Will Zach Wilson make it a living hell? (Updated as of 31 May)

1 hour ago, derp said:

Countless is hyperbolic, and the offensive line somehow looked better with Flacco and White at quarterback.

Bingo.  Forgetting for a moment even numerous instances where it seemed highly likely Wilson badly screwed up the line calls, he had quite literally the worst pocket presence I've ever seen of any NFL QB.

Any time he didn't fire the ball off the moment he completed his drop, it was guaranteed that he would either continuously drift further and further backwards, or just pointlessly sprint outside of a totally clean pocket.  The OL was far from great, but as with every facet of the offense, it all immediately got worse whenever Wilson was out there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, derp said:

Countless is hyperbolic, and the offensive line somehow looked better with Flacco and White at quarterback.

Flacco 2 sacks a game, White 2.25 a game.   Zach 2.5 sacks a game   

Not Zach scored like 1.2 more points a game more than Zach   

The offense was bad last year with all the QBs.     

8512A53B-D6F1-4BCE-B3AA-372813B642E0.jpeg

D18856F1-CE53-48EF-9AD4-333C62F8DBF6.jpeg

D749D388-6184-4A27-AD8F-9E5CB0CE66D5.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

With Rodgers sidelined, Wilson was the quarterback who stepped in and took first-team reps over the likes of Tim Boyle and Chris Streveler — and he made the most of that opportunity.

Wilson finished the day 12-of-14, including a 9-for-10 performance in 7-on-7 drills. The highlight of the day was a tight-window pass from Wilson to second-year wideout Garrett Wilson who made a diving catch past cornerback D.J. Reed.

New Jets offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett was vocally supportive of Wilsonthroughout the day. Meanwhile, head coach Robert Saleh praised Wilson after practice for his professionalism and performance thus far this spring.

Wilson, 23, put forth a solid effort in Rodgers’s stead. In seven-on-sevens, the BYU product put a few dazzling completions on the board.

One such connection featured Garrett Wilson down the left sideline in one-on-one coverage. Although the 40-plus-yard chunk play showcased excellent placement and timing, the more critical callout comes in another area altogether.

Wilson made the correct read.

At no point during the play was the Jets’ defense threatening a second man near the sophomore wideout. Without getting into specific offensive concepts and defensive coverages, the young quarterback appropriately read that his receiver simply needed to beat his man (and nobody else).

The cherry on top is the idea that Wilson looked off the deep-high safety, ensuring that nothing over the top would threaten the big-time completion.

PSA Reminder: Saleh’s best friends brother might be a very bad OC and bad at teaching young QBs.  

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

No it didn’t.  Unless some other guy I forget was the one who got folded in half.  

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

They averaged one point more per game than Zach.   It wasn’t an efficient machine without him.

19 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol sure didn’t take much for you to jump right back in both feet first.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, KRL said:

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes · 26m
There is an open dialogue in meetings, Uzomah said. Hackett might be teaching it one way, but
then Rodgers will speak up. If it doesn’t make sense .. they find a way to make it make sense
for everyone. That’s different from past. #Jets

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes · 25m
Uzomah said offense wasn’t happy with their performance yesterday. In huddle of pre-practice
walk thru, Rodgers looked at everyone and, in Uzomah’s words, basically told them to “get
their sh*t together.”  No yelling — spoke in monotone. It resonated, though. Everyone locked in

Hmmmmmmmmm i think that this is called….

COACHING!!!!!!🙏

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

I could be seeing it wrong, but I'm curious what's going on behind his left arm.

That’s the pic where he’s on the boat with his mother’s friends. The Milf he supposedly banged is cut out here, but she’s just off to his right looking fine in a bikini.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Wilson is an Albatross.  Keep applying lipstick, he is still a pig. It’s a shame that his draft pick position holds us back from giving others a chance to be QB2.

Well you better hope you're wrong and that Wilson is learning/ growing. 

Because we are 1 injury away from superbowl discussion to the #12 pick again next year if nothing changes and QB1 goes down. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

They averaged one point more per game than Zach.   It wasn’t an efficient machine without him.

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Nobody said it was an efficient machine without Wilson. I said that I thought the offensive line looked worse. Which is really more qualitative than anything.

And you just showed that the team scored less points and gave up more sacks with Wilson, both of which are…worse. So hey, some numbers to back that up too.

I'm genuinely perplexed by some of the commenting in this thread. As a fan, EVERYONE should have the reasonable hope that Wilson can be salvaged, while learning from a Top 10 all-time QB, who also is his childhood idol. I understand the timing of his rookie contract puts that at odds with his becoming successful with the Jets, but there were also people complaining that Becton's 5th wasn't picked up. 

Let this play out and enjoy. Who knows, maybe we are seeing a true turning of the corner for this franchise where the QB position is concerned.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

For the hopeless romantics out there, sure, Zach Wilson looked solid today, a bit more *free-flowing*, which is encouraging; but there was still a nice-sized sample of the same “sketchy” moments when going through reads and deciding on an option (at times).

ZW vs. no legit pass…

— Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) May 23, 2023

I’m totally shocked.  A few have taken notice that a rookie or 2nd year QB, still learning the system, defenses, the NFL game struggles with pressure in his face as opposed to no pressure.

This is a brilliant observation. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, k-met57 said:

this is the plan, which i am sure has been agreed by everyone.

Rodgers this year and next year...

Jets do not pick up Wilsons 5th year...

They let him play for his new deal...

take it from the guy who called the hacket rodgers combo to the jets in january.

If Rodgers plays 2 years for us, and we don't exercise Zach's 5th year option, Zach wouldn't be under contract.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

He's not under pressure.  When given time, he was decent.  It was his QBR of 19 when under pressure, which was most of the time, that killed him.  Not a total excuse but no QB plays well under constant pressure.  I watched the Jets beat Peyton Manning 42-3 because they were all over him all day.  Brady lost to the Giants because he was under pressure.  The giants beat an unbeatable Bills team in the super bowl because they were in Jim Kelly's face all day.  One thing all three enjoyed was a clean jersey every week.

True but one obvious caveat:  The QB has a big part to play in the "constant pressure" stuff.  Sure, some days the pass rush just owns you, and middle pressure in particular is almost impossible for even the best QBs to overcome.  But making good presnap decisions and getting the ball out quick is something even young QBs now are getting better at and can reduce that pressure. 

And Zach in particular was terrible not only in these areas but he was fleeing pressure at the first sign of trouble, which no QB can get away with.

9 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Wilson should have been beating the trash intentionally placed behind him on the depth chart substantially with all that natural talent, not falling behind them.  Same system, same OC yet he was the worst performer of the bunch.  Even worse than Josh Johnson and even worse than Chris Streveler (in small samples). 

Hence why your constant blame of MLF for all of Zach's issues makes no sense.

6 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Give it a rest.

Its a shame so many Jets fans have such hatred toward one of their own players. He deserves his QB2 status. I am pretty sure, with what I know of Aaron Rodgers, if he wanted Boyle or someone else as the #2, it would be done. Aaron sees something in the kid. Maybe it turns into nothing. Maybe he never sees the field for 2 years and is on a different team in 2025. But, I trust Aaron Rodgers' view of talent, more than some guy on a Jet Nation message board.

I don't think he has a future here. But, while he is on the Jets, I will support the kid. He isn't a star QB and probably never will be. But he plays for our team. You would think acquiring Aaron Rodgers would maybe diminish the Zach Wilson bashing. Yet we still have posts like this and so many others. What's the point? He's a backup QB. Are we still living on what could have been? Or can we move on to what we have right now?

There are so many purely negative fans here. I thought this was going to be fun, joining this group. Not so much. Wow,

What has he done, exactly, to "deserve" the QB2 status?

I get rooting for him and hoping he does well.  I do too, as I want him traded for max value, lol.  But thinking he's "earned" anything, particularly when he was handed the QB1 job from the jump without a competition and even now his only competition at the moment is Tim friggin Boyle, is a flawed take. 

Finances are likely the only reason the Jets were forced to go cheap with the QB3, not Aaron Rodgers' desires.  The Jets couldn't afford to spend substantial coin on the QB1, QB2 AND QB3.

If you came here thinking we'd largely be positive about Zach Wilson that's on you buddy.  Particularly in a Zach Wilson thread.  I didn't ask to be your favorite poster here, lol.

1 hour ago, Jetworks said:

I'm genuinely perplexed by some of the commenting in this thread. As a fan, EVERYONE should have the reasonable hope that Wilson can be salvaged, while learning from a Top 10 all-time QB, who also is his childhood idol. 

Hoping he does well and being cool with him seeing the field if Rodgers gets hurt are two different things.

I want him to do well......as the QB3.  We're all in on a SB run this year.  We need a far better QB2 option if Rodgers were to go down for a couple weeks.  We don't have the luxury of having a now project QB "learn on the job".

• Post of the Week 1

Wilson is an Albatross.  Keep applying lipstick, he is still a pig. It’s a shame that his draft pick position holds us back from giving others a chance to be QB2.
Streveler? Boyle? Yeah, it's a tragedy these guys are getting passed over
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetworks said:

I'm genuinely perplexed by some of the commenting in this thread. As a fan, EVERYONE should have the reasonable hope that Wilson can be salvaged, while learning from a Top 10 all-time QB, who also is his childhood idol. I understand the timing of his rookie contract puts that at odds with his becoming successful with the Jets, but there were also people complaining that Becton's 5th wasn't picked up. 

Let this play out and enjoy. Who knows, maybe we are seeing a true turning of the corner for this franchise where the QB position is concerned.

Hey brosef.

I disagree.  Primarily because "hope" and "analysis" are two different things, weighted two different ways.

If I think there is a chance of something, based on my evaluation and analysis, then I will 100% hope for it to happen.

If my analysis says there is no or a de minimous chance?  Then what is best is to move on from that player and find a player who has a better chance.

To be clear, I do not believe Zach Wilson willl ever be a good NFL QB.  No amount of time, practice, and backrubs from Aaron Rodgers will make him anything more than a bust QB at the pro lovel.  The scouts (and fans) were simply wrong about him, he never had elite potential and never had elite-level skill or talent.  He's a dumb brain in a short body with poor vision who played weak competition in college but has a descent pro-level arm, plain and simple.

So in my view, what is best for the NY Jets is to move on from him as soon as is feasible, and find a legit possible future QB for us.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What has he done, exactly, to "deserve" the QB2 status?

I get rooting for him and hoping he does well.  I do too, as I want him traded for max value, lol.  But thinking he's "earned" anything, particularly when he was handed the QB1 job from the jump without a competition and even now his only competition at the moment is Tim friggin Boyle, is a flawed take. 

Finances are likely the only reason the Jets were forced to go cheap with the QB3, not Aaron Rodgers' desires.  The Jets couldn't afford to spend substantial coin on the QB1, QB2 AND QB3.

If you came here thinking we'd largely be positive about Zach Wilson that's on you buddy.  Particularly in a Zach Wilson thread.  I didn't ask to be your favorite poster here, lol.

Wherever there's a Zach Wilson thread, there's Jetsfan80 living comfortably inside.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Streveler? Boyle? Yeah, it's a tragedy these guys are getting passed over emoji28.png

They had to go cheap at QB3 because of Wilson's "potential" and salary.  There were plenty of decent veteran QB2s out there that would be superior options to Boyle. 

Minshew, Dalton, Brissett, Heinicke, Mariota and Tyrod Taylor all were readily available this offseason.  Jameis Winston could probably be had for a song now that NO paid Carr.  Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles, Chase Daniel and Carson Wentz are all street FA's at the moment.

And of course bringing back Mike White would have been an option.  He only counts $2.8M against the cap for Miami right now.