DR. BENNET OMALU TUA SHOULD QUIT FOOTBALL FOREVER

2 hours ago, slats said:

If Tua did have a brain injury on Sunday, and then took that hit on Thursday, it doesn’t really take a brain surgeon to come to the conclusion that his head might be pretty permanently ****ed up right now. 

I guess it possibly would though since a doctor cleared him on Sunday.

6 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

The real danger of these concussions are when you get multiple in a short span, which is what happened due to the Dolphins potential negligence. Tua should probably take 6-8 weeks off and let his brain recover 

He should at a minimum be IR’d for the year.  

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Was he qualified?

A doctor deemed qualified by both the NFL and the NFLPA to follow the minimalistic test results to return a star player to the game ASAP.

scape·goat             /ˈskāpˌɡōt/

a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

• Upvote 3

https://www.tmz.com/2022/10/04/dr-bennet-omalu-urging-tua-tagovailoa-quit-football-forever/?adid=social-twa
Famed neuropathologist Bennet Omalu -- the inspiration for the Will Smith "Concussion" movie -- tells TMZ Sports ... Tua Tagovailoa should never play another down in the NFL again after suffering a scary head injury last week.
"If you love your life," Omalu said in a message to the Miami star, "if you love your family, you love your kids -- if you have kids -- it's time to gallantly walk away. Go find something else to do."
Tagovailoa was injured in the second quarter of the Dolphins' loss to the Bengals last Thursday ... and Omalu, who discovered CTE, said from everything he saw on the game's broadcast, he believes the quarterback "suffered severe, long-term permanent brain damage" during the play.
Now, Omalu is pleading with the 24-year-old football player to hang up his cleats forever to avoid sustaining any further damage.
"Tua, my brother. I love you," Omalu said. "I love you as much as I love my son. Stop playing. Stop. Hang your helmet and gallantly walk away."
Tua was rushed to the hospital immediately following the hit, but he was discharged just hours later and flew back to Florida with the team on Thursday night.
On Friday, Tagovailoa told his fans he was "feeling much better" ... and was determined to get back out on the field as soon as possible.
Tua Tagovailoa Says He's 'Feeling Much Better' After Scary 'TNF' Head Injury
Omalu clearly believes that would be a mistake.
"He should stop," the doctor said. "Sometimes money is not more valuable than human life. $20 billion is not worth more than your brain."
The Dolphins play next on Sunday against the Jets in New York. Tagovailoa has already been ruled out of that game.

Is this the same internet doctor who said Zach was out for the season?

50 minutes ago, Irktusk1957 said:

A doctor deemed qualified by both the NFL and the NFLPA to follow the minimalistic test results to return a star player to the game ASAP.

scape·goat             /ˈskāpˌɡōt/

a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

Who’s at fault? The NFLPA?

1 hour ago, Jet Life said:

The real danger of these concussions are when you get multiple in a short span, which is what happened due to the Dolphins potential negligence. Tua should probably take 6-8 weeks off and let his brain recover 

IMO as a physician?

Tua should take, at a minimum, the rest of this season off and then re-assess how he's doing next year.  You are correct, stacking concussions is not good.

But while what we all saw from Tua after the hit, the decorticate posturing and all after being concussed was disturbing (especially if you've never seen it before), no one can say for certain that that physiological response to trauma is necessarily indicative or predictive of long term brain dysfunction.

Risk is an inherent factor in life....from motorcycle riders to MMA fighters/boxers to NFL/NHL athletes.  It should be Tua's decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s at fault? The NFLPA?

I don't think there is a blame, just the previously agreed upon parameters (between the NFL AND the NFLPA) to return a player to the field of play. They set a standard but now are going to revise the protocols...

This is America, there always has to be someone to blame, or sue.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

It should be Tua's decision.

And it WILL be Tua's decision.  Nobody is going to make him quit football.  It is literally impossible.

That said, if the neuropathologist who discovered CTE is suggesting I hang em' up, I might want to listen.  If I watch the hit I took and my body's reaction to said hit, after the week previous massive hit I took, I might want to listen.   

His contract was about $30 million guaranteed.  That's enough to live off of when you are 24 years old.  I am sure it is tough to walk away from something you love. But sometimes its better to walk away under your own power than be carried away in a pine box.

3 hours ago, static14 said:

An actual equivalent would be "Do you want to go skydiving with a chute that's failed to open twice, but we think it's fine now?" or "Wanna climb Everest with these ropes that have snapped twice this week?"

Yes, but when the possible reward is tens of millions of dollars that could potentially change the life of your family and future generations, it makes it a little bit more difficult. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And it WILL be Tua's decision.  Nobody is going to make him quit football.  It is literally impossible.

That said, if the neuropathologist who discovered CTE is suggesting I hang em' up, I might want to listen.  If I watch the hit I took and my body's reaction to said hit, after the week previous massive hit I took, I might want to listen.   

His contract was about $30 million guaranteed.  That's enough to live off of when you are 24 years old.  I am sure it is tough to walk away from something you love. But sometimes its better to walk away under your own power than be carried away in a pine box.

I will argue nothing in your post....other than to say that 'Nobody is going to make him quit football' may be incorrect.

The Dolphins are on the hook here...but if I'm an NFL owner going forward, with opinions like this MD's being proffered etc., there is NO WAY I would ever sign Tua after this present deal.

Whether the $30 million guaranteed is enough for him to live on as a 24 yo is not anyone's decision other than his.  But in this present environment, I doubt Tua's getting another deal in the NFL anyway...so maybe he should hang it up.

• Upvote 1