Expecting Fant & Mitchell Back vs. Pats

32EBoozer

Impressed how we excelled on PP and Run Blocking with the rash of OL injuries. Run it down the Pats throats! Hoping both will be in the OL rotation next week to keep everyone fresh!

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-jets/new-york-jets-injury-update-corey-davis-george-fant/amp/

Posted 2 weeks ago  

George Fant:

All of the reinforcements possible are needed on the Jets’ offensive line with the recent season-ending injury to Alijah Vera-Tucker.

Fant is able to come off of injured reserve this week after spending the last four weeks on it. However, according to Saleh, it does not seem too probable that will be the case at the moment. He did make it known that Fant was in the building yesterday, that they spoke, and that Fant feels great.

Saleh stated that it will likely once again be recently-signed Cedric Ogbuehi at right tackle for this week.

Along with Fant, rookie Max Mitchell is eligible to return next week. With a banged-up offensive line, the Jets have got to hope for continued progress from both players with potential imminent returns.

8 minutes ago, CSNY said:

After rushing for 175 yards last week against a real good Buffalo defensive line, Even if Fant and Mitchell were relatively healthy, after last weeks performance of the o line you have to keep it intact. As everyone knows Continuity is important for that unit

Agreed. Let Cedric start at RT & make Fant the Swing Tackle when giving Brown and C.O. a breather. 

• Upvote 1

No, absolutely not. This isn't  the DL. You don't  rotate OL. Fant and Mitchell, have a seat until someone can't play. Next season Fant is gone so no reason to play him unless needed. 
Was just gonna say this .. OL continuity rules the day

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No, absolutely not. This isn't  the DL. You don't  rotate OL. Fant and Mitchell, have a seat until someone can't play. Next season Fant is gone so no reason to play him unless needed. 

‘23 UFA OL McGovern, Ogbuehi, Herbig, Feeney & Remmers. 

Letting 37 year old Brown take a series off a game is good player management. Especially when being replaced by last years starting LT who played well. Brown signed through next season. No sense wearing him down during playoff push. I’d also like to see Mitchell get some PT before Herbig and Ogbuehi UFA decision. See what we have in him.

10 snaps/game off will not kill the cohesion of the OL especially when Fant is practicing all week  

9 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Letting 37 year old Brown take a series off a game is good player management. Especially when being replaced by last years starting LT who played well. Brown signed through next season. No sense wearing him down during playoff push. I’d also like to see Mitchell get some PT before Herbig and Ogbuehi UFA decision. See what we have in him.

10 snaps/game off will not kill the cohesion of the OL especially when Fant is practicing all week  

No, ut is not if the guy you put in there allows a blind side sack to the QB because he is coming in cold off the bench. WTF? OL is all about cohesive play. You don't  mess with that. 

Also, if you don't  remember, Fant was awful this season while playing. People were posting how smart JD was not extending him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

No, ut is not if the guy you put in there allows a blind side sack to the QB because he is coming in cold off the bench. WTF? OL is all about cohesive play. You don't  mess with that. 

Also, if you don't  remember, Fant was awful this season while playing. People were posting how smart JD was not extending him. 

I disagree with your assessment. We’ll see what Brown’s & Ogbuehi’s snap count will be like, now that Fant is available. Currently Brown has played 100% of all snaps since taking over. Cedric 100% these last two weeks. We’ll revisit after the Bye. 

* Edit* Fant will have practiced with the 1’s before giving others a few snaps off. 
You make it sound like Brown is being benched… I’m saying Keep Brown at around 90% snap count. 

Edited by 32EBoozer

20 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Agree with first paragraph but can see the logic to why giving Brown a series or two off as he deals with the shoulder injury  but I disagree with it 

Also it’s pretty obvious reason why Fant was so poor early in the season was he wasn’t healthy and barely able to play. He had a excellent season at LT last year and would like to bring him back but don’t think that’s going to happen given that Brown is there for next year 
Big George is not as bad as some people make him out to be he appears to be a team first guy as although he didn’t like being shuffled from one side to the other he didn’t complain about being switched and did his best on a knee that was clearly hampering him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I'd be shocked if they did this.

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

He’s a good blocking WR which will continue to help the running game 

I'll be interested to see how Mims is handled once Davis is ready to return.  His blocking vs. Buffalo was superb and he is showing some glimmers of "getting it" as a WR.  Even though he doesn't play specials, not sure they would return him to the inactive list on game day...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Usually I have an opinion on anything to do with the Jets, but I am torn as to what the common sense answer is on this.

For one, If Duane Brown feels strong throughout the game, and he doesn't feel he needs a blow, then there is no reason to give any reps to any player who would take his place.  I think that question needs to be answered by Duane Brown with the support of his coaches.  Brown may not want to come out of the game, and I would defer to Duane, especially if he is playing at a high level. 

• Upvote 1

Either Fant or Mitchell would make for excellent 6th OL who check in as “eligible receiver”, imagine if we can get either one to start blocking second level before we get called for that stupid ******* penalty again. 

Should also get both on the jugs for some Jumbo Elliot plays. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

So Fant buried on the bench unless Brown or Cedric get injured. Got it. 

I don't know what they think of Fant vs the other players. We know Brown is the Left Tackle. Maybe Fant or Mitchell grabs the right tackle spot.

Highly doubt they would rotate guys though, that isn't the norm. Continuity is important.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Usually I have an opinion on anything to do with the Jets, but I am torn as to what the common sense answer is on this.

For one, If Duane Brown feels strong throughout the game, and he doesn't feel he needs a blow, then there is no reason to give any reps to any player who would take his place.  I think that question needs to be answered by Duane Brown with the support of his coaches.  Brown may not want to come out of the game, and I would defer to Duane, especially if he is playing at a high level. 

That’s fair. Compared to other starting  LT in the league he is underpaid. Curious if he makes a little stink about that?

19 minutes ago, Alka said:

Seeing how Duane Brown is running downfield on running plays late in the game, I don't see him needing a rest.

• Upvote 2

I'd suspect we'll hear more about Fant, Mitchell and Davis once the team returns to practice next week.  

Brown is entrenched as our LT, which is bad news for Fant since Fant plays much better on the left side.  It will be interesting if the team messes with the OL and puts Fant at RT when he's healthy, or if they roll with what's been working.  Mitchell probably returns to a bench role- what the team envisioned for him before all the injuries.

Looking at 2023,  I'd think the plan is to roll with Brown at LT for another year, Mitchell at RT unless Becton finally.. (nah, it will be Mitchell)  AVT and Tomlinson at G, and I'd guess they bring back McGovern.  Wildcard is if they decide to cut Tomlinson ($8M cap savings but $8M dead money) and bring back Herbig, but I think Herbig is playing himself into a nice starters contract this offseason.  Plus Tomlinson is starting to play how the Jets expected he would. 

Too many lineman. What a good problem to have. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't know what they think of Fant vs the other players. We know Brown is the Left Tackle. Maybe Fant or Mitchell grabs the right tackle spot.

Highly doubt they would rotate guys though, that isn't the norm. Continuity is important.

I think the Jets will consider both the short term and long term answer on this.  For one, Fant's knee has been the problem, I believe.  Second, Fant will certainly be gone after this season.  Third, do the Jets lose anything by having Max play right tackle, as opposed to Fant?  If you remember, Fant was nothing special at right tackle, until they moved him to left tackle last year.  Max is here for years to come, and Fant is not.  Wouldn't it be better, if all things being equal, to put Max on the field, helping him grow and get experience for the future? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I disagree with your assessment. We’ll see what Brown’s & Ogbuehi’s snap count will be like, now that Fant is available. Currently Brown has played 100% of all snaps since taking over. Cedric 100% these last two weeks. We’ll revisit after the Bye. 

* Edit* Fant will have practiced with the 1’s before giving others a few snaps off. 
You make it sound like Brown is being benched… I’m saying Keep Brown at around 90% snap count. 

There is no reason to break up this OL. They are playing at a high level.  It is one of the best units on the team. You don't  mess with that. We are getting a rookie and Fant back. This isn't  like you lost Johnathan Ogden and he was coming back from injury. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no reason to break up this OL. They are playing at a high level.  It is one of the best units on the team. You don't  mess with that. We are getting a rookie and Fant back. This isn't  like you lost Johnathan Ogden and he was coming back from injury. 

I heard you the 1st time and disagree still. I would choose to give my 37 YO LT 10% fewer snaps to keep him fresh if I’m the coach. It’s not like your replacing him with a guy off the street. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Cam I ask you, what other team shuffles there OL from series to series? 

Jets run approximately 60-70 offensive plays/game. In a run heavy game plan that’s a lot of running around… especially on a 10-15 play drive for a 330 lb. 37 year old. Keep him fresh as we make a push for the P. O. 

Does 6-7 snaps/GM sound like shuffling? This isn’t hockey!

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/offensive-line-snap-counts