Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones has had one good year and that year saw him badly throw for 3,000 yards and only 15 tds. Yes, the rushing stats were there, but is that sustainable? Does he put himself at risk of injury? Dude was a turnover machine too.

the upside is he’s 25 and still growing, but he doesn’t scream throw the bag at him yet.

the giant fans on the fan dropping to their knees for this guy saw what he can be against the eagles and are pretending it didn’t happen.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, usanyj said:

Daniel Jones has had one good year and that year saw him badly throw for 3,000 yards and only 15 tds. Yes, the rushing stats were there, but is that sustainable? Does he put himself at risk of injury? Dude was a turnover machine too.

the upside is he’s 25 and still growing, but he doesn’t scream throw the bag at him yet.

the giant fans on the fan dropping to their knees for this guy saw what he can be against the eagles and are pretending it didn’t happen.

in fairness to him, the giants have almost zero offensive talent.  jones had a better season last year then any jet QB in what, 4 years?

he's got a good arm, awesome mobility and has really cut down on his turnovers.

he's 25 - proven he can play in NY. 

all i'm saying is he's probably the 3rd best option.

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

I would not hate it (for the right $$$) ... but man .... falls into this Milktoast University category, joining the following list.

Jimmy G.

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Jacoby Brissett

Case Keenum

Mike White

Guys that can play .. but are about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Edited by Dunnie

he had a ok to good YEAR. you want to give him a 30-40 mil dollar contract for 3-4 years off of one good season.?

and if the Giants do let him go that should be a warning to us to not do it. they know him better.

thing that scares me the most is if he came here he isnt going to have a RB get anywhere close to 1300 yds. i like Hall but coming off that injury we shouldnt expect that. maybe 800- 1000 yds. means Jones will have to throw it more. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:40 AM, GreenFish said:

Jones has had one ok year. Some of y’all are talking about him like he’s an above average QB. He’s serviceable. Maybe.

If we get to the Daniel Jones tier, just get a guy in that bucket for 1 year.

3/35 for Jones sounds wild. I cant imagine the Giants doing that.

I can't imagine the Giants doing that either. Why? Because it is going to take more than that to sign him.

Daniel Jones is going to far eclipse a 100 million dollar contract. This is the world we live in.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am thinking the same thing, but hoping they let him test free agency. That would be a mistake.

I also think that Jones and his agent must realize that his production is maximized by the coach. It's not a coincidence he did this well under Daboll compared to the rest of his career. Kudos for Jones for doing it but I'm sure their Plan A is a long term deal with the Giants Plan B play on the franchise tag with the Giants for an even bigger monster deal 2024.

57 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I can't imagine the Giants doing that either. Why? Because it is going to take more than that to sign him.

Daniel Jones is going to far eclipse a 100 million dollar contract. This is the world we live in.

You might be right. It’s just unbelievable to me. How much better is Daniel Jones than Baker Mayfield? It’s a toss-up. But nobody is talking about signing Baker for anything meaningful.

This is why no way do I touch Jones. 100M for Jones is a huge risk. Give me Tannehill or Baker for 1 year in this case.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You might be right. It’s just unbelievable to me. How much better is Daniel Jones than Baker Mayfield? It’s a toss-up. But nobody is talking about signing Baker for anything meaningful.

This is why no way do I touch Jones. 100M for Jones is a huge risk. Give me Tannehill or Baker for 1 year in this case.

Baker is hot garbage.  He was probably close to being out of the league when the Rams signed him as an emergency QB.  He had 2 good games for them but one was against the disinterested and crappy Broncos.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baker is hot garbage.  He was probably close to being out of the league when the Rams signed him as an emergency QB.  He had 2 good games for them but one was against the disinterested and crappy Broncos.  

I know. But by what measure Daniel Jones materially better than Baker?

Look at their careers. DJ is in the Baker category. So if Baker is garbage, how in the world is DJ for 100m a good idea?

Baker likely gets a 1 year deal at $10M. That seems appropriate.

Edit: I’m not advocating we get Baker. I want Carr or Rodgers. Just that after that, things drop big time.

So here we go. Let’s compare a player we universally agree is not good versus Daniel Jones

Career stats over a 17 game season
Comp%, Total Yards, Total TD, Total Turnovers (I’m adding rushing)

Baker: 61.4%, 4,002 yards, 26 TDs, 24 TOs

Danny Dimes: 64.0%, 4,191 yards, 23 TDs, 24 TOs

One is garbage and the other is a franchise QB. 

8 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

So here we go. Let’s compare a player we universally agree is not good versus Daniel Jones

Career stats over a 17 game season
Comp%, Total Yards, Total TD, Total Turnovers (I’m adding rushing)

Baker: 61.4%, 4,002 yards, 26 TDs, 24 TOs

Danny Dimes: 64.0%, 4,191 yards, 23 TDs, 24 TOs

One is garbage and the other is a franchise QB. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/seasontype/2

image.thumb.png.11ef0ee7185be9f36d6ab49835e715b9.png

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

So you are comparing Jones best season to Bakers worse season.

Look I might be on island on this one. So, I’ll just bow out. No way would I sign him to anything more than a 1 year deal. But we will see what the Giants do.

Look at bakers ol/weapons in those years compared to what Jones has had. The #1 wr on the giants would prob be our 4th or 5th. Their TE would be #3

32 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Look at bakers ol/weapons in those years compared to what Jones has had. The #1 wr on the giants would prob be our 4th or 5th. Their TE would be #3

Too much of a risk for me. Time will tell.

Just went through some Giants boards and they seem to think he is worth a multi year deal at $35-40M per year.

He’s at best an ok QB. But the Jets are not getting him. So this debate doesn’t really matter.

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, Flea Flicking Frank said:

its amazing to me how a year ago at this time Jones was total sh*t and the Giants needed a QB, now they get a really good coach and we want to steal the QB from the Giants, who was complete sh*t a year ago.

Only in Jetland

Jones was never as bad as some made out.

He’s been one of the better parts of an absolutely abysmal team. Has had a bottom 5 offensive line every year he’s been in the league.

I’m not clamouring for him but we could do much worse. He’d be night and day from what we’ve had.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Too much of a risk for me. Time will tell.

Just went through some Giants boards and they seem to think he is worth a multi year deal at $35-40M per year.

He’s at best an ok QB. But the Jets are not getting him. So this debate doesn’t really matter.

Currently sure he’s just ok, but he was always a developmental type of qb. Also just being ok is a massive upgrade for us. He’s a good runner, strong arm, accurate. Has some fumble issues. It seemed to take a bit to click for him which took even longer with having no supporting cast. He’s a 65 comp % guy who can rush for 500+ yards a year and doesn’t throw a bunch of picks 

On 2/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Exactly, this is exactly what I was saying.

There is nothing special about Jones, he was pretty putrid the past few years until very good coaches got a hold of him.

If anyone thinks Jones did what he did with the Giants, with this Jets team this past year they are fooling themsleves.

I don't see much of a difference between white and Jones at all

White’s injury-prone tendencies maybe.

21 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Jones was never as bad as some made out.

He’s been one of the better parts of an absolutely abysmal team. Has had a bottom 5 offensive line every year he’s been in the league.

I’m not clamouring for him but we could do much worse. He’d be night and day from what we’ve had.

I have never been one to say Jones was terrible, I think he was more of a circumstance of crappy situation. BUT, prior to this year any thought of him being signed to a 35-40m per year long term deal would have been laughable. There was a question on whether or not he would even start this year, and it was a big thought that he would not even have his 5th year option . 

Prior to this year, he was not night and day better than mike white, not even close. This year, with really good coaching, yes. But we don't have really good coaching, so we would much more likely get previous Daniel Jones, not this years Jones. Coaching matters a ton, Jones is another in a long list of proof we have on this topic that Jets fans want to blatantly ignore and act like its all about hitting the QB lottery