Hurts signs 5 year 255 mil

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

yes but on other other hand 3 percent of 33 Mil (the franchise tag) is about a Mil

these pennies are millions 

I agree

what I’m saying is that not having an agent may have already cost Lamar tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

I agree

what I’m saying is that not having an agent may have already cost Lamar tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money. 

yeah i get what you're saying too 

it's hypothetical - if he can somehow land the deal himself, he's going to save a lot in fees.

But you're right not having an agent may prevent him from landing the deal himself. Or be harmed by some shady language in the deal he ultimately signs

I see both sides of that. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Devil's advocate here:

-Hurst 165 rushing attempts ( 16 games) in 2022

-Lamar Jackson 185 rushing attempts (projected 17 games) in 2022

That said, the body types are totally different.

Yes Jalen Hurts can probably dead lift an 18 wheeler and take a hit from a Mack truck and get up fine.

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I think Lamar will end up just fine even without the knuckleheads here advising him.

Actually no he won't. No matter what contract he eventually gets he will still make 10s of millions less over his career. Compare to the Josh Allen contract he is already $80 million or so in the hole.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Actually no he won't. No matter what contract he eventually gets he will still make 10s of millions less over his career. Compare to the Josh Allen contract he is already $80 million or so in the hole.

Wow!I didn’t know you could see the future, Johnny. 
Dragons Den Yes GIF by CBC

(I see your point though, and it’s a good one.?)

4 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

it's a little misleading, because hurts was drafted in the 2nd round and wasn't ready to start day/year 1.

as a 2nd round pick, the team did not have a 5th year option they could exercise.  which means he was to hit free agency (or be tagged) after this season (his 4th).  they chose to be proactive and sign him now rather than wait till after the year when the market will explode even further.

but yeah, i kind of would take having my QB draft pick take my team to the super bowl and be in position to be perennial contenders for the foreseeable future.  seems a better route to go than whatever it is the jets have been doing

My point is hitting on a boss QB in the draft doesn't give you some giant window that some seem to think. Once a QB has shown himself to be "the guy" the team will usually early-pay to avoid a Lamar Jackson alienation situation.

Getting a guy through trade or FA is a perfectly acceptable pathway.

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

My point is hitting on a boss QB in the draft doesn't give you some giant window that some seem to think. Once a QB has shown himself to be "the guy" the team will usually early-pay to avoid a Lamar Jackson alienation situation.

Getting a guy through trade or FA is a perfectly acceptable pathway.

well the bengals have gotten a lot out of burrows before having to give him a big contract.  of course, they need to step up to retain him long-term.  but they will get first dibs before he even has the possibility of hitting the market.

and therein lies the rub.  franchise QBs in their prime rarely hit the market.  there's a reason the chiefs locked up mahomes, the bills locked up allen, the eagles locked up hurts, the bengals (unless they are insanely cheap) will lock up burrows, the chargers will lock up herbert, and assuming he progresses, the jags will lock up lawrence.  young franchise QBs don't hit the market too often.

so you can think trading for a franchise QB or getting one is an acceptable pathway.  but it's rare you can just sign one, and trading for one usually comes with a steep cost (and i'm talking a young in-their-prime QB, not getting rodgers at the end of his career).  a team can control a 1st round pick for 7 years between the 5th year option and the franchise tag (can tag twice if need be).

1 hour ago, jetblue95 said:

well the bengals have gotten a lot out of burrows before having to give him a big contract.  of course, they need to step up to retain him long-term.  but they will get first dibs before he even has the possibility of hitting the market.

and therein lies the rub.  franchise QBs in their prime rarely hit the market.  there's a reason the chiefs locked up mahomes, the bills locked up allen, the eagles locked up hurts, the bengals (unless they are insanely cheap) will lock up burrows, the chargers will lock up herbert, and assuming he progresses, the jags will lock up lawrence.  young franchise QBs don't hit the market too often.

so you can think trading for a franchise QB or getting one is an acceptable pathway.  but it's rare you can just sign one, and trading for one usually comes with a steep cost (and i'm talking a young in-their-prime QB, not getting rodgers at the end of his career).  a team can control a 1st round pick for 7 years between the 5th year option and the franchise tag (can tag twice if need be).

Drafting is better but getting one by other means isn’t dog sh*t is what I mean.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Drafting is better but getting one by other means isn’t dog sh*t is what I mean.

well of course getting a franchise QB should be the goal of every team.  but the history seems to support that the best way to get one is to draft one.

of course, league history (and sadly, jets' history) is littered with highly drafted QBs that flop.  but most of the all-time greats became all-time greats for the teams that drafted them.  obviously there are exceptions like drew brees and steve young.  and today, most of the best QBs are on the team that drafted them, and it's rare that one becomes available, at least in the prime of their career.

4 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

well of course getting a franchise QB should be the goal of every team.  but the history seems to support that the best way to get one is to draft one.

of course, league history (and sadly, jets' history) is littered with highly drafted QBs that flop.  but most of the all-time greats became all-time greats for the teams that drafted them.  obviously there are exceptions like drew brees and steve young.  and today, most of the best QBs are on the team that drafted them, and it's rare that one becomes available, at least in the prime of their career.

Everything is just so polarized. It’s either “the best” or “trash.”

Again, draft is better but that does mean other options are “basically Hitler.”

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Everything is just so polarized. It’s either “the best” or “trash.”

Again, draft is better but that does mean other options are “basically Hitler.”

ok

but show me where i stated anything close to what you posted was "trash" or "basically hitler"

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Very unsure how a possible colluding case involving Lamar Jackson would have anything to do with an Eagles signing of Jalen Hurts. They are totally unrelated, different and have the only similar characteristics that they are both QBs.

Hurts just became the highest paid player in football with an overall contract that exceeds Watsons.

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

yeah i get what you're saying too 

it's hypothetical - if he can somehow land the deal himself, he's going to save a lot in fees.

But you're right not having an agent may prevent him from landing the deal himself. Or be harmed by some shady language in the deal he ultimately signs

I see both sides of that. 

as others (and I) have shown, he's already way in the hole compared to Allen.  He was badly advised and pinched pennies.

i wonder if he used an agent to buy or sell his house.

and all the advice he's getting now from lawyers etc - that's not going to be free.  my guess is at least a few hundred k.

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hurts just became the highest paid player in football with an overall contract that exceeds Watsons.

The proposed idea of collusion revolves around a couple of points:

-The fact that Jackson is looking for a totally guaranteed contract. Hurts does not have that. For NFL owners, the Browns set a dangerous precedent in guaranteeing money. That ticked a majority of owners off, and shivers them to their bones. 

-Also there is an idea floated that owners would much rather keep players inside the circle of agents. There is a love/hate relationship with owners and agents. But they serve each other in a way that is beneficial to both. A scratch my back and I will scratch your back ideal.

Billionaires that operate together in collective circles hate when someone steps out of the bounds that they have created. Is it in fact happening? Who knows. They have operated that way in the past. And when billionaires get together in small groups and talk amongst themselves, you can be sure someone is getting screwed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

counterpoint, it would be insane NOT to pay a guy like Jalen Hurts. 

Seriously.  And this guy acts like there's a constant stream of QBs to pick from.  Sure, just let Hurts walk for nothing more than a 3rd round comp pick and pluck another QB from the QB tree.  Brilliant!

• Upvote 1