Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

JD should pivot to Lamar asap that’s how he assures himself he gets a QB that can take the team to the SB. 

I’m not sure I understand the reticence to give up first round picks for established mvp level qbs, given the draft capital, lack of options, time to develop and risk involved with drafting s QB.

either get a proven mvp caliber qb and pay for it or go for the garapolos of the world.

and re Lamar injury risk — there’s injury risk involved anywhere, for any QB. 

what you don’t do is waste this once in a lifetime window with the defense and new weapons on O with all of the rookie deals and good signings. 

this is the time jet fans to blow that load on any of the top QBs that btw are NEVER available. JD should try to max value but should not play games end of day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vader said:

JD should pivot to Lamar asap that’s how he assures himself he gets a QB that can take the team to the SB. 

I’m not sure I understand the reticence to give up first round picks for established mvp level qbs, given the draft capital, lack of options, time to develop and risk involved with drafting s QB.

either get a proven mvp caliber qb and pay for it or go for the garapolos of the world.

what you don’t do is waste this once in a lifetime window with the defense and new weapons on O with all of the rookie deals and good signings. 

this is the time jet fans to blow that load on any of the top QBs that btw are NEVER available. JD should try to max value but should not play games end of day. 

No one is reticent to give up  first round picks for lamar jackson.

The issues are as follows.

He wants the Deshaun Watson contract, if he gets it that it is now 100% the leagues standard, call it collusion or what you will but GMs do not want to deal with this from here on out.

Lamar Jacksons has been getting hurt and thus issue with a fully guaranteed contract.

Lamar Jackson is a good throwing QB but what makes lamar lamar is his running threat, if he or the team wants to mitigate injuries he does not run and is not lamar

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No one is reticent to give up  first round picks for lamar jackson.

The issues are as follows.

He wants the Deshaun Watson contract, if he gets it that it is now 100% the leagues standard, call it collusion or what you will but GMs do not want to deal with this from here on out.

Lamar Jacksons has been getting hurt and thus issue with a fully guaranteed contract.

Lamar Jackson is a good throwing QB but what makes lamar lamar is his running threat, if he or the team wants to mitigate injuries he does not run and is not lamar

Lamar Jackson is just fine as a pocket passer imo. Zach Wilson gets hurt tripping on a tuft of grass, Mike white on a divot in the turf, garroppolo by a gust of wind. Should I go on?

they are all a risk to get hurt.

the window is now, get the QB. And btw my post indicates beginning to pursue LJ will resolve the AR situation first…

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Lamar Jackson is just fine as a pocket passer imo. Zach Wilson gets hurt tripping on a tuft of grass, Mike white on a divot in the turf, garroppolo by a gust of wind. Should I go on?

the window is now, get the QB. And btw my post indicates beginning to pursue LJ will resolve the AR situation first…

No he isn't.  Lamar is not Tom Brady, or aaron rodgers.  To be mvp lamar he has to make big plays with his legs.  He may be an average to below average QB as a pocket passer.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No he isn't.  Lamar is not Tom Brady, or aaron rodgers.  To be mvp lamar he has to make big plays with his legs.  He may be an average to below average QB as a pocket passer.

He doesn't have to be Brady or Rodgers to be fine in the pocket. Or rather no one is saying he's Brady or Rodgers in the pocket.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

they are all a risk to get hurt.

wouldn't surprise me if we pivot to lamar if Aaron doesn't work out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wouldn't surprise me if we pivot to lamar if Aaron doesn't work out.

Agree - but unless JD gives him close to or 100% guaranteed money, Ravens will match if it is a reasonable contract.

I just don't see JD going with the high guarantee.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I’m just gonna be honest here.  This is taking a little longer than I hoped.

This is zero surprise to me.  I knew that Rodgers would 100% drag it out as long as he could.   Now I think we are past that and the Packers knowing the Jets are DESPERATE are putting the squeeze for a big return on the trade.  Once Woody started getting heavily involved in this the Packers GM knows he can hold out.

I just hope the Jets have an actual exit strategy in this, it appears they do not and if that is the case be ready to wince when we see what they give up.

Just now, Trotter said:

Agree - but unless JD gives him close to or 100% guaranteed money, Ravens will match if it is a reasonable contract.

it's an oddball situation. I don't like the idea of giving him that contract given his recent injury history but I think I like that idea more than the next option.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No.
He’s not average. Get a grip b-fish. And I’m not going to debate LJs bona fides 

Bottom line: jets need to be open to options because 

a) it immediately creates leverage intended to break the AR impasse. When GB sees JD entertain his best alternative to a negotiated agreement with them, that WILL force the issue. This is how negotiations work.

b) there is a legitimate window for this team over the next 3 years. That’s what JD is looking at. A real championship window with one final piece. This almost never happens and came almost out of the blue.

c) they can not wind up starting a QB that is reason they don’t make it.

at this point it’s bargaining 101. Create a market. There’s supply to draw on for leverage. Again if it’s GB playing hardball, this should have been done days ago.

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

it's an oddball situation. I don't like the idea of giving him that contract given his recent injury history but I think I like that idea more than the next option.

Actually - let's play this out because I honestly do not know all of the tag rules.

Let's say JD offers 5 years 230 with 175 guaranteed. The ravens match the offer but Lamar refuses the deal.

Does he still play 2023 under the original tag number?  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fine?  For a 100% guaranteed highest paid QB in the league contract?

There is a price that sometimes has to be paid. this is one price. You are not comfortable paying it. I get it. 

10 minutes ago, Trotter said:

It’s in the Jets interest to do this anyway. Keeping Lamar in Baltimore and driving the contract up keeps him out of Miami. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

40 minutes ago, Vader said:

I agree with you, the time is now to swing big for a quarterback, be it Aaron Rodgers or Lamar Jackson. Going out and getting Jimmy Garoppolo just doesn't do it for me. I wanted Derek Carr because I thought we could keep building through the draft and surround him with a great team that would get to the playoffs a bunch, and who knows once you get there. I think Lamar would make the Jets very fun to watch and give us a chance to contend for a Super Bowl over the course of the next 5 years...that window to contend is something you don't get with Aaron Rodgers. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree with you, the time is now to swing big for a quarterback, be it Aaron Rodgers or Lamar Jackson. Going out and getting Jimmy Garoppolo just doesn't do it for me. I wanted Derek Carr because I thought we could keep building through the draft and surround him with a great team that would get to the playoffs a bunch, and who knows once you get there. I think Lamar would make the Jets very fun to watch and give us a chance to contend for a Super Bowl over the course of the next 5 years...that window to contend is something you don't get with Aaron Rodgers. 

The most important point I made was signaling to GB yesterday a willingness to consider alternatives. That in and of itself would move the needle one way or another….

People don’t get it because they don’t know what negotiating is but that’s reality. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

The burning of that cheesehead is moronic and if anything probably irritates AR than anything. 

The vid is just cringe 

Rodgers, like most people from WI, gives zeros effs about a piece of foam out of state packers fans wear to Lambeau

17 minutes ago, Vader said:

No.
He’s not average. Get a grip b-fish. And I’m not going to debate LJs bona fides 

Bottom line: jets need to be open to options because 

a) it immediately creates leverage intended to break the AR impasse. When GB sees JD entertain his best alternative to a negotiated agreement with them, that WILL force the issue. This is how negotiations work.

b) there is a legitimate window for this team over the next 3 years. That’s what JD is looking at. A real championship window with one final piece. This almost never happens and came almost out of the blue.

c) they can not wind up starting a QB that is reason they don’t make it.

at this point it’s bargaining 101. Create a market. There’s supply to draw on for leverage. Again if it’s GB playing hardball, this should have been done days ago.

I like Lamar Jackson, I was touting him in the draft year saying he was more than a running QB.

Lamar Jackson has done great things so far in his career.

The issues I outlined I stick with. 

I think Running threat and passing threat lamar jackson is an mvp quality QB.

I think the running but injured or no running and pocket passer lamar is not mvp quality.  His top paid in the league fully guaranteed contract means you say good bye to a Breece hall or a garret wilson or a sauch gardner in a few years.

What has made Lamar great is his dual threat and Baltimore designing the offense to fit.  If not , yes he is average.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Vader said:

The most important point I made was signaling to GB yesterday a willingness to consider alternatives. That in and of itself would move the needle one way or another….

People don’t get it because they don’t know what negotiating is but that’s reality. 

I don't ever worry about JD as a negotiator. I believe that is one of JD's strengths. 

• Upvote 1