General Draft/Prospect news

Paradis

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yes, i understand.  But say the OL at 15 the jets would want are gone.  Is there a DL at 15 at any position they’d consider or would DL only be considered after a trade back?  And would someone like Harrison be a target if they traded back tonight?

I would say Nolan Smith or Will McDonald as the sleeper. They really like both Calijah Kancey and BJ Ojulari but 15 would be early for them. I know there was a lot of love for Keion White at the Senior Bowl but not much since. I have not heard anything with LVN or Murphy other than seeing Schrager's mock today 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

I would say Nolan Smith or Will McDonald as the sleeper. They really like both Calijah Kancey and BJ Ojulari but 15 would be early for them. I know there was a lot of love for Keion White at the Senior Bowl but not much since. I have not heard anything with LVN or Murphy other than seeing Schrager's mock today 

Given kancey’s athletic profile he seems a perfect douglas target in the 20s.

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

A great and respected poster from Edmonton will not be very happy with that. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

Here is my attempt at a mock Using the players available at the Jets' respective picks, this is who I'm guessing they take https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-pff-analysts-seven-rounds-four-qbs

1.15 This is a great scenario because my 3 favorite tackle prospects are available. I'm taking Paris Johnson. 

2.43 Another dream scenario, but I think the Jets will prefer the better athlete in Tippman. 

4.112 Demarvion Overshown. Good athlete at a position of need

5. Yaya Diaby. Another athletic edge

I would sign up for this in a minute.  Even if you forfeited our 2nd 5th rounder (170).

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder if they’d think they could take Smith, play him at Kwon’s spot while he learns under Mosely, and then he takes over at MLB next year and becomes Saleh’s Fred Warner. It seems crazy for any team to try and run him out there as a full time ~240 lb EDGE where he’d get smushed.

Bingo!

15 hours ago, football guy said:

The scenario as Breer played out won’t happen. What will happen is that one—if not multiple—of the top OL will be there and the Jets will take them. They have scenarios laid out for all of them. In the unlikely event they’re all gone, JSN is probably a 1% chance, and quite frankly I think the Jets want it out there that they’re considering him.  No one I’ve spoken to has given it legitimate legs and unless told otherwise between now and 8pm tomorrow I’m sticking to that. 

As much as Rodgers is here and you figure they will add to the offense no matter what, keep in mind what he’s saying. He’s alluded to how this is a ready team and all the pieces are there. He understands the importance of defense (see him recruiting defensive players). Does he want weapons? Sure. But he’s not going to throw a fit if they took a DE over a WR who could very well be 5th/6th string in year 1.

Fair enough but I still see WR/receiving corps as a much higher need than you do. Our WR corps as it is today is essentially Garret Wilson, a very unreliable lower end 2 in Davis who won't be here next year, a average 2/3 in Lazard, a JAD to be determined in Mims, and a gadget guy in Hardman that did not emerge as a receiver under Mahomes as QB...Wilson gets injured we have a bottom 10 receiving corps in the NFL and then basically nothing past Wilson and Lazard in 2024. Then throw in the fact that Uzomah and Conklin are both lame ducks and we are really playmaker deprived in 2024...and from the contract it would seem Rodgers is here for 2 years minimum. I still personally maintain that they need a WR (or maybe a Top Tier TE from this draft)  way more than another first round OL. I just do not see that really moving the needle for what we need to accomplish in the 2 year Rodgers window.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fair enough but I still see WR/receiving corps as a much higher need than you do. Our WR corps as it is today is essentially Garret Wilson, a very unreliable lower end 2 in Davis who won't be here next year, a average 2/3 in Lazard, a JAD to be determined in Mims, and a gadget guy in Hardman that did not emerge as a receiver under Mahomes as QB...Wilson gets injured we have a bottom 10 receiving corps in the NFL and then basically nothing past Wilson and Lazard in 2024. Then throw in the fact that Uzomah and Conklin are both lame ducks and we are really playmaker deprived in 2024...and from the contract it would seem Rodgers is here for 2 years minimum. I still personally maintain that they need a WR (or maybe a Top Tier TE from this draft)  way more than another first round OL. I just do not see that really moving the needle for what we need to accomplish in the 2 year Rodgers window.

I think they’re both very important - offensive line depth is a concern and if Rodgers is here next year they’ll need a starting LT just like they’ll need a third starting receiver.

Everyone seems to be locked into what they think the most important need is. I think it’s most important to be confident you’re getting a good player. If they feel better about the tackle, take the tackle. If it’s the receiver, take the receiver. This is an important pick. They really need to hit on it.

Character stuff that’s public makes me think it’s the receiver, but we obviously aren’t privy to everything. And we don’t know who will be there, especially after the move down to #15.

I really dont get all this love for Bijan Robinson.  I mean dont get me wrong would love for him to be a Jet but how is he considered top 10 while Breece Hall was 2nd round

They same age

pretty much same size

Breece faster

Breece story book college career 24 consecutive games unreal

did anyone watch Robinson vs Bama?  he looked pedestrian to me - I mean Bam could have done what he did in that game.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, football guy said:

Hate that it came to this but Jets stuck to their board

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, football guy said:

Good call

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Hate that it came to this but Jets stuck to their board

Ok. What do you think tonight?

Highest OT or C on their board?

I can see a trade down from 43 to try and get a 3rd. Or perhaps they package their 5th with a player or ‘24 pick and try to get a 3rd. 

I then see them getting an OT & C. Do they like Wypler? 

29 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I just ran a mock simulator and I had MIchael Mayer, John Michael Schmitz and Jalin Hyatt available at 43 for the Jets. Who would you pick? I legitimately can't decide (I'm also hung over). 

Mayer for me. A complete TE who will start in the NFL for a decade.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, football guy said:

Ring Ring Yes GIF by Great Big Story

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ok. What do you think tonight?

Highest OT or C on their board?

I can see a trade down from 43 to try and get a 3rd. Or perhaps they package their 5th with a player or ‘24 pick and try to get a 3rd. 

I then see them getting an OT & C. Do they like Wypler? 

So the way Joe kind of drafts is the first round is more about drafting assets at priority positions. He likes to nab the building blocks in round 1. 

Rounds 2-5 are more focused on filling needs at the less premium positions, finding cultural fits, role players, and developmental talent. I don't think they're going to abandon their board to go get an OT just because they didn't in round 1 (see how things unfolded last year). Instead, I think they're going to target players who they think could contribute right away but also provide long-term upside. If its at a premium position all the better. 

I know the team is high on Cody Mauch. I believe there's a strong chance he's selected. When I spoke to a Jets source early in the process, they kind of laid out how they viewed some of the top guys. Peter Skoronski had a Egerton Jenkins comp as a guy who can play all 5 positions, but would get a fair crack at tackle. Cody Mauch is the 2nd round version of Skoronski in the sense that he's a LT with position versatility, elite athleticism, high character marks, and has a nasty aspect to his game, but has less than ideal arm length. If you were prepared to take Skoronski in round 1 and had a role planned out for him, why wouldn't the same be the case for Mauch who they also like a lot? Worst case scenario you slide him into G or C and still achieve your goal of adding a versatile asset to the line that kind of embodies the identity/culture they're looking to establish, and given how CMG is back you can afford to give Mauch some time to adjust. It all makes sense, but I just don't know where exactly they have him. Is he player 40? Is he player 50? 

A lot of the same things can be said about Joe Tippmann. I'm just guessing but I would think they have him rated higher than Mauch? Idk. I think JMS is certainly an option. Trading down as well but I don't think they will if a guy they want is there. 

Don't know that they love Wypler. He's more of a 4th-5th round development guy, kind of like Nick Harris was - high upside but center-only player who lacks natural play strength. Needs to get stronger and doesn't have the mean streak they're looking for, but he is extremely smart and a great athlete at C. Ricky Stromberg is the guy I think they would want to fall in round 4 if he's not taken on Day 2. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

I just hate that they didn't land the OT. That was their plan and the way it unfolded had to sting 

if that was their plan, then they should have held firm with the 13th pick.  Think GB would have folded with the rest of the trade parameters.  They had to know that the OTs would not slip that far.  And with the weakness of the draft class, there weren't a lot of good deals for coming up.  So they probably planned for McDonald.  They seemed genuinely happy about it.  

My view on the tackles was more sanguine.  All of them came with question marks.  There were also a bunch of reports on how entitled and immature many in the group were.  There were no slam-dunks there.  The tackle class last year was a better class.  As was the tackle class the year that Bechton was picked.  Maybe the preoccupation with the round 1 tackles was a smokescreen.  

And for those who thought they should trade up like the Steelers, the price of the Rodgers trade was that they didn't have the draft capital to make that move.  We are poor on draft resources through next year.  That's the disconnect on the Rodgers trade.  We actually need draft capital with Q and Rodgers on the team next year.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

So the way Joe kind of drafts is the first round is more about drafting assets at priority positions. He likes to nab the building blocks in round 1. 

Rounds 2-5 are more focused on filling needs at the less premium positions, finding cultural fits, role players, and developmental talent. I don't think they're going to abandon their board to go get an OT just because they didn't in round 1 (see how things unfolded last year). Instead, I think they're going to target players who they think could contribute right away but also provide long-term upside. If its at a premium position all the better. 

I know the team is high on Cody Mauch. I believe there's a strong chance he's selected. When I spoke to a Jets source early in the process, they kind of laid out how they viewed some of the top guys. Peter Skoronski had a Egerton Jenkins comp as a guy who can play all 5 positions, but would get a fair crack at tackle. Cody Mauch is the 2nd round version of Skoronski in the sense that he's a LT with position versatility, elite athleticism, high character marks, and has a nasty aspect to his game, but has less than ideal arm length. If you were prepared to take Skoronski in round 1 and had a role planned out for him, why wouldn't the same be the case for Mauch who they also like a lot? Worst case scenario you slide him into G or C and still achieve your goal of adding a versatile asset to the line that kind of embodies the identity/culture they're looking to establish, and given how CMG is back you can afford to give Mauch some time to adjust. It all makes sense, but I just don't know where exactly they have him. Is he player 40? Is he player 50? 

A lot of the same things can be said about Joe Tippmann. I'm just guessing but I would think they have him rated higher than Mauch? Idk. I think JMS is certainly an option. Trading down as well but I don't think they will if a guy they want is there. 

Don't know that they love Wypler. He's more of a 4th-5th round development guy, kind of like Nick Harris was - high upside but center-only player who lacks natural play strength. Needs to get stronger and doesn't have the mean streak they're looking for, but he is extremely smart and a great athlete at C. Ricky Stromberg is the guy I think they would want to fall in round 4 if he's not taken on Day 2. 

Tippman worries me with his height.  Know he's looked like an outlier thus far, but we are not projecting injuries and flexibility over time.  The stout stocky shorter dude with leverage seems to retain more tread on the tires over time.  Tippman's longevity at center would scare me.  

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Great stuff!  Thanks

2 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Tippman worries me with his height.  Know he's looked like an outlier thus far, but we are not projecting injuries and flexibility over time.  The stout stocky shorter dude with leverage seems to retain more tread on the tires over time.  Tippman's longevity at center would scare me.  

Alittle off topic on Tippman. I heard him interviewed on SiriusXM the other day.  He's a character (in a good way)...Articulate, Funny. Loves football.

57 minutes ago, football guy said:

When you're right you're right. Just kind of a let down. It's nothing against WMD either; he's a perfect scheme/culture fit and should produce. I'm just really worried about their OT situation 

Do you think they will resign George Fant now?need another reliable piece for this season.

46 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Definitely like Tippman the most and I’m actually higher on the range of players coming up than those early draft prospects. I think a name that might rise up boards is Kobie Turner who is a great fit in our scheme.

Good DT. Took him for Falcons in the 5th in our JN mock.

5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

That's fair but you can always move him to guard.