Carr……..no

SoJetsy

April 13, 2022.

Carr and the Raiders have agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension worth $121.5 million, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday. Carr's extension runs through the 2025 season and includes a no-trade clause, per Rapoport and Garafolo. The team later announced the extension.

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

Stafford and Carr are not in the same class.  Stafford put up good numbers on a perennially crappy team, Carr has shown flashes but has mainly looked mediocre and was brutal last night.    From a cost/benefit perspective I would just keep White.

He has over 200 tds and less than 100 picks in his career.. I really don’t get the carr hate. That would be the greatest player in jets history.

1 minute ago, usanyj said:

He has over 200 tds and less than 100 picks in his career.. I really don’t get the carr hate. That would be the greatest player in jets history.

We suffer a little from not-perfectism which is odd considering our history 

• Upvote 1

JD just had an all-time great draft and you guys want to dole out high picks for the 7th-highest paid QB in the league who, on a per-game basis, hasn’t been much better than Mike White this season.

No thanks.  I’d rather bring in Jimmy G than Carr if forced to choose between the 2.  He’s injury-prone, sure, but at least he wouldn’t cost us picks.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JD just had an all-time great draft and you guys want to dole out high picks for the 7th-highest paid QB in the league who, on a per-game basis, hasn’t been much better than Mike White this season.

No thanks.  I’d rather bring in Jimmy G than Carr if forced to choose between the 2.  He’s injury-prone, sure, but at least he wouldn’t cost us picks.  

Jimmy G and Mike White sounds like an epic Glass Joe combo.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

I think this team is screwed either way TBH

Finally someone who gets it.

Zach busting is a worst case scenario and now we are sifting through the QB Scrapyard or talking about drafting trash project QB's like Levis in the middle 1st...  thats if he falls past other QB desperate teams like the Panthers and Colts who will convince themselves although he played like poorly and his film is underwhelming he's "toolsy" and if the Bills could do it so can they.

I could get behind wasting a pick on Levis if we are talking about a third rounder but a 1st or second on that prospect is poor process imo.

If we want to draft a QB thats not going to work out just draft Hooker in the 3rd or 4th and "develop" him so he can bust for us in a couple years.

Enjoy the ride laugh when the wheels fall off like they did this year... 

The most likely scenario is we miss the playoffs next year and clean house. #Jetup

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rillo said:

Not sure what Carr has ever done. The love he gets on here is pretty absurd IMO. 

217 tds, 99 picks, 65% over his career, 3 pro bowls, 28 comebacks, 33 game winning drives.

again, this would be the greatest player in jets history if he had those stats here.

he took the raiders to the playoffs after his coach was fired and his teammate killed people.

he’s the next Matt stafford in many peoples opinion. Put him in a better situation and he could be the next guy who leads his team where they want to go.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, usanyj said:

217 tds, 99 picks, 65% over his career, 3 pro bowls, 28 comebacks, 33 game winning drives.

again, this would be the greatest player in jets history if he had those stats here.

he took the raiders to the playoffs after his coach was fired and his teammate killed people.

he’s the next Matt stafford in many peoples opinion. Put him in a better situation and he could be the next guy who leads his team where they want to go.

19th all-time on the consecutive start streak - active at 82 games. That's almost 5 full seasons without missing a start. Who was the last Jet QB to do that?

Give this man a defense in a qb friendly offense with weapons and watch the wins pile up.

• Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, PepPep said:

It drives me crazy when posters on here say that Carr would ‘probably’ be an upgrade over White and so is not really worth the money. What??  In what world are you living?

Bring in a legit vet QB (like Carr) and draft an OT in the first round. 

A very simple recipe for a Jets playoff game in 2023. Strongly agree!

21 hours ago, Green DNA said:

Stafford and Carr are not in the same class.  Stafford put up good numbers on a perennially crappy team, Carr has shown flashes but has mainly looked mediocre and was brutal last night.    From a cost/benefit perspective I would just keep White.

Could be. If White could stay on the field for 3 consecutive games more would be convinced. 

As things stand, starting QB White means the Jets starting QB for half the games or more will be the QB2. Plus we’ve all seen White look just as bad or worse. I’ve also seen a couple bad games from Carr, and thats with admittedly missing most of his starts. 

Yeah maybe the right move is White + Minshew. That’s occurred to plenty of us, too.

I don’t know every reason he looked so bad, but any Jets fan knows the other reasons for non-success on a given play when viewing the all-22 we’re not going to bother with for this game, and why he was trying to over-force it to Adams).

But he’s still an obvious overall upgrade over the past however-many Jets QBs when you further factor in availability. Is he an upgrade worth the $ he’s got coming to him? Probably not, but you only get to choose among available QBs, not choose between any of the unavailable better ones and him. Truth is we don’t yet know who’s available and what it’d take to get each.

19 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Finally someone who gets it.

Zach busting is a worst case scenario and now we are sifting through the QB Scrapyard or talking about drafting trash project QB's like Levis in the middle 1st...  thats if he falls past other QB desperate teams like the Panthers and Colts who will convince themselves although he played like poorly and his film is underwhelming he's "toolsy" and if the Bills could do it so can they.

I could get behind wasting a pick on Levis if we are talking about a third rounder but a 1st or second on that prospect is poor process imo.

If we want to draft a QB thats not going to work out just draft Hooker in the 3rd or 4th and "develop" him so he can bust for us in a couple years.

Enjoy the ride laugh when the wheels fall off like they did this year... 

The most likely scenario is we miss the playoffs next year and clean house. #Jetup

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Green DNA said:

Carr has a slightly better career QB rating than Stafford who spent the first 7 years of his career throwing to megatron. Probably not in the same class though.

Stafford QB Rating w/Lions: 89.9

Stafford Career QB Rating: 90.9

Carr Career QB Rating: 91.8

I found this animated gif of Mike White

1*DaZYY36akz2N5m9XMWPeVQ.gif

I really think Jet fans have lost the ability to judge QBs based on the crap we have had at the position for 50 years.  We need to be looking for a guy in FA that can be a caretake for the position until we find our version of Mahomes or Allen.  I don't see us getting that long term franchise QB this offseason, but give me a MInshew or White type who can man the position competently and win games for us while we continue to search for the next Namath.

I would be fine with White as the guy, except his injury history scares me.  That is why I would prefer mInshew.  Neither guy is likely to be the long term answer, but at least they can play the position competently, which we have seen very little of over the last several decades -- couple of stretches here and there, but no sustained competent QB play since the 60s.

NIether Minshew or White are going to command $30M+ salary, so we still can spend elsewhere on the roster.  And neither guy precludes us from drafting a kid who would not have the pressure to play so quickly.

I just want competence at this point, at least as a bridge to something more sustainable.

23 hours ago, derp said:

Foles won with a roster that was built around a QB on a rookie deal, which I’d guess is why you didn’t dig into him too much. Roster construction wise he’s more an argument for draft another QB, have a veteran backup, spend everywhere else while you’ve got young premium position guys on rookie deals than anything else IMO.

I think Stafford and Carr are and were very different levels of talent personally. The Lions very clearly failed to build around Stafford for a long time but he consistently put up big numbers. Carr seems to be on the decline and has always been extraordinarily streaky. I suppose he could get hot in the playoffs one year but I wouldn’t pay him $40M to figure that out.

I guess a different comparison - the Rams roster Stafford went to was dramatically better than the Lions roster he left. I’m not sure the Jets’ roster is dramatically better than the Raiders’ roster - before they gut it or move cap space around to afford him. The Rams also got Stafford because they identified not being able to push the ball down the field as a limiting factor for a roster that was already in place. Not sure the Jets have a need that specific, it’s more just competence and they’ve seemingly found that in stretches with White.

To me it makes more sense to chase affordable competence in the White/Minshew/mid round pick/first rounder who can actually play if you love him but I doubt that’s on the table way, continue to build out the roster, and when there’s a good infrastructure in place and you figure out where the QB with mediocre tools limits you then make the all in move with a specific plan and skill set in mind.

That’s what worked for the Rams with Stafford, that process is how the Eagles fell into Hurts, frankly it’s what worked for KC with Mahomes, it’s what SF is trying to do with Lance, a version of that is what Tampa and Denver did with Brady and Manning respectively (and where Denver missed with Wilson - Rodgers is closer to this than any of the other veterans but comes with risk as we saw with Wilson), and it’s probably what Miami will do once they inevitably realize they need to dump Tua. Just strikes me as more calculated and sustainable than the throw any QB at the wall and see what sticks that they’ve been doing for the last decade plus.

You’d be wrong as to my motivation. I went into Stafford more because he was a QB1 starter even before that SB season with the Rams, where Foles was a backup who’d flamed out in both Philadephia and then (coincidentally) with the Rams after that.

The Jets roster is dramatically better than the Lions roster that Stafford left, and yes with the Raiders roster this year. They don’t need to gut much, tbh. The only one a few will cry over, whom I see as very expendable, is CJM. Cutting Lawson is easy, and - given how unreliable he’s been - so is Davis at his upcoming $.

Look at it this way: Carr is due $33MM next year. Cutting Lawson + Davis drops that net to $7.5MM. It gets reduced to a negligible amount if you further add Berrios and his $5.5MM salary to the cutting block with them. Even less if they can find a trade partner for ZW, which they probably can, so long as the other teams’ GMs aren’t disgruntled Jets fans themselves lol.

As I said above, I’m  out here suggesting Carr is the answer to getting a ring here, but there’s the ability to add him as a starting QB vs. 3 nonessential 2022 veterans.

22 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Carr gets rattled to easy when hit, he won’t run 2 yds for a first for fear of getting hit . Carr has Devante who has now become invisible with him at QB. I don’t see killer instinct in “Football Jesus” Derek Carr.

With 2 games left, Adams has 1300 yards and is leading the NFL in receiving TDs.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I think McDaniels broke Carr.  Was never great to begin with.  Yes he’d absolutely be an upgrade over Wilson and probably white but will want a big contract. I would rather resign White and draft another qb first or second rd

McDaniles is a walking personality disorder, but Carr would also leave money on the table when he was being coached by Chucky.  I recall seeing him miss targets in multiple games at very critical times.  Obviously, he'd be a big upgrade over what the Jets have now but would it be the best option vs. another FA like Garoppolo ??? They could also draft another QB and have a less expensive marginal vet to run the team while they coach the newly drafted QB.   If the Jets cant or don't want to make a  deal to move up, I would consider drafting Tanner McKee.  Lots of tools there, but will need some coaching before he is field ready.  Just an idea...

Any way you slice it, the Jets are a very young and talented team that needs a QB.  And in this day and age, the QB is everything.  No QB.  No team.   

The Carr option provides a proven starting level quarterback.  But consider the full cost… we would likely need to trade a current starter with high level picks and put a giant contract on our books.  Would you be willing to loose the ability to extend Q, give up DJ Reed, and premium picks that would sure up the offensive line for instance?

Mike White + an experienced backup + a prospect is the answer  

• Post of the Week 1

23 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Carr gets rattled to easy when hit, he won’t run 2 yds for a first for fear of getting hit . Carr has Devante who has now become invisible with him at QB. I don’t see killer instinct in “Football Jesus” Derek Carr.

Davonte Adams is at 1300 yards and is averaging more yards per reception than in any time in his career.  He’s also going to finish with his best or second best TD totals for a season. 
So what else do you have as proof?

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’d be wrong as to my motivation. I went into Stafford more because he was a QB1 starter even before that SB season with the Rams, where Foles was a backup who’d flamed out in both Philadephia and then (coincidentally) with the Rams after that.

The Jets roster is dramatically better than the Lions roster that Stafford left, and yes with the Raiders roster this year. They don’t need to gut much, tbh. The only one a few will cry over, whom I see as very expendable, is CJM. Cutting Lawson is easy, and - given how unreliable he’s been - so is Davis at his upcoming $.

Look at it this way: Carr is due $33MM next year. Cutting Lawson + Davis drops that net to $7.5MM. It gets reduced to a negligible amount if you further add Berrios and his $5.5MM salary to the cutting block with them. Even less if they can find a trade partner for ZW, which they probably can, so long as the other teams’ GMs aren’t disgruntled Jets fans themselves lol.

As I said above, I’m  out here suggesting Carr is the answer to getting a ring here, but there’s the ability to add him as a starting QB vs. 3 nonessential 2022 veterans.

The Rams’ roster was substantially better than the Lions’ roster, and the Raiders’ roster isn’t dramatically worse than the Jets’ roster. Those are the comparisons that matter, not the current Jets versus the Stafford Lions. If anything old versus new matters it’s those Rams and these Jets and the Rams were a lot better. And I still think Stafford was way better than Carr.

Any gutting is going to limit their ability to do important stuff like have a starting center and right tackle, add a starter or have continuity at linebacker or safety. 

I guess I’m kind of with you at the end, I don’t think Carr is getting you a Super Bowl and I think that’s the goal. Pretty much full stop there. Especially if you’re paying north of $30M and/or giving up draft capital. And by making the Stafford comparison I thought that was where you were going.

What I could see before chasing a Super Bowl, though I’d rather chase a Super Bowl, is having a boring vanilla guy who allows you to build an offense but eventually limits you in a way where you’re able to say well this is why defenses can stop us in big games so here’s what we need to do to take that next step. Carr is really inconsistent, runs hot and cold, and is turnover prone - so kind of like where the Jets are now I think all you learn is that you need a better, more consistent QB. He’s just a dramatically more functional and expensive version of similar problems.

I guess they could do it if they want to be a playoff team but I think it’s important to have larger goals.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Davonte Adams is at 1300 yards and is averaging more yards per reception than in any time in his career.  He’s also going to finish with his best or second best TD totals for a season. 
So what else do you have as proof?

Nothing, carr would be the best qb we’ve had suit up since favre. Carr, with a top defense and solid weapons like gw in a qb friendly system would thrive. 
people on here have a weird way of judging qbs who are head and shoulders better than the garbage we’ve seen for decades. They scoff at talent like they think we are better than what Derek carr would put out. It’s ridiculous!

• Upvote 3

On 12/25/2022 at 10:29 AM, SoJetsy said:

Some of you guys want Derek Carr, the games I watched him play he is never gonna be a SB winning QB.

You are correct. 

We don't need a "Super Bowl winner" in the short term though. We need baseline competence to become a respectable playoff team. Carr gives us that and that's why he'll be attractive to this admin. With Carr we're in the playoffs in 2023.

3 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Nothing, carr would be the best qb we’ve had suit up since favre. Carr, with a top defense and solid weapons like gw in a qb friendly system would thrive. 
people on here have a weird way of judging qbs who are head and shoulders better than the garbage we’ve seen for decades. They scoff at talent like they think we are better than what Derek carr would put out. It’s ridiculous!

Correct.

It's probably true that Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins will never win a Super Bowl.

It is definitely true either one would be the best QB this team has had in 25+ years.