Training Camp Updates -- Tues Aug 22

Lith

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Just a bit outside - The Berkshire Edge

HOU, CAR, TEN, NE, GB, IND, NYG, ATL just to get the ball rolling...I'd guess we are around 20th.  But it all hinges on GW.

That’s a tough one because not all teams have a true #1 WR.  Garrett Wilson is the truth.  We are at least average 2-5, IF healthy.

#2-3:  Lazard/Davis have had success in their careers.  They’re not close to the top of their WR positional grouping but they are not close to the bottom.  Lazard is one of the better WRs in the red zone and both are good blockers 

#4:  Hardman is a playmaker who had 6 TDs in 8 games last year

#5:  Is there a more efficient #5 in the league than Cobb?  His catch rate versus targets has been in the 70-75% range.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The idea that anyone could fault a HC for one of his players getting injured has always been nuts to me. It's tackle football - guys get hurt. Starters, including starting QBs, have historically played at least one series in the preseason. It wasn't Herm's fault that Pennington broke his wrist 20 years ago, either. Even the controversy over Rex playing Sanchez late into the Snoopy Bowl was overblown, IMO. 

Agreed. Also, what's the difference between holding someone out only to have them injured in week 1? It's somehow better that it wasn't in the preseason? Bonkers.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agreed. Also, what's the difference between holding someone out only to have them injured in week 1? It's somehow better that it wasn't in the preseason? Bonkers.

Preseason games can be more dangerous because there are players on the other side who may be desperate to make an impression, desperate enough to hurt one of your own guys. I wouldn’t play my starters unless I had an agreement with the opposing coach that he’d also be playing his. I don’t need any jints wannabe superheroes flying at Aaron Rodgers’ knees. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Especially when we trade for Jonathan Taylor and run a Wishbone offense.

If ThE JetS weRe truLy goiNg fOr it, tHey WouLd mAke thIs tRade.  HaLl is cOming oFf aN inJurEd kNee anD CooK an iNjurEd sHoulder.  

You CaN nEver hAve Too mAny pLaymakers.  A bacKField of Hall, Cook and Taylor woulD Be unstOpPable!  200 Carries each and 1000 yards each!!!  Do iT. Who carEs abouT thE caP.   It's nOt my MonEy?

• Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Because preseason games are completely meaningless and week 1 counts.  Because a few reps in a preseason game mean nothing and can be replicated in practices with pads without the contact on the QB.  Because the risk outweighs the reward.  Those would be the arguments. 

*non-padded practice* - Team practiced like they would during regular season - Becton and AVT were pretty cool to watch together in the run. Potential is there to be a long-term duo. - Quincy Williams looks good - Breece Hall continues to look comfortable post recovery.

34 minutes ago, slats said:

If they’re treating this game like a tuneup, that’s exactly what they should be doing.

Yeah it’s interesting with the new cut down rule. Saleh said on 1JD they Sunday would be like a regular season Monday and that they were simulating a regular week. 

“camp” is over 

what value is there in having 90 guys now ? What is TJ Luther doing during the team competition reps ? Doubt he’s getting in there. Wouldn’t surprise me if they dump the new rule. 

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeah it’s interesting with the new cut down rule. Saleh said on 1JD they Sunday would be like a regular season Monday and that they were simulating a regular week. 

“camp” is over 

what value is there in having 90 guys now ? What is TJ Luther doing during the team competition reps ? Doubt he’s getting in there. Wouldn’t surprise me if they dump the new rule. 

meat for the last preseason game after our other worldly studs exit the game

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because preseason games are completely meaningless and week 1 counts.  Because a few reps in a preseason game mean nothing and can be replicated in practices with pads without the contact on the QB.  Because the risk outweighs the reward.  Those would be the arguments. 

When did this preaseason not mattering thing start? Does practice not matter either? It’s football injuries are going to happen. The more reps for guys who haven’t played together the better. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, slats said:

If they’re treating this game like a tuneup, that’s exactly what they should be doing.

On the new episode of 1JD Saleh, in the locker room post Bucs game, told the players they were treating this week as a simulation week.  He said Sunday after a Saturday game was a "Monday" so today would be the equivalent of a weds during the regular season.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Larz said:

“camp” is over 

Injuries in the final preseason game

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

it's football guys can get hurt. sh*t happens. if it happens it happens. What difference does it make if they get hurt in 3 series in PS or in week 1 when the score counts?

There is value in shaking the rust taking some live bullets before the games count. That's why pretty much every coach does it every preseason. That's why Saleh is doing it and why Rodgers wants to do it. These guys will all be playing together for the first time and need to do all the little things so they can answer any questions they might not have known they had. Many of them are playing in a new system for the first time with a new QB. There are little details and communication things they'll want to try and be sure they're on the same page with.

You don't want the first Q of the Bills game to work things out and knock the rust off when this game could be the difference between winning the division or not, getting the 1 seed or not, making the playoffs or not.

I was just pointing out the arguments. I could go either way.  This goes back a long way, but I am permanently scarred by the knee injury Namath suffered in a 1971 preseason game when he was tearing it up in camp. That injury was a back breaker.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

46 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because a few reps in a preseason game mean nothing and can be replicated in practices with pads without the contact on the QB.  Because the risk outweighs the reward.  Those would be the arguments. 

Well, guys like Andy Reid, Sean McDermott, John Harbaugh, etc., clearly disagree. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, slats said:

Preseason games can be more dangerous because there are players on the other side who may be desperate to make an impression, desperate enough to hurt one of your own guys. I wouldn’t play my starters unless I had an agreement with the opposing coach that he’d also be playing his. I don’t need any jints wannabe superheroes flying at Aaron Rodgers’ knees. 

Fair points, and the only logical argument I've heard so far.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

When did this preaseason not mattering thing start? Does practice not matter either? It’s football injuries are going to happen. The more reps for guys who haven’t played together the better. 

McVay started doing it and the Rams started 8-0 one year and then everyone played copycat.