Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1

It’s fun to think about. With our already great defense and having arguably the best offense in the league with that War group and Hall. But you need an OL.

What I’ve learned in watching drafts my whole life. Is don’t just a draft after each pick and even day. Wait until the draft is done to judge the draft. Let’s say we did draft JSN at 13 and there’s a huge kickback on how we should’ve went OT. What if we draft an OT at 42 who has upside like Harrison. Where that need wasn’t avoided and was still addressed early.

So on the surface I say JSN shouldn’t be the pick at 13 bc we should go OT. But JSN is 100% worthy of the 13th pick and I’d wait to see what we did at OT the rest of the draft before I’d judge the pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I always appreciate someone truncating a paragraphs-long article with a one-sentence post under their screenname in the first reply.

But sure, JSN is good. Can't knock it.

I just don't think the tackle @ 13 is necessarily just about pass protection for Rodgers - I'd argue we want to be a dominant running team and save for 2/3 of Mekhi's rookie year, we have yet to find a tackle that can truly dominate the edge for the outside zone. 

If we found someone that can unlock Breece to the outside I think Rodgers will do fine with what we already have at receiver.

• Upvote 3

At least it would be offense.

But proteting Rodgers > more weapons for Rodgers

Wilson/Lazard/Davis/Hardman/Mims + Hall/Carter/Knght + Conklin/Uzomah/Yeboah/Ruckert should be MORE than enough weapons for a HOF'er like Rodgers.

But playing third sting JAG O-linemen will in fact be fatal to Rodgers here.

As JD wishes, of course, but it'd be soooooooo Jetsy to get Rodgers, draft a WR< then leave him unprotected and scrambling all year till he gets hurt, lol.  So very Jetsy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

HOU just drafted Metchie. They’re not a sure thing to draft a WR in round 1 and WR room isn’t that bad. TEN is more likely IMO.

Metchie is recovering from leukemia. He should play, but that’s kind of scary. 

after that it’s Robert woods and nico collins. 

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

OT at 13 would be fine, but JSN at 13 and OT at 42 would be better.

Trade down with NYG @25(add  #57 & #59) select Harrison or D. Jones.

select DT/C with 42 & 43. Trade 57 for Rodgers.

#87 take either WR Scott/Tank Dell or LB

#112 & #143 fill needed positions 

#207 Developmental Qb

7 picks + Rodgers

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Trade down with NYG @25(add  #57 & #59) select Harrison or D. Jones.

select DT/C with 42 & 43. Trade 57 for Rodgers.

#87 take either WR Scott/Tank Dell or LB

#112 & #143 fill needed positions 

#207 Developmental Qb

7 picks + Rodgers

In what universe are the packers taking #57 ?  

I’m reading that there are 12,13 players with a first round grade in this draft. Why are you so eager to get to the worst value range in the draft?  First round picks have a 50/50 chance of working out, the probabilities in the later rounds plummet.  It’s more bodies, but worse odds that they will stick much less contribute  

In ‘97 Parcells traded out of HOFer Orlando pace and HOFer Walter jones for essentially 4 years of James farrior and dedric ward and scrubs. Shouldn’t that draft had made a dynasty?  It’s the trade down wet dream. It was a disaster. 

1James Farrior 8

2Rick Terry 31

3Dedric Ward 88

4Terry Day 102

4Leon Johnson 104

5Lamont Burns 131

5Raymond Austin 145

6Tim Scharf 164

6Chuck Clements 192

7Steve Rosga 203

7Jason Ferguson 229

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson/Lazard/Davis/Hardman/Mims + Hall/Carter/Knght + Conklin/Uzomah/Yeboah/Ruckert should be MORE than enough weapons for a HOF'er like Rodgers.

As JD wishes, of course, but it'd be soooooooo Jetsy to get Rodgers, draft a WR< then leave him unprotected and scrambling all year till he gets hurt, lol.  So very Jetsy.

Nobody is suggesting the play any JAG O-linemen.  Two more picks in the top 50.  Grab an OT with one of those picks and a center right after or in round 4 if you think Stromberg will be there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

In what universe are the packers taking #57 ?  

I’m reading that there are 12,13 players with a first round grade in this draft. Why are you so eager to get to the worst value range in the draft?  First round picks have a 50/50 chance of working out, the probabilities in the later rounds plummet.  It’s more bodies, but worse odds that they will stick much less contribute  

In ‘97 Parcells traded out of HOFer Orlando pace and HOFer Walter jones for essentially 4 years of James farrior and dedric ward and scrubs. Shouldn’t that draft had made a dynasty?  It’s the trade down wet dream. It was a disaster. 

1James Farrior 8

2Rick Terry 31

3Dedric Ward 88

4Terry Day 102

4Leon Johnson 104

5Lamont Burns 131

5Raymond Austin 145

6Tim Scharf 164

6Chuck Clements 192

7Steve Rosga 203

7Jason Ferguson 229

Had the wrong guy picking the groceries.  Many of Parcells' drafts were on par with the Idzik 12.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

They should but don’t you get the feeling the jets aren’t even considering a receiver at 13? I hope I’m wrong but they didn’t bring in any receivers for visits. Either a deke move or they really have no interest. 

No top 30's but they only had a handful of those.  They spoke to a few WR's at combine or local visits.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I will be surprised if we do not take an O tackle at 13 but I would have no issue at all with Smith-Jiggba at 13.

I'd be pretty surprised too, but it would be the right  move.

47 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Everybody needs to buckle up because Calijah Kancey is the pick at 13

Imagine if they land him at 43.

43 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I always appreciate someone truncating a paragraphs-long article with a one-sentence post under their screenname in the first reply.

But sure, JSN is good. Can't knock it.

I just don't think the tackle @ 13 is necessarily just about pass protection for Rodgers - I'd argue we want to be a dominant running team and save for 2/3 of Mekhi's rookie year, we have yet to find a tackle that can truly dominate the edge for the outside zone. 

If we found someone that can unlock Breece to the outside I think Rodgers will do fine with what we already have at receiver.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To both of these posts about the offensive line this year - are we certain a rookie tackle out of this class starts over Brown or Becton? And if one of those guys gets hurt, are we sure the tackle plays over AVT with Schweitzer kicking in at guard? Generally considered a raw class.

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

They should but don’t you get the feeling the jets aren’t even considering a receiver at 13? I hope I’m wrong but they didn’t bring in any receivers for visits. Either a deke move or they really have no interest. 

It’d be a pretty good head fake. Everyone has them locked in on OL with a chance of DL. I’m sure they got a good feel for JSN from the work they did on Wilson, and from Wilson himself. Maybe that’s enough to have them content to lay in the weeds. Think it’s a stretch though.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Winning.

no, no we're not. JSN is not a value pick at #13, and that's not a crazy opinion either. Granted, options are limited, but that's not the play... He's more of a round 2 guy and that's based on 2021 film... 5 recs last year man... #13 overall.. No... just no for me. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Imagine if they land him at 43.

To both of these posts about the offensive line this year - are we certain a rookie tackle out of this class starts over Brown or Becton? And if one of those guys gets hurt, are we sure the tackle plays over AVT with Schweitzer kicking in at guard? Generally considered a raw class.

It’d be a pretty good head fake. Everyone has them locked in on OL with a chance of DL. I’m sure they got a good feel for JSN from the work they did on Wilson, and from Wilson himself. Maybe that’s enough to have them content to lay in the weeds. Think it’s a stretch though.

when talking about injuries how come nobody considers the WR room to be 1 injury away from the worst group in league?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

when talking about injuries how come nobody considers the WR room to be 1 injury away from the worst group in league?

Trying to build this year’s team to be able to withstand last year’s problems.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetNation said:

Jaxon-Smith-Njigba-scaled.jpg

While offensive tackle has been the hot prediction for the direction the Jets will take in round 1 of the upcoming NFL draft, the pick really should be Ohio State wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba.  Why, you ask?  Why should the Jets ignore their massive needs on the offensive line in favor of another wide receiver while they already have Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard and Corey Davis on the roster?  It’s a fair question, and here’s your answer.

In case you hadn’t heard, the Jets are in hot pursuit of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.  A deal that is reportedly being held up at the moment by owner Woody Johnson, and rightfully so.  Johnson was reportedly spooked when Rodgers announced publicly that he viewed himself as being 90% retired just a few weeks back.  This, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports.

As a result, the Jets were looking for “protection” against an early Rodgers retirement which would require the Packers to give the Jets a future pick if the quarterback were to walk away after one season.

With all of this in mind, it’s clear that the proper approach for the Jets to take is that they are adding a future Hall of Fame quarterback, but it’s quite likely it’s a one and done situation for Rogers.  Might it end up being two years?  Possibly.  What about three?  Extremely unlikely.  So all they know for sure is that it’s one year.  With that being the case, the team’s priority has to building an offense that will allow Rodgers to excel, and hopefully, for whoever takes over after him to do the same.

For those who have watched Rodgers over the years, one thing that is abundantly clear is the speed at which he gets the ball out of his hand when he’s playing well and his receivers are getting open is among the very best in the NFL.

If Rodgers were to work with Wilson and Smith-Njigba, he would have two receivers whose ability to create immediate separation is among the best in the NFL.  We saw it from Wilson when he won offensive rookie of the year in topping 1,100 yards with the who’s who of “why is this guy on a roster” in NFL quarterbacks.

Meanwhile, Njigba showed time and again college and again at the NFL combine that no other receiver in this class can move laterally as quickly as he can.  His measurables in Indy were in a class of their own as he topped all receivers in agility drills.  Both his 3-cone and short shuttle were tops in the class at 6.57 and 3.93 respectively.

And NFL fans are funny sometimes.  If and when you suggest a team go in a particular direction in round 1, it’s met with the suggestion that the team being discussed will have no other picks beyond the first round, meaning all other positions have been neglected.  Not the case.

Great job up front by the @BYUfootball OL to pave the way for a Christopher Brooks TD run to the right side but take a look at LT Blake Freeland (71) who helps flatten a DT and a LB one right after the other. pic.twitter.com/BK6NtSDBLv

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) January 23, 2023

Should the Jets take Njigba at 13, they could then come back and add a player such as BYU’s Blake Freeman or Matthew Bergeron of Syracuse.  Both viewed as round 2 players who can start out of the gate.  And this of course would be in addition to having Duane Brown, Mekhi Becton and Max Mitchell on the roster.

With Rodgers’ initial reads and lightning quick release, the Jets wouldn’t need Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz up front to score points.  They would need adequate tackle play (which should be easily attainable) and a pair of receivers that keep defenses up at night.  They’ve got one, so now go get the other.

The post Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

no