Jets get rid of cheerleaders, no more Flight Crew

18 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Ah, come on.  No one is forcing those ladies to objectify themselves.  It’s actually a fierce competition to get chosen. 
This isn’t sexually abused strippers paying for their meth habit.

I agree Jimmy, two of my granddaughters  are into cheerleading and they work very hard and are truly amazing little athletes who can do backflips amazing acrobatic moves, and these are little girls who have a love and determination for an art form

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think you may have a very odd idea of what "fun" is if you think that.

But to each their own.  

It's a somewhat regular source of controversy for the NFL (look at the Dan Snyder situation, for example, and that isn't the only one).

And it serves no purpose IMO.   This is professional football, not pee wee league or a JV game.  It's entirely unnecessary to the product of an NFL game.

If folks are a big fan of women's dancing, go to a woman's dancing competition.  I'm here for football, not a sideshow.

I agree with your premise as I'm here for the football too, but to say it doesn't belong? Seems off.

This is the NFL. The games are just a backdrop for all the other nonsense. For a while now, the league has been hyper -focused on bringing the "casual fan" in and attracting more women to the audience. When they cancel halftime shows starring "The Weekend", Steven A & all the other loudmouth know-nothings, "alternate uniforms", etc. etc., then we can start talking about what "doesn't belong".

My daughter is into cheer. She loves it, and I'm thankful she has found a physical activity that teaches her about teamwork, taking care of your physical being, work ethic and competition. These women worked hard to get there and enjoy doing it, and there are fans to actually enjoy it legitimately.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

So if I'm following correctly; the NY Jets decision to get rid of cheerleaders is an indication that humans will be extinct in the next 10 years? 

I think it's the improving Jets roster.

I think how this ends is the Jets stay on track, keep getting better, eventually make it to the Super Bowl, then a comet hits the planet on that Super Bowl Saturday.

I mean, wouldn't that be the only way it could go down?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I think how this ends is the Jets stay on track, keep getting better, eventually make it to the Super Bowl, then a comet hits the planet on that Super Bowl Saturday.

Smart man right here

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

lol for sure

Something I've been doing over the past few years that I picked up from a few people, is just claiming all my team Champs and sticking my fingers in my ears and refusing to listen to anyone tell me different.  

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I agree with your premise as I'm here for the football too, but to say it doesn't belong? Seems off.

This is the NFL. The games are just a backdrop for all the other nonsense. For a while now, the league has been hyper -focused on bringing the "casual fan" in and attracting more women to the audience. When they cancel halftime shows starring "The Weekend", Steven A & all the other loudmouth know-nothings, "alternate uniforms", etc. etc., then we can start talking about what "doesn't belong".

1. One wrong (or several lol, i.e. the other marketing/fan engagement "nonsense") doesn't validate another.

2. We will each have our own opinions on what is or isn't appropriate in the realms of fan engagement (for example, I have no issue whatsoever with alternate uniforms/team gear).

3. It's factual to say that NFL teams have experienced controversy on several occasions due to sexual abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment and more regarding their cheerleaders.  While I personally would love to kick Dan Snyder out of the league for what he did, and force him to sell, it is unlikely to happen.  So from a business perspective, the next opinion is to eliminate the liability risk if team management and owners can't not be dicks.  Sad, but pragmatic.

4. I don't see team bands, fight songs, cheerleaders or the like as professional level needs.  That's minor league stuff.  Colleges, high schools, pee wee leagues.  One the huge stage of the NFL, the cheer team is lost (at best) or a distraction (like your other nonsense) at best.  I like the J..E..T..S...chant, but that's about as far as I go on this stuff.  I respect others may feel differently.

5. Lets be honest, most people want to keep it for outdated sexist T &A reasons.  Not the noble "give a women a job" or "showing little girls dancing is a career" reasons.  There are other avenues for T & A in 2022.

6. Equally, if you support women's dancing as a Sport, then make it it's own sport, separate from NFL Football.  No issue with that.

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

My daughter is into cheer. She loves it, and I'm thankful she has found a physical activity that teaches her about teamwork, taking care of your physical being, work ethic and competition. These women worked hard to get there and enjoy doing it, and there are fans to actually enjoy it legitimately.

I'm happy for you and your daughter.  I don't feel any other comment on this part would be appropriate.

Like I said above, I respect others may like it.  I don't, and I'm glad it's gone.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I've always been ambivalent about the whole cheerleader thing.  On one hand, it presents the gals as passive sexual receptacles and not much of anything else.  On the other hand, it does create jobs and opportunities for the performers.  A lot of them are also professional dances or involved in the performing arts.  Listing "NFL Cheerleader" on a resume probably helps open other doors for them.  The women very much want those jobs, so who am I to say it is a bad thing in general ???

Dunno... 

If the Jets brass decided to close it down, they should have at least announced it the season before it came to an end. 

Send out a letter to all... "After the conclusion of the 2022 season, the NJY will be disbanding the Flight Crew"

This

25 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Interesting thought here though.  My Daughter was into competitive cheer - she coaches the young kids now...

What if the Jets did something like - instead of just a good looking women in tight outfits jumping and yelling - what about brining in a true competitive cheer group...Can still be flight crew, can still be attractive woman, can still cheer - but if you tie it to the true skill-set of competitive cheer -- with the real talent and commitment that's required for that sport...I mean it's really fun to watch when done right.- and they can put on a legit show.   Just might make sense.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. One wrong (or several lol, i.e. the other marketing/fan engagement "nonsense") doesn't validate another.

2. We will each have our own opinions on what is or isn't appropriate in the realms of fan engagement (for example, I have no issue whatsoever with alternate uniforms/team gear).

3. It's factual to say that NFL teams have experienced controversy on several occasions due to sexual abuse, sexual assault, sexual harassment and more regarding their cheerleaders.  While I personally would love to kick Dan Snyder out of the league for what he did, and force him to sell, it is unlikely to happen.  So from a business perspective, the next opinion is to eliminate the liability risk if team management and owners can't not be dicks.  Sad, but pragmatic.

4. I don't see team bands, fight songs, cheerleaders or the like as professional level needs.  That's minor league stuff.  Colleges, high schools, pee wee leagues.  One the huge stage of the NFL, the cheer team is lost (at best) or a distraction (like your other nonsense) at best.  I like the J..E..T..S...chant, but that's about as far as I go on this stuff.  I respect others may feel differently.

5. Lets be honest, most people want to keep it for outdated sexist T &A reasons.  Not the noble "give a women a job" or "showing little girls dancing is a career" reasons.  There are other avenues for T & A in 2022.

6. Equally, if you support women's dancing as a Sport, then make it it's own sport, separate from NFL Football.  No issue with that.

I'm happy for you and your daughter.  I don't feel any other comment on this part would be appropriate.

Like I said above, I respect others may like it.  I don't, and I'm glad it's gone.  

You probably don't realize this but you're essentially telling women (adult women) what they should and should not do.  "Men only like cheerleaders for sexist T&A reasons".  You don't think women realize that men are attracted to them?  And  are you saying that only things that you think are "noble" are worthy of existing?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You probably don't realize this but you're essentially telling women (adult women) what they should and should not do.  "Men only like cheerleaders for sexist T&A reasons".  You don't think women realize that men are attracted to them?  And  are you saying that only things that you think are "noble" are worthy of existing?

You mean it is OK for men and women to be attracted to each other ??? 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You probably don't realize this but you're essentially telling women (adult women) what they should and should not do.

I don't think that's accurate assertion at all. 

I fully support women dancing as a profession, as a sport, or in any way they like.  I'll go you one further, I'm a support of legalization of prostitution, that is the level of support I have for the rights of individual women to make choices for themselves what to do with their bodies.

I just don't see it as a needed part of NFL football.

I also don't see Male Clowns as a needed part of NFL Football, but I don't see that as "telling men (adult men) what they should and should not do" either.

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"Men only like cheerleaders for sexist T&A reasons".  You don't think women realize that men are attracted to them?  And  are you saying that only things that you think are "noble" are worthy of existing?

This is just silly and not really worth a serious response.  Sorry.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I fully support women dancing as a profession, as a sport, or in any way they like.  I'll go you one further, I'm a support of legalization of prostitution, that is the level of support I have for the rights of individual women to make choices for themselves what to do with their bodies.

I also don't see Male Clowns as a needed part of NFL Football, but I don't see that as "telling men (adult men) what they should and should not do" either.

Awesome. Hunter/Garcia couldn't have said it any better. ? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good point, but clowns were never a part of football tradition.  Cheerleaders have been for a long time.  Not saying I'm all for cheerleaders in the NFL.  I'm ambivalent about it in general.  If the performers covet the jobs, my feeling is that I should stay out of their way.  Not just the performers themselves, either.  The NFL squads also employ people to oversee them.  I believe the Jets have/had Denise Garvey who was herself a former NFL cheerleader.  Ask her if she thinks they crew should be disbanded.  For me the deciding factor is money and opportunity.  If it adds jobs, keep it.  If I am at the game, I dont have to pay any attention to the cheerleaders.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I feel like your argument is that cheerleaders are unnecessary because men like them for "ignoble" reasons.  So even if men argue "you're taking away jobs", etc, that's not their true rationale.  But these are adult women who fully understand that men are attracted to them.  Any woman attractive enough to be a cheerleader has probably has dealt with men being attracted to them for years.  And even if you take away their cheerleading job, they'll still be dealing with it going forward.  I don't understand why people have to deny basic reality.

Yes, men like to look at cheerleaders in skimpy outfits.  Yes, women understand this.  And whatever a woman's reason (maybe she just loves to dance?  Sees cheerleader as a stepping stone?  Is hoping to marry a player?  Just wants to use her looks to get a job? etc) I don't see why it's not valid.

Btw, having a marching band is unnecessary for football too.  "People can just go to a concert!"  Having a halftime show is unnecessary too.  But ultimately sports are about entertainment.  

12 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I think you misinterpreted my thoughts ... I was commenting on a general move away from sexual activity.

FYI - There is some evidence to support this, but no causal factors have been reliably able to be identified.  Your news channels take this data, don't share the fact that many researchers hypothesize this may just be a blip, and tie it to their political political positions without any actual merit.  The most reliable data seems to be that sex is down because relationships are largely down.  Contrary to the "pussification of America/the American male" narrative, the more dramatic decline in sexuality is amongst women, and in general, the decline is non-existent in the educated.

There's also the issue of birthrates being down, and that, as far as I remember, was more reliably tied to possible political issues like the significant decreases in the affordability of having children.  For young people now vs. in previous generations.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Easy to say "start their own league" but we all know how that goes down. See: WNBA. No one shows. The NFL gives them a nice platform. Maybe it sparks one kid's interest who would otherwise had no exposure. And it costs nothing to the league, or the fans. No one makes you look. You can still just focus on football if that's what you want to do.

I wasn't a fan of the idea when it started. And frankly, I don't care that there are people out there that enjoy it for "creepy" reasons. If they want to go home and rub one out, whatever. As for the Snyders of the world, eliminating cheer is a form of punishment to the victims. Address the root cause. Harassment doesn't exist because cheerleading exists. It's because a-hole men exist. I'm on board for the very different discussion that is what Dan Synder got away with. Its simple to say, well, just limit the risk. No. Seek to eliminate it, so that people can dance in public if thats what they want to do. Practically speaking, less opportunity to expose the creeps of the NFL only serves to obscure their existence. Ferret them all out, and make them feel pain, publicly.

I just don't understand the "It doesn't appeal to me, so let's get rid of it" mentality that 90% of the world seems to be on board with these days. Cheerleading does you zero harm, but it does provide benefit to the people that willingly choose to participate in it. In fact, to do so, these women have to put in work while also dealing with not only the creeps, but also the men that dismiss and characterize their work as "merely T&A". Neither viewpoint is respectful. 

Personally, it was nice when I could pull my daughter in, who would otherwise have zero interest in a Jets game, because she really enjoyed watching their routines. Just seems like when stuff like this goes away, it should be because of market force, not because "dudes can't behave"

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

As for the Snyders of the world, eliminating cheer is a form of punishment to the victims. Address the root cause. Harassment doesn't exist because cheerleading exists. It's because a$$hole men exist. t is respectful. 

This is arguably the most important point of the thread.  

13 hours ago, GREAT WHITE HYPE said:

Over 96% of the adult population of Australia is fully vaccinated—more than 70% are boosted—and yet they just set a new record for COVID deaths.

?

Oh look the guy who got banned for calling our head coach a Saudi Terrorist has more thoughts to share!  Gather 'round, friends!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I feel like your argument is that cheerleaders are unnecessary because men like them for "ignoble" reasons.

My opinion is that cheerleaders are not needed nor desired for a professional level sports product.  

Same as Fight Songs.

Same as Team Marching Bands.

Same as Male Clowns.

Anything else is secondary or tertiary in terms of my personal opinion.  

21 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

They're just worried Zach was getting distracted scanning the sidelines during games. ?

The Flight Crew is not in Zach's MILF traget demo.

Now watch; idiot Woody will bring back the drum line or some other lame ass "Up with People" nonsense.

As it happens, a firiend of my niece was a FC member. While it didn't pay great, she had some fun and made connections.  Would rather have cheerleaders than not, but it is waht it is. Probably worried thiungs go sideways as is happening with the Redsk... Commanders.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My opinion is that cheerleaders are not needed nor desired for a professional level sports product.  

Same as Fight Songs.

Same as Team Marching Bands.

Same as Male Clowns.

Anything else is secondary or tertiary in terms of my personal opinion.  

Tailgating has nothing to do with the play on the field either.  But that's one of the biggest draws for many fans to go to the games.

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The Flight Crew is not in Zach's MILF traget demo.

Now watch; idiot Woody will bring back the drum line or some other lame ass "Up with People" nonsense.

As it happens, a firiend of my niece was a FC member. While it didn't pay great, she had some fun and made connections.  Would rather have cheerleaders than not, but it is waht it is. Probably worried thiungs go sideways as is happening with the Redsk... Commanders.

That's a big part of the problem today , everything has to be inclusive to everyone , whether they want it or not. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Long Thread

I gave your post a react_thanks.png because it was a good post.  Well said my friend, even if I might quibble some.

With that said, I started (and mostly finished, honestly) a rather long, detailed point by point reply......and I realized it just doesn't matter.  At all.  Not to me.  This is the very definition of "first world problems". 

Maybe getting an email while I was writing my post that a friend of mine just died of cancer may have reset my give-a-sh*t-o-meter some today....

If you're unhappy with this decision, I can respect that.

Personally, I don't care at all, in any meaningful way, about this one way or the other. 

I'm not a fan of cheerleading, and would personally prefer less schtick in my pro sports, but it doesn't make or break my NFL experience one way or the other.  I'm vaguely glad it's gone, but I wouldn't care much if/when it comes back.

Life is to short to waste it fighting about this.  So I'm out.

• Upvote 1

Not a big deal to me, but just dump the term "cheerleaders."  That seems more for high school and college with the chanting, tumbling and making human pyramids and all that stuff. 

Just call them a "dance team" and at least drop a bit of the hypocrisy...along with pom poms and whatever...

I am not losing any sleep over the elimination of our cheerleaders, but there are some dancers who will be. Their decision to wear tight fitting clothing and be objectified on the sidelines was solely their decision. Women have agency and get to decide if they want to dance for the enjoyment of men, and some women. The women's sexual revolution dictated that women can be sexual beings as much as, if not more than men. Cheerleading is a passion for some, a career for others, or a stepping-stone to bigger and greater things. Is this decision appealing to conservatives or liberal feminists? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I gave your post a react_thanks.png because it was a good post.  Well said my friend, even if I might quibble some.

With that said, I started (and mostly finished, honestly) a rather long, detailed point by point reply......and I realized it just doesn't matter.  At all.  Not to me.  This is the very definition of "first world problems". 

Maybe getting an email while I was writing my post that a friend of mine just died of cancer may have reset my give-a-sh*t-o-meter some today....

If you're unhappy with this decision, I can respect that.

Personally, I don't care at all, in any meaningful way, about this one way or the other. 

I'm not a fan of cheerleading, and would personally prefer less schtick in my pro sports, but it doesn't make or break my NFL experience one way or the other.  I'm vaguely glad it's gone, but I wouldn't care much if/when it comes back.

Life is to short to waste it fighting about this.  So I'm out.

Sorry for your loss, Brother.

15 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Not a big deal to me, but just dump the term "cheerleaders."  That seems more for high school and college with the chanting, tumbling and making human pyramids and all that stuff. 

Just call them a "dance team" and at least drop a bit of the hypocrisy...along with pom poms and whatever...

They refer to themselves as “cheerleaders” 

FF2D2348-8FDA-4B61-BB3C-FD680948D299.png