Will Zach Wilson make it a living hell? (Updated as of 31 May)

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

"He’s going to make my life hell in practice, and I’m going to make his life heaven off the field," Rodgers said, via The New York Post. 

Well we all know that Rodgers has connections with the ladies

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Give it a rest.

Its a shame so many Jets fans have such hatred toward one of their own players. He deserves his QB2 status. I am pretty sure, with what I know of Aaron Rodgers, if he wanted Boyle or someone else as the #2, it would be done. Aaron sees something in the kid. Maybe it turns into nothing. Maybe he never sees the field for 2 years and is on a different team in 2025. But, I trust Aaron Rodgers' view of talent, more than some guy on a Jet Nation message board.

I don't think he has a future here. But, while he is on the Jets, I will support the kid. He isn't a star QB and probably never will be. But he plays for our team. You would think acquiring Aaron Rodgers would maybe diminish the Zach Wilson bashing. Yet we still have posts like this and so many others. What's the point? He's a backup QB. Are we still living on what could have been? Or can we move on to what we have right now?

There are so many purely negative fans here. I thought this was going to be fun, joining this group. Not so much. Wow,

Oh boy you're gonna LOVE the game threads

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I doubt it ever clicks for him, but you can’t deny that the Jets are putting him in the best possible position to be rehabilitated.

If Zach can just develop into a competent, league average starter after Rodgers is gone then that’s a win.

""They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, "No, no, no"
Yes, I've been black, but when I come back, you'll know, know, know

9 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Give it a rest.

Its a shame so many Jets fans have such hatred toward one of their own players. He deserves his QB2 status. I am pretty sure, with what I know of Aaron Rodgers, if he wanted Boyle or someone else as the #2, it would be done. Aaron sees something in the kid. Maybe it turns into nothing. Maybe he never sees the field for 2 years and is on a different team in 2025. But, I trust Aaron Rodgers' view of talent, more than some guy on a Jet Nation message board.

I don't think he has a future here. But, while he is on the Jets, I will support the kid. He isn't a star QB and probably never will be. But he plays for our team. You would think acquiring Aaron Rodgers would maybe diminish the Zach Wilson bashing. Yet we still have posts like this and so many others. What's the point? He's a backup QB. Are we still living on what could have been? Or can we move on to what we have right now?

There are so many purely negative fans here. I thought this was going to be fun, joining this group. Not so much. Wow,

So I’m a little curious. what has ZW done to deserve his #2 qb status? 

other than being drafted #2 overall I feel like he has done nothing to earn that backup role. His play on the field has been historically bad. Jamarcus russel bad. 59C53612-AC4D-43F6-8260-C8E052C4CBD0.thumb.jpeg.202c0f3f97b25f632c90dfe3dabfaa95.jpeg

If he wasn’t drafted #2 overall he would have been cut already or on the practice squad. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

14 hours ago, peebag said:

Zach is done with Jets.  Whatever football career he will have will be on another team.

I dont believe thats true. Hes only done if Rodgers is here for 2+ years. If Rodgers doesnt come back next year, Wilson will get the opportunity to win the starting job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

other than being drafted #2 overall I feel like he has done nothing to earn that backup role. His play on the field has been historically bad. Jamarcus russel bad. 

If he wasn’t drafted #2 overall he would have been cut already or on the practice squad. 

It's such circular/contradictory/backwards thinking.

People want to argue that Zach Wilson was "rushed" onto the field as a # 2 overall pick.  But now they want to argue he "deserves" the # 2 job by default, and thus could easily get "rushed" onto the field again with one minor injury?

Seems to me the primary argument for him being the QB2 is essentially that was the # 2 pick "for a reason".  Because a talented QB can never be over-drafted.  He just needs to have his abilities unlocked.  But he also doesn't need to earn that job.  After all, he was the QB1 for 2 years so why drop him to QB3?  Who cares that he played like a QB4?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What has he done, exactly, to "deserve" the QB2 status?

I get rooting for him and hoping he does well.  I do too, as I want him traded for max value, lol.  But thinking he's "earned" anything, particularly when he was handed the QB1 job from the jump without a competition and even now his only competition at the moment is Tim friggin Boyle, is a flawed take. 

Finances are likely the only reason the Jets were forced to go cheap with the QB3, not Aaron Rodgers' desires.  The Jets couldn't afford to spend substantial coin on the QB1, QB2 AND QB3.

If you came here thinking we'd largely be positive about Zach Wilson that's on you buddy.  Particularly in a Zach Wilson thread.  I didn't ask to be your favorite poster here, lol.

That’s fine. We don’t have to agree on everything. I am not going to attack you for having a different opinion. I will disagree and say he has earned a backup QB spot on this team by winning games last year. He also looked terrible in games as well, but we are talking about a backup QB. What QB2 in the NFL is a stud or even consistently average ? Very few. With Rodgers ahead of him, not sure what we are expecting from him other than learning under one of the greatest. Crazier things have happened. 

But if we are strictly arguing whether Zach Wilson should be a QB2, then this is just silly. No ? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

That’s fine. We don’t have to agree on everything. I am not going to attack you for having a different opinion. I will disagree and say he has earned a backup QB spot on this team by winning games last year.

It's only a team game when we lose!

3 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

What QB2 in the NFL is a stud or even consistently average ? Very few. With Rodgers ahead of him, not sure what we are expecting from him other than learning under one of the greatest. Crazier things have happened. 

But if we are strictly arguing whether Zach Wilson should be a QB2, then this is just silly. No ? 

I provided a list of guys earlier that are decidedly average/a little below average who were readily available.  Wilson was the bottom-ranked QB in the league 2 years in a row, and played at a QB4 level.  There's a massive difference.

This is a win-now, SB window type team.  Counting on Zach Wilson if Rodgers goes down for, say, a 3-5 week injury, is an enormous ask and far too risky for me to ever support.  The QB2 matters a great deal in those instances.

1 minute ago, Jdeet said:

That’s fine. We don’t have to agree on everything. I am not going to attack you for having a different opinion. I will disagree and say he has earned a backup QB spot on this team by winning games last year. He also looked terrible in games as well, but we are talking about a backup QB. What QB2 in the NFL is a stud or even consistently average ? Very few. With Rodgers ahead of him, not sure what we are expecting from him other than learning under one of the greatest. Crazier things have happened. 

Don't bother. You are arguing with ignorance. Some Jets fans would more likely want Zach buried underneath the field at Florham Park, than be their backup QB.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I provided a list of guys earlier that are decidedly average/a little below average who were readily available.  Wilson was the bottom-ranked QB in the league 2 years in a row, and played at a QB4 level.  There's a massive difference.

This is a win-now, SB window type team.  Counting on Zach Wilson if Rodgers goes down for, say, a 3-5 week injury, is an enormous ask and far too risky for me to ever support.  The QB2 matters a great deal in those instances.

I hear you and I agree, that if he goes down, we are in trouble. But, when has Aaron Rodgers’ backup QB ever mattered? Or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

I hear you and I agree, that if he goes down, we are in trouble. But, when has Aaron Rodgers’ backup QB ever mattered? Or Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees?

In 2017, Rodgers went down in Week 8 when the Packers were 4-3.  They finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs.  Just saying!

Generally QB2s don't matter if the QB1 doesn't get hurt very often.  Brees, for instance, only missed 3 games over a 12-year period with New Orleans.  

But when you have a 39-year old QB and are "all in", you have to bake into the equation the possibility of him dealing with a minor injury that forces him out a couple of games this year and/or in 2024.  And if/when that happens, you want a capable QB2 taking over.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In 2017, Rodgers went down in Week 8 when the Packers were 4-3.  They finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs.  Just saying!

Generally QB2s don't matter if the QB1 doesn't get hurt very often.  Brees, for instance, only missed 3 games over a 12-year period with New Orleans.  

But when you have a 39-year old QB and are "all in", you have to bake into the equation the possibility of him dealing with a minor injury that forces him out a couple of games this year and/or in 2024.  And if/when that happens, you want a capable QB2 taking over.  

2017 - I believe the last time Aaron Rodgers missed a game. My point exactly. If he misses games for the Jets, we are in trouble. But, other than Aaron Rodgers, we have a solid core of young players that make us more than just a win now team,  though acquiring Rodgers does increase the expectations. I just don’t think Gardner Minshew or Nick Foles, or someone like that, on the roster, is that big of a deal, over Zach.  Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ultraJETfan said:

Oh boy you're gonna LOVE the game threads

That bad ? Well, I am at most of the games. Don’t need to worry about that. But I am sure it will be a lot different this year with Aaron over last year with Zach. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

2017 - I believe the last time Aaron Rodgers missed a game. My point exactly. If he misses games for the Jets, we are in trouble. But, other than Aaron Rodgers, we have a solid core of young players that make us more than just a win now team,  though acquiring Rodgers does increase the expectations. I just don’t think Gardner Minshew or Nick Foles, or someone like that, on the roster, is that big of a deal, over Zach.  Just my opinion. 

And we'll probably always disagree on that, lol.  Zach Wilson has shown a high propensity to LOSE a winnable game for the Jets.  That's the worst trait for a QB2.  You need a game manager at QB2.  Wilson is the exact opposite of a game manager. 

QB2 isn't in the top 10 of spots on the roster in terms of importance but its definitely not close to the bottom 10, either, so I see no reason why we'd be so risky with our options there when we didn't need to be.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And we'll probably always disagree on that, lol.  Zach Wilson has shown a high propensity to LOSE a winnable game for the Jets.  That's the worst trait for a QB2.  You need a game manager at QB2.  Wilson is the exact opposite of a game manager. 

QB2 isn't in the top 10 of spots on the roster in terms of importance but its definitely not close to the bottom 10, either, so I see no reason why we'd be so risky with our options there when we didn't need to be.  

I think it’s a combination of Aaron Rodgers believing in him and the team not giving up on him. Yes he single handedly lost games for us last year and never single handedly won a game. His wins were due to defense and/or Breece Hall. But the fact we won that Bills game without Breece and Zach game managing, tells me there is a glimmer of hope that we could possibly get by for a game or two with Zach. But I definitely understand the frustration. Let’s just hope it’s Aaron all the way. I know he is the type of guy that will play through pretty much anything. 

It is the first time I can remember not worrying about the QB position. It’s a good feeling. But if we are picking our battles, I don’t think QB2 is what we need to worry about. Signing Q, seeing  our Oline stay healthy, and seeing Breece come back strong from his injury, are the top 3 concerns I have, at the moment. 

For many years, I backed up a hall of famer and when I finally got my chance to play, I didn’t ever play to his level, but I had low expectations  from fans. I didn’t play in New York, so there’s that. But Zach was the number 1 and lost it due to bad play. It is hard to regain the fans confidence. I will tell you the other guys on that team believe he can play adequately if needed. But hopefully we never have to see it happen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

A sample bill of goods sold by 1JD about ZW:

1) All-world arm talent

2) “loves the game”

3) Elite work ethic

4) “arm angles”

5) “football savant” with “total recall” of every snap and situation he’s ever faced 

If all this true, it either means the coaching staff has abjectly failed him, or he’s got some mental block / psycho-somatic issues that prevent him from executing on game day.

Dude flees imaginary pressure as if a Mack truck were bearing down on him and is so maddeningly inaccurate and mentally-addled from the pocket, even when it’s clean.

20 hours ago, derp said:
Countless is hyperbolic, and the offensive line somehow looked better with Flacco and White at quarterback.

thanks for the laughs ... Truly astonishingly incorrect ... I'm sure Mike White"s 5 broken ribs truly appreciated the impenetrable bulwark of men that stymied the waves of attacking defenders... At least until the second minute of the first quarter ... Good lord the revisionists theories running rampant here are truly tinder for deep thought.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie

That bad ? Well, I am at most of the games. Don’t need to worry about that. But I am sure it will be a lot different this year with Aaron over last year with Zach. 
Gotta have thick skin ... But for the rare exception ... 95% of the posters here have a great sense of humor.

You are posing too many accurate and intelligent thoughts for the amoebic grey matter in these parts.

You are spot on correct .. don't bow to the mob !

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:
other than being drafted #2 overall I feel like he has done nothing to earn that backup role. His play on the field has been historically bad. Jamarcus russel bad. http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2023_05/59C53612-AC4D-43F6-8260-C8E052C4CBD0.thumb.jpeg.202c0f3f97b25f632c90dfe3dabfaa95.jpeg

And if he had any sort of reasonable coaching he would not be in this predicament to begin with.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:42 PM, RJIII said:

Agreed... Hope he balls out and we trade his ass for a 2nd rounder! One dude I truly disrespect on this roster. 

How can you disrespect a guy that works his a** off and loves football? Makes no sense to me. Guys didn't love the way Zach played at one point but noone ever said he wasn't a good teammate and hard worker. That was total fabrication online. He failed for a lot of reasons, but most of it was because we had a guy that was a rookie OC who never developed a QB, no real veteran presence early, no job completion, and a complete sh*tshow the way their defensive coach handled the QB switch. He has the talent to shine, but no young kid can overcome all of that playing in NYC. He will get another chance, there is very little doubt unless he stinks it up in practice. Part of the reason they went after Rodgers was to get Zach valuable time to learn under an all time great for two years and save his career. That's a big reason why they wanted him over a long term solution.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png thanks for the laughs ... Truly astonishingly incorrect ... I'm sure Mike White"s 5 broken ribs truly appreciated the impenetrable bulwark of men that stymied the waves of attacking defenders... At least until the second minute of the first quarter ... Good lord the revisionists theories running rampant here are truly tinder for deep thought.

Zach Wilson has had poor pocket presence since his time at BYU. 

All the Wilson apologists love that one play.

The line can have been below average and still looked more functional with other quarterbacks behind it. Not mutually exclusive.

Wilson sacked on 8.7% of dropbacks. White 4.9%. Flacco 5.0%.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

Zach Wilson has had poor pocket presence since his time at BYU. 

All the Wilson apologists love that one play.

The line can have been below average and still looked more functional with other quarterbacks behind it. Not mutually exclusive.

If Zach’s 15 worst drop backs a game became good reps would he be good?  

Then why give up on him?  It’s not all bad and he clearly had horrible coaching and development.  

6 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Then why give up on him?  It’s not all bad and he clearly had horrible coaching and development.  

That is a leap you made from the line looked worse with him back there.

I don’t think he’ll work out, I hope he does. They have him under contract and he gets time to sit that I thought he needed when they drafted him, so no harm seeing if that works out.

I can’t think of many examples of fixing poor pocket management. Think it’s hard to train someone’s brain to make quick decisions under stress. But they certainly should keep working with him while they have Rodgers. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If any QB’s 15 worst reps a game suddenly became good, of course he’d be ballin by Jets QB standards BUT 15 plays is a LOT

most football games are decided by a handful of plays. Getting better by 15 reps a game feels like a big ask to me 

• Upvote 1