Will Zach Wilson make it a living hell? (Updated as of 31 May)

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

this is the plan, which i am sure has been agreed by everyone.

Rodgers this year and next year...

Jets do not pick up Wilsons 5th year...

They let him play for his new deal...

take it from the guy who called the hacket rodgers combo to the jets in january.

If they don't pick up the option he's a free agent.  How does he play for his deal?  

*edit, never mind 

5 minutes ago, Tooooon said:

So starts the process that every fanbase goes through…..starting to believe the backup is good, no matter how bad he’s been..

The power of tiny sample sizes mixed with recency bias and untenable hope.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes · 26m
There is an open dialogue in meetings, Uzomah said. Hackett might be teaching it one way, but
then Rodgers will speak up. If it doesn’t make sense .. they find a way to make it make sense
for everyone. That’s different from past. #Jets

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes · 25m
Uzomah said offense wasn’t happy with their performance yesterday. In huddle of pre-practice
walk thru, Rodgers looked at everyone and, in Uzomah’s words, basically told them to “get
their sh*t together.”  No yelling — spoke in monotone. It resonated, though. Everyone locked in

So refreshing to finally have a grown ass adult as QB1 for the NY Jets. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

ZW always looks good...in practice.

From what I remember, reports from the past two camps were mostly positive.  He seems to do pretty well in controlled, no threat scenarios while wearing a red jersey.

However, I do recall reading a report that Zach was struggling to complete the most routine passes in practice the week before the Denver game in 2022.  He was completely broken at that point.

So any positive news is a step in the right direction.  The Jets believe he can still be salvaged and simply needs a reset.  For the sake of the team, let's hope they are right.

• Upvote 3

Seeing what he can be surrounded by actual adults who can help him learn how to be good at football is a cheap price to pay considering the money is already gone.

I'll stick with "good for him" when reports are that he's doing well and judge for myself how things are progressing during the undoubtedly many snaps we'll see from him in preseason. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The power of tiny sample sizes mixed with recency bias and untenable hope.

Yup.  And the beauty is you can toss aside the bad practice/preseason games because they don’t actually matter. By week 1 this board will be whipped into a frenzy about the Amazing Zach Wilson Resurgence. 

Yup.  And the beauty is you can toss aside the bad practice/preseason games because they don’t actually matter. By week 1 this board will be whipped into a frenzy about the Amazing Zach Wilson Resurgence. 
As they should if that should occur ... Love to see one of the greatest to play the game help hone this kids talents unlike what has gone on around here the past two years.

Buckle boys ... This should be a fun ride.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

For the hopeless romantics out there, sure, Zach Wilson looked solid today, a bit more *free-flowing*, which is encouraging; but there was still a nice-sized sample of the same “sketchy” moments when going through reads and deciding on an option (at times).

ZW vs. no legit pass…

— Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) May 23, 2023

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I doubt it ever clicks for him, but you can’t deny that the Jets are putting him in the best possible position to be rehabilitated.

If Zach can just develop into a competent, league average starter after Rodgers is gone then that’s a win.

Kinda disagree.  Zach turning into Daniel Jones or Ryan Tannehill may be the worst outcome for the team.  Almost better to flame out and start over than deal with so-so QB year after year and never get over the hump...

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

5 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Healthy  rested knee (hopefully) time to reflect and grow up, I see no reason that with Rodgers as a mentor Zach Wilson  doesn't move on and become a solid NFL QB, question is where will he end up playing when Rodgers retires and Zach's contract is up?

Doubt its with the Jets.

He's not under pressure.  When given time, he was decent.  It was his QBR of 19 when under pressure, which was most of the time, that killed him.  Not a total excuse but no QB plays well under constant pressure.  I watched the Jets beat Peyton Manning 42-3 because they were all over him all day.  Brady lost to the Giants because he was under pressure.  The giants beat an unbeatable Bills team in the super bowl because they were in Jim Kelly's face all day.  One thing all three enjoyed was a clean jersey every week.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

He's not under pressure.  When given time, he was decent.  It was his QBR of 19 when under pressure, which was most of the time, that killed him.  Not a total excuse but no QB plays well under constant pressure.  I watched the Jets beat Peyton Manning 42-3 because they were all over him all day.  Brady lost to the Giants because he was under pressure.  The giants beat an unbeatable Bills team in the super bowl because they were in Jim Kelly's face all day.  One thing all three enjoyed was a clean jersey every week.
Amazing the number of Jets fans that cannot understand or acknowledge this simple axiom.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

46 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Kinda disagree.  Zach turning into Daniel Jones or Ryan Tannehill may be the worst outcome for the team.  Almost better to flame out and start over than deal with so-so QB year after year and never get over the hump...

Well you are in luck.  I don’t think he can be average.   He will be really really good or a bust.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

That QBR under pressure was worst in the league though, right? Pressure obviously makes guys worse, but doesn’t have to make a player as bad as Wilson was.

I’d be curious to see how often he was blitzed relative to other quarterbacks. If you can’t beat a blitz it’s like when a defense can’t stop the run - no reason not to do it until the opponent gives them a reason to stop.

Guys like Burrow and Mahomes thrive in part because they’ll carve teams up if they blitz. Forces the defense to be more one dimensional since everyone knows the defense can’t blitz.

In that case obviously getting pressure with four is huge - big reason the Jets’ defense is tough to play against - but I don’t know if the pressure numbers are all on the OL or if they’re partially on his inability to take advantage of a numbers mismatch and get the ball out quick. I’d venture a guess it’s at least a little of the latter - holds the ball longer than a lot of guys.

• Upvote 1

With Rodgers sidelined, Wilson was the quarterback who stepped in and took first-team reps over the likes of Tim Boyle and Chris Streveler — and he made the most of that opportunity.

Wilson finished the day 12-of-14, including a 9-for-10 performance in 7-on-7 drills. The highlight of the day was a tight-window pass from Wilson to second-year wideout Garrett Wilson who made a diving catch past cornerback D.J. Reed.

New Jets offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was vocally supportive of Wilsonthroughout the day. Meanwhile, head coach Robert Saleh praised Wilson after practice for his professionalism and performance thus far this spring.

• Sympathy 2
  • Ugh 2

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i really dont get the satisfaction jets fans get from sh*tting on their own players.

I am more annoyed by Joe Douglas for drafting him in the first place and then all the verbal tapdancing BS by Saleh and everybody else around the realities of the situation.

Until proven otherwise on a meaningful football field, kid is a bust.  It’s like just tell it like it is for once.

It’s not Zach Wilson’s fault the Jets reached for him.

If you listen to EPL managers talk about their players, they are treated like grown men.  None of this coddling BS.

Sh-t performances are even called out publicly at times, and subpar performers get loaned off or benched without apology regardless of acquisition cost.

• Upvote 1

Wilson, 23, put forth a solid effort in Rodgers’s stead. In seven-on-sevens, the BYU product put a few dazzling completions on the board.

One such connection featured Garrett Wilson down the left sideline in one-on-one coverage. Although the 40-plus-yard chunk play showcased excellent placement and timing, the more critical callout comes in another area altogether.

Wilson made the correct read.

At no point during the play was the Jets’ defense threatening a second man near the sophomore wideout. Without getting into specific offensive concepts and defensive coverages, the young quarterback appropriately read that his receiver simply needed to beat his man (and nobody else).

The cherry on top is the idea that Wilson looked off the deep-high safety, ensuring that nothing over the top would threaten the big-time completion.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I am more annoyed by Joe Douglas for drafting him in the first place and then all the verbal tapdancing BS by Saleh and everybody else around the realities of the situation.

Until proven otherwise on a meaningful football field, kid is a bust.  It’s like just tell it like it is for once.

It’s not Zach Wilson’s fault the Jets reached for him.

If you listen to EPL managers talk about their players, they are treated like grown men.  None of this coddling BS.

Sh-t performances are even called out publicly at times, and subpar performers get loaned off or benched without apology regardless of acquisition cost.

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Flag Football Hall of Famer

PSA Reminder: Saleh’s best friends brother might be a very bad OC and bad at teaching young QBs.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, derp said:

That QBR under pressure was worst in the league though, right? Pressure obviously makes guys worse, but doesn’t have to make a player as bad as Wilson was.

I’d be curious to see how often he was blitzed relative to other quarterbacks. If you can’t beat a blitz it’s like when a defense can’t stop the run - no reason not to do it until the opponent gives them a reason to stop.

Guys like Burrow and Mahomes thrive in part because they’ll carve teams up if they blitz. Forces the defense to be more one dimensional since everyone knows the defense can’t blitz.

In that case obviously getting pressure with four is huge - big reason the Jets’ defense is tough to play against - but I don’t know if the pressure numbers are all on the OL or if they’re partially on his inability to take advantage of a numbers mismatch and get the ball out quick. I’d venture a guess it’s at least a little of the latter - holds the ball longer than a lot of guys.

Yes, he held the ball too long, but do you remember the countless 3rd downs that he was hit by 3 guys before he even lifted his arm?  The Jets also had more free runners at the QB than any team I can recall.  The offensive line never saw a stunt they could block.

Truth is the protection was beyond miserable.  It is also true that Zach was attrocious when under pressure.  A terrible combination.  Good thing we had a cracker jack offensive coordinator.  Oh wait.  Oops!!!

1 hour ago, Flashlite80 said:

Yes, he held the ball too long, but do you remember the countless 3rd downs that he was hit by 3 guys before he even lifted his arm?  The Jets also had more free runners at the QB than any team I can recall.  The offensive line never saw a stunt they could block.

Truth is the protection was beyond miserable.  It is also true that Zach was attrocious when under pressure.  A terrible combination.  Good thing we had a cracker jack offensive coordinator.  Oh wait.  Oops!!!

Countless is hyperbolic, and the offensive line somehow looked better with Flacco and White at quarterback.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

No it didn’t.  Unless some other guy I forget was the one who got folded in half.  

I know you’re a Wilson guy and I also believe you know that you can’t extrapolate one play like that. But if you genuinely think the line looked the same with all three quarterbacks you’re certainly entitled to that opinion, I don’t share it.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, derp said:

I know you’re a Wilson guy and I also believe you know that you can’t extrapolate one play like that. But if you genuinely think the line looked the same with all three quarterbacks you’re certainly entitled to that opinion, I don’t share it.

They averaged one point more per game than Zach.   It wasn’t an efficient machine without him.

• Upvote 1