Jets get rid of cheerleaders, no more Flight Crew

How would you like the cheerleaders to dress?  Jeans and a tshirt?  How many women do you know that dont enjoy looking good and feeling sexy?  

My point exactly .. there is nothing wrong with it .. I prefer it to the idea of baggy sweatpants and sweatshirts(killed to reference to what I thought might offend those that follow a religion that requires women to cover up)... but that is repressive in my eyes .. women should be allowed to dress however they wish ... if the want to feel like showing off their sexy bodies ... awesome. There shouldn't be any problem with anyone appreciating them either.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Frankly, I've never understood the concept of cheer leading.  I've always felt it was insulting to women and I (and Mrs Dcat) were not pleased when our daughter was an active participant for several years.  Thank God it didn't carry over to high school. Instead, she continued with track and cross country from 9th-12th.   Cheerleading is just ridiculous and useless.  Still don't get why it is so important to the community.  It's degrading.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

What a beautiful, majestic animal; galloping powerfully, yet so gracefully. What I wouldn't give to ride that thing on the beach all day long. Afterwards we'd cool off together in the surf in the late afternoon, followed by laying lazily in the warm sand and watch the sunset while I brush that flowing mane and offer sugar cubes from my palm.

That horse is pretty cool, too.

You see the pace on that thing?

Frankly, I've never understood the concept of cheer leading.  I've always felt it was insulting to women and I (and Mrs Dcat) were not pleased when our daughter was an active participant for several years.  Thank God it didn't carry over to high school. Instead, she continued with track and cross country from 9th-12th.   Cheerleading is just ridiculous and useless.  Still don't get why it is so important to the community.  It's degrading.
Can understand that... but if a woman wants to be a cheerleader ... knowing full well what that means .. her choice .... no ?

I think it comes from tradition in the 30s/40s

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Can understand that... but if a woman wants to be a cheerleader ... knowing full well what that means .. her choice .... no ?

sure, but that's not even close to the reality of it.  Girls who grow up in communities like mine are subject to really heavy social pressure to become a cheerleader (instead of an athlete or some other interest).  They are not being influenced as adults, but as children, when they really can't make an informed choice.  By the time they reach adolescence, some have the wisdom to opt out while others don't.  How often do you see an adult woman, who was never a child/teenage cheerleader make a decision to venture into that employment opportunity?  Probably close to never.  The issue is the age in which the social pressure to cheerlead happens.

• Upvote 1

sure, but that's not even close to the reality of it.  Girls who grow up in communities like mine are subject to really heqvy social pressure to be a cheerleader (instead of an athlete or some other interest).  They are not being influenced as adults, but as children, when they really can't make an informed choice.  By the time they reach adolescence, some have the wisdom to opt out while others don't.  How often do you see an adult woman, who was never a child/teenage cheerleader make a decision to venture into that employment opportunity?  Probably close to never.  The issue is the age in which the social pressure to cheerlead happens.

Fully agree with your stance here.

Well .. anything or anybody influencing a child into doing anything is reprehensible in my book. One of the many reasons child beauty pageants should be outlawed... along with parent driven year round baseball leagues that instill fruitless Hope's of so many kids.

But it doesnt mean there isnt a place for the other scenario where the woman chooses this profession of their own volition.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Nothing virtuous or progressive going on here. Team lawyers and risk management dept. likely advised the owners that its becoming very probable that getting sued and losing to some fat ugly dude identifying as female because "they"  couldn't even get a tryout.

Sarcastic Emma Stone GIF

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Upvoted your post because it was considered and well written ... I'd buy it if NFL cheerleaders weren't decked out as sexy as ****.

It's not like they are competing in athletic cheering.... their purpose is to enhance a fun exciting environment.

Dont you think part of their purpose is to appear as beautiful eye candy ... I can provide more than a plethora of examples for you if needed.

The dance skills are the secondary purpose ... watch The Replacements for a comical but slightly accurate lampooning of NFL cheerleading.

It's really not an argument at all ... just stating my opinion that it's part of the concept... probably moreso than the idea that their purpose to provide aspiring cheerleaders role models because of their athletic prowess.

Maybe this repressed new world has moved on from the concept and if so fine ... it's sad... but I'm good with them retiring. Maybe sports illustrated should follow suit and kill their annual swimsuit edition.

Bottom line sex sells.

Of course that element still exists. That element is not a secret to the participants. Some of them do it for that specific reason. Maybe it makes them feel good or empowered. Maybe a couple of them are totally fine with selling sexiness for money. So what? That's their choice. And there are others that just know that it comes with the territory and instead focus on the art of it, because it is something they love. The cheerleaders have diverse reasons for doing it, just as the fans have diverse reasons for liking or disliking it. 

I made this point when I said this should only go away if the market demands it. But that's not what happened, clearly. There is a definite market for this at NFL games, as there is enough critical mass of fans that enjoy it, for a multitude of reasons, for it to exist in the first place. It went away simply because it's just easier than dealing with the handful of morons that can't control themselves enough to treat women with respect. That's a shame, and IMO an extremely wrong-headed approach to solving a problem. 

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's degrading... IN YOUR OPINION.

That's why.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Of course that element still exists. That element is not a secret to the participants. Some of them do it for that specific reason. Maybe it makes them feel good or empowered. Maybe a couple of them are totally fine with selling sexiness for money. So what? That's their choice. And there are others that just know that it comes with the territory and instead focus on the art of it, because it is something they love. The cheerleaders have diverse reasons for doing it, just as the fans have diverse reasons for liking or disliking it. 
I made this point when I said this should only go away if the market demands it. But that's not what happened, clearly. There is a definite market for this at NFL games, as there is enough critical mass of fans that enjoy it, for a multitude of reasons, for it to exist in the first place. It went away simply because it's just easier than dealing with the handful of morons that can't control themselves enough to treat women with respect. That's a shame, and IMO an extremely wrong-headed approach to solving a problem. 
Was with you till the end .. this went away because of the new sensitive world order foisturing their ideas onto the masses that these women are being demeaned.

They aren't... I don't think I have ever read a story that outlined what you eluded to at the end if your post.

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's degrading... IN YOUR OPINION.

That's why.

Absolutely my personal opinion.  If someone wants their daughter to be a cheerleader, well than that's their parenting choice. I just feel bad for the girl who didn't know any better.  To be objectified at such a young age is bad.  Again, IMO.  Which I stand by and always will.  I guess the best thing I can say about cheerleading, is that it yields nothing positive for its participants.  The negatives on the other hand abound and are obvious.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Absolutely my personal opinion.  If someone wants their daughter to be a cheerleader, well than that's their parenting choice. I just feel bad for the girl who didn't know any better.  To be objectified at such a young age is bad.  Again, IMO.  Which I stand by and always will.  I guess the best thing I can say about cheerleading, is that it yields nothing positive for its participants.  The negatives on the other hand abound and are obvious.

I don't know how you can say that it yields nothing positive for its participants. For many of them, there are. This is where you no longer are expressing opinion, you are just making an incorrect statement. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Upvoted your post because it was considered and well written ... I'd buy it if NFL cheerleaders weren't decked out as sexy as ****.

It's not like they are competing in athletic cheering.... their purpose is to enhance a fun exciting environment.

Dont you think part of their purpose is to appear as beautiful eye candy ... I can provide more than a plethora of examples for you if needed.

The dance skills are the secondary purpose ... watch The Replacements for a comical but slightly accurate lampooning of NFL cheerleading.

It's really not an argument at all ... just stating my opinion that it's part of the concept... probably moreso than the idea that their purpose to provide aspiring cheerleaders role models because of their athletic prowess.

Maybe this repressed new world has moved on from the concept and if so fine ... it's sad... but I'm good with them retiring. Maybe sports illustrated should follow suit and kill their annual swimsuit edition.
Bottom line sex sells.

I think the "sex sells" aspect of it is the primary reason it exists.  But these women are very good dancers and these are good career opportunities.  Besides, many women are in "sex sells" type careers.  Fashion, for example.  

I think the "sex sells" aspect of it is the primary reason it exists.  But these women are very good dancers and these are good career opportunities.  Besides, many women are in "sex sells" type careers.  Fashion, for example.  
I agree with this ....

I also agree that the early age objectification dcat was talking about is something to consider.

But I also think it's bit sad that playful sexuality has been demolished by agenda driven subcultures.

For example... My wife loved Gil Elvgren paintings and the idea of women feeling empowered because of their lure ... she also LOVED the Sean Connery towel slapping ass Bond. It's a bit naughty .. but in good fun.

Gil Elvgren ...

2daab41d4000715fbe7323b1e6a3685c.jpg2644b297c0cacc2763f717e72e6aff64.jpg

33 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I was going after a Mac Jones reference/joke, which--obviously--failed miserably.

No, no, I got that, but comparing the svelte, athletic stride of an adonis like Adam Driver to the Aunt Bernice "powerwalking to Sunday mass" gait of Mac Jones is... insufficient.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I don't know how you can say that it yields nothing positive for its participants. For many of them, there are. This is where you no longer are expressing opinion, you are just making an incorrect statement. 

The overall umbrella of the activity (some actually call it a sport) is objectification, IMO. Everything else is secondary and any thing you may think is positive that emanates from it probably could be achieved without the corresponding the gender driven objectification of young girls.  If you see some real positive there... i.e. winning a competition which could have been done in any number of non-objectification activity, then fine.  Send your daughters to cheerlead.  Your call. I sent mine with a forced smile on my face and I attended every game and then the dreadful travel team 12 hour meets as well. Did my role because she thought she wanted it.  For the few years she participated, my opinion on cheerleading solidified and became stronger based on what I saw.   Just glad she actually got the benefits of track and cross country to balance that out.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Great post.  Love it.  One of my very favorite viral videos of the past few years is the Cheer Dad guy who does his daughters routine in the stands are her High School games.  It's awesome.  Does his/her joy and passion for this just suddenly end?  Ofcourse not, I'm sure this father would be over the moon if his daughter made a professional team.

That is a great post and I love that the dad is into it, but that is not competitive cheer. 

My granddaughter has done cheer for years.  It is the skill of gymnastic floor exercise, combined with the twists and flips of high driving, all coordinated with a team of girls doing all this in sync.  Very serious, very difficult.  She and my daughter travel all over the country competing.  Very proud of her.  She works very hard at it.  She is an elite athlete.  (Good genes...lol)

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Fully agree with your stance here.

Well .. anything or anybody influencing a child into doing anything is reprehensible in my book. One of the many reasons child beauty pageants should be outlawed... along with parent driven year round baseball leagues that instill fruitless Hope's of so many kids.

But it doesnt mean there isnt a place for the other scenario where the woman chooses this profession of their own volition.

That’s why after watching Mulan the first time I pulled all three of daughters out of dance school and put them in martial arts. Being able to punch someone in the face if you have to is a life skill for a young lady, 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

No, no, I got that, but comparing the svelte, athletic stride of an adonis like Adam Driver to the Aunt Bernice "powerwalking to Sunday mass" gait of Mac Jones is... insufficient.

Again, my joke went nowhere as I was attempting to say the horse had the pace.  And linking Mac Jones.

A long time ago, I was schooled that one of the first rules of comedy is to never explain a joke.   Our posts are a great illustration of why.  lol

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The overall umbrella of the activity (some actually call it a sport) is objectification, IMO. Everything else is secondary and any thing you may think is positive that emanates from it probably could be achieved without the corresponding the gender driven objectification of young girls.  If you see some real positive there... i.e. winning a competition which could have been done in any number of non-objectification activity, then fine.  Send your daughters to cheerlead.  Your call. I sent mine with a forced smile on my face and I attended every game and then the dreadful travel team 12 hour meets as well. Did my role because she thought she wanted it.  For the few years she participated, my opinion on cheerleading solidified and became stronger based on what I saw.   Just glad she actually got the benefits of track and cross country to balance that out.   

For the record, I find cheerleading excruciatingly boring. The thing I love about it is the joy is brings to my daughter and the friends she's made there. It's the first activity we found that she gives her all. She told me two weeks ago that "Dad, I'm going to work my ass off because I want to be the best at this I possibly can be". I was so proud. 

Finding it boring, I choose to just ignore it when she's not involved. Who am I to have any opinion other than neutral? I do admire the women for the work they have put in, like any other person near the top of their profession. 

A quick stat for you: exactly zero women in the history of earth have ever needed a man to tell them which activities they participate in are "objectifying". If you find something too "sexualized", that's entirely your own issue. There are no victims here. They are adults.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

A quick stat for you: exactly zero women in the history of earth have ever needed a man to tell them which activities they participate in are "objectifying". If you find something too "sexualized", that's entirely your own issue. There are no victims here. They are adults.

women never "needed a man to tell them"   WTF are u talking about now?  When did that enter into the equation?   Talking about children.. pre adolescents..  a daughter might actually need an adult to tell them or guide them. 

So since you like to reply to every opinion, my opinion is that cheerleading is way more detrimental to young girls than helpful, if at all, which I doubt.  The sexual objectification that cheerleading is rooted in (i.e. Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders) is disgusting for women and for girls and for any boys that participate as well.  My daughter participated.  Saw this sht with my own eyes from parents, team players, coaches.  

No point in continuing.  You see benefits from cheerleading that outweigh the bad.  I'm definitely not there and never will be I'm sure.  Let it rest.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

women never "needed a man to tell them"   WTF are u talking about now?  When did that enter into the equation?   Talking about children.. pre adolescents..  a daughter might actually need an adult to tell them or guide them. 

So since you like to reply to every opinion, my opinion is that cheerleading is way more detrimental to young girls than helpful, if at all, which I doubt.  The sexual objectification that cheerleading is rooted in (i.e. Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders) is disgusting for women and for girls and for any boys that participate as well.  My daughter participated.  Saw this sht with my own eyes from parents, team players, coaches.  

No point in continuing.  You see benefits from cheerleading that outweigh the bad.  I'm definitely not there and never will be I'm sure.  Let it rest.

These “young girls” are fully grown adults who make a choice to go out for an NFL cheerleading squad. It’s their decision. Not yours or some other guy who thinks they’re being “objectified”

23 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

These “young girls” are fully grown adults who make a choice to go out for an NFL cheerleading squad. It’s their decision. Not yours or some other guy who thinks they’re being “objectified”

I'm talking about youth cheerleading, not the Jets flight crew or the decision to ground it.  My daughter was "a fully grown adult" at age 10?  Don't think so.  I'm making a decision for no one.  We didn't want her to cheerlead, but we smiled and said ok.   We let her make the decision.  We attended every cheerleading event my daughter was in.  That solidified my belief that cheerleading is pure objectification. I'm not talking about making decisions for anyone.  I'm talking about an opinion of cheerleading in general.  What we saw from parents, coaches, players regarding the cheer squads was not what we wanted for her.  Fortunately once she hit 13 she opted out on her own volition and continued with track and cross country.  Smart girl. 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm talking about youth cheerleading, not the Jets flight crew or the decision to ground it.  My daughter was "a fully grown adult" at age 10?  Don't think so.  I'm making a decision for no one.  We didn't want her to cheerlead, but we smiled and said ok.   We let her make the decision.  We attended every cheerleading event my daughter was in.  That solidified my belief that cheerleading is pure objectification. I'm not talking about making decisions for anyone.  I'm talking about an opinion of cheerleading in general.  What we saw from parents, coaches, players regarding the cheer squads was not what we wanted for her.  Fortunately once she hit 13 she opted out on her own volition and continued with track and cross country.  Smart girl. 

Ok that’s a different story. I thought you were talking about nfl cheerleaders. 

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok that’s a different story. I thought you were talking about nfl cheerleaders. 

I'd love to know how many of them would have never considered "professional" cheerleading as an adult if it hadn't been shoved down their throats as kids.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I'd love to know how many of them would have never considered "professional" cheerleading as an adult if it hadn't been shoved down their throats as kids.

I have nieces who love dancing and cheerleading. Don’t see anything wrong with it. To each their own

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

What's your opinion on the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets chant?

I like it alot.

Never said I was consistent, for the record.

Do you sit during the wave? 

Nope.  I join in.

lol

I'm glad I provided you with a laugh.

• Haha 1