Lunch in Jersey

12 hours ago, Trotter said:

That’s a fancy White Castle - can’t be in jersey

Wait, hold on now bud...  they built a real nice one on Rt22 westbound lane in between Plainfield and Bridgewater... If my memory serves me, I believe it's in Green Brook, lmao...

7 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

None of these white people ever had scoon-GEAL and col-a-mod Crush

My grandmother Antoinette, grew up in Sicily. She learn  to catch, clean and prepare cuddle fish in the black sauce when she was a little girl. She use to make it for us before she passed. That, Bacalao and Col-a-mod were Christmas Eve feast of the seven fishes staples for 25 years. I still make 2 of the three, but sadly the cuddle fish passed with her.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My grandmother Antoinette, grew up in Sicily. She learn  to catch, clean and prepare cuddle fish in the black sauce when she was a little girl. She use to make it for us before she passed. That, Bacalao and Col-a-mod were Christmas Eve feast of the seven fishes staples for 25 years. I still make 2 of the three, but sadly the cuddle fish passed with her.  

Same with my grandmother Carmela. Raised in Italy, her recipes I continue to try to recreate died with her.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TommyT said:

Same with my grandmother Carmela. Raised in Italy, her recipes I continue to try to recreate died with her.

It’s tough dude. If she was like my grandmother she wrote very little down. If they didn’t teach someone then it was gone with them. My grandmother cooked by memory and taste, had 12 kids so plenty of practice. . Thankfully most of everything she made went from her to my mom and myself. My mother taught most of it to my wife, daughters and sons. But few of the holiday type more ethnic stuff kind of vanished. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Those Christmas Eve seafood feasts were amazing-we always had big dish of alleluias (spaghetti in garlic and oil) to start-no meat  I used to love that bit that George Carlin used to do about what about the Catholics doing time in hell on a meat rap. On note in the 1960's we weren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays-then there'd always be that bastid who would ask you if you were eating meat after you took a big bite of your ham samich

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Those Christmas Eve seafood feasts were amazing-we always had big dish of alleluias (spaghetti in garlic and oil) to start-no meat  I used to love that bit that George Carlin used to do about what about the Catholics doing time in hell on a meat rap. On note in the 1960's we weren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays-then there'd always be that bastid who would ask you if you were eating meat after you took a big bite of your ham samich

LOL. I got a nice slap in the head when I was about 9 when of the sisters at St. Francis ask me what I gave up for lent and I answered,” giving stuff up,” haha, the good old days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TommyT said:

It's hilarious how everyone including me talk about our grandmothers Italian cooking and feasts...damn our mothers really fell off and got lazy. lol

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

It's hilarious how everyone including me talk about our grandmothers Italian cooking and feasts...damn our mothers really fell off and got lazy. lol

I still have kids table scars. My mother drank vermouth and forgot she had kids.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

LOL. I got a nice slap in the head when I was about 9 when of the sisters at St. Francis ask me what I gave up for lent and I answered,” giving stuff up,” haha, the good old days. 

I used to always give up stuff I never liked anyway "I'm giving up those candy-coated Almonds"

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, undertow said:

Haha my mother was an awesome cook in the 90's as she got older she could care less.  It's basically Stouffers now.  lmao

My mother was a terrible cook. Her meatballs were burnt on the outside and raw in the inside. She increased the oven temperature to cook things faster. She invented stuff like french fries omelette and would put hard boiled eggs in the eggplant parmesan.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I used to always give up stuff I never liked anyway "I'm giving up those candy-coated Almonds"

image.jpeg

Really? I snagged everyone of those I could off every Italian cookie tray at every Italian wedding. I always thought that’s what they were for because stuffing your pocket with cookies was fraught with peril. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I give up my Friday fish fries for lent. Places are packed with all those damn catholics.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

I give up my Friday fish fries for lent. Places are packed with all those damn catholics.

That’s one of the things that moving from Upstate Ny to Virginia really stood out. Not every church, restaurant, grocery store, corner store, civic association and random parking lot didn’t have Friday Fish Fries. That and I quickly figured out where all the people that watch NASCAR were. 

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Wait, hold on now bud...  they built a real nice one on Rt22 westbound lane in between Plainfield and Bridgewater... If my memory serves me, I believe it's in Green Brook, lmao...

Have not been down 22 in prob 15 years

is bowcraft still there?

I grew up with the White Castle in orange and am stopped at the light on Newark ave next to the jc White Castle every morning

• Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, freestater said:

I get a kick out of some of my neighbors down here going to Cracker Barrel on Friday night for the fried cod dinner special. “We live in Coastal Carolina, you can’t drive two lights and not pass 3 fish houses and you’re going to Cracker Barrel?”

*disclaimer* it is pretty good though, lol

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I get a kick out of some of my neighbors down here going to Cracker Barrel on Friday night for the fried cod dinner special. “We live in Coastal Carolina, you can’t drive two lights and not pass 3 fish houses and you’re going to Cracker Barrel?”

*disclaimer* it is pretty good though, lol

I have an occasional Mickey D's egg mcmuffin if I'm out working (I like McD's coffee quite a bit) but with that exception, I make it policy to never set foot in corporate chain restaurants. Its only local places, and usually dives, that I frequent. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, freestater said:

I have an occasional Mickey D's egg mcmuffin if I'm out working (I like McD's coffee quite a bit) but with that exception, I make it policy to never set foot in corporate chain restaurants. Its only local places, and usually dives, that I frequent. 

Mickey D’s coffee is shockingly good. Probably the only thing I ever get there other than a double burger once or twice a year tops.

I’m like you with the corporate places but I’m fortunate in that I live in an area where my main road is considered Restaurant Row. 

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Mickey D’s coffee is shockingly good. Probably the only thing I ever get there other than a double burger once or twice a year tops.

I’m like you with the corporate places but I’m fortunate in that I live in an area where my main road is considered Restaurant Row. 

Nice. We've got a pretty good restaurant scene in Rochester for a small city. I've got favorites from every genre I can think of. German beer halls, Little corner Ethiopian places, Mexican food from the Yucatan or more Tex/Mex, Old school Italian thats been open nearly a century. Even a pretty good vegan place or two. I cant ever imagine losing my marbles enough to choose f**king Applebee's over that lol. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s tough dude. If she was like my grandmother she wrote very little down. If they didn’t teach someone then it was gone with them. My grandmother cooked by memory and taste, had 12 kids so plenty of practice. . Thankfully most of everything she made went from her to my mom and myself. My mother taught most of it to my wife, daughters and sons. But few of the holiday type more ethnic stuff kind of vanished. 

My wife’s Italian grandmother never wrote her recipes down, and if someone she didn’t like asked her for a recipe, she would deliberately leave a key ingredient out so they could never duplicate it.

• Haha 1