Sean Payton taking shots at Hackett and Jets

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

The snail from Sponge Bob? I meant Sean. Haha 

You must be doing some heavy stuff if you are confusing Sean and Gary Payton. We’re you next after Sean on that bong hit?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Didnt Bridgewater win like 5 starts with Sean payton?

Not sure. I guess it depends on when the article was written, it's possible Bridgewater won those game later on. Having said that, the point is maybe payton should keep his opinion to himself seeing as it was one qb that made his career what it is very much like BB*. Maybe he really wanted to coach AR and is now just a jealous bitch. Also, didn't his team have to deal with a big bounty scandal by his defense or something to that extent? The guy should just focus on his team instead of trashing others. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Who, oh, **** that guy...

Sean Payton - Drew Brees = Not much

"Payton has never actually won a game without Brees as his quarterback in 13 seasons as a head coach. He is 0-3 -- losing once when Brees was injured and twice when the Saints rested their starters in Week 17."

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/32238/sean-payton-has-the-brains-bravado-to-win-without-drew-brees

Wasn't Teddy Bridgewater like 4-0, and Taysom Hill 7-2 as starters for Payton over the past couple years?

Not sure on the exact numbers, but that definitely is the case.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Wasn't Teddy Bridgewater like 4-0, and Taysom Hill 7-2 as starters for Payton over the past couple years?

Not sure on the exact numbers, but that definitely is the case.

This is why I can't stand public education. That was after the article was written, and does it change the fact that the guy's whole career is essentially based on the efforts of one hof qb minus, what, one season maybe... Move past the meaningless semantics.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

This is why I can't stand public education. That was after the article was written, and does it change the fact that the guy's whole career is essentially based on the efforts of one hof qb minus, what, one season maybe... Move past the meaningless semantics.

Can't this just be explained by the simple fact that great QB's win games?  And it's hard to win without one?  If you have Brees as your QB for 13 years, and the stat you showed as 0-3?  What kind of stat is that?  How is that meaningful at all?  And you're accusing me of being a victim of public education?

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kinda shocking he'd say that about Hackett. Pretty rare in the "coaching fraternity" you see guys bury each other like that. "One of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL." Them's fightin' words. Makes you wonder if there's something else there.

As far as the jab at the Jets, there's some truth to that although clearly the org doesn't want to be on Hard Knocks -- and acquiring a HOF QB is always going to lead to a "splashy" offseason.

It's less shocking than if he said Wison is completely washed up.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He's not wrong. 

Except where he slips and slides around Wilson and his absolutely putrid performance. This is the usual politics that people do when they replace somebody else in office. They did everything wrong, the team/country/company was in bad hands. Followed by: I'm here to fix it the right way... Same old BS.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Except where he slips and slides around Wilson and his absolutely putrid performance. This is the usual politics that people do when they replace somebody else in office. They did everything wrong, the team/country/company was in bad hands. Followed by: I'm here to fix it the right way... Same old BS.

I suspect if Wilson is as washed up as I thought he was at the end of the 2021 season, Payton will bench him. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure, but there's a diplomatic way to divert blame from Wilson. "One of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL" is about as inflammatory as it gets.

Agree I would have prefered he had said Hackett did one of the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen and RW looks completely cooked.  

What's the diplomatic way to describe the job Gase did with the Jets.  "Sucked more than was necessary"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

But he’s just the coordinator, not the HC, and ARod has worked with him so I’m not too concerned about it.

Didn't the head coach in Green Bay run the Rodgers offense?

That's what I heard. If that's true, why is Hackett even here?

• More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree I would have prefered he had said Hackett did one of the worst coaching jobs I have ever seen and RW looks completely cooked.  

What's the diplomatic way to describe the job Gase did with the Jets.  "Sucked more than was necessary"?

"Clearly things didn't work out the way anyone intended so a change of direction was obviously needed. We wanted to overhaul the culture and process from the ground up and get everyone outside the box."

…or something equally vanilla.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Facts said:

Didn't the head coach in Green Bay run the Rodgers offense?

That's what I heard. If that's true, why is Hackett even here?

I finally researched this and it's true.

We have an OC who didn't call plays in his only successful OC gig, and failed miserably when he did call plays.

GREAT!

"Before joining the Broncos, Hackett served as Green Bay's offensive coordinator, though he did not call plays"

https://www.denver7.com/sports/broncos/jets-hire-former-broncos-coach-nathaniel-hackett-as-offensive-coordinator#:~:text=Before joining the Broncos%2C Hackett,his salary with the Jets.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because Aaron Rodgers wanted him. Getting Aaron Rodgers and setting him up to be comfortable and succeed right away was objective 1, 2, and 3 of the offseason, if you haven't been paying attention.

Except Hackett wasn't the reason Rodgers succeeded (from a coaching standpoint). LaFleur was.

We didn't bring in LaFleur.

We brought in the guy that handed LaFleur coffee.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

We all wanted Payton,  so let's not get all butt-hurt about it.  Let week 5 be the story teller.

Payton is a fantastic coach, he didn't say anything wrong, that whole team collapsed.  He is also trying to take heat off of his QB.

As for Hacket, some guys are a better offensive or defensive co than a head coach.  Wade Phillips, not a HC, but a great DC.   In his defense, I think pairing a very young coach with an older QB who wants things catered to him puts the HC in a bad position.  One had 25 million salary, one has 245 million salary, you know who has the real say.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Can't this just be explained by the simple fact that great QB's win games?  And it's hard to win without one?  If you have Brees as your QB for 13 years, and the stat you showed as 0-3?  What kind of stat is that?  How is that meaningful at all?  And you're accusing me of being a victim of public education?

The point, which seems to have escaped you, is that the guy is running his mouth and that he himself has done nothing as a coach aside from ride Brees' coattails. Throw in the fact that his team at the time was penalized for 'bounty-gate' and maybe he should focus on his own instead of ragging on the jets for no reason. Yes, the public school system which teaches people to mindlessly regurgitate 'facts' without any analysis of such.

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The point, which seems to have escaped you, is that the guy is running his mouth and that he himself has done nothing as a coach aside from ride Brees' coattails. Throw in the fact that his team at the time was penalized for 'bounty-gate' and maybe he should focus on his own instead of ragging on the jets for no reason. Yes, the public school system which teaches people to mindlessly regurgitate 'facts' without any analysis of such.

As a point of clarity.  Was your analysis the result of a public or private school education?  

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets don’t win this year then people get fired. Saleh has a lot to prove. 

More to the point, it's now on Saleh's shoulders to respond to this smack! I know if I was in Saleh's shoes I would be pointing out the Head Hunting Scandal that Payton was at the center of when he was coaching in New Orleans.

27 minutes ago, Facts said:

Except Hackett wasn't the reason Rodgers succeeded (from a coaching standpoint). LaFleur was.

We didn't bring in LaFleur.

We brought in the guy that handed LaFleur coffee.

Rodgers was terrific before Hackett or LaFleur showed up.  Hard to give either one of them cred for Rodgers being successful.  Hackett probably isn't a brilliant OC.  There's not much in his resume to indicate that he is.  NFL teams win SB without great OC's all the time.  OC's who happen to have loaded offenses with really good QB's tend to move the ball and score points.  

Rodgers likes him and if he brings him coffee and Rodgers likes to play gin with him who cares?

We have a head coach who has basically sucked for a couple of years.  If the Jets win a SB he will be looked on as a great HC from that day forward. 

• Upvote 1