Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

The longer this goes on the more intrigued I get of the idea of trading for Stafford instead.

Just turned 35. I’d imagine is hungry after an injury. Wants to prove he’s not done. For his skill set 30mill isn’t awful. Roll with him for 3 years and make a few runs perhaps. Keep our draft picks and continue the building through the draft. Stafford Ss contract comes off the books when we have to start paying these picks and draft a developmental guy next year.

LAR traded Ramsey for a 3rd. Hard to imagine they’d want a crazy package for Stafford at 35 and his contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, ptisme said:

If he retires they eat his cap.   If he gets traded they eat the cap.   matters not.   You think if he gets traded to the niners he won't play for Shanahan and miss out on that second ring?   Chances of the niners winning the SB with Rodgers are way better than his chances with the Jets.

SF seems like a desirable destination for him from my perspective. I said early during this process they were the one team that worried me if GB was willing to trade w/in conference. But then there's the fact that a-rod explicitly said he didn't want to play for them a while ago. No idea how serious he was about that.

Matters not? So the Packers are willing to not trade him where he wants to go and have him retire and get nothing instead of getting good compensation? Seems dumb.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

SF seems like a desirable destination for him from my perspective. I said early during this process they were the one team that worried me if GB was willing to trade w/in conference. But then there's the fact that a-rod explicitly said he didn't want to play for them a while ago. No idea how serious he was about that.

Matters not? So the Packers are willing to not trade him where he wants to go and have him retire and get nothing instead of getting good compensation? Seems dumb.

Well it’s a risk you take when applying leverage.  No more dumb than saying: “we’ll walk away and roll with Zach”

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It seems dumb because it is dumb. 

“the jets won’t give us exactly what we want so let’s get nothing instead!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The longer this goes on the more intrigued I get of the idea of trading for Stafford instead.

Just turned 35. I’d imagine is hungry after an injury. Wants to prove he’s not done. For his skill set 30mill isn’t awful. Roll with him for 3 years and make a few runs perhaps. Keep our draft picks and continue the building through the draft. Stafford Ss contract comes off the books when we have to start paying these picks and draft a developmental guy next year.

LAR traded Ramsey for a 3rd. Hard to imagine they’d want a crazy package for Stafford at 35 and his contract.

https://www.sportscasting.com/matthew-stafford-contract-rams-cant-trade-qb-want-to/

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It seems dumb because it is dumb. 

“the jets won’t give us exactly what we want so let’s get nothing instead!”

Isn’t that what jets fans are doing by saying screw it we’ll start Zach again?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What does SF give them thats good compensation? If we are to believe the Jets are offering a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year, then SF cant come close to that. SF isnt trading a 1st in 2024 knowing Rodgers might not even play more than 1 year, and they dont have a 1st or 2nd this year. So it’s a late 3rd this year and what, a player? Craig Carton has everyone scrambling. He is a clueless clown and Jets fans are buying it. Pathetic. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

Isn’t that what jets fans are doing by saying screw it we’ll start Zach again?

Sure, but that’s just as stupid. 

The point is that there will be compromise - neither GM will be as stubborn as silly fans on the internet 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Stafford is just a better version of Jameis Winston.  Pass. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Well it’s a risk you take when applying leverage.  No more dumb than saying: “we’ll walk away and roll with Zach”

except - Zach isn't the only option. 

If your options are take nothing and the cap hit or take something (which is actually pretty good draft capital) - well - I guess if you're from Wisconsin I get it.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

No because as much hatred as there is towards Zach he is still a developing qb... Gb will be stuck getting nothing for there HOF qb that isn't retiring... So he will either play for the jets or gb... 

So now play the scenario where jets are 'stuck' with ZW and an actual veteran OC and GB is 'stuck' with having to decide whether to bench Rodgers or not... Not going to end well... Incase you packers fans don't realize... He said he is Not retiring... And will go to gb if he is forced... Then gb is stuck with 2 more years or salary cap problems and no compensation.. 

You guys are going g on the assumption he is going to retire... He won't especially if they don't trade him where he wants... Don't be delusional... Not trading him creates more problems next year and 2025

Please follow along.   I didn’t suggest he would retire.  Someone else did.  

• Thumb Down 1

32 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

No because as much hatred as there is towards Zach he is still a developing qb... Gb will be stuck getting nothing for there HOF qb that isn't retiring... So he will either play for the jets or gb... 

So now play the scenario where jets are 'stuck' with ZW and an actual veteran OC and GB is 'stuck' with having to decide whether to bench Rodgers or not... Not going to end well... Incase you packers fans don't realize... He said he is Not retiring... And will go to gb if he is forced... Then gb is stuck with 2 more years or salary cap problems and no compensation.. 

You guys are going g on the assumption he is going to retire... He won't especially if they don't trade him where he wants... Don't be delusional... Not trading him creates more problems next year and 2025

06366C43-5B9D-4AC1-80F6-8573B8B09A3D.png

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Please follow along.   I didn’t suggest he would retire.  Someone else did.  

So sorry I couldn't distinguish between the few random GB trolls that have since joined the site in the last few weeks... 

Jesus dude... Get a ******* grip... The same answer still applies to your garbage arguments... 

• Sympathy 1

What we know:

Rodgers says he intends to play for the Jets.

The Packers are moving on. They let Jets meet with him, a player under contract. They are trying to get best compensation they can. 

The Jets want Rodgers and trying to give the least compensation they can. The Jets have no interest in any other QB and have respected the Packers by being respectful to the negotiations. 

There really is no deadline, other than the draft where the Packers would prefer picks this year. 

NOTHING else that ANYONE is reporting or anything said in these forums is anything but literally guessing/hoping/conjecturing. There are no leaks. No other teams have met with Rodgers  No other team has one of AR’s favorite coaches, favorite receivers, and wants him. 

• Upvote 4

That GB media is relentless trying to convince us since the beginning that they. Have all the leverage. It's painfully obvious now they have none. Trying to everything they can and see what sticks. 

Rogers goes for a conditional third rouder folks. My source had been right the whole way once again . GB has the offer what Joe thought was fair. The argument has always been this is combo of money as I told you when the media still thought it was a Rogers issue. Green Bay is going to deal just a meter of time. This sf story like everything else is make believe.

In joe we trust

Screenshot_20230404-194944.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Jets want Packers to take on money (or give up something in return) if they’re going to give up premium unconditional picks, otherwise they want several escalators/conditions governing future compensation; Packers want Jets to take on money + give up premium unconditional picks. I guess recent reporting suggests that they’re closer? Not really sure but eventually they’re going to have to find a middle ground 

My guess: Jets wind up giving #42/43, a conditional 2024 2nd that can become a 1st, and Corey Davis. Packers send Aaron Rodgers and a 4th (#116). Jets and Packers give up attempts to collect additional money from each other, Packers get tighter conditions on team awards only (meaning no returning compensation if Rodgers were to retire after the season) and Jets get a day 3 pick this year instead of a potential future conditional pick being tied to whether Rodgers plays 1 or multiple years. Essentially 2 second-round picks for Rodgers and a fourth-round pick for Davis. 

Wow.  Corey Davis, 2 high seconds and 1st plus a horrible contract?

A bright future or mortgage it with this squad? 

gross.  

See if Wilson is better.   Sign a vet.  Tank if it starts rough.  That’s what would be better for the team than that deal.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

gross.  

See if Wilson is better.   Sign a vet.  Tank if it starts rough.  That’s what would be better for the team than that deal.  

No…. One of the 2nd rd picks a conditional pick next year, send David and that contract.  If Rodgers doesn’t play 2nd yr jets get a pick if not nothing….Douglas wants little bit in return if Rodgers walks after next year.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

gross.  

I think he meant one of the second round picks, not both. 

also, not sure why you wrote a “1st” instead of what it actually said (“a second that can become a first”). 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Jets want Packers to take on money (or give up something in return) if they’re going to give up premium unconditional picks, otherwise they want several escalators/conditions governing future compensation; Packers want Jets to take on money + give up premium unconditional picks. I guess recent reporting suggests that they’re closer? Not really sure but eventually they’re going to have to find a middle ground 

My guess: Jets wind up giving #42/43, a conditional 2024 2nd that can become a 1st, and Corey Davis. Packers send Aaron Rodgers and a 4th (#116). Jets and Packers give up attempts to collect additional money from each other, Packers get tighter conditions on team awards only (meaning no returning compensation if Rodgers were to retire after the season) and Jets get a day 3 pick this year instead of a potential future conditional pick being tied to whether Rodgers plays 1 or multiple years. Essentially 2 second-round picks for Rodgers and a fourth-round pick for Davis. 

My guess is the actual trade will be very close to this

12 hours ago, JetPotato said:

It's a complete fabrication

I know there's been a debate here about how the GB fans could influence the Packers front office, but IMO nothing would piss off the Packers fans more than seeing Rodgers go to a stacked NFC rival like the 49ers....

• Upvote 1

It doesn't take much for a GM in the NFL to get sh*t canned. If the perception is the Packers got too little for Rodgers, then Rodgers plays like he did 2 years ago and then the Love experiment fails miserably I'm not sure how the GM survives that. Not being in thin ice right now means close to nothing. 

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think he meant one of the second round picks, not both. 

also, not sure why you wrote a “1st” instead of what it actually said (“a second that can become a first”). 

42 OR 43 is much better.  Those 2 picks together are worth 17 or something like that IIRC.  

3 hours ago, ptisme said:

Rodgers has to agree to any trade bc nobody is going to trade for Rodgers without him winning to go there.  So unless Rodgers comes out and says he's willing to accept a trade somewhere else then this discussion is silly. 

And if you think Rodgers is going to do any favors for GB you're crazy. They're going to trade him to the Jets one way or another. I'm still in the camp that the Jets don't budge and let the 2023 draft go by. Then we can talk about leverage as their hopes of 2023 picks go by and that $60 million check gets closer and closer. 

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That GB media is relentless trying to convince us since the beginning that they. Have all the leverage. It's painfully obvious now they have none. Trying to everything they can and see what sticks. 

Rogers goes for a conditional third rouder folks. My source had been right the whole way once again . GB has the offer what Joe thought was fair. The argument has always been this is combo of money as I told you when the media still thought it was a Rogers issue. Green Bay is going to deal just a meter of time. This sf story like everything else is make believe.

In joe we trust

Screenshot_20230404-194944.png

The only thing Aaron Rodgers actually said about the 49ers was he was NOT going to play there. Repeat. He said he is not going there. And yes, he does have a say in where he goes.  So Craig Carton can lie and make up sh*t, I would tend to believe what Rodgers has said for many years and said just a couple weeks ago. And also tend to think that the Packers making a side deal with the 49ers without Rodgers involved and for lower compensation, makes no ******* sense. 

• Upvote 1

This Si.com article quotes "Green Bay Packers insider, Craig Carton." I cannot stop laughing. 

The 49ers Reportedly Could Trade for Aaron Rodgers if the Jets Don't

Take that, Robert Saleh.

In this story: San Francisco 49ers

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Aaron Rodgers says he wants to play for the Jets, but the Jets haven't traded for him yet.

And if the Jets fail to do so, the 49ers could swoop in and trade for him instead according to Green Bay Packers insider Craig Carton. Here's what Carton said Tuesday on FS1.

"Aaron Rodgers would absolutely want to play for this franchise, and the franchise is the San Francisco 49ers. They have Trey Lance coming off a broken ankle. They've got Brock Purdy, who's not going to be throwing the ball until August or September. And they signed Sam Darnold. They do not have a (franchise) quarterback right now. Maybe Trey becomes a stud -- we don't know. Aaron Rodgers is from the area and has always said he might want to go home one day. Now, he famously also said he wants to stick it to San Francisco for not drafting me. Well he already has done that. So here's the reality: San Francisco does not have a first-round draft pick in this draft -- they gave them all away to get Trey Lance. They do however, because of compensatory picks, have three third-round picks. So the conversation has been multiple third-round picks in this draft and a first-round pick in next year's draft."

Trading for Aaron Rodgers would make a ton of sense for the 49ers, because they see themselves as a Super Bowl contenders even though they don't have a franchise quarterback. Most Super Bowl contenders have franchise quarterbacks, and Rodgers certainly qualifies.

At the recent owners meetings, Kyle Shanahan and Jed York both said they want to have young quarterbacks on rookie deals so they can keep their dominant defense intact. I'm guessing they'll sacrifice their defense for Rodgers. And if they wouldn't, they should.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, football guy said:

Seems we’re losing out in that trade. So we give up a high second this year and a 2nd at best next year. That could turn into a 1st. Not sure what those conditions are… but if we’re not getting any protection on AR only playing 1 year. Those conditions should only be to make it to the SB this year for it to go to a 1. But I imagine that’s optimistic. I’ve read that it could go to a 1st with us just hosting any home playoff game and stuff. Meaning if we’re good next year and maybe are 1 and done in the playoffs… we gave up 42 or 43 and a 1st for AR and a 4th for possibly only 1 season with no protection to that.

GB HUGELY wins this trade if that’s the case.

There’s 1 and only 1 way that trade becomes worth it and that’s a SB. Anything else and that trade is a loss for us. That 2024 pick shouldn’t become a 1st easily at all. That’s the only way this trade is meeting in the middle for us at all. Trading a 2nd and 1st for a 39/40yr old with an awful contract that you have to pay for 4 years likely and have no commitment beyond 1 season is TERRIBLE business.