WR in the 2nd (Burks, Dotson, Watson, Perkins) and maybe my boo sauce Wan'Dale Robinson later w/ like a Pierce/Cook/Badie type back to pair with Carter, I would take that right now over what would be IMO reaching for a WR in the top 10.  I think that type of approach, maximizes value, talent, and would have the biggest impact on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Alternatively, take 2 shots at WR day 2 and on might be a better value proposition to us than taking one at 10 just for the sake of taking one. This draft has a lot of flawed WRs, but it's not like how TE last year was where the talent pool was bone dry. There are several guys that'll start in the NFL, albeit might not have a carrying #1 this year and to the point JiF is making above, teams haven't mastered drafting WR yet. There are a lot of drafts where later guys end up being great players. If anything, the Calvin Johnson, Chase, Andre Johnson protypical guys are the outliers, not the norm usually.

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

For sure and I'm not against a WR in the top 10.  If JD has a WR rated that highly, I agree you do it and I'd be excited about it.  Hell, if he's got a WR rated 15th and it's a bunch of meh, doesnt move the needle in front of him; OL, LB, S, etc.  Reach for the WR.  I just dont think he does, nor do I think there is that guy and I would personally would wait because I really like the 2nd to mid round talent.  Like, if you're telling me right now the Jets could crab their favorite edge, J. Davis and then land their favorite WR in the 2nd (Burks, Dotson, Watson, Perkins) and maybe my boo sauce Wan'Dale Robinson later w/ like a Pierce/Cook/Badie type back to pair with Carter, I would take that right now over what would be IMO reaching for a WR in the top 10.  I think that type of approach, maximizes value, talent, and would have the biggest impact on both sides of the ball.

Come Prince And The Revolution GIF by Prince

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Boy, am I glad you are not the GM of the Jets. If JD turns down a haul in this draft for the 4th pick, he should be fired. This isn't  a great draft. Last season was, this season kind of sucks. The best WR prospect tore his ACL. There is no great QB in this draft, the WR's this season would be second round picks last year. The only really strong position  I see is DB. More picks means more chances to get it right. We are not one player away from competing.  We are a 4 win team. 

i agree that this draft isnt good , but doesnt it make sense to keep your top pick in the draft to get the best players in it? 

so we give them 4 and now have 10, 27, 35, 38 and 50. 

at 10 there is no Sause, no OL if thats your thing. there a good chance the #1 WR is taken before 10. Hutch and Thibs are gone. maybe even the 3rd best Edge. KT is gone. you just took yourselve out of some of the best players in this draft.

at 27, 5-6 WRs and Edges are probably off the board by then.

your trading 4 for 27 which sucks. you add a 50 which in a crappy draft im not sure what you think your getting and a 1st next year which will be around 30. its not a good deal.

its not that KC is one player away and we are not, its that they understand its a crappy draft and they need to get to the top to draft the best player they can. and we are already there and we want to move back to get more picks in a crappy draft? makes no sense.

4,10,35, and 38 are enough to turn this team into a better team. losing 4 for 27 and 50 and 30 next year is a bad move IMO

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

We aren’t 1 player away, if we could get two more good starters I’d take the trade.

But...we don't have just 1 pick. We already have 4 picks inside the top 40 (on top of a high 3rd, a pair of 4ths, and a pair of 5ths).

Another 1st with this sounds ok in that more is better than fewer, but it's too many rookies (playing with so many 2nd year starters from last year's class). I know it's a great fantasy to have so many young players on their rookie contracts from a cap perspective (allows us to fit others), but there are real downsides to using too many of our high picks into too small of a window. 

Plus it was only a matter of weeks ago that fans here were cursing us having doubled-up picks in rounds 1, 2, 4, and 5 in what is/was considered a meh draft class; like this wasn't the year to have those extra picks. I could understand it if this was a uniquely stacked pool of prospects, but few draftniks/addicts seem to think so.

I'm all for trading down, but I'd much prefer trading down fewer slots & picking up an extra 1st rounder next year not this year.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's hard to say what he does. Until we saw it happen, no one imagined he'd be one to offer so much - in both draft picks and then in a record-shattering contract - for Tyreek Hill (let alone when he just drafted his prototype not 12 months earlier). 

A year earlier he was only the type that wanted to trade down & hoard picks -- then he stays at #2 instead of taking a windfall of picks, and then further trades away a pair of 3rd rounders to move up 8 slots for a guard (in an OL-rich draft). 

The wisdom of doing these things is a separate discussion; I don't think we all know his m-o or philosophy as well as we think. It seems he'd do different things in the start of a tear-down or in year-one of a build-up, and may do things differently-still a year later.

I don't know what he'd do & what he wouldn't, beyond his pattern of not using super-high cap or draft resources on lower-paid positions (e.g. trading Adams, merely tagging Maye, trying to get half-pregnant with his TEs, staying away from high pick & high pay RBs, and more). I'm happy with that - especially while the team still has serious needs at high-dollar positions that are harder to fill/find - but he still needs to choose wisely after weeding out those lower-value positions; not to mention find a healthier medium between not-overpaying and barely paying anything at all. 

But yeah, I'd hate to see him miss on a serious playmaking WR (playing for cheap for 4 seasons) because an OT he doesn't presently need had a draft grade 0.2 points higher. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

3. Devin Lloyd: I absolutely love this guy. I think he will be one of the top LBs in the NFL in the next 2-3 years and will not only come in and start for the Jets but eventually take over for Mosley as the Mike. There's no way the Jets even consider him unless they trade down or somehow acquire an additional 1st rounder.   

Would love to get Lloyd too (though maybe Leo Chenal is a good 2nd option?)

I feel like it's not going to happen, though, because I don't see us taking him at 4 over an Edge (or maybe Ekwonu) or at 10 over a WR (which I'm assuming right now that we're going to take).  Possibly if we can trade back from 4 and get 2 first rounders then it could happen.  Or maybe if we trade 10 for a WR and then trade down from 4.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but it's hard to say what he does. Until we saw it happen, no one imagined he'd be one to offer so much - in both draft picks and then in a record-shattering contract - for Tyreek Hill (let alone when he just drafted his prototype not 12 months earlier). 

A year earlier he was only the type that wanted to trade down & hoard picks -- then he stays at #2 instead of taking a windfall of picks, and then further trades away a pair of 3rd rounders to move up 8 slots for a guard (in an OL-rich draft). 

The wisdom of doing these things is a separate discussion; I don't think we all know his m-o or philosophy as well as we think. It seems he'd do different things in the start of a tear-down or in year-one of a build-up, and may do things differently-still a year later.

I don't know what he'd do & what he wouldn't, beyond his pattern of not using super-high cap or draft resources on lower-paid positions (e.g. trading Adams, merely tagging Maye, trying to get half-pregnant with his TEs, staying away from high pick & high pay RBs, and more). I'm happy with that - especially while the team still has serious needs at high-dollar positions that are harder to fill/find - but he still needs to choose wisely after weeding out those lower-value positions; not to mention find a healthier medium between not-overpaying and barely paying anything at all. 

But yeah, I'd hate to see him miss on a serious playmaking WR (playing for cheap for 4 seasons) because an OT he doesn't presently need had a draft grade 0.2 points higher. 

Fair.  2 drafts isnt exactly a very large sample size so maybe it's a coincidence that in both drafts so far he's taken OL in the first (Becton/AVT), WR in the 2nd (Mims/Moore) and RB in the 4th (Perine/Carter) and DB in the 5th (Hall/Carter/Pinnock). 

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Fair.  2 drafts isnt exactly a very large sample size so maybe it's a coincidence that in both drafts so far he's taken OL in the first (Becton/AVT), WR in the 2nd (Mims/Moore) and RB in the 4th (Perine/Carter).  

Ekwonu at 4 followed by a WR (with our 2nd pick, though it'll be a 1st rounder) with a RB in the 4th is a very realistic possibility.

Though I still think we're taking an Edge at 4.

And I think you're being sarcastic anyway - lol.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ekwonu at 4 followed by a WR (with our 2nd pick, though it'll be a 1st rounder) with a RB in the 4th is a very realistic possibility.

No sarcasm.  It's small sample size.  Could be coincidence.  And sure, it a possibility.  I'm making no predictions, just sharing my gut feels.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we go edge at 4 , its a reach but I'd nab Jermaine Johnson . I really feel its going to Gardner though. 

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd think that's a long shot.

The only thing that makes me think maybe at all is that they haven't extended Fant yet. 

Becton...possible, certainly, but by now there'd have probably been at least some leak/chatter about the Jets having fielded offers or having sought offers for him. 

He'd have to have no interest in at least one of the top 3 edge rushers plus Gardner, plus he was unable to trade down, plus he was unable to move Fant or Becton.

I think it's unrealistic; he has his starting 5. 

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd think that's a long shot.

The only thing that makes me think maybe at all is that they haven't extended Fant yet. 

Becton...possible, certainly, but by now there'd have probably been at least some leak/chatter about the Jets having fielded offers or having sought offers for him. 

He'd have to have no interest in at least one of the top 3 edge rushers plus Gardner, plus he was unable to trade down, plus he was unable to move Fant or Becton.

I think it's unrealistic; he has his starting 5. 

I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's realistic.  Potentially JD might only think 2-3 edges are worth #4 and they could all be off the board by our pick. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Jameson Williams szn means Jameson Williams season.

(I had to ask my 16 yr old. lol)

It's what I was thinking but then thought who is so lazy that they can't type out the entire word. Silly me. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t have anything to add except that this Fescoe guy was for a time known as BULLDOG BOB and during the Todd Haley era had exactly the kind of rant you’d expect from a guy who calls himself BULLDOG BOB

lmao

I thought I got the gist of it within the first minute.

No.

It gets better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's realistic.  Potentially JD might only think 2-3 edges are worth #4 and they could all be off the board by our pick. 

If it's very, very unlikely then it isn't realistic.

The only way it becomes realistic is if you have knowledge of Douglas making plans to dump Fant or Becton this season. 

Just because some people on the internet think it's a good idea, doesn't make it a good idea - or realistic - that a team with two starting left tackles goes and drafts a third one with its highest draft pick.

It's unrealistic. :tongue2:

...now watch him go and do just that, without trading either Fant or Becton, just to burn me on this website.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Jif, your point is not wrong but like the stock market past results are not indicative of future returns and each set of players is unique. This could be a draft where there are only a couple WR prospects and you need to draft them early yo get one. You just cannot assume you will get a starter in the later rounds.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If it's very, very unlikely then it isn't realistic.

The only way it becomes realistic is if you have knowledge of Douglas making plans to dump Fant or Becton this season. 

Just because some people on the internet think it's a good idea, doesn't make it a good idea - or realistic - that a team with two starting left tackles goes and drafts a third one with its highest draft pick.

It's unrealistic. :tongue2:

...now watch him go and do just that, without trading either Fant or Becton, just to burn me on this website.

The one thing about drafting Ekwonhu is that we don't have any OG spots for him to play for a year while an OT spot opens up.  And JD said he expects Bechhton to be one of our OTs this year so maybe you're right.  Unless JD thinks Ekwonhu is green jacket material (normally gold but showing respect for what weekend it is).