Thoughts on Jason Brownlee & Mekhi Becton

Brownlee contested.
http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2023_07/Screenshot_20230723_130335_Twitter.jpg.35677a9de3225e2e52984d98fd22fb22.jpg
Picture is about as clear as the jfk footage

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree. That would shock me beyond belief. I know I am crazy but I thought they were going to pick up his 5th year option.

I wouldn't be so sure with Saleh. If you remember it later came out that Moore had an issue with LaFleur not Zach, and Saleh protected MLF to the end. Saleh wants only players that fit his image, as you mentioned positive only, multi-position, type A personality all that. Moore Becton and Mims did not fit that. 2 of 3 are gone. I just have zero confidence in this coaching staff. LaFleur was the offensive issue as much as Zach but instead of forcing MLF to adapt he benched him for Mike White who is not a good QB. I just don't see our current mix working. Maybe just the talent with show out despite coaching but not holding my breath.

• More Ugh 4

5 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I wouldn't be so sure with Saleh. If you remember it later came out that Moore had an issue with LaFleur not Zach, and Saleh protected MLF to the end. Saleh wants only players that fit his image, as you mentioned positive only, multi-position, type A personality all that. Moore Becton and Mims did not fit that. 2 of 3 are gone. I just have zero confidence in this coaching staff. LaFleur was the offensive issue as much as Zach but instead of forcing MLF to adapt he benched him for Mike White who is not a good QB. I just don't see our current mix working. Maybe just the talent with show out despite coaching but not holding my breath.

Three very different players you’re lumping together there. Moore shot his way out of town, having a personal hissy fit while the team was doing well. That’s generally not the type of player anyone wants on their team, which probably makes him a fit on the bad boy Browns. Mims, otoh, just never clicked. They tried with him, and he never got it. I saw one Lions tweet referring to him as one of their “core four” WRs. I just hope he does enough to get the Jets their conditional sixth round pick, and even that seems like I’m hoping for too much. 

With Becton, there’s a lot going on. He came into the league immature and overly sensitive. He’s had some bad injury luck, but then he put on all that weight on his own. Now he’s in better shape than he’s ever been in his life, and his attitude seems to have done a 180°. I agree that the coaches didn’t do a good job with him initially, but he seems to’ve figured it out for himself. I imagine that becoming a father had a maturing effect. There may still be some bad feelings between him and the staff, but I would hope they’re not bad enough to trade him when his value is low. Best case for the player and team is that he balls out this year. They should be doing everything they can to make that happen. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Saleh backed MLF because Moore was 100% wrong.  MLF had to be backed.  When the team is 6-2 you shouldn’t bitch to the press that you don’t get enough balls thrown to you.  
Wrongs don’t become rights because you don’t like the coach.  
Mims and Becton are even hard to dump on MLF

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

I agree. That would shock me beyond belief. I know I am crazy but I thought they were going to pick up his 5th year option.

As did I.... I understand why JD didn't as a motivational tool to get MB off his fat a$$ and earn an extension. Costs us extra $ to FT him, but if he balls out, then worth it and JD can structure extension or trade.

If Becton has indeed figured it out then he must realize that it is in everyone's best interest, especially his own if he plays great this year.  Put simply we still want a shot at his huge upside and we have hopes for at least one injury free season out of his first three.  I think there is very little chance of him being traded given that he is under control this year and given our recent history with O-line health issues.  As a worst case he is affordable depth.

With that being said, another team might have their own O-line injurie problems and if they want to knock our socks off with an offer then by all means.

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

i did as well. Trading him now would make no sense. If he has a pro bowl season you could prob get a 1 for him...even if u dont think he fits team culture or u dont want to risk a long term investment.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Claymation said:

He got injured. Doesn't mean he doesn't have talent.

Becton is a really a weird guy to understand.  Unlike Zach who draws hate for his on field performance, most of the anti-Becton stuff is self-inflicted off field drama queen s**t.  Fans would cut him more slack for the last two seasons if he would just STFU and go to work...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Becton is a really a weird guy to understand.  Unlike Zach who draws hate for his on field performance, most of the anti-Becton stuff is self-inflicted off field drama queen s**t.  Fans would cut him more slack for the last two seasons if he would just STFU and go to work...

Jets fans like whipping boys, Zach and Mekhi are their favorites. They have made up their minds on these two, and nothing they do will change that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Jets fans like whipping boys, Zach and Mekhi are their favorites. They have made up their minds on these two, and nothing they do will change that.

100% this.

I find myself wondering if Zach and Mekhi both ball out this pre-season, and Mekhi slides back into his role at LT and plays like we all know he is capable of, who will the resident trolls turn on next?  

Even if the Jets are 7-2 and in control and everyone is balling out, there are a few people here whose need to identify the next failure will be burning a hole in their souls.  Will we be hearing about how JD still deserves to be fired for signing Cobb who only has 12 catches at that point because WIlson, Davis, Lazard and Hardman have been feasting?  Will we be hearing about how Will Mac was a blown draft pick because he only has 2 sacks out of the 25 the DL has at that point?   

Only the shadow knows...

It's amazing that even now, the troll noise has dampened down to a low grumble of frustration.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Saleh backed MLF because Moore was 100% wrong.  MLF had to be backed.  When the team is 6-2 you shouldn’t bitch to the press that you don’t get enough balls thrown to you.  
Wrongs don’t become rights because you don’t like the coach.  
Mims and Becton are even hard to dump on MLF

In terms of Saleh backing MLF I was more thinking of all the  ways he mishandled Zach most but this as well. WRs are divas. We should have embraced  Mims and Moore and not just  cast them out. Just my view though

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Most Jet fans root for the underdog, the overachiever. Wayne Chrebet being a beloved player over Keyshawn would be a good example.

Zach and Becton are underachievers. We can debate the reasons why but it’s undeniable that neither has come close to achieving their potential. 

5 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Most Jet fans root for the underdog, the overachiever. Wayne Chrebet being a beloved player over Keyshawn would be a good example.

Zach and Becton are underachievers. We can debate the reasons why but it’s undeniable that neither has come close to achieving their potential. 

Zach hasn't been good, Mekhi on the hand has been injured plus has an issue with his weight. Underachiever, not sure I agree about that with Mekhi. More like fat-shaming.