most OVERpaid player for the Jets ?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Even at half league MVP he’s better than every QB we’ve had since color TV has been the thing. Favre stopped by here to show his country cannoli to anybody who would look on his way to Minnesota. Doesn’t  count, 

better than what we had and worth the money are two different things

I agree he's better than what we've had 

he's not worth 50 per year 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

better than what we had and worth the money are two different things

I agree he's better than what we've had 

he's not worth 50 per year 

"Worth" is a tricky metric in this situation. Jets are lucky a QB of his caliber was available at all. Because all the other payroll would've been a total waste with Zach at the helm again. So yes, $50 million is above market. But the alternative of not trading for him was worse.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

"Worth" is a tricky metric in this situation. Jets are lucky a QB of his caliber was available at all. Because all the other payroll would've been a total waste with Zach at the helm again. So yes, $50 million is above market. But the alternative of not trading for him was worse.

this whole thing was set up to be a Zach Super Bowl window of year 5-6 of JD's contract

Arod is the bail out attempt for how bad Zach was 

I see what you are saying but still don't see any realistic way he lives up to that money 

the Jets have to win like 11-13 this year to get out of the AFC East

Arod aside they might be more like an 8-10 win roster. The O line is a question, the schedule is brutal, and their best player is holding out.  

the Bills and Fins are loaded, the "easy" games are against the Pats a team they haven't beaten in 8 years 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

this whole thing was set up to be a Zach Super Bowl window of year 5-6 of JD's contract

I see what you are saying but still don't see any realistic way he lives up to that money 

the Jets have to win like 11-13 this year to get out of the AFC 

Arod aside they might be more like an 8-10 win roster. The O line is a question, the schedule is brutal, and their best player is holding out.  

All fair and agree self-preservation is a huge driver for JD to make this move.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets have to win like 11-13 this year to get out of the AFC 

Oh and you have to laugh that people somehow twist that trading 2 first rounders and paying $100 million on a 2-year rental actually demonstrates JD's confidence in Zach as the QB of the future.

Confirmation bias is a wonderous thing.

Edit: Yeah my bad didn't mean to deceive was just typing without thinking. Mea culpa. 1 first rounder, a trade down worth approximately a 3rd round pick, and $100 million. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh and you have to laugh that people somehow twist that trading 2 first rounders and paying $100 million on a 2-year rental actually demonstrates JD's confidence in Zach as the QB of the future.

i mean if you're gonna dream why not dream big? 

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

2 first rounders? Isn't that twisting things as well 🤣

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Or sooner. If -- heaven forbid -- Rodgers misses significant time and we are in the hunt, here's how I see this playing out. Jets sign one of these guys (if any still available) and announce it's insurance and that "Zach is our starter." Zach comes in and Zachs for 1.5 games and is yanked and the other guy takes over.

I don't think our real QB2 is on the roster.

I’m remaining hopeful that Zach can overcome his major qb issues.  I don’t think they need to sign anyone else to be backup. I’m also thinking that once this team gets used to playing as a team it’ll be far easier for Zach to come in to spell Rodgers.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, billo83 said:

2 first rounders? Isn't that twisting things as well 🤣

Yeah my bad didn't mean to deceive was just typing without thinking. Mea culpa. 1 first rounder, a trade down worth approximately a 3rd round pick, and $100 million. 

My overall point remains, however. There's no way to objectively interpret that as a sign of confidence in Zach. Now, tomorrow, or ever. Of course, this is the Jets and we've been doing dumb sh*t with quarterbacks since I've been alive.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah my bad didn't mean to deceive was just typing without thinking. Mea culpa. 1 first rounder, a trade down worth approximately a 3rd round pick, and $100 million. 

My overall point remains, however. There's no way to objectively interpret that as a sign of confidence in Zach. Now, tomorrow, or ever. Of course, this is the Jets and we've been doing dumb sh*t with quarterbacks since I've been alive.

Lol, just calling out the irony. And I believe the going rate on the trade down was a 4th and not a 3rd. 

But I get your point and it's understandable. I think they still have confidence in Zach and think he can develop under a de facto QB coach in AR. That may not be the case in the end, but I'd do the same thing if I was JD

4 hours ago, billo83 said:

Lol, just calling out the irony. And I believe the going rate on the trade down was a 4th and not a 3rd. 

But I get your point and it's understandable. I think they still have confidence in Zach and think he can develop under a de facto QB coach in AR. That may not be the case in the end, but I'd do the same thing if I was JD

Yeah, just going by the trade chart with the 3rd round comment, New England's sweetheart deal aside.

I actually think they know Zach is a bust but they don't have a choice but to express verbal confidence. But actions speak a whole lot louder than words and they are invested big time in a 39 y.o. QB. That doesn't smell like confidence, to me. Guess we'll find out in (hopefully) 2 years.

Have a good one, bro.

CJ Mosley is the most overpaid player on the Jets.

Tomlinson is right up there, but only might equal Mosley on a percentage-overpaid basis, not in gross dollars. 

In his 2nd year here I think LT3 will bounce back and at least be in the ballpark of his worth, though he'll still probably be overpaid some. On the other hand Mosley has nowhere to go but down, and at his prior level he was already one of the league's most overrated, overhyped players whose zone was repeatedly targeted by OCs whenever they needed a sure first down. His leadership value diminishes each season the young team gets another year of experience.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, billo83 said:

you left out the 2nd rounder (#42 overall) 

1st, 2nd, trade down approx. 4th rounder) and $109mm.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If Rodgers at $50 million is grossly overpaid, Zach at $8 million is infinity overpaid.

By this logic, paying Zach $1 a year would be more overpaying than paying Rodgers $100 million a year. Would you agree? Just trying to see your stance.

Well it’s obviously Rodgers. He’s coming off of an OK year not great and his team didn’t make the playoffs and only one W better than the Jets in ‘22. Look the salary range for an elite starting QB is around 50 which is what Rodgers is getting. He’s only signed for two seasons for 100 plus so in that way financially better for Jets than some of the other longer term deals. There’s question marks for all these guys like Lamar in terms of health. 

6 hours ago, Hex said:

By this logic, paying Zach $1 a year would be more overpaying than paying Rodgers $100 million a year. Would you agree? Just trying to see your stance.

When I wrote it I was being cheeky but upon further reflection, actually yeah, $1 is too much I don’t like his attitude and don’t think he belongs in the league.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

CJ Mosley is the most overpaid player on the Jets.

Tomlinson is right up there, but only might equal Mosley on a percentage-overpaid basis, not in gross dollars. 

In his 2nd year here I think LT3 will bounce back and at least be in the ballpark of his worth, though he'll still probably be overpaid some. On the other hand Mosley has nowhere to go but down, and at his prior level he was already one of the league's most overrated, overhyped players whose zone was repeatedly targeted by OCs whenever they needed a sure first down. His leadership value diminishes each season the young team gets another year of experience.

CJ is better at his job than Tomlinson and its not close.

23 hours ago, jgb said:

Serious question: would you trade Wilson for Lance straight up?

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

serious answer ... "are you high ?... Hellz no."

Just leaving this here for later. Don't mind me.

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:57 AM, Alka said:

And even better......Zach sits on the sidelines for this year, as he should.  Rodgers commits to playing next season, and it is now May of 2024.  The Jets must decide whether to pay Zach's 5th year option for the following season, or not.  If they pay his 5th year option, he will get over $20M for 2025 not having played since he bungled up 2022.  

I wonder what the Jets would do?????   HMMM??

Greys Anatomy Cut GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Haha 1