Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Just now, y2k8 said:

If Rodgers plays for the 49ers, they are immediately the favorites in the NFC and their picks would all be late rounders. I just don't see them being able to offer more than the Jets will. Nevermind that the 49ers play in the same conference. 

Right. I don't think they can realistically offer as much as the Jets unless they are including players. 

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Yeah, but you have to remember, this fan base more than any other has a stronger voice and they've got to be sold on this...Packer fans own the Packers.

Not really.   The team is run by Murphy.   For all intents and purposes he’s a de facto owner.   Fans have no say

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

How? the Jets can do the same deal but give them 42 or 43 this year. 42 beats any of SF's 3rd round picks. 

I don't disagree, but maybe JD is not offering that much.  It seems to be a fair price for a team that is otherwise loaded.

Just now, ptisme said:

That last paragraph is a terrible take.   The jets have the leverage before the draft.   If the draft comes and goes GB can sit on him all summer.   And don’t think for a second that just because Favre came in at the last second and was great that Rodgers will be.   This is a way more complicated offense that becomes twice as hard because Rodgers runs his own version of it.   He needs time with all these players (and including the OLINE not named Lazard

1) Strongly disagree - GB isn't waiting to trade Rodgers all summer, lol. Rodgers can call their bluff and show up to their training camp. Don't see them letting that happen. 

2) No, the bolded is a terrible take.  Favre came here in August with an OC/offense he had no experience with. Rodgers won MVPs in 2020 and 2021 with the Jets current OC. 

Just now, varjet said:

I don't disagree, but maybe JD is not offering that much.  It seems to be a fair price for a team that is otherwise loaded.

Right, but my point is that he easily can. So, if the Jets want Rodgers and the only thing standing in their way is outbidding SF,  they'll get him. 

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm telling you, if the Packers don't have a decent season, there is a decent chance Gutekunst and LaFleur aren't here in 2024. There is a sense out here that this regime has peaked (Gutekunst got here in 2018) and also alienated their all time QB. They either need to have a decent season or Love has to show really good potential, IMO. 

Zero chance of this.    With Rodgers gone the GM gets a few years to rebuild

There's no chance that you wouldn't have heard by now if San Francisco can been granted permission to speak to Aaron Rodgers about a trade/contract restructure. 

Would not send the best message to their young QBs, either.

Complete lie produced here by Carton, who I'm sure league execs are falling all over themselves to give exclusive scoops to. ?

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To each their own.

If I'm GB's GM, I'm asking for the Jets 2024 #1 (non negotiable), and a conditional #3 that escalated to a #2 if the Rodgers plays X # of games and the Jets make the postseason, plus more.

Load up in 2024 hard, to either support Love with a refresh/rebuild as needed, or to have the ammo to replace Love with the #1 overall QB prospect.

2023 isn't some super meaningful year for GB, a win or everyone gets fired type year.  GB's management is pretty comfortable right now, all things considered.  No hot seats here.  Not like us, for example...

If I'm JD and you demand the 2024 #1 + some more, I double dare you to go ahead and pay the disruptive Rodgers who doesn't want to be there and is a gigantic PITA his $59M for '23.   Your move.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right. I don't think they can realistically offer as much as the Jets unless they are including players. 

Considering their roster, they could probably put together a better offer than us on players alone, but the Packers have been pretty adamant about not trading Rodgers within the NFC.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Considering their roster, they could probably put together a better offer than us on players alone, but the Packers have been pretty adamant about not trading Rodgers within the NFC.

agreed there, but also, the point of the SB ready team getting the QB is to not gut the roster to do it. I guess it all depends on who they would be willing to give up. Sounds a little far fetched based on everything they have said. I think you need one of these teams to request to speak to Rodgers before it gets interesting. 

• Post of the Week 1

Rodgers isn't going anywhere he doesn't want to go to.  No team will trade for him if he doesn't want to play for them.  So far he has only said he wants to play for the Jets.  He still holds a grudge against SF for passing on him.  He said himself a few months ago that he "isn't going to SF" so i doubt he would want to go there.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is like a game of Texas Hold Em.

The Packers were dealt an off suit 2-7 to start the process, they were playing against only one other player that being the Jets and the Jets had a huge stack lead.  A situation where the Jets should be able to play bully and win the hand easily.

All it would take would be a bit of pressure with a bet, any bet to start by the Jets and the Packers fold.

But the Jets check for some reason.  Packers say, hey fine we will check as well.

Up comes the flop and it really doesn't help the Packers at all, once again any small bet by the Jets and the Packers fold.

The Jets check again and the Packers just smile and say, hey if you are not pressuring us no reason to fold.

Then the Jets and Aaron Rodgers for unknown reasons actually flip over their hole cards for all to see and say "We win!" and start grabbing for the chips.  The Packers slap their hands and say, the hand is not over with  the Turn card comes up and both check again.  Why?  Well the Jets have turned up their cards which are now weak and the packers have always had weak hole cards.

The River card comes up and they end up having to split the pot.  All because the Jets refused to bet earlier on.

terrible analogy

2 hours ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

More click bait for the jailbird and his morning show

I normally hop on here to give you guys grief about stuff...but I wouldn't get too riled up about this one. 

Craig Carton has literally been convicted of fraud.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

terrible analogy

Excellent analogy.

The jets held all the cards and had all the options.  They and Rodgers screwed around for weeks because, hey the packers have zero leverage.

They actually declared he was going to the jets before any compensation was agreed to.  Then it is a huge surprise that the packers are actually going to make things difficult, and why can the packers makes things difficult?  the jets and Rodgers 100% tipped their hand that they had no other options, all the options dried up.

And here we are, what was once "Ha ha the packers have no leverage we will give them a 4th this year and maybe if they are lucky a conditional 3rd next year"  is now "Well we will give them two seconds at least and maybe we can get them to give us back some pick if Rodgers retires after one year."

When this all said and done the narrative will be "Well it is not ideal but it is what it is and we have Rodgers!"

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Rodgers isn't going anywhere he doesn't want to go to.  No team will trade for him if he doesn't want to play for them.  So far he has only said he wants to play for the Jets.  He still holds a grudge against SF for passing on him.  He said himself a few months ago that he "isn't going to SF" so i doubt he would want to go there.

He explained that comment a few weeks later.

It was meant as a joke in response to an earlier comment (which wasn't picked up on mic).  He said he "isn't going to San Fran" because he knew the guy he was replying to was a 9ers fan.

I mean none of this matters since GB isn't about to trade him to an NFC rival.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Excellent analogy.

The jets held all the cards and had all the options.  They and Rodgers screwed around for weeks because, hey the packers have zero leverage.

They actually declared he was going to the jets before any compensation was agreed to.  Then it is a huge surprise that the packers are actually going to make things difficult, and why can the packers makes things difficult?  the jets and Rodgers 100% tipped their hand that they had no other options, all the options dried up.

And here we are, what was once "Ha ha the packers have no leverage we will give them a 4th this year and maybe if they are lucky a conditional 3rd next year"  is now "Well we will give them two seconds at least and maybe we can get them to give us back some pick if Rodgers retires after one year."

When this all said and done the narrative will be "Well it is not ideal but it is what it is and we have Rodgers!"

To use your analogy, the Jets don't have a huge chip lead here...and they were pot committed the second they signed Lazard. 

And the Packers don't have 2-7. They have a weak ace.

3 minutes ago, HotSauce said:

I normally hop on here to give you guys grief about stuff...but I wouldn't get too riled up about this one. 

Craig Carton has literally been convicted of fraud.

haha exactly

Further let me add this:

Saleh is best buds with Shanahan and has significant and deep ties to the San Fran organization. Does anyone in the right mind believe SF can even quietly ponder acquiring Rodgers without NY knowing? There is a reason why Saleh, JD and Woody said they were in no rush at the owner's meeting. Because they know there are no other suitors and never will be. It is highly likely this was put out into the media by GB to try to scare NY into upping the offer.

Here's what I think happened:

1. At the owner's meeting, NY told GB this is our best and final offer

2. GB told NY we'll wait and try to do better

3. Gute goes on to do an interview at owner's meeting telling the world they're not necessarily looking for a 1 and the price has come down in a desperate attempt to drum up another suitor and possibly initiate a bidding war

4. Nobody, to our collective knowledge, has yet to take the bait but all parties are probably willing to wait until the draft to give GB every opportunity to find another bid

5. New flash, it won't happen, Rodgers will be traded to NY a few days prior to the draft

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

If I'm JD and you demand the 2024 #1 + some more, I double dare you to go ahead and pay the disruptive Rodgers who doesn't want to be there and is a gigantic PITA his $59M for '23.   Your move.

And I'd tell you "best of luck with Zach Wilson in 2023, send me your resume once Woody fires you, I always have a spot for a guy who can make copies on the copier, lol".

The worst-case for GB is a cap problem and a HOF QB starting for them till they want Love to start.  Trouble, sure, but not a killer, winning wise certainly.

The worst case for the NYJ is Zach Wilson starting because all the real options are gone now, which gets everyone fired and a new rebuild started.

Your move.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And I'd tell you "best of luck with Zach Wilson in 2023, send me your resume once Woody fires you, I always have a spot for a guy who can make copies on the copier, lol".

The worst-case for GB is a cap problem and a HOF QB starting for them till they want Love to start.  Trouble, sure, but not a killer, winning wise certainly.

The worst case for the NYJ is Zach Wilson starting because all the real options are gone now, which gets everyone fired and a new rebuild started.

Your move.

Rodgers doesn't want to be there, though. Wouldn't he just retire? 

They are gonna trade him before all that, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Rodgers doesn't want to be there, though. Wouldn't he just retire? 

They are gonna trade him before all that, IMO. 

Why is he going to retire and not scoop up 60 million dollars?   He'll just show up and get paid not to play or he will make it very uncomfortable for Love and the packers.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Agreed.   I would think maybe New England but I doubt the niners

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Your move.

This is why you fire Gute and Murphy-the logical answer for this roster would have been to keep Rodgers and trade Love.  that is how you get another first round pick.  I would give 13 for Love.  Why not?  

The Jets have alot of contracts that can be fixed to move cap space into future years.  JD said it at the meetings.  I did not think GB had that flexibility, but maybe they do if they would trade the deadcap hit for trading Rodgers vs. the $16mm this year to keep him.  

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I guess it depends on who you ask. 

I live in Wisconsin - I don't get that impression so much

I’m literally hearing from no where they Gute is on thin ice.   Send me the link if you’ve got some reporting.   

1 minute ago, varjet said:

This is why you fire Gute and Murphy-the logical answer for this roster would have been to keep Rodgers and trade Love.  that is how you get another first round pick.  I would give 13 for Love.  Why not?  

The Jets have alot of contracts that can be fixed to move cap space into future years.  JD said it at the meetings.  I did not think GB had that flexibility, but maybe they do if they would trade the deadcap hit for trading Rodgers vs. the $16mm this year to keep him.  

I think MLF is looking forward to seeing his offense being run.   Love is the starter

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why is he going to retire and not scoop up 60 million dollars?   He'll just show up and get paid not to play or he will make it very uncomfortable for Love and the packers.

He might.   And that would be bad.   But do you think Rodgers will want to sit on the sideline on Sundays watching Love play.   The cameras are constantly on him.   Or worse he’s on the team and inactive on game days.   This guy wants to continue to rack up stats and win another Lombardi to cement his legacy

3 hours ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

More click bait for the jailbird and his morning show

The whole NFL is operating as if the Rodgers to the Jets deal is done because it is. 

That’s where he wants to play.  If the Packers try to play games by trading him elsewhere he just retires first and the Packers are screwed on the cap.

JD and the Jets just literally need to sit there until the Packers come back to the table on the Jets terms or the Packers can also sabotage this season just to spite Rodgers ??‍♂️ maybe it’s that ugly.

Point of this rare post of late is don’t get sucked into Carton’s nonsense here, he is just trying to stir up the easiest fans in the world to stir for his show nothing else.