Blue-Chip Talent

Outside of the trenches not too much to get excited about.

CJ Mosley is definitely an above average LB (given about 60-90 starting offball LBs starting in the league - watching him play he is definitely a top 30 LB)

Elijah Moore and Michael Carter are emerging at their positions and project to be above average, with blue chip potential

The thing is, if your qb is good and you have a few good guys on offense that makes lots of guys better than they otherwise would be if they were on, say, the jets.  The OL has to pass block a bit less, the wrs have it easier getting the ball in the right spot, and the defense is more likely to be playing with a lead than a team like the jets.  So what happens is that the jets pay big FA money to sign some of these guys, but really, sometimes they’re just products of better teams, coaching and systems.  Positional value is a corollary to this.  Having great safeties, cbs or rbs aren’t as important as having great qb, wr and pass rushers.  So yes, this should impact which positions are and are not drafted in the first and second rounds.  

Good players at the right positions are more important than having great players at the wrong positions.  This is why the jets should not draft gardener or Hamilton, as nether seem destined to be truly elite to be worth it.

• Post of the Week 1

Of course we all care about having a Blue Chip QB, which is the position where it's most important to have a Blue Chip.  Blue Chip QB gives you a shot... and at least makes the Jets competitive/entertaining - year in year out.  It almost feels like a Blue Chip analysis of a team is mostly irrelevant without the QB given where the NFL is at this point.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We have a bunch of blue chip talent : Zach, Elijah, Michael Carter, AVT, Becton etc.

And at least 2 or 3 more blue chippers will be here in less then 3 weeks.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

I appreciate the positivity. I like to think I am one of the more optimistic posters here. But there are ZERO guys that fit this thread discussion as of today. It’s apparent my definition of “blue chip” is way different than some on this thread. 

If you can trade the player for a first rounder or if he has enjoyed a pro bowl within the last 3 years… that’s a blue chip nfl pro. Draft value between 33-50 is not blue chip IMO. 

Consider who the Jets have have drafted in the last 10 years between the 33-50 slots. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I appreciate the positivity. I like to think I am one of the more optimistic posters here. But there are ZERO guys that fit this thread discussion as of today. It’s apparent my definition of “blue chip” is way different than some on this thread. 

If you can trade the player for a first rounder or if he has enjoyed a pro bowl within the last 3 years… that’s a blue chip nfl pro. Draft value between 33-50 is not blue chip IMO. 

Consider who the Jets have have drafted in the last 10 years between the 33-50 slots. 

Actually maye and moore are two of the best 2nd round picks in the past 20 years.  And that’s the problem.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t think it’s a poor definition.  A player’s value to the league as a whole is pretty telling.  It’s the threshold that needs to be adjusted.  A single top 50 pick is clearly way too low.

Shane was just using that as a barometer to show how the Jets don’t have anything close to a “blue chip talent” by league standards outside of MAYBE Elijah Moore.

Trade value also reflects contract being taken on or demanded in the future which distorts it use.  It seems simpler to use some sort of position ranking threshold IMHO... and perhaps a look back at ranking if injuries or down year (ie Top 10 most current year, or Top 10 at position in 2 of the last three years)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ll appreciate this: I would do it to help Zach Wilson. I want to get him to the 49ers where he belongs.

The Jets suddenly deciding to trade a 2nd overall pick after 12 starts would almost guarantee that the guy develops into a decent QB. Especially in San Francisco. 

I’d do it for the Cummindeers 1st

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Zach, Q, E, AVT they all can net 1st rounders this year 

Maybe Becton is he can get his sh*t together 

Lawson if he plays well coming back from injury 

I will conceded ZW based on my definition of getting a first rounder in a trade.

On draft position, age, and potential, you can make an argument for E Moore and AVT as first round trade talent.
Other than that, I’m not convinced anyone is blue chip. Again I am a very optimistic Jets fan, just don’t like giving the term blue chip out too liberally. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets suddenly deciding to trade a 2nd overall pick after 12 starts would almost guarantee that the guy develops into a decent QB. Especially in San Francisco. 

I’d do it for the Cummindeers 1st

Zach Wilson vs Carson Wentz in a training camp battle is too depressing to think about.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

we can't blame him but can we resent him? 

all this talk about getting players at a good value, their highest paid dude is an ILB who can't run 

He had 168 tackles last year, playing alongside jags. No splash plays on a losing team, making that kind of money, you're bound to get singled out. He's a very good football player, on a bad team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Elijah Moore is the only Jets player that you could trade and get back a top 50 pick right now. 

Well that's if your any old GM

Joe got a 6th for Blake Cashman and a 6th for Dan Brown, and a 2nd, 4th and 6th for Sam Darnold

now imagine what he could get for some other meh players on the Jets

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

CJ Mosely's gets about 150 tackles but they're all 5 yards downfield. He's got value in a 3-4 but if the Jets could have traded this player, they would have. He's their highest paid player #1 cap hit, it's ludicrous what he brings compared to what he's paid 

Yesterday it was someone who gets all his sacks when its early and it means nothing

Today its, yeah he got a lot of tackles but they were 5 yards downfield.

These are ludicrous takes.  Add in, yeah, he ht a lot of HRs but they all came when the game was decided.  Thing is they are kinds of arguments you made as a kid to downgrade a player on your friends team.  Not the one you supposedly root for

10 minutes ago, genot said:

He had 168 tackles last year, playing alongside jags. No splash plays on a losing team, making that kind of money, you're bound to get singled out. He's a very good football player, on a bad team.

Mosley chased the money and ruined his career in the process. Kudos to him to cashing in, but he’s a tragedy. He begged Baltimore to come close to the Jets offer and the Ravens said “nah.” He’ll retire with $70 mil in career earnings, but I’d imagine he’d swap careers in a second with Dont’a Hightower, who only pocketed $50 mil.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Elijah Moore is the only Jets player that you could trade and get back a top 50 pick right now. 

How dare you leave out Bryce "better pass rush win rate than Chase Young" Huff.

Also, in fairness, AVT might be pretty damn good.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yesterday it was someone who gets all his sacks when its early and it means nothing

Today its, yeah he got a lot of tackles but they were 5 yards downfield.

These are ludicrous takes.  Add in, yeah, he ht a lot of HRs but they all came when the game was decided.  Thing is they are kinds of arguments you made as a kid to downgrade a player on your friends team.  Not the one you supposedly root for

James Harden hits shots when it doesn't matter 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I consider a blue chip player to be a pro bowler within the last year or so. 

So unfortunately we don’t have any on offense or defense. 

We have got Sexton Berrios though, for what it’s worth. 

One day we won't  have Blue Chip players like Berrios on the Jets

Thread Intent:
To highlight the level of suck of the New York Jets
Thread Reaction:
Yeah we know dude, happy friday

Intent: to find out how people feel about the top tier talent on the roster.

I think the roster sucks, actually. I also don’t think it has any many blue-chip talents as some people here think, but I don’t think there are zero.

Happy Friday, though. Have a good weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think this will be an interesting talking point, so I want to open it up here so everyone can participate.

How many “blue-chip” players do the Jets have on offense? How many do they have on defense?

For those wondering why I asked, it’s because the Jets have a chance to potentially add 2-3 “blue chip” talents in the draft with their early picks.

No, the Jets don’t have 5+ blue-chippers, but they also don’t have zero. Right now, I’d say they have 1.5 to 2, (AVT and Moore). They have none on defense. They absolutely need to add more of these types of players this draft cycle. Players I consider “blue-chip” talent in this draft:

- Kayvon Thibodeaux
- Ikem Ekwonu
- Kyle Hamilton
- Ahmad Gardner
- Aidan Hutchinson
- Evan Neal
- Garrett Wilson
- Jameson Williams
- Tyler Linderbaum
- Jermaine Johnson
- Derek Stingley Jr.

No reason the Jets couldn’t get two of them at 4 and 10, and then trade back up into Rd1 for the third. Or, if they are lucky, they can have Linderbaum fall to them at 35/38.

If by blue chip, you mean top 1-15 players at their position in terms of actual ability judged by last seasons performance and not future ability (eg young players).  The answer is basically zero.  Fant, JFM and CmG  are probably the closest.
Mosley isnt even close to being a top 15 lber anymore.
I’m kinda hoping AVT, Becton, Moore and QW moves up into that rank this year, but well hope springs eternal.

Blue-chip is roughy top 1-8 at the position. 15 would be average. I would argue a Mosley who got 150+ tackles last season is closer to blue-chip than McGovern, despite why PFF tells you. AVT is a blue-chip to me, and Moore is counts as half since he can ball if his QB plays well.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL 

You have to admit, its sometihing people use as lot. 

they do - and there's some truth to it 

the only stat that really matters is QB Wins 

alot of these other stats can be "soft"  - i.e. not interested in a guy who only beats bad tackles. 

KT's best film is against AVT from 2020 and he's a guard playing out of position at tackle