WFAN Legend Joe Benigno talks New York Jets Draft, Zach Wilson, his Jets fandom, and much more!

Thinks JD has done a tremendous job.  Favorite move was bringing back Berrios.  Really liked bringing back Tevin Coleman.

Has legit optimism about ZW.  He has to show us more but he improved over the year

Wants more running out of ZW.

He's concerned with Saleh (and he said he wanted him to be our HC).  Thinks he's "too nice".  Not enough accountability.  Also, Saleh hinting that Cincy took 3 years to get to the SB, which Joe B thinks is Saleh setting the fans up for another losing year. 

Thinks there's no reason Jets can't get 9 wins.  That's the minimum he's expecting.

He doesn't want any of the WRs in a trade (Deebo, Tyreek, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf).  Thinks they're not worth it on a team that's not ready to win a SB.

Thinks Mekhi and Mims stink

Wants an OT at #4.  (He has no faith in Mekhi)

Doesn't love McGovern and wouldn't be mind drafting Linda Baum.  He'd be ecstatic if we traded the 2 2nd rounders for Linda Baum.

Wants a WR at #10.

In the 2nd round he's open to suggestion.  If JD wants to take the 2 best D players, that's fine with him. 

Doesn't want anything to do with a safety in round 1.

Wearing a Laveranues Coles jersey.  Thinks he's highly underrated in Jet history.

Watches old games on YouTube.  He recently re-watched the playoff loss to the Raiders in 2002.  Plus the 1986 playoff disaster in Cleveland (he couldn't believe Walton got 3 more years after that).  He also re-watched the fake spike game.  Wants to re-watch the 42-17 win from 2002 over the Packers that got us into the playoffs.

Thinks the fact that the Jets have never had their own stadium has contributed to the team not making a SB.  He thinks MetLife is still Giants' stadium.  He's upset that there's no Namath statue.  When you go to other teams' stadiums you feel that team's history (unlike MetLife with the Jets).  

At the 24 minute mark, Asman plays a clip of his first day at WFAN.  Joe B gets upset that Marcus Maye (who he and Evan were interviewing) had a bad connection.  Hilarious rant.

His most memorable rant was the day they lost to the Lions in Parcells' rookie year (Leon Johnson INT).  Francesa called in on Joe B's overnight show at around 2:15AM and they talked for around an hour (Francesa was close with BB).

Doesn't blame BB for 1999.  Says BB never wanted that job.  Thinks BB wanted to get away from BP.

He initially said the biggest mistake in franchise history was losing BB but then changed to them not drafting Marino.  He thinks the Jets would have at least gone to a SB with Marino (though he wasn't sure they'd have won due to the NFC teams being really tough).  

Gase vs Kotite: He thinks Kotite was worse.  "As bad as Gase was, at least he tried".

At 31:41 another hilarious Joe B rant while on the phone with Brian Costello (regarding Gase).

Biggest mistake Woody made as owner was firing Tanny.  "They should've left Tanny and Rex alone".  Liked that Rex gave the franchise an identity.  Didn't back down from anybody.  Rex won more playoff games than any HC in the history of the franchise.  Got to 2 AFC CGs with Sanchez as his QB.  Beat Brady and Peyton on the road with Sanchez.  That's Rex's doing.  They made lots of mistakes though.  Signing Santonio was a mistake.  That's part of why he wants nothing to do with any of these WRs (Tyreek, etc).  Thinks Rex was the best coach other than Weeb.  BP only won 1 playoff game.

Best wins:

1) SB III

2) AFL title game to get to the SB

3) Win in New England in 2011

At 39:20, the "funniest moment in Joe and Evan history"

Best Jet HCs: Weeb, Rex, Walt Michaels.  Praised Herm.  Said he played too conservatively at times but is the only HC to take the team to the postseason 3 times

Doug Brien was his #2 worst loss of all time.

Doesn't count the Steeler AFC CG loss in his worst 10 losses.

Becoming a Jet fan was the biggest mistake he's made.

Namath is the GOAT Jet.  Wants a statue of Namath (holding his finger up with #1) and in the Jets' own stadium.

Thinks the Jets should have a stadium next to Citifield.

He's not in the Jet fan HOF.  Says he has no shot at it.

As far as ZW, he thinks he has a chance to be a great QB.  Great arm.  Great escapability.  Should get more designed runs.  Needs good coaching.  Build OL.  Get another WR.

Worst #1 draft pick.  "There's so many of them".  Johnny Lam Jones.  Dee Milliner.  Calvin Pryor.  Steve Tannen (DB out of Florida).  Johnny Mitchell.  Mike Haight.  Blair Thomas is right up there with them.  "And how about some of the #2's they've taken?!"  Thinks Maccagnan might be the worst GM in franchise history (refers to Hackenberg).

Says you can't find AFL Championship game from 1968 anywhere (e.g. on YouTube) but that was the game that Namath showed his greatness.

Never got to meet Don Maynard but says he was one of the greatest WRs of all time.  88 career TD - Jet record.  "Namath to Maynard".  "But let's not forget George Sauer" (who he says was highly underrated).  Maynard and Sauer will always be his favorite WR combo.

Talks about how, in his opinion, Erik McMillen was the best S in Jet history.  Marty Lyons will be on "Oh The Pain" next Monday.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, doitny said:

wow you must really like this guy

Yeah, I'm not one of the drama queens on here who constantly complain about the guy.

I understand the complaints (at least to an extent) but, to me, Joe B is cathartic.  And he still makes me laugh.   Plus he's been watching the NFL for the entirety of the Super Bowl era, which not many people can say.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I think he's  a wackadoodle

Of course he is.  But I still laugh during his interviews (sometimes at him and other times with him).  But laughter aside, he's watched the NFL for the entirety of the Super Bowl era.  That makes him somewhat of an NFL historian.

While I love the story of how he won a contest as a fan and on the day he was supposed to go on there was a major snowstorm predicted so he got to the studio hours in advance his act got old quickly and by the end, like much of the station became unlistenable. Give me @GREENBEAN @bla bla bla , Jake Asman, Jets Media, Frankie From Flatbush, Matt O'Leary any day of the week

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

While I love the story of how he won a contest as a fan and on the day he was supposed to go on there was a major snowstorm predicted so he got to the studio hours in advance his act got old quickly and by the end, like much of the station became unlistenable. Give me @GREENBEAN @bla bla bla , Jake Asman, Jets Media, Frankie From Flatbush, Matt O'Leary any day of the week

Well I just gave you Jake Asman, and he was highly complimentary of Benigno.

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I want to know why he's so interested in the Jets drafting the first female player in NFL history - Linda Baum.  

What about Terry Glenn?  Chrissy Everett?  And how about JD's own, Daphne Zuniga?  Not to mention these gals:

12-Tom-Brady.jpg

Jimmy G.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger.JPG

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well I just gave you Jake Asman, and he was highly complimentary of Benigno.

While I do like and respect Jake Asman , and his Long Island ties , he is also part of the paid media where they all seem to stroke each other's egos to no end . Again , I liked Beningo in the beginning , but by the end I couldn't stand him and found him unlistenable and not believable . Put him in the category with Greeny and Craig Carton , as fake Jet fans

• Upvote 1