General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Doesn’t look like we have a 2023 broad “post whatever” thread for this and that. 

The Kincaid train is already trending toward hypersonic. Long gone is the dream 3rd rnd steal. 

If it is such a top heavy TE class, I'd like to see the Jets grab one in the second or third round. CJ and Conklin are JAGS. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm off the TE train this year... I like conklin and think he's a good pro, we'll see if CJ sticks on the roster and I still believe in Ruckert playing a large role on the team.  TE is off my mind for now. 

Agreed.  I want to give Ruckert all of 2023 before deciding if this is a real need or not.  I can see Ruckert panning out and us still wanting to add another TE regardless(we can cut both Uzomah and Conklin next year with little penalty), but next year's draft looks just as impressive if not moreso as far as TE goes.  I'm fine with waiting and addressing other needs right now.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Agreed.  I want to give Ruckert all of 2023 before deciding if this is a real need or not.  I can see Ruckert panning out and us still wanting to add another TE regardless(we can cut both Uzomah and Conklin next year with little penalty), but next year's draft looks just as impressive if not moreso as far as TE goes.  I'm fine with waiting and addressing other needs right now.  

agreed.  I think this is actually a good group just not utilized the way we expected early on by lafleur.  Conklin actually is a really good receiving TE and someone that when featured will do really well.  A lot of us here were high on Ruckert this year but he couldnt get out of the proverbial "dog house" this year.  I dont know for sure but I have my suspicions Ruckert was not as adept a blocker yet and Lafleur opted to hold him out like he did many other players that werent "complete". 

I think this year we see an increase in usage and some nice production.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm off the TE train this year... I like conklin and think he's a good pro, we'll see if CJ sticks on the roster and I still believe in Ruckert playing a large role on the team.  TE is off my mind for now. 

Yea, I will be shocked if they draft a TE, anywhere. 

I think the concerns/narrative on Ruckert are inflated beyond reason. Who thought he was going to see the field this year? He was the definition of investing in the future. Great piece of clay to mold. Put some good tape out there in week 18. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yea, I will shocked if they draft a TE, anywhere. 

I think the concerns/narrative on Ruckert are inflated beyond reason. Who thought he was going to see the field this year? He was the definition of investing in the future. Great piece of clay to mold. Put some good tape out there in week 18. 

Ruckert to me has always had a dalton shultz trajectory.  He came into his own this year in a big way, but to me their game seems so similar.  best case scenario obviously

• Upvote 2

Yea, I will shocked if they draft a TE, anywhere. 

The blocking was impeccable. I have to admit, in college I thought he was more just a willing blocker than polish, but he showed out. It was exciting stuff.

In general, I hope Hackett goes back to some of the roots of the system with 12 personnel and with play action as a staple. It feels like LaFleur had to adapt the system because Zach is bad QB who had to play so much from shotgun in spread and White is not great at challenging with deep shots.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The blocking was impeccable. I have to admit, in college I thought he was more just a willing blocker than polish, but he showed out. It was exciting stuff.

In general, I hope Hackett goes back to some of the roots of the system with 12 personnel and with play action as a staple. It feels like LaFleur had to adapt the system because Zach is bad QB who had to play so much from shotgun in spread and White is not great at challenging with deep shots.

dude, are you rocking a Mizzou Smith shot?? How did I sleep on that... Despite a closet full of Jerseys, I have somehow not purchased anything NCAA... but i decided a decade ago, my first college jersey would be #16 at Missouri 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

dude, are you rocking a Mizzou Smith shot?? How did I sleep on that... Despite a closet full of Jerseys, I have somehow not purchased anything NCAA... but i decided a decade ago, my first college jersey would be #16 at Missouri 

Yep. A big part of resparking my interest in the Jets was the Brick, Mangold, Leon, Brad Smith draft. Was a fan of the 90s teams, but didn't get super into football until around then.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

As of the end of January:

• Rnd 1 WRs... ehh, not sure how much I love them
  • Day 2 WRs.... Jack Nicholson "Yess" Gif. 
  • Day 3 WRs... Not holding my breath.

One late round guy I do like is Justin Marshall from Buffalo. Solid year after transferring, strong in redzone, makes big plays. Turns 24 in July, so unlikely to be taken before rnd 5-6; more likely later/UDFA - but worth following. Be a good priority UDFA

• Upvote 1

As of the end of January:

• Rnd 1 WRs... ehh, not sure how much I love them
  • Day 2 WRs.... Jack Nicholson "Yess" Gif. 
  • Day 3 WRs... Not holding my breath.

One late round guy I do like is Justin Marshall from Buffalo. Solid year after transferring, strong in redzone, makes big plays. Turns 24 in July, so unlikely to be taken before rnd 5-6; more likely later/UDFA - but worth following. Be a good priority UDFA

I'm right there with you, I think the day 2 Wrs are where the value might be in this draft. 

• Upvote 3

I'll be honest, not offend our Georgia supporters out there but I do not see Darnell Washington as a high pick at all.  Will he be a terrific for a run heavy team?  Sure but his receiving skills and agility did not wow me at all.   (Unlike Jelani Woods who did impress me as a receiver for a big guy.)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll be honest, not offend our Georgia supporters out there but I do not see Darnell Washington as a high pick at all.  Will he be a terrific for a run heavy team?  Sure but his receiving skills and agility did not wow me at all.   (Unlike Jelani Woods who did impress me as a receiver for a big guy.

He looks like he can hang around in the NFL as a journey blocker/situational threat, but at most amounting to 23/250/4 type seasons. 

• Upvote 1

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh

Dawand Jones measured in a wingspan of 89.5 inches at the Senior Bowl today. That is the typical wingspan of someone that is 7’5” That is the longest a player has ever measured in at in Senior Bowl HISTORY. The Ohio State tackle is HUGE

• Sympathy 1

I didn’t a chance to pay the Shrine Game much attention, but fck I guess I REALLY slept through it.. AT Perry was there?? Wtf, 

I’d take him over every WR at the senior bowl. Including Wicks I think. He’s exactly what we need outside 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You and I are still suckers for these tall prototypical X guys.   I watched Perry a bit at Wake, he could be a good move the chain and red zone target.   I forget what site it was but  I read some one gave him a Hakeem Butler comp…Lol.   

Watching the championship game, I was reminded about how high you and @Paradis were on Tee Higgins. He's been very good so far. 

8 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You and I are still suckers for these tall prototypical X guys.   I watched Perry a bit at Wake, he could be a good move the chain and red zone target.   I forget what site it was but  I read some one gave him a Hakeem Butler comp…Lol.   

Lol Hakeem Butler, probably one of my biggest misses ever scouting.  I gave him a Brandon Marshall comp lol.   I think that was the last receiver I decided to scout without All-22.  His highlight tape was called the Lebron of football or something.  When he ran a 4.4 forty, I thought for sure he was going to be a monster.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Lol Hakeem Butler, probably one of my biggest misses ever scouting.  I gave him a Brandon Marshall comp lol.   I think that was the last receiver I decided to scout without All-22.  His highlight tape was called the Lebron of football or something.  When he ran a 4.4 forty, I thought for sure he was going to be a monster.  

Lol….you and me both.   I still don’t know what actually happened to him though.  It’s like he fell off of the face of the earth.  I’m surprised he flamed out as bad as he did.   

14 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Butler! Yikes... I don't know about that.. Butler looked stiff and mostly relied on mismatches/busted coverages up the middle (from what i recall)... I do think they moved Perry around, but if he's unrefined if anything, not stiff and one-dimensional (imo anyway)

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

He and Kelvin Harmon that year got wild hype despite concerns. I'm not perfect, but i saw that one coming. I also thought Corey Coleman was going to light the league on fire. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol….you and me both.   I still don’t know what actually happened to him though.  It’s like he fell off of the face of the earth.  I’m surprised he flamed out as bad as he did.   

the artist formally known as Hakeem Butler was last spotted trying out for PHI as a Tight End if I recall correctly.. they seem to make a happen out of trying failed prospects out at TE

On 1/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, sec101row23 said:

I remember watching him, and thinking that all he really needs to do is prove his speed.  I was worried he was going to be like a Treadwell type WR who just outmuscles college guys, and then can't separate at the NFL.  But then he ran that 4.4 forty and I was like nope, here's your gem.  Did a whole article with the highlight film, combine number breakdowns and all pointing towards Marshall.  Thankfully I didn't renew that domain lol.  Although it sucks because I was right on a bunch of guys, and that's not available either lol. 

Lol, he didn't even like go down gradually, pretty much right away there were chirps that he just flat out sucked.  I remember reading something like they were happy he got hurt in the pre-season because they were seriously thinking of just cutting him.  For someone that physically gifted, it's strange that he just completely fell off.  Speculating, but I'm guessing something off the field, because Waller kinda had a similar path where he just sucked, and then it was revealed about his alcoholism and all.  Butler just flat out sucked.  In retrospect, I think one thing I learned was looking at route stems more carefully instead of just straight line speed.  But that was embarrassing.  Usually pretty good with WR prospects but man that was way off.  

On 1/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, Paradis said:

Butler! Yikes... I don't know about that.. Butler looked stiff and mostly relied on mismatches/busted coverages up the middle (from what i recall)... I do think they moved Perry around, but if he's unrefined if anything, not stiff and one-dimensional (imo anyway)

Butler kinda seemed like that unicorn guy, the type they make those "if Lebron ever played football" types.  Then he just flat out sucked.  

I haven't really gotten into Perry or any scouting really, because I like to see where the draft picks end up being before doing research.  Don't want to spend like 20 hours breaking down film, only for us to not have any shot.  One thing I did notice from Rodgers over the years is his love for back shoulder throws, so if we trade for him, I'd think we take a shot at someone with size.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm going to keep saying it till theres some respect for this man 

HUNTER LUEPKE!

Do you think he's getting drafted? A division 2 fullback seems likely to be available as a FA (I'm not commenting on him as a prospect as I haven't watched him).