How do you want QB3 handled?

9 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The ideal QB situation this off-season is obvious and doesn’t need discussion:

QB1: Zach Wilson The future GOAT begins to hit his stride.  

QB2: Aaron Rodgers Joe Douglas signs a QB able to play at an MVP level to provide quality depth behind Zach.  

QB3?!! Here is where things get interesting.  

Do you want youth?  Mike  White?  Another vet? 

QB3 definitely should be zach Wilson. He barely earns that spot. But he can’t be 1 injury away from taking over like end of last yr.. 

10 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

QB2: Aaron Rodgers Joe Douglas signs a QB able to play at an MVP level to provide quality depth behind Zach.  

I dont think they should have a 1, 2 or 3.  Instead, they should have a steady rotation of Rodgers, Wilson and Streveler. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

the jets need to draft a qb re3gardless of who they sign as a free agent or trade.  wilson should be the back up unless he shows some great strides in training camp or preseason.

How do you want QB3 handled?

As an afterthought to QB1 and QB2, lol.

But seriously, as of today:

1:  New acquired BAP Proven Vet QB (Rodgers or Carr really only options IMO, Rodgers preferable for a two year win-it-all run, Carr preferable because keeping all our draft picks and likely longer term of stability at QB (?))

2: New acquired BAP mid-tier Vet backup QB (Heinicke, Mayfield, Minshew).

3. Late Round 2023 Draft Pick (Developmental guy, Clayton Tune perhaps, in the 6th?)

4. Trade ZW for whatever draft assets we can.  Even a 7th works for me, there are needs I can fill with day 1 starters/contributors with a 7th this draft, at FB, Punter, etc.

With my draft plan, I'd got to battle the next few seasons with Carr/Minshew/Tune as our QB room 2023-2026 or so.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As an afterthought to QB1 and QB2, lol.

But seriously, as of today:

1:  New acquired BAP Proven Vet QB (Rodgers or Carr really only options IMO, Rodgers preferable for a two year win-it-all run, Carr preferable because keeping all our draft picks and likely longer term of stability at QB (?))

2: New acquired BAP mid-tier Vet backup QB (Heinicke, Mayfield, Minshew).

3. Late Round 2023 Draft Pick (Developmental guy, Clayton Tune perhaps, in the 6th?)

4. Trade ZW for whatever draft assets we can.  Even a 7th works for me, there are needs I can fill with day 1 starters/contributors with a 7th this draft, at FB, Punter, etc.

With my draft plan, I'd got to battle the next few seasons with Carr/Minshew/Tune as our QB room 2023-2026 or so.

If they sign Carr to a long deal they might follow this plan exactly.  

I don’t think they will want to sign Carr to a long deals without an out, but who knows.  I also think there will be lots of people with an eye for QBs who are interested in Zach if he becomes available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Wilson is on a guaranteed contract so unless there is a trade, he's back. For a $10MM cap hit, they aren't sticking him at QB3 outside of a cataclysmically bad offseason or some disciplinary tool to make him earn the QB2 spot. For what it's going to take to bring in a vet at QB1 it would be crazy to pay a big contract to QB1, a hefty hit on QB3 and another backup level contract at QB2. 

IMO the QB3 question depends a lot on the QB1 situation. If Douglas lands Rodgers, he has to think about the future. In that case, I expect Douglas drafts a QB right away and take two bites at the apple that Hackett can develop somebody to take over in a year or two. If he signs Carr or somebody else on a three or more year deal, he might wait to draft and follow up. Not completely out of the realm of possibility that we see the team roll into 2024 with QB1: Carr/? QB2: Wilson QB3: Streveler.

Not taking a position on the merits of any of these players--just looking at the finances. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If they sign Carr to a long deal they might follow this plan exactly.  

I don’t think they will want to sign Carr to a long deals without an out, but who knows.  I also think there will be lots of people with an eye for QBs who are interested in Zach if he becomes available. 

I’ve been discussing this with @derp this offseason—this QB class sucks. As bad as Zach has been, he’d still be far and away the most complete—traits-wise—QB in this draft. There’s legitimate conversation right now that Anthony Richardson could be a top-three pick based *solely* on arm strength and foot speed. Zach stinks, but if you’re a team who kinda needs a QB but miss out on Young/Levis/Stroud/Richardson, why wouldn’t you throw the Jets a conditional two for Wilson? 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They should draft an athletic project in round three or four and work to develop him while Rodgers contemplates running for Mayor of NYC on the platform that Covid was good because it would have wiped out all the scheming “mole people” that live in subterranean kingdoms beneath the subway tunnels of Manhattan and Queens. Maybe Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA? 

Are we sure none of the mole people have a good arm? Worth exploring a shifty QB who is already familiar with NYC. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

Are we sure none of the mole people have a good arm? Worth exploring a shifty QB who is already familiar with NYC. 

The issue with this is that the Jets stink and won’t get any prime-time games, and mole people can’t tolerate the sunlight that comes with 1 PM games. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been discussing this with @derp this offseason—this QB class sucks. As bad as Zach has been, he’d still be far and away the most complete—traits-wise—QB in this draft. There’s legitimate conversation right now that Anthony Richardson could be a top-three pick based *solely* on arm strength and foot speed. Zach stinks, but if you’re a team who kinda needs a QB but miss out on Young/Levis/Stroud/Richardson, why wouldn’t you throw the Jets a conditional two for Wilson? 

I don’t think the Jets want to burn their ships behind Zach, but I also think they want another season to be sure.  

i bet a conditional second is out there this year if they want it.  

Zach doesn’t look like he’s headed to mediocrity.  He’s going to be a bust or really good.  That risk reward is easy to pay even if another team thinks they have a 25% chance of fixing it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I don’t think the Jets want to burn their ships behind Zach, but I also think they want another season to be sure.  

i bet a conditional second is out there this year if they want it.  

Zach doesn’t look like he’s headed to mediocrity.  He’s going to be a bust or really good.  That risk reward is easy to pay even if another team thinks they have a 25% chance of fixing it.

I get what you’re saying, but I do not believe that this Jets administration believes that Zach is any good. If they thought Zach was going to be any good, they wouldn’t be chasing Derek Carr around. This doesn’t mean that the Jets are right—they never are!—but I think the wool is dyed as far as Zach is concerned.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I get what you’re saying, but I do not believe that this Jets administration believes that Zach is any good. If they thought Zach was going to be any good, they wouldn’t be chasing Derek Carr around. This doesn’t mean that the Jets are right—they never are!—but I think the wool is dyed as far as Zach is concerned.

Maybe.  Woody is certainly terrified of being considered a Zach supporter lol.  

Are they able to spread the dead cap after June 6th or something?

Ideally Zach is qb3. If they truly believe he can be salvaged, he should be put on ice for 2023 and let him come out swinging in 2024. With that amount of time, you’d think he could regain his confidence, which I think is what is holding him back the most. I doubt he can be, but if they believe it, at least do it right.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is correct.  While there's an outside chance Zach may be able to be resurrected, it's not going to happen in NY.  I'm pretty sure the Jets management know this too.

My guess is they would love to trade him and I'm sure Zach's people want him as far away from this toxic fan base as possible.  But if it's for a 4th or 5th Jets might as well keep him around in case a miracle happens.  

I suspect if a 3rd is offered he's gone.

• Haha 1