12-5 and win AFCE

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Agreed, culture change is under rated in this forum and as a statistic... These guys are hungry and out to prove the world wrong... 

Look at how SF turned from top 2 pick to superbowl loss 4-12 to 13-3... 

This is the method on how they did it and why can't it work the same here

Jimmy G got hurt in game 3 the year they went 4 and 12.  He started 16 games the following year. 

Nick Mullens and C.J. Bethard are culturial icons. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

45 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Agreed on this... It will be tough to win but at least it's at home... 

Tough for sure, but at home + Week 1 is always a funny week and I never bet on Week 1 NFL games because they always seem to be the more unpredictable with the most upsets.

It's certainly a good opportunity for us, but Baltimore was ravaged by injuries last year and they'll be starting the season healthy again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

They are sleeping because they are saying 1-3 wins better at best... Most news outlets at least... 7-10 is what I hear most. 

Then you aren't  actively reading this forum where there have been a number of glowing predictions from talking heads posted here. I know there are a number of bad ones as well but to my point, what you focus on is up to you. There are always going to be 2 sides of the coin shown

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Pats got better? They lose their best defense player... They lose there decade long OC and they got better? Plus their long time OL coach is long gone that was everything so much so that Brady made BB bring him back out of retirement... Sorry pats got much worse and did nothing to support Mac but overdraft a guard. 

Yeah I agree, Pats aren’t making too much noise this year.

Bills got Elam and Cooks and Von Miller. Von Miller will help a lot... A rookie DB and later RB that isn't great at pass pro isn't going to help this year they should have drafted hall or walker. 

Bills had one of the most underrated offseasons of any team. They got Von Miller, OJ Howard, Roger Saffold, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle, plus their draft picks, and added all these players to a roster that was already one of the best in the NFL.

Miami got Hill... Ok great... The dink dunk offense can be stopped... 

Miami had a great offseason too. They didn’t just get Hill. They also got Terron Armstead, Chase Edmonds, Raheem Mostert, Emmanuel Ogbah, plus their draft picks.

Jets literally got statistically better at every position outside of LB and QB.. and the QB is headed to year 2 where most QBs make the biggest mental leap...  Not not just better but top tier better at each position. 

If you’re going to rank the teams, you should at least know what each did in the offseason. You seem to be unaware of many of the divisional opponents moves.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Skeptable said:. 

Bills got Elam and Cooks and Von Miller. Von Miller will help a lot... A rookie DB and later RB that isn't great at pass pro isn't going to help this year they should have drafted hall

Jets literally got statistically better at every position outside of LB and QB.. and the QB is headed to year 2 where most QBs make the biggest mental leap...  Not not just better but top tier better at each position. 

So is it going to be easy? No of course not... But they are going to make a huge leap. 

Are bills better, slightly... Miami, slightly... Pats, no... And Jets, immensely better. 

I Don’t think Von Miller will  have the impact everyone thinks he will. He’s getting up there in years. Can see him being an albatross of a contract much the same as Khalil Mack is who’s production has diminished 

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I Don’t think Von Miller will  have the impact everyone thinks he will. He’s getting up there in years. Can see him being an albatross of a contract much the same as Khalil Mack is who’s production has diminished 

It’s basically a three year, $45M deal. But he is getting up there. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Jimmy G got hurt in game 3 the year they went 4 and 12.  He started 16 games the following year. 

Nick Mullens and C.J. Bethard are culturial icons. 

And Wilson didn't get hurt or his LT... Or lose the edge rusher... Comparisons aren't as far off as you think

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Facts said:

Yeah I agree, Pats aren’t making too much noise this year.

Bills had one of the most underrated offseasons of any team. They got Von Miller, OJ Howard, Roger Saffold, Jordan Phillips, Tim Settle, plus their draft picks, and added all these players to a roster that was already one of the best in the NFL.

Miami had a great offseason too. They didn’t just get Hill. They also got Terron Armstead, Chase Edmonds, Raheem Mostert, Emmanuel Ogbah, plus their draft picks.

If you’re going to rank the teams, you should at least know what each did in the offseason. You seem to be unaware of many of the divisional opponents moves.

I know what they did... Armistead edmonds mostert an ogbah aren't moving needles... They aren't even better then what they had... 

Bills got saffold!!! No way... Come on Howard is a bust Phillips is done and settle? Again Miller is the only needle mover and better than their starters... Getting depth is not needle moving

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

What is your point?  Because some people were bullish on them winning one game you think you have proven something? ? 

It's comfortably beyond proven into the realm of indisputable.

• WTF? 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, Skeptable said:

Optimism because the fact they added pro bowlers or top draft talent... Not depth at each position group... I think it's absurd to underestimate this group... 

Each groups addition pushed last year's top starter down a peg or 2... Every single group... That's a big difference. 

well........not exactly but close. JJ hasnt pushed anyone down the depth chart but I believe he is a good addition. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:12 AM, PorP said:

This on the beat down. 

Every off season are promises and hype and excitement.

Then the season starts and every fan all at once become that one guy in waterboy "oh no, we suck again"

Like we say every year.... hopefully this year is different. 

lol from your mouth to....................

On 6/28/2022 at 2:52 AM, peebag said:

Yes.  Carl Lawson was the missing piece.

Carl Lawson is not a closer. Never has been and I doubt he ever will be. He lacks the lateral agility to counter a step-up or shimmy by the QB. I'm not saying he is trash. When you make the QB move off his spot, good things happen. He has borderline elite acceleration but lacks change-of-direction. He cannot produce 10+ sack seasons on his own. His best season (rookie year) he had 8.5 sacks with all-world Geno Atkins on the other side. Teams had to pick their poison and they (wisely) chose Lawson. He's never come close to that since and now he's got an Achilles to boot. Again not garbage but he's not going to be Cameron Wake to come out of nowhere and start stringing together double-digit sack seasons. If you look at the sack leaders for the last many years, nearly all of them have one physical attribute in common -- A+ lateral agility. Lawson ain't that guy. He's a complementary edge rusher who can get in there and disrupt. This is valuable and good to have but not a guy offenses need to game plan for.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Carl Lawson is not a closer. Never has been and I doubt he ever will be. He lacks the lateral agility to counter a step-up or shimmy by the QB. I'm not saying he is trash. When you make the QB move off his spot, good things happen. He has borderline elite acceleration but lacks change-of-direction. He cannot produce 10+ sack seasons on his own. His best season (rookie year) he had 8.5 sacks with all-world Geno Atkins on the other side. Teams had to pick their poison and they (wisely) chose Lawson. He's never come close to that since and now he's got an Achilles to boot. Again not garbage but he's not going to be Cameron Wake to come out of nowhere and start stringing together double-digit sack seasons. If you look at the sack leaders for the last many years, nearly all of them have one physical attribute in common -- A+ lateral agility. Lawson ain't that guy. He's a complementary edge rusher who can get in there and disrupt. This is valuable and good to have but not a guy offenses need to game plan for.

He will be used differently in this system. Not saying he is going to be elite pass rusher but he is the best pass rusher on the team at the moment. With QW, JFM, Thomas and Rankins on the inside and Martin, Lawson, Huff and JJ on the outside, there is going to be a lot less time in the pocket for opposing QBs, It certainly beats what they were running out there last year.

My point to the post he is referring to is that the Jets didn't get depth players at each position group. They added arguably the best player in each position group this offseason. Sure some are debatable whether they truly are the best at each position group but its not like the other teams in the division where they only got 1 maybe 2 players at the top of their position groups and the rest were solid depth.

The Jets easily will be the most improved and have a chance to compete for the division.  I think they surprise a lot of non-believers here.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Tough for sure, but at home + Week 1 is always a funny week and I never bet on Week 1 NFL games because they always seem to be the more unpredictable with the most upsets.

It's certainly a good opportunity for us, but Baltimore was ravaged by injuries last year and they'll be starting the season healthy again. 

Jets were ravaged by injuries too. And got better all around

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:24 PM, Skeptable said:

It seems you are underestimating adding either a probowler or high draft talent to every position group not to mention the most injured team last year... Never since I have been a fan has the team improved this much in an off season... Less then 10 wins is an absolute failure... 

Safety... Added probowler and brought back their 2nd best player as well

CB.... Added a probowler and a top 5 draft pick.. 

LB... Injuries but didn't get worse

DL... Added Martin, Lawson, Thomas and move JFM inside

WR... Added top 10 draft talent only lost a possession Wr

RB... added a 3 down NFL ready back to pair with MC... 

TE... added 2 top 10 TEs and drafted the top blocking TE in the draft... 

OL... added a pro bowl guard and get back a top 10 LT talent from injury... Lose a net negative in GVR and Moses which could hurt depth... 

QB in his 2nd year that all QBs make a big leap. 

So please come at with where the Jets didn't improve... 

Not to mention coaching should be better all around in the 2nd year and 2nd year of system. 

The pessimism of this fan group is stupid and ridiculous... I have been a fan for 40+ years and this is close to the lowest optimism I have seen.... It's worse then Gase year 2... Which is bad... 

This an older post, but it is an interesting one.  Thorough and there is plenty to think about on both sides of the coin.  I get why people are pessimistic.  We have good reason.  Still...

Safety - they added a solid one in Whitehead and get Joyner back, but they also lose Maye who was a reason to be optimistic last offseason. 

CB has improved with no losses.  Huzzah!

LB - they let Davis go.  Not a big loss, but he was solid enough and another reason to be optimistic last offseason.  There is reason to hope since Williams, Nasrildean and Sherwood have more time in the system.  Mostly I think they just don't care much about LB.

DL - in addition to the guys they added above, they also got Johnson and Clemons in the draft.  Losing Fatukasi makes you wonder about the run D, but we will see.  They will cut some NFL caliber talent, but won't necessarily be good  Should be interesting.  

I think the D should be better.  I have a feeling that they schemed vanilla to protect the secondary, and they are a play from ahead, bully kind of defense.  They should be better.  I have no idea how much.  Last year I expected them to be bad, but the idea they would be that bad without thinking that every member of the secondary should be cut shocked me. 

On O?

WR - They added a top 10 draft talent, but they lost both Crowder (presumably the "posession WR" referenced) and Cole.  Cole did not provide what we wanted/expected, but he was certainly ahead of Mims and Jeff Smith.  Plug Wilson in for Crowder and you still have a bit of a hole on what was a fairly ineffective group to start with.  Hopefully Moore will be healthier because he sure flashed.

RB - Breece Hall is certainly the big addition.  Seems like a big expense for a RBBC.  This is a place where I think I will judge them.  They made this move.  If this is not THE guy, then why take such a big swing?  Still, they certainly don't seem to have gotten any worse and the UDFA Knight is also interesting.  

TE - Another place where they went full revamp.  I get that these two FAs were higher level, but Griffin and Kroft were big parts of the offense at various times.  These upgrades might really step up the O, but we thought the same about Kroft.  It should be interesting.  I don't have any idea how good Ruckert will be, but it doesn't seem like he can be bad.  

OL - Adding Tomlinson should be huge.  That was by far our weak link and they even look to have upgraded from GVR with Herbig.  Still, Moses walked for peanuts and Becton remains a question mark.  No matter how much optimism one has, you have to worry about what will happen with the other tackle spot.  I was a big Mitchell fan, but he did not sound like an ideal guy to start early in his career.

QB - Let us pray.

I think the O really came along.  Early in the year I had a post preaching patience and that was because I think people were losing their sh*t looking to can LaFleur in September.  I think they know what they want to do and you could see signs, but it only takes a bad play or two to submarine a drive.  Things looked better as they came along and particularly after LaFleur got into the booth.  The running game seemed to take off and Wilson cut down on the turnovers.  Hopefully they will continue to build on that.  OTOH, they let go of two of the guys brought in to steady Wilson in Beck and Cavanaugh.  They are back to just Rob Calabrese and Flacco is probably at least a decade older than anyone in those meetings, including coaches. 

I think they improved and see reasons for optimism, but I don't feel particularly confident they will be competing for a wild card spot in a league were 28 of 32 teams are competing for a wild card spot.  More importantly, this is a board where I read daily posts about how the Yankees MUST improve and the GM should be fired because they fell one game behind the pace for best record in MLB history.  This place is a misery.  Always has been. 

• Sympathy 2