Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

Anyone watch his footwork and weight transfer?  I meant too but was watching the line. 
For the most part it was much better .. he was throwing from a solid platform in the pocket .. one play broke down and skittish Zach returned for a brief moment. Had one bomb that was pretty nice (50+ yarder)

Overall he was good. Not mind bending or anything .. completed the short passes and mostly stood tall and climbed the pocket.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Unlike Steve Young who sat behind Montana and was coached in a “system” by one of the top 5 greatest coaches in NFL history, the Jets don’t have a system.  Zach is sitting behind a great QB who is the system. 

Well the offense they run is the same offense that the one of "5 greatest coaches" of all time ran.

Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

Well the offense they run is the same offense that the one of "5 greatest coaches" of all time ran.

Just sayin'.

There has never been an offense run like Walsh's offense was run.   There have been many pretenders.

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You’d have to assume regardless of how he actually looks in practice and all, that the staff and all would build him up. If nothing else to boost his value. So I could see this happening. So far down the line. Not worth debating really 

There are a 100 guys in his position right now. Who of who are still in college, with 1 or 2 yrs to go. Some are young backups now rising up or waiting for their chance. No one is handing Zach the keys based on reputation from how he is doing in practice. We all painfully were told ( by coaches and Zach ) how well he was doing in practice last yr, only to display some of the worst qb play in long stretch of games the NFL has ever seen. Not saying he won’t get another shot, but he definitely is going to have to white knuckle it, in REAL GAMES. 

I think he can learn a ton from Aaron, who is very willing to teach him. But some just can’t put it all together in real NFL games what they are taught, learned in practice. Last night certainly wasn’t a real game, and other than 1 good throw, he didn’t show much. But good news is, no one is rushing him. He has yrs to figure it out. If not, always XFL

After Zach was benched/deactivated last year it looked like he handled it well and wasn't a distraction. I remember seeing a tape of him joking with Saleh during practice. It seems like the same this year he's accepted his demotion and admits it's based on his bad play. He actually looks to happy sometimes. I mean Rodgers sat for 3 years behind Favre and says he learned a lot. Maybe the same kind of in reverse for Zach?

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

After Zach was benched/deactivated last year it looked like he handled it well and wasn't a distraction. I remember seeing a tape of him joking with Saleh during practice. It seems like the same this year he's accepted his demotion and admits it's based on his bad play. He actually looks to happy sometimes. I mean Rodgers sat for 3 years behind Favre and says he learned a lot. Maybe the same kind of in reverse for Zach?

Rodgers got reps in preaseason when he sat behind Favre though. You had a perfect confidence building game last night and they still weren’t letting him play. The two third down situations he had one was a bad overthrow and the other was batted down at the line (a problem he’s had since he’s been a Jet). And then he’s out of the game. It’s hard to fathom what they’re doing besides hiding him. Even his rookie year they barely let him play in the preseason. 

I am not a ZW fan...

However he looked solid last night, just not great.

He was one slip away from extending a drive. 

He looked calmer and he was faster on his progressions.

The best part is being mistake free.

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers got reps in preaseason when he sat behind Favre though. You had a perfect confidence building game last night and they still weren’t letting him play. The two third down situations he had one was a bad overthrow and the other was batted down at the line (a problem he’s had since he’s been a Jet). And then he’s out of the game. It’s hard to fathom what they’re doing besides hiding him. Even his rookie year they barely let him play in the preseason. 

I think he's still their best bet as a backup to Rodgers. We know what happens when starting QBs are injured and out for periods of time. Or maybe they're working on his confidence. But Rodgers is going to be starting for at least two years unless the Jets pull a Steve Cohen. If the Jets are losing with Rodgers and they freak out. I don't know the market for Zach what they could get for him in a deal and if it makes sense cap wise. But as things stand now I don't see a future for Zach with the Jets. I think they'd like to trade him if possible. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he's still their best bet as a backup to Rodgers. We know what happens when starting QBs are injured and out for periods of time. Or maybe they're working on his confidence. But Rodgers is going to be starting for at least two years unless the Jets pull a Steve Cohen. If the Jets are losing with Rodgers and they freak out. I don't know the market for Zach what they could get for him in a deal and if it makes sense cap wise. But as things stand now I don't see a future for Zach with the Jets. I think they'd like to trade him if possible. 

I’m sure he’s better than Boyle (well maybe not sure sure). But the only way he can improve is if he gets real reps. I don’t get the rationale behind hiding him unless he’s that bad and they’re doing him a favor by not embarrassing him in prime time.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sure he’s better than Boyle (well maybe not sure sure). But the only way he can improve is if he gets real reps. I don’t get the rationale behind hiding him unless he’s that bad and they’re doing him a favor by not embarrassing him in prime time.

Not sure why you are insisting they are hiding him. He probably got the exact number of series they planned for him. They are not going to foolishly endanger him, as he is our #2 QB. Their #2 did not even play. You hate Zach so much that once again you just ruined the game thread without really even having a take other than he sucks, and even if Zach made a good play you would not acknowledge it. If Zach started a game 15/15 for 2225 yards and 3 TDs and then threw a pick on ATT 16 you would jump into the game thread and state that "Zach sucks"

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Not sure why you are insisting they are hiding him. He probably got the exact number of series they planned for him. They are not going to foolishly endanger him, as he is our #2 QB. Their #2 did not even play. You hate Zach so much that once again you just ruined the game thread without really even having a take other than he sucks, and even if Zach made a good play you would not acknowledge it. If Zach started a game 15/15 for 2225 yards and 3 TDs and then threw a pick on ATT 16 you would jump into the game thread and state that "Zach sucks"

How is playing him endangering him? Was McDonald endangered by playing? I don’t hate anyone I’m puzzled by the approach here. The only way Wilson can improve is by playing. I don’t care about Cleveland’s #2. Watson is going to be the their QB for the next decade. Wilson was drafted TWO overall two years ago and they still feel the need to hide him from reps. As far as me knocking him, he has yet to have a good game in the league. Whether it be preseason or regular season. We’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How is playing him endangering him? Was McDonald endangered by playing? I don’t hate anyone I’m puzzled by the approach here. The only way Wilson can improve is by playing. I don’t care about Cleveland’s #2. Watson is going to be the their QB for the next decade. Wilson was drafted TWO overall two years ago and they still feel the need to hide him from reps. As far as me knocking him, he has yet to have a good game in the league. Whether it be preseason or regular season. We’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

One quarter in the first preseason game of four is fine. They got a couple scores and the big play and pulled him. He’ll play more over the next three. I suspect that Mond was only in there for as long as was is because they didn’t score until there were 30 seconds left in the half. 

The danger for a QB playing in those situations is because of guys like Will McDonald playing all day, while you’re playing guys on the OL who won’t be making the team. 

9 minutes ago, slats said:

One quarter in the first preseason game of four is fine. They got a couple scores and the big play and pulled him. He’ll play more over the next three. I suspect that Mond was only in there for as long as was is because they didn’t score until there were 30 seconds left in the half. 

The danger for a QB playing in those situations is because of guys like Will McDonald playing all day, while you’re playing guys on the OL who won’t be making the team. 

It’s not about quarters it’s about reps. 5 passes? He shouldn’t have even played if that was the plan. This preaseason was Wilson’s Super Bowl…I just can’t believe ( well I can because I knew this would happen) that they’re not letting him play more. Simulating real games, including halftime and coming back out is the only way he’s going to get better. He’s still only played 22 career games. Take off the training wheels and let him sink or swim. It seems they’re scared to put him out there with people watching. If he can’t play at this level then bring in Bridgewater or Ryan and move on.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I’m curious what we could get for Zach also. Maybe some qb guru HC who thinks he can fix all that is wrong with Zach. I don’t see it would be any higher than a 4th. The more important question is you bring up, is Zach our best bet at qb2? I really have doubts. He is an extreme wild card, not a backup you know what you’re going to get. Rodgers seems to enjoy coaching him, but that could also be an issue. We want rodgers completely focused on max his play, not worrying about playing wet nurse to Zach.

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Playing extended time in preseason games especially for key players and doubly especially true for QBs is very dangerous because you are playing your QB behind your weakest OL against players that are desperately trying to make a play. In addition, Saleh has already said he values scrimmages more and Zach will get a TON of scrimmage sacks. 

Zach will likely get some time with most of the 1s in preseason game 3 which will be good reps as he will also have our starting OL

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

I’m curious what we could get for Zach also. Maybe some qb guru HC who thinks he can fix all that is wrong with Zach. I don’t see it would be any higher than a 4th. The more important question is you bring up, is Zach our best bet at qb2? I really have doubts. He is an extreme wild card, not a backup you know what you’re going to get. Rodgers seems to enjoy coaching him, but that could also be an issue. We want rodgers completely focused on max his play, not worrying about playing wet nurse to Zach.

The natural swap would be Zach to the Niners for Trey Lance, but Douglas would stand to end up with egg on his face if Shanahan made Zach functional out there. Lance might be shot already. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s not about quarters it’s about reps. 5 passes? He shouldn’t have even played if that was the plan. This preaseason was Wilson’s Super Bowl…I just can’t believe ( well I can because I knew this would happen) that they’re not letting him play more. Simulating real games, including halftime and coming back out is the only way he’s going to get better. He’s still only played 22 career games. Take off the training wheels and let him sink or swim. It seems they’re scared to put him out there with people watching. If he can’t play at this level then bring in Bridgewater or Ryan and move on.

I think they have both Zach and Becton in the same bucket. Both sunk cost guys whose contracts they’re stuck with and waiting out. Neither guy has any chance of being extended, so you just have to roll them out there occasionally and hope for the best. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Playing extended time in preseason games especially for key players and doubly especially true for QBs is very dangerous because you are playing your QB behind your weakest OL against players that are desperately trying to make a play. In addition, Saleh has already said he values scrimmages more and Zach will get a TON of scrimmage sacks. 

Zach will likely get some time with most of the 1s in preseason game 3 which will be good reps as he will also have our starting OL

Dude he needs to play because he hasn’t shown he can play in the regular season. Reps against base defenses in real time is how you improve. It feels like the Jets are doing him and his family a solid by taking the path of least resistance to wind down his contract and land the plane without getting totally embarrassed. The rookie from UCLA was allowed to play without any restrictions last night. In 3 years we have yet to see Wislon be even allowed to do that. Year 1 they were limiting his preseason reps. Last year with the injury timeline. Nothing has made sense from the beginning. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The natural swap would be Zach to the Niners for Trey Lance, but Douglas would stand to end up with egg on his face if Shanahan made Zach functional out there. Lance might be shot already. 

What about darnold ? Lol. Hard to believe they view him higher than Lance ? Giving up on him way to early. Kid hasn’t even had a shot to F up. Unlike Wilson sh*ttting the bed for 2 years.. teddy Bridgewater is definitely a better qb than Zach right now. Everyone knows that. Only reason why they didn’t try to bring him or someone similar is Zach is already making qb2 $$, and they don’t want to tie up $ to another with a limited cap. Otherwise it would make too Much sense to do that and slide zach where he belongs. The number 3.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The deep throw was nice.

The three and out on the first series, pirouette followed by tripping over his own feet, and general lack of production were not so nice.

Seems like the same old Zach to me.

sugarplum fairy nutcracker GIF by New York City Ballet 

Bet he thinks he had a good game too 🙈 lol. Some of the games he played were the worst qb play in history of NFL, and he was walking around like he didn’t need to apologize to the D lol

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’d think that the Zach guys would want him to play more. To show what he can do and get playing time that is more valuable than practice snaps.

This. Becton and Wilson are huge story lines this summer and you get major pushback for whatever reason when their performance and lack of reps -are brought up. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of know-it-all Jets fans have to eat crow, when Zach develops and becomes our FQB when Rodgers retires or goes to another team as the starter and has a great career. 

I bought power ball lottery tickets on the same principle.  I'm so looking forward to being a billionaire and rubbing it in the faces of all my homeless friends. 

• Haha 1

I was disappointed in Zach last night.  I really expected better.  Offense never got into rhythm at all.  Did not matter who was in there.  But out of the 5 QBs who played last night, Zach had the most experience, playing against (and with) 2s, he had clean pockets, but could not move the ball consistently.  I expected him to look like the best QB on the field yesterday, but he did not.

The one deep throw was nice, put it where his receiver could make a play, and the receiver did.  Very nice play.  I also liked one screen pass where the he stood in the pocket with the rush coming and calmly delivered the short pass accurately and on time to Izzy.  Short gain, but still a nice play..  But nothing was sustained.  No consistency.

Just a handful of snaps in the first pre-season game, so I am not going to overreact, but I hoped for and expected better.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was disappointed in Zach last night.  I really expected better.  Offense never got into rhythm at all.  Did not matter who was in there.  But out of the 5 QBs who played last night, Zach had the most experience, playing against (and with) 2s, he had clean pockets, but could not move the ball consistently.  I expected him to look like the best QB on the field yesterday, but he did not.

The one deep throw was nice, put it where his receiver could make a play, and the receiver did.  Very nice play.  I also liked one screen pass where the he stood in the pocket with the rush coming and calmly delivered the short pass accurately and on time to Izzy.  Short gain, but still a nice play..  But nothing was sustained.  No consistency.

Just a handful of snaps in the first pre-season game, so I am not going to overreact, but I hoped for and expected better.

Not sure why you were disappointed.  Didn’t make any stupid throws, set up was cleaner.  Completed a screen pass w/o a bounce.  This is progress. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Look at this point Zach isn't going to get any time in a meaningful game unless Rodgers injured. He will play in exhibition games and maybe some mop up duty regular season. Unless they use him in trick plays he has the legs and the arm for it. But that's doubtful. Look the assumption is with Rodgers the Jets will win and make the playoffs. If that doesn't happen how will Rodgers react and more important what will the owner do. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not sure why you were disappointed.  Didn’t make any stupid throws, set up was cleaner.  Completed a screen pass w/o a bounce.  This is progress. 

Year 3 of the 2 pick in the draft and in a meaningless game he looked nervous and really didn't produce anything looking like a Drive.   It would have been nice if the O had a nice drive and looked in command.  It didn't.   

Not making stupid throws or bouncing a short pass isn't the criteria for a pro QB.  Sadly, in this case, it counts for progress. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Year 3 of the 2 pick in the draft and in a meaningless game he looked nervous and really didn't produce anything looking like a Drive.   It would have been nice if the O had a nice drive and looked in command.  It didn't.   

Not making stupid throws or bouncing a short pass isn't the criteria for a pro QB.  Sadly, in this case, it counts for progress. 

Decision making was better as well.  Of course we’re starting from the ground floor.  I still wish he’d get rid of the ball sooner, he keeps looking for home runs.  

On the deep throw he looked off the safety and throws a nice pass to Malik. 

Zach looked comfortable in the pocket, didn't seemed flustered. Had an overthrow but threw it where no one else could get it. He did slip on the sack. While he wasn't great, it was a step in the right direction.

It seems to me that most of this forum has made up their mind on Zach either way, and no matter what he does, neither side will look at it objectively. Whether its positive or negative. It's a shame, only a handful of posters want to actually discuss what happened last night.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Look that 50 yard pass play was pretty good. It was a professional pass play you can't do much better than that. And the batted pass was amateur hour. Look if Rodgers injured Boyle could be this years version of Mike White. He didn't look good last night and remember White had bad games too. If Boyle outplays Zach in preseason he should win the job. But he didn't last night. And Strev probably doesn't make the team. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:59 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

In my entire Jets fandom there have only been 2 players the Jets let go that was truly regrettable:  James Farrior and Demario Davis.

However, there have been countless instances of the team hanging on to a sh*tty player for too long.  David Barrett, Justin McCareins, Eric Smith ( @Bleedin Green ), Mark Sanchez, Wayne Hunter, Kyle Wilson, Buster Skrine, Chuma Edoga, Conor McDermott, Denzel Mims, Nathan Shepherd, Ashtyn Davis  ( @pointman), CJ Mosley ( @Sperm Edwards ), etc etc

Color me unconcerned about this.

Should have kept Danny Woodhead too.

• Upvote 1