Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

9 hours ago, Vader said:

I think that little clip was as close to an admission as to whether he's coming or not as we are ever going to get. And it looks like an admission he's coming for one year to me. Agree it should be 2+ minimum. But dude seems v genuine and likeable 

Guys, look at the clip again: When Rodgers says "one year", his focus in his train of thought (based on what he said right before and right after) was whether Brandon Marshall can call himself an all time Jet based on "one year" with the organization.   Rodgers was NOT suggesting he was coming to the Jets, and if he was how long it would be.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone posted on that most reliable of news sources, facebook, that the trade won’t happen until after the 17th, because Rodgers’ $59M salary/bonus can’t be exercised until then. For accounting purposes, if it happened earlier, the Jets would have to clear that entire amount before converting it to bonus money and spreading it out. I’m not sure that’s true, but here’s an article about his contract that discusses that particular date: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaron-rodgers-contract-details-salary-cap-impact-bonuses/

So maybe it can’t happen until after 3/17, or maybe not, lol. 

If this is true and the Jets stand pat with no announcement through the free agent frenzy this week and we have to sit and watch every other option come off the board, every Jet fans head is going to explode, including mine.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Someone posted on that most reliable of news sources, facebook, that the trade won’t happen until after the 17th, because Rodgers’ $59M salary/bonus can’t be exercised until then. For accounting purposes, if it happened earlier, the Jets would have to clear that entire amount before converting it to bonus money and spreading it out. I’m not sure that’s true, but here’s an article about his contract that discusses that particular date: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/aaron-rodgers-contract-details-salary-cap-impact-bonuses/

There are so many moving parts to this. Everyone wants to hear the announcement but because of how complicated this deal is (based on certain dates, cap hits, contract structure and etc), it may be in everyone’s best interest to wait it out. Rodgers has said that these insiders don’t have an in with him, and both the packers and jets would make things more difficult if any real info was leaked. In the end, the only real info that we can confirm is that the jets and packers have talked, and the the jets and Rodgers have talked. Everything else floating around is questionable at best. Nobody knows anything. Everyone involved are keeping their mouths shut.

8 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Can always count on Brandon Marshall. I am pretty sure, even if it’s a done deal, that Aaron cannot announce it, just like the Jets cannot announce it, until the 15th. Rappaport or Schefter can say it’s happening, but we all know what Rodgers thinks about those guys, so they aren’t gonna get the scoop. This is fun. 

Could be....   If the Jets come into the next few days business as usual and casually addressing needs (other than quarterback) you can rest assured that's the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

What kind of bothers me is how many people object to Rodgers because of supposed personality traits. Honestly I’ve  never listened to him or followed him in Green Bay. But I hear all of things about how arrogant he is and all. Frankly I think I’d want my qb to e arrogant. He needs to be tough and think he can make all of those throws. As for all of the stories about his dark room or magic mushrooms, so what.  Back in the old days players would be on the field flat out drunk. Namath used to play hung over. Max McGee had his Super Bowl game hung over because he was second or third string and didn’t think he was going to play.  And think sauce isn’t arrogant? All the top players are because they have to beat the guys they’re lined up against every game.

Obviously some players come off as nice guys but that doesn’t mean they’re not burning inside with some fire. It’s the nature of the game.

I prefer his arrogance to the trash talking and end zone dances.  There's also a cat like quality of playing with a mouse before killing it.  Cats are stone cold killers but their arrogant enough to play with their prey before killing them. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd think the Jets, in just taking over the contract, would naturally exercise it with the passage of time through the 17th. They'd be taking over his contract which has this happening as the scheduled course of events.

Possible, sure, but I'm still not seeing how. I guess in theory the Jets could trade for Rodgers and then release him hours later, to avoid that guarantee from kicking in, but that'd be pretty strange. Or maybe I just skimmed past the important part that would've explained it to my dumb ass.

Doesn't matter anyway. Like I said last week, after the dust settles & people aren't refreshing Aaron Rodgers news waiting for it to happen, in hindsight this is going to seem like the worst-kept secret from the 2023 offseason. The only thing left was coming up with compensation agreeable to both teams, which it seems has been banged out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

If this is true and the Jets stand pat with no announcement through the free agent frenzy this week and we have to sit and watch every other option come off the board, every Jet fans head is going to explode, including mine.

Said it many times before but it bears repeating. This is going to be an unmitigated disaster.

• More Ugh 1

8 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

There is obviously a reason they can't or don't want to announce it... But it seems like it's been done since the trip to California... 

If you read between the lines... Sauce was trying to say it with deniability... By saying he will burn the cheese head when he becomes a Jet but for whatever reason they have all been told to keep it quiet... 

Packers GM said it.. Most have said it... To me this is either some game, media driven thing or money related reason. 

Whatever.... It's over i will just wait till it's announced... I just wonder what the other packages is coming bahktiari and maybe a LB? 

So Bakhtiari is an interesting point.   The Packers restructured him this week.   On the surface this would make him more attractive to the Jets for a trade because it would bring his cap WAYYY down.   Unfortunately if the Packers trade him to NYJ before June 1 they would now get an acceleration of 40 million on this years cap.   So a trade before June 1 WILL NOT HAPPEN.  But...   This could be a way for the Packers to take on some salary for the Jets if Rodgers demands Bak be included.   If the Packers trade Bak to NYJ after June 1 they could split that salary cap hit out and not take the entire hit this year.    Food for thought...

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd think the Jets, in just taking over the contract, would naturally exercise it with the passage of time through the 17th. They'd be taking over his contract which has this happening as the scheduled course of events.

Possible, sure, but I'm still not seeing how. I guess in theory the Jets could trade for Rodgers and then release him hours later, to avoid that guarantee from kicking in, but that'd be pretty strange.

Doesn't matter anyway. Like I said last week, after the dust settles & people aren't refreshing Aaron Rodgers news waiting for it to happen, in hindsight this is going to seem like the worst-kept secret from the 2023 offseason. The only thing left was coming up with compensation agreeable to both teams, which it seems has been banged out. 

I'm very interested in the additional player movement that's been rumored.  

33 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Yes, arrogant! It's clear he loves football and playing the game. If love of the game was the sole factor he would be signed to a team already. You're watching an arrogant production at the moment. 

Do you think HE knows what he’s doing?

It sounds like just because he hasn’t informed YOU what he plans on doing, you think he’s being arrogant.  
There’s a word for that ;)

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yesterday was my best CBB day ever.  +11.4 units.  On a roll.  Today's card is small and tight.  Beware.

Good to hear.

I made a miraculous recovery in the nba and of course Grand Canyon.

would have been even better if Tatum doesn’t miss 1 of the 2 ft’s with 3 seconds left to get to 35.

oh well - on to sunday

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry, but this makes me believe he's coming - and he's just enjoying ******* with us.

Honestly, good for him!  

i don't think he is f*cking with us. there are either a couple details to work out between the teams and possibly contract restructuring details and/or he is going to let the team(s) announce the deal

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I get the feeling that Rodgers is holding out until the last possible minute as a final "f*ck you" to the Packers. He's making it harder for them to prepare for free agency.

Doubt highly that's whats going on.

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

Do you think HE knows what he’s doing?

It sounds like just because he hasn’t informed YOU what he plans on doing, you think he’s being arrogant.  
There’s a word for that ;)

Yes he knows what he's going to do, this is not new behavior for Rodgers. I like Rodgers and feel confident he will be a Jett. He's been arrogant his entire life, this is far from a one off. 

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

What is really pathetic is fans believe that anything that has Woody’s footprints all over it will work. 

We have all been critical of woody myself included but I just don’t see where he is a negative here.

my guess how this went down is

jd - you handle the deal and finances

saleh - start practicing going back the the crazed guy you were with sf because that pvo sh-t ain’t going to work with rodgers

hackett - you work directly with Aaron on what players he wants and get that info to jd

woody - get the plane ready, make sure we have snacks and find a place for Aaron to live

see all good

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Why would Jimmy G sign up for that? He should at least wait on a 3-4 year Carr + $ These are his prime years and the Raiders are too far down for the blue chip Qb talent. Richardson may be available but he is a project. JG has a strong hand to play with LV, Atl. NE, Tenn. & TB all needing Qbs 

good point. 

i forget how young he is cause the guys who want him for the Jets keep saying only for 2 years. but your right, why would he sign such a short term deal. 

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Rodgers seems to pride himself on keeping the Schefters and Rapports of the world in the dark

yep. and he also loves to prove that they know nothing about him like when they all say its a done deal and hes coming here.

• Upvote 1