May 31 OTA Updates

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Additional point:  This team is a SB contender and needs a viable QB2 to "hold the fort" should Rodgers miss ~ 3 games.

Having Zach Wilson enter the season as the auto QB2 then go out there and jettison our chances at a division title would be madness and a fireable offense for everyone in charge.

I get that, I just think they are going to ride the odds that Rodgers plays all the games like he has for so many years. I think if Rodgers were to go down, Zach would get the first crack at playing but we pick up a QB as his back up to come in if he stinks.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Lol Milledge was overhyped to begin with.  I used to be in a baseball dynasty league and this guy hoarded Milledge like was going to be a 5 tool star.  I remember having online arguments because I thought Adam Miller (Indians pitcher with lights out stuff but ended up with blister issues and sucked) was going to be better.  They both ended up sucking.  

I'm somewhat OK with Rodgers not really playing much at OTAs.  I just want him to coach up the receivers and Zach Wilson.  

I distinctly remember being ecstatic when the Mets passed on Manny Ramirez to hold on to him. Oof.

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I get that, I just think they are going to ride the odds that Rodgers plays all the games like he has for so many years. I think if Rodgers were to go down, Zach would get the first crack at playing but we pick up a QB as his back up to come in if he stinks.

I just don't understand why we haven't done it already.  The plan can't be Tim Boyle or bust....

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just don't understand why we haven't done it already.  The plan can't be Tim Boyle or bust....

Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan, Teddy, Nick F, Chase Daniel, EJ Perry, Jake Luton ... virtual Hall of Justice there.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do any of them run backwards at the slightest hint of pressure before throwing into triple coverage?  

It's a low bar we're talking here.

Imagine Chase and GW on the outside with Rodgers under center.

Joe Douglas thought Zach Wilson was a better football player than Jamar Chase.

And that one stupid decision caused a ripple effect around the league.

The Bengals aren’t a SB contender without Jamar Chase.

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do any of them run backwards at the slightest hint of pressure before throwing into triple coverage?  

Describes Geno pretty well and he just signed for 3/$75M/$40M.  Sorry to go off topic.  I think I was supposed to be discussing Bill Pulsipher.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

majestic the rock GIF

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The Rock Swag GIF

image.gif.7f8ba36cce2856c4e616697f03ce5a82.gif

nice choice of GIF here.... first instance you can sense the distain and disappointment in Zach...

the second... the pride in the favorite TE prospects performance.. lol

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Matt Ryan...maybe? Idk. All those names suck and would be scared if they had to start a string of 3-4 games.

I know ZW is scary but if he can just step in and play like he did in that 4 game win stretch when Breece was healthy, then I think he'd do fine. As long as that stretch doesn't include NE lol.

• Upvote 1

Zac Wilson won 5 games last year and is not a turnover machine.  The team was in fact winning with him until Breece Hall went down.  If our Defense is as shi* hot as it is supposed to be the team can win even with a flawed guy like Wilson.  If Wilson is total garbage they have Boyle.

The people who want to jump off a bridge at the thought of Wilson taking another snap all loved Mike turnover white and zombine Flacco.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I distinctly remember being ecstatic when the Mets passed on Manny Ramirez to hold on to him. Oof.

There has to be a 30 for 30 on how those Indian teams didn't win a championship.  To have Sandy Alomar, Kenny Lofton, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Omar Vizquel, David Justice.  They even developed random guys like Burnitz, Sean Casey, Sexon to not win is ridiculous.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, win4ever said:

There has to be a 30 for 30 on how those Indian teams didn't win a championship.  To have Sandy Alomar, Kenny Lofton, Jim Thome, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Omar Vizquel, David Justice.  They even developed random guys like Burnitz, Sean Casey, Sexon to not win is ridiculous.  

Eddie Murray at DH and Jose Mesa as their closer too. 

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Zac Wilson won 5 games last year and is not a turnover machine.  The team was in fact winning with him until Breece Hall went down.  If our Defense is as shi* hot as it is supposed to be the team can win even with a flawed guy like Wilson.  If Wilson is total garbage they have Boyle.

The people who want to jump off a bridge at the thought of Wilson taking another snap all loved Mike turnover white and zombine Flacco.

Love how you have amnesia to the fact that Zach Wilson got to play with AVT and Breece Hall while Mike White didn't.  And one lousy drop by Braxton Berrios changed the narrative on White quite a bit, too. 

Wilson didn't turn the ball over so much because he was barely asked to throw.  The 5 games in '22 where he didn't throw picks he averaged only 22.4 throws per game.  And when he had to, the turnovers started coming (particularly against NE).  He threw 5 picks over his final 5 starts of the '22 season. 

There's a reason why the Dolphins are entrusting QB2 duties to White on a 2-year deal behind an oft-injured Tua and its because that White fella is not too shabby whether you admit it or not.  And unlike Zach, his teammates actually liked playing for him, and a few of his receivers performed a lot better with him under center too.

Yeah, maybe we have plenty of talent to cover up for Wilson's suckitude.  I'd  rather not take that chance if we can avoid it.  Why put a QB4-caliber QB on the field if you don't have to?  There's plenty of capable QB2's out there at this very moment.  

Zach Wilson threw for 6 TDs vs 7 INTs here and somehow you want to defend him for not turning the ball over.  Like, what are we doing here dude?

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Describes Geno pretty well and he just signed for 3/$75M/$40M.  Sorry to go off topic.  I think I was supposed to be discussing Bill Pulsipher.

So we just have to wait 7.5 more years for Zach to come around?  Brilliant!

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:
So we just have to wait 7.5 more years for Zach to come around?  Brilliant!

Or ... We let Zach play out his contract to see if he develops.

No one gonna cry if he gets another shot, has not progressed and gets released.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Love how you have amnesia to the fact that Zach Wilson got to play with AVT and Breece Hall while Mike White didn't.  And one lousy drop by Braxton Berrios changed the narrative on White quite a bit, too. 

Wilson didn't turn the ball over so much because he was barely asked to throw.  The 5 games in '22 where he didn't throw picks he averaged only 22.4 throws per game.  And when he had to, the turnovers started coming (particularly against NE).  He threw 5 picks over his final 5 starts of the '22 season. 

There's a reason why the Dolphins are entrusting QB2 duties to White on a 2-year deal behind an oft-injured Tua and its because that White fella is not too shabby whether you admit it or not.  And unlike Zach, his teammates actually liked playing for him, and a few of his receivers performed a lot better with him under center too.

Yeah, maybe we have plenty of talent to cover up for Wilson's suckitude.  I'd  rather not take that chance if we can avoid it.  Why put a QB4-caliber QB on the field if you don't have to?  There's plenty of capable QB2's out there at this very moment.  

Zach Wilson threw for 6 TDs vs 7 INTs here and somehow you want to defend him for not turning the ball over.  Like, what are we doing here dude?

Wilson is the plan. They aren’t going to bring in an expensive washed vet. 

the difference between white and Wilson is that white has 0.00% chance to be a starter and Wilson has a 25% chance. 

Rodgers is tough, reliable, gets rid of the ball quickly and gets star treatment. His backups were as busy as mannings. 

Zach has been doing the right things so far. He deserves a chance to redeem himself.  If he improves his play enough to make it a tough decision after this year, great. If not, he’s gone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

the difference between white and Wilson is that white has 0.00% chance to be a starter and Wilson has a 25% chance. 

Why?

The Miami Dolphins just brought in White as their QB2 with an oft-injured starter.  Presumably....he'll start some games this year.  Do you mean long-term?  Because while White lacks opportunity, Wilson lacks the ability to be a starter.  I'll take the former over the latter.

And don't talk to me about Wilson's physical gifts.  He's entering year 3 of his career and all the supposed "gifts" he has are utterly overrated.  He isn't Josh Allen.  He's an undersized kid who can't run but thinks he has the world's best arm.  He isn't all that talented.  Particularly not when compared to the most physically gifted QBs in the game right now.

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Or ... We let Zach play out his contract to see if he develops.

No one gonna cry if he gets another shot, has not progressed and gets released.

I'll cry over the completely wasted draft capital and whiffed opportunity cost.

We could have had Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts.  Or traded down for the equivalent of three 1st round picks (one of which we could certainly use right now considering we're unlikely to have one next year).

But nope.  Had to have the kid with the sweet off platform throws in shorts.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

this means to me that he's not certain to make the team

He's probably the 6th WR right now, behind Wilson, Lazard, Hardman, Davis and Cobb. And he's not that great on special teams.

The Jets brought in a load of highly regarded UDFAs for a reason. If those guys offer legit STs value (at least two of them are good return guys, while Kapp is very good on kick coverage teams) and can play from scrimmage if needed, Mims is under serious threat this year.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?

The Miami Dolphins just brought in White as their QB2 with an oft-injured starter.  Presumably....he'll start some games this year.  Do you mean long-term?  Because while White lacks opportunity, Wilson lacks the ability to be a starter.  I'll take the former over the latter.

And don't talk to me about Wilson's physical gifts.  He's entering year 3 of his career and all the supposed "gifts" he has are utterly overrated.  He isn't Josh Allen.  He's an undersized kid who can't run but thinks he has the world's best arm.  He isn't all that talented.  Particularly not when compared to the most physically gifted QBs in the game right now.

Mike White is the Dolphins third QB.  He’s not ahead of Skyler.  Though they both suck equally 

I'll cry over the completely wasted draft capital and whiffed opportunity cost.
We could have had Ja'Marr Chase or Kyle Pitts.  Or traded down for the equivalent of three 1st round picks (one of which we could certainly use right now considering we're unlikely to have one next year).
But nope.  Had to have the kid with the sweet off platform throws in shorts.
We agree on everything except giving him another shot.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes because not dog sh*t is better than dog sh*t

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We are 100% trying to fluff up Zach so we can flip him for something. I really don't think the Jets are going anywhere if Rodgers goes down with a significant injury. If it's like a 2-3 week type injury, I think Zach gets the nod and they run the ball like a mother f*cker lol

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Wilson is the plan.

He’s also working uphill. Saleh is clearly done with him, the team did not and does not want him to play, and it sounds like he’s struggling in practice so far. There’s going to come a moment of reckoning where Hackett and the coaches sit down and make a decision on what to do with Wilson, and that time could come sooner than later if they’re going to be giving Rodgers veteran rest days and Wilson is making Garrett Wilson dive for worm-burners every practice. They either have to get a viable #2 in here so they can put Zach on the shelf, or they can trick someone into taking him off their hands under the cover of night in the next few weeks. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s also working uphill. Saleh is clearly done with him, the team did not and does not want him to play, and it sounds like he’s struggling in practice so far. There’s going to come a moment of reckoning where Hackett and the coaches sit down and make a decision on what to do with Wilson, and that time could come sooner than later if they’re going to be giving Rodgers veteran rest days and Wilson is making Garrett Wilson dive for worm-burners every practice. They either have to get a viable #2 in here so they can put Zach on the shelf, or they can trick someone into taking him off their hands under the cover of night in the next few weeks. 

I also can't help but think there is something to Rodgers, Strevler, & Boyle going to a play in the city while Zach was out with his family. Probably nothing but it crossed my mind.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I also can't help but think there is something to Rodgers, Strevler, & Boyle going to a play in the city while Zach was out with his family. Probably nothing but it crossed my mind.

Probably smart of him to stay out of the crosshairs and just do his work in silence, but yeah. You’d have expected Rodgers to get him out to one of these public spaces sometime soon, if only for the photo op.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Look how bad this pass is. His body is corkscrewed and the ball comes out of his hands like he’s throwing a shotput. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah no doubt he would have been cut after whatever he said to Saleh in that meeting after the “no” game where Saleh decided he needed a reset. If he wasn’t the #2 pick with guaranteed money he would be long gone. It’s really not worth discussing him being traded or cut this year. He is getting this full year to redeem himself 

• Upvote 1