Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd feel better about the reported compensation if the Jets got a 2023 3rd back. As it's reported, sounds like JD is getting worked a little bit. Not terrible, not great either.

I’m surprised that I, nor any others here, never thought of this. I’d be ok with that. We keep 6 picks, get Rodgers and get back our 3rd.

Then the 2024 pick can be a conditional pick based on certain benchmarks and perhaps a conditional 2025 pick if AR plays next year.

31 minutes ago, ptisme said:

He also wants to walk back through the tunnel in five years to have his number retired and his name in the ring of honor at Lambeau and not have beers thrown at him.   

If we brought Revis back & he survived, so will Rodgers in GB. Favre also had no issues and he was worse in his behavior at the end.

Packers need him more than he needs them

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’m surprised that I, nor any others here, never thought of this. I’d be ok with that. We keep 6 picks, get Rodgers and get back our 3rd.

Then the 2024 pick can be a conditional pick based on certain benchmarks and perhaps a conditional 2025 pick if AR plays next year.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I haven't read the entire 355 pages of this and I'm sure you haven't either.

I did suggest this sort of deal right after we traded Moore since swapping 43 for 78 equates to a 3rd and gets us a 3rd back. 

I think at this point I've come to the preference of waiting until after June 1 for the trade because 2023 picks are more urgent to us as we try to win now.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Based on his first two years in the league, why is Moore worth more than an early third rounder? 

His skill set, age, under contract for cheap for 2 years, poor QB play made his stats poor, poor game planning didn’t have him involved enough. Etc.

I don’t think we big time lost in the trade. But when you trade the 2nd pick in the 2nd round 2 years later to what’s an early 3rd. That’s a loss. Not a gigantic loss. But still a loss.

When Favre was had for a 4th and Matt Ryan for a 3rd (closest examples to age of AR in a trade) and we are talking 43 and a 2024 1st. That’s a loss. So that’s 2 losses in trades. We said before all this JD has been great in trades and rarely loses (Adams, Darnold as main examples). But fact is, is if we do a trade like that we lost value wise). And really the only way to make that worth it, is winning a SB. And obviously that’s not easy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. I haven't read the entire 355 pages of this and I'm sure you haven't either.

I did suggest this sort of deal right after we traded Moore since swapping 43 for 78 equates to a 3rd and gets us a 3rd back. 

I think at this point I've come to the preference of waiting until after June 1 for the trade because 2023 picks are more urgent to us as we try to win now.

I was dead serious. I hadn't seen that posted anywhere..... and out of the 355 pages, I've read 353 of them (much to my shame).

Agree on waiting to June 1

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, slats said:

I thought your whole thing was the fact that the Jets don’t go all in enough? Now that they are going all in, you don’t like that either? 

you notice the number of his "woody is a cheapskate and won't pay up for players" posts have gone down a fair bit in the last few months.

so it's not surprising he needs to find something else to complain about with JD/Woody/etc.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

His skill set, age, under contract for cheap for 2 years, poor QB play made his stats poor, poor game planning didn’t have him involved enough. Etc.

I don’t think we big time lost in the trade. But when you trade the 2nd pick in the 2nd round 2 years later to what’s an early 3rd. That’s a loss. Not a gigantic loss. But still a loss.

When Favre was had for a 4th and Matt Ryan for a 3rd (closest examples to age of AR in a trade) and we are talking 43 and a 2024 1st. That’s a loss. So that’s 2 losses in trades. We said before all this JD has been great in trades and rarely loses (Adams, Darnold as main examples). But fact is, is if we do a trade like that we lost value wise). And really the only way to make that worth it, is winning a SB. And obviously that’s not easy.

I agree it’s a loss, but not because of what we got back in trade compensation. It’s a loss because Elijah Moore wasn’t as good as we thought he was. 

Moore played in the same offense with the same set of QBs Garrett Wilson did last year. I think he has to look in the mirror (more than anywhere else) for why his production in year 2 was so meager. 

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you notice the number of his "woody is a cheapskate and won't pay up for players" posts have gone down a fair bit in the last few months.

so it's not surprising he needs to find something else to complain about with JD/Woody/etc.

Bit was champion of that narrative and he is switched his stance to everything is terrible and the Jets are mortgaging the future giving up 2 2nd rounders for a washed up AR and having to sign his cronies 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If the big worry is dead cap space for a couple of years, we are already past the point of the term “selling it all” making any sense. 

i wasn't commenting on "selling it all".  i agree that the purported compensation is not selling it all.

i was just commenting that the "cost" is more than just the trade compensation.  there will be a large hangover of dead cap space once rodgers retires, unless he actually plays 3 or 4 more years.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, slats said:

I thought your whole thing was the fact that the Jets don’t go all in enough? Now that they are going all in, you don’t like that either? 

Exactly 

I wasn't talking about my preferences I was talking about JD's 

how he's all like we need to tear it all down to rebuild in years 1-4 and then he's in year 5 with no QB and in panic mode

it almost like we could have tried harder, sooner, and all that rebuilding garbage was just lip service to being bad 

11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Bit was champion of that narrative and he is switched his stance to everything is terrible and the Jets are mortgaging the future giving up 2 2nd rounders for a washed up AR and having to sign his cronies 

i'm not really worried about the 2 second rounders. I am worried about the 50-70 mil in dead cap 

but really it's not about my worries it's like year 1-4 of JD was just a waste of time 

they should be trying every year not just when JD is up for a new contract 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Oh man, look at Bit now, watching out for Woody's wallet as he bemoans spending money on the top talent available at the top position of importance instead of drafting another Denzel Mims, while simultaneously burying the nephew of the guy who got fired by the company he founded that contractually locked itself to naming rights before the nephew discovered his first pube. 

Closet Woody Johnson shill. I knew it. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, bitonti said:

Exactly 

how he's all like we need to tear it all down to rebuild in years 1-4 and then he's in year 5 with no QB and in panic mode

it almost like we could have tried harder, sooner, and all that rebuilding garbage was just lip service to being bad 

I doubt he thought he’d be in the strange position where most of the team is good except the qb.  Usually when gms suck, most of the team sucks.  That’s where we’ve been forever.  

If the jets get 2 good years out of rodgers that would be great, assuming they go on a legit playoff run.  That would hopefully give douglas enough time and swings to bring in another qb to sit behind rodgers when wilson walks.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh man, look at Bit now, watching out for Woody's wallet as he bemoans spending money on the top talent available at the top position of importance instead of drafting another Denzel Mims, while simultaneously buying the nephew of the guy who got fired by the company he founded that contractually locked itself to naming rights before the nephew discovered his first pube. 

Closet Woody Johnson shill. I knew it. 

The other problem, besides Woody only trying once every 10 years, is that the evaluation of the QB is way off

Aaron Rodgers is no longer the top QB in the league. Not even close. He's paid like it

Everyone in this thread is thinking about Aaron Rodgers of a few years ago. 

but if you were drafting a fantasy team in 2023 you wouldn't take Aaron Rodgers super high in your draft

he declined hard last year and it's a dream to expect him to recapture MVP form at 40 

he's getting older and more brittle and the whole thing is going to end up like Favre or Vinny T 

If they were going to go all out for the best QB on the market they'd be going after Lamar 

I appreciate they are trying, honestly I do. But this GM can't scout QBs worth a damn. 

James Morgan, Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and old Aaron Rodgers 

it's not such a hot list 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The other problem, besides Woody only trying once every 10 years, is that the evaluation of the QB is way off

Aaron Rodgers is no longer the top QB in the league. Not even close. He's paid like it

Everyone in this thread is thinking about Aaron Rodgers of a few years ago. 

but if you were drafting a fantasy team in 2023 you wouldn't take Aaron Rodgers super high in your draft

he declined hard last year and it's a dream to expect him to recapture MVP form at 40 

he's getting older and more brittle and the whole thing is going to end up like Favre or Vinny T 

If they were going to go all out for the best QB on the market they'd be going after Lamar 

I appreciate they are trying, honestly I do. But this GM can't scout QBs worth a damn. 

James Morgan, Joe Flacco, Zach Wilson and old Aaron Rodgers 

it's not such a hot list 

Someone doth protest too much.

image.png

You love him. 

• Haha 1

These leaks are being strategically done by the Packers to temper fan expectations.  It started off that they wanted a Russell Wilson type deal, then leaked that they had to have the 1st in 2023. And now it's a 2nd in 2023 and a conditional 2nd in 2024 with the argument being over a possible 2025 pick if Rodgers retires.  They keep leaking worse and worse compensation. 

The real deal is probably a 2nd this year and a conditional 3rd next year with no 2025 protection if Rodgers retires. They can say they got a round less in 2024 so they didn't have to give the pick up in 2025 in order to spin it to look like a win. The Packers fans will eat it up bc they're dumb. 

Right now this is all about tempering expectations.  Guten**** did it yesterday with saying they don't need a 1st round pick and La****Face did it today with his comments about Love. 

• Upvote 1

So funny, some of these responses. Has anyone seen some of our 2nd round picks through the years? Heck, even 1st round picks. And now we are giving up way too much (mortgaging the future? lol) to get a 4 time MVP and a chance at a playoff run or two. Compared to signing an average QB for a longer term and being average for the next 5 years. Some of you really make no sense in your argument. Personally think you will hate anything the Jets do. This is excitement that we have rarely had through the years. Big time players and free agents wanting to play for us. Sure, it might not work out. But at least we are attempting to make our team better. 

Mortgaging the future would be sending 2 first round picks and 200 million guaranteed, to an often injured descending QB, who has never won. 

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

So funny, some of these responses. Has anyone seen some of our 2nd round picks through the years? Heck, even 1st round picks. And now we are giving up way too much (mortgaging the future? lol) to get a 4 time MVP and a chance at a playoff run or two. Compared to signing an average QB for a longer term and being average for the next 5 years. Some of you really make no sense in your argument. Personally think you will hate anything the Jets do. This is excitement that we have rarely had through the years. Big time players and free agents wanting to play for us. Sure, it might not work out. But at least we are attempting to make our team better. 

Mortgaging the future would be sending 2 first round picks and 200 million guaranteed, to an often injured descending QB, who has never won. 

Why pay more than you have to?

The Packers have zero alternatives.

And the more premium draft capital you keep in '23 and '24, the better chance you have of actually winning it all in '23 and '24 with AR.

36 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

He skates from item to item, the only constant is his dislike for Woody.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Exactly 

he tried, they got the Zach pick wrong.  If he was halfway decent we easily make the playoffs this past year.

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i'm not really worried about the 2 second rounders. I am worried about the 50-70 mil in dead cap 

but really it's not about my worries it's like year 1-4 of JD was just a waste of time 

they should be trying every year not just when JD is up for a new contract 

wait, make up your mind.  the Zach pick was from Woody to keep the Jetblue sponsorship alive according to you.

can't blame JD for that in that scenario.

But you will.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

2 games should haunt you (and all of us)

Should have hired Doug Pederson, too.

Tanking for Trevor Lawrence was the most patently obvious move to make.

Instead we had to watch Gase, Mann, Darnold and Gore kill off the Jets' future with a meaningless win here in LA.

Then we hear for months from the insufferable blowhards like Orlovsky how ZW was the next Mahomes because of gaudy COVID numbers vs Rockland Community College and some stupid pro day throw against air.

But it is what it is.

Too late now.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

wait, make up your mind.  the Zach pick was from Woody to keep the Jetblue sponsorship alive according to you.

can't blame JD for that in that scenario.

But you will.

Good point.

Also, I'm not sure what all of this fussing is about, Bit let us all know years ago that Woody would never pay top dollar for someone like Aaron Rodgers, anyway!!!