Scary Deja Vu Regarding Rodgers.

32EBoozer

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Never mind… taxes.

Yea but specifically because of his option. Once his option is exercised, his bonus that initially counted against the cap gets converted to a signing bonus meaning it becomes cap friendly but then is all paid out in a lump sum. Player's base salaries are taxed based on location of game, signing bonus is taxed all at once in the home state.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  At 8-3, coming off two huge road wins, I thought we had a great shot at the Super Bowl. 

But Favre and Mangini put that f**king streak ahead of the team.  Anyone watching the games knew Favre was not the same guy, but they would not sit him down.  Did not help that Kellen Clemens was our back up and he struggled when he had the chance to play in 07 -- not sure it would have turned out any differently had Clemens played, but Favre was awful down the stretch that season.

Could Favre's bicep have healed up adequately enough to make a playoff run if he'd sat for a month? Maybe not, but we'll never know.

Clemens wasn't too good the year before either (though his crappy 5/10 ratio would've be a less-crappy 6/9 if McCareins held onto even 1 of 2 TDs instead of butterfingersing it into Ray Lewis's hands in the EZ, without altering any of his throws). At the same time, Favre threw just 2 TDs over the last 5 games. How much worse could that have gone, really?

I remember reading something years later that Favre knew he couldn't throw. Said he'd aim over here and the ball would end up over there, 10+ yards away. The only value he had on the field is the theoretical threat that he'd make a defense pay deep, but that lasted only so long. 

Favre wasn't perfect before that himself. That Raiders loss was positively Wilsonian. But mostly the season was exciting enough to think it was a good move if not for him tearing a right bicep. ****load more than these past several seasons, that's for sure. Plus while so many good young players are on rookie contracts (or even for QW1, the first 1-2 yrs of an extension with lower cap hits), this is the ideal time to take advantage. If Wilson was a big hit, that would've been better, but that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Probably because people like @#27TheDominator and @Bleedin Green have done everything in their power to downplay any success Eric Mangini had as coach of the Jets, while claiming Favre wasn't as good as he was those first 11 games.

Yet those 11 games remain the best QB play (before or since) the Jets have seen since, arguably, Namath.

@T0mShane

People with actual memories?  **** that guy.  Maybe check their schedule?  Their SRS was basically like having home field advantage for the season.  They played two non-division teams with winning records all season.  The Titans and the Cardinals.  They romped the Cardinals (9-7) and everyone chirped, but that was a cross country game same as the Chargers who ******* crushed us the week before.  The Titans were a nice win.  We all felt good, especially coming off an OT win vs. the Pats and Matt Cassel (woohoo!).  That schedule included the 2-14 Rams and Chiefs, 4-12 Bengals and Seahawks, 5-11 Raiders.  Literal free wins for a super bowl team.  The division included the Dolphins who were led by our castoff with the noodle arm and the Patiorts who were playing Cassel.  They sucked and so did that douchebag coach.  I'd have liked to see Favre with Rex because Rex just needed a C+ QB with that team and damage could have been done, but aging Favre was a noted choke artist who gave away the playoff game for Minnesota the following year.  Choke city.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/08/07/look-back-brett-favre-trade-jets-10-years-later/924042002/

Both 39, both stringing the Packers along by the nose (Maybe retire/maybe not), both insulted by the drafting of their replacement and not mentoring the younger Qb. Both flakes but popular with offensive & defensive veteran players and both management teams unable to figure out how to cut ties. Both SB winning Qb’s cresting in their careers.

The more I consider Rodgers, the more I’m thinking it’s not the right move at Qb. It could turn out to be Favre 2.0. He starts off great and then things begin to devolve after he gets injured and expectations aren’t met. 

Rodgers Cap will be WAYYY more problematic than moving on from Favre.

Cimini’s original article.

https://es.pn/2AP8t4M

He did okay with the Vikings after his jets stint

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People with actual memories?  **** that guy.  Maybe check their schedule?  Their SRS was basically like having home field advantage for the season.  They played two non-division teams all season with winning records..  The Titans and the Cardinals.  They romped the Cardinals (9-7) and everyone chirped, but that was a cross country game same as the Chargers who ******* crushed us the week before.  That schedule included the 2-14 Rams and Chiefs, 4-12 Bengals and Seahawks, 5-11 Raiders.  Literal free wins for a super bowl team.  The division included the Dolphins who were led by our castoff with the noodle arm and the Patiorts who were playing Cassel.  They sucked and so did that douchebag coach.  I'd have liked to see Favre with Rex because Rex just needed a C+ QB with that team and damage could have been done, but aging Favre was a noted choke artist who gave away the playoff game for Minnesota the following year.  Choke city.

I should create a Mangini/Favre bat signal.  You never disappoint.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I wonder how different this take would be if Brett had stayed healthy. I recall the day we knocked off the 10-1 Titans in their own house, Things looked and felt sooo good that day I would welcome it again.

But that is the thing: He didn't stay healthy.  Then, he ****ed off.  40 year old QB's will get hurt (unless you are deal-with-the-devil Tom Brady).  Who is to say he doesn't play 3/4 of a year for us and then retires?  And we will spend A LOT to get us nowhere.

I know WHY people don't want Derek Carr.  But he starts getting us to the playoffs, which helps breed success.  Then, the F/O MUST keep drafting QB's to sit behind Carr.  And then battle Carr for playing time.  And when one gets good enough to take the time, we will FINALLY have a drafted QB and possible franchise QB.  But we will have to keep drafting them until we get one.  Could Zach be that if we get Carr?  Sure, he could.  If I was a betting man, and you made me bet my house on "if" he could?  I would bet against him doing it. 

If you look at some of the best QB's in the game, they were all drafted behind legitimate starters.  To win playing time against a legitimate starter, you need to elevate your game.  And that can happen when a team is winning. 

Carr is the best move.  My mind is officially changed.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I should create a Mangini/Favre bat signal.  You never disappoint.  

I absolutely love both compared to Parcells.  

@T0mShane

FWIW, I liked Mangini i and thought he was headed in the right direction.  I liked the fresh start.  I was very disappointed that Mangini went with Favre.  I allowed myself to "enjoy the ride" but it was obvious Favre did not want to be h ere and was using us as a stepping stone to Minnesota.  Mangini was supposed to have principles and follow the process.  Instead he jumped head first into having a guy that held the team hostage, put himself first, did not take to coaching and would never allow himself to be held accountable.  Mangini was supposed to be setting up a culture, but he threw that all away.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's hilarious to me how everyone ignores how Favre got hurt: by being old 

40 year old men have glass Jaws 

That's why Brady was throwing balls into the dirt at the end he had no interest in taking a hit 

Favre also had nick and brick, Alan Faneca etc 

There's no way Aaron Rodgers looks at this Jets line and says "these guys will keep me safe" 

Quarterbacks are waaay more protected now than 13 years ago.    And Rodgers gets rid of the ball WAAAYYY quicker than the old gun slinger

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

You want a QB who is motivated, I agree with that sentiment. If money is the only factor for Rodgers then he won't be coming to NY, he'll make $11m more from Vegas on the same contract.

Rodgers is never going to win as many Super Bowls as the great QBs of his generation.

But if he wins one with the friggin NY Jets - it would legendary.

Him and Namath. That would be the list.

That has to count for something a bit extra, imo.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

But that is the thing: He didn't stay healthy.  Then, he ****ed off.  40 year old QB's will get hurt (unless you are deal-with-the-devil Tom Brady).  Who is to say he doesn't play 3/4 of a year for us and then retires?  And we will spend A LOT to get us nowhere.

I know WHY people don't want Derek Carr.  But he starts getting us to the playoffs, which helps breed success.  Then, the F/O MUST keep drafting QB's to sit behind Carr.  And then battle Carr for playing time.  And when one gets good enough to take the time, we will FINALLY have a drafted QB and possible franchise QB.  But we will have to keep drafting them until we get one.  Could Zach be that if we get Carr?  Sure, he could.  If I was a betting man, and you made me bet my house on "if" he could?  I would bet against him doing it. 

If you look at some of the best QB's in the game, they were all drafted behind legitimate starters.  To win playing time against a legitimate starter, you need to elevate your game.  And that can happen when a team is winning. 

Carr is the best move.  My mind is officially changed.  

See, this is one of my concerns too. What if Rogers comes here and our record goes south? Say we're 3-8 at the bye. How will Rogers (and the rest of the team) hold up? Say Rogers breaks his thumb again and plays like poop. All that money for nuttin, and our cap is gutted for years.

I really don't wanna even think about it anymore until something gets announced!

20 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Rodgers is never going to win as many Super Bowls as the great QBs of his generation.

But if he wins one with the friggin NY Jets - it would legendary.

Him and Namath. That would be the list.

That has to count for something a bit extra, imo.

I agree because of history but winning the first SB in Vegas, while it's hosted in Vegas has its appeals too I'm sure.  

I love the idea of Rodgers on this team, but not for the compensation it's going to take to get him. I get you guys are tired of the losing, and so am I, but we've finally got a GM that is building this team the correct way, albeit for a few hickup's. I don't want to trash that just for a chance or hope that Rodgers will be the answer. It's a hard choice because if he's not checked out on football, he instantly makes this team better, but at what cost...  

12 hours ago, adb280z said:

The path to mediocrity!  Yay!

Why would you want to settle for that?

Because w/ this option, you still have money and draft picks to keep building this roster while you search for the young, franchise qb.

Rather then sign Rodgers, have no money to spend, and he is going to bust anyway, everyone gets fired and its more 2-15 seasons and a rebuild again.

Stay the course Joe!!!!!

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Because w/ this option, you still have money and draft picks to keep building this roster while you search for the young, franchise qb.

Rather then sign Rodgers, have no money to spend, and he is going to bust anyway, everyone gets fired and its more 2-15 seasons and a rebuild again.

Stay the course Joe!!!!!

So where are you getting a QB? Jimmy G ain't it.