This Offense is not ready to hang with the big boys

Barton

30 minutes ago, PepPep said:

No. But Hall is the Jets 5th CB. If that. I think the coaching staff might even have more confidence in Hardee over Hall in an emergency situation so you could argue he is the 6th CB. 

So, if Sauce goes down:

1. The Jets Jets have Reed as a #1 caliber lock down CB.

2. They have a stud nickel in MC. 
3. They can have Echols who has been playing really well and will only miss one game due to suspension. 

4. They can simply play more Nickel or Nickel variations with an extra safety on certain plays when they need extra defensive backs.

5. If they DO need to go into their depth for an emergency CB, like I said, it would probably be Hardee as the 5th guy on the depth chart. We are talking Dime packages only. Packages that the Jets don’t implement very often anyway. 

So if Sauce goes down they may not even need to look at Hall or that far down the depth chart for help…like ever. And to suggest that the Jets depth at CB is weak or ‘one of the worst in the league’ is completely absurd. It’s one of their strongest and deepest units behind D-line.

Echols is suspended right now.

I have more faith in the combination of Lazard, Hardman and Cobb than Reed, Hall and Carter. That's all. You remove either Sauce or seventeen, that respective group takes a hit. 

Reed is a nice #2, and he played great last year. But he excelled at being a #2. 

On 8/31/2023 at 2:20 PM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Your big counter is the raiders were only 12th in passing?  A good running game is nice to have but it’s a passing league that’s why Brady, Mahomes, the Manning Bros have like 14 of the past 20 Super Bowl wins while Adrian Peterson, Ladainian Tomlinson and Dalvin Cook have 0

that's about to change

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is a playoff team.  Just not sure championship caliber yet.  

I would be shocked if the D doesn't finish in the top 5 - likely top 3.  But the O has me concerned.  Top half of the league sure (yes, better than we've had in a long time) Good enough to go to a Super Bowl.  I'm not sold.  And I believe in today's NFL Offense Wins Championships.

Look, against my better judgement, you guys have beaten me down to the point I'm starting to buy into the Rodgers hype.  I sure hope it really was a thumb and not old age.  We're going to find out soon enough.

hey man just look at camp, but I can understand where you are coming from. You will not believe until you see it on Monday night. When Rodgers puts up 2 td and lets our RB run a couple in too, you are going to realize how amazing Rodgers really is. Every single drive we have a chance to score. There is no shut outs coming, no scoreless halves. We have too much talent and will have too much time to do anything less.

You are looking at one of the best teams in the league and best team the jets have ever assembled. I know it doesn't seem possibly, but it is staring you strait in the face.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

hey man just look at camp, but I can understand where you are coming from. You will not believe until you see it on Monday night. When Rodgers puts up 2 td and lets our RB run a couple in too, you are going to realize how amazing Rodgers really is. Every single drive we have a chance to score. There is no shut outs coming, no scoreless halves. We have too much talent and will have too much time to do anything less.

You are looking at one of the best teams in the league and best team the jets have ever assembled. I know it doesn't seem possibly, but it is staring you strait in the face.

Fid is one of the best contrarian indicators on here. I’m glad he’s a sourpuss about the coming season.

8 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I'm with you - and sure hope you're right.

Less than 10 days now.  That Monday is going to be a very long day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

I have more faith in the combination of Lazard, Hardman and Cobb than Reed, Hall and Carter. That's all. You remove either Sauce or seventeen, that respective group takes a hit. 

Reed is a nice #2, and he played great last year. But he excelled at being a #2. 

He’s suspended for just 1 game.

I trust each group about equally. I think Sauce is more valuable. But if he goes down, our coaching staff has shown the ability to hide their corners. That will be easier than in the past giving our pass rush.

I trust Rodgers can have success with Lazard, Hardmann and Cobb though. Especially if our run game is clicking.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see what you see but this is being reported by several people. Maybe the restructure from this year was never actually made official?

Strange 

Or maybe all the reports are from the same wrong source. 

By what we see coming in now, seems you were right and this phantom restructure at the beginning of the year never actually happened. It's odd because I didn't think overthecap was in the news-breaking business, I thought they just reported what was official. This gives me hope we can still get Evans who was my #1 off-season target (beside QB, obviously).

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That is the big concern for me.  It very well could have happened last year.

When the cliff comes for QB’s, you can’t usually tell until the second half of the season

In the first quarter to half of the season they’re fresh from 8 months off.

Then comes November and their arm is tired and the age begins to show and things spiral out of control.

That would suck big time.

Especially because we have a tough first half schedule.

It’s possible that we go 3-3 in our first 6 games with Rodgers playing well, then the schedule gets much easier but he hits that cliff and we still finish the season at .500 because of it.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

I seriously can't believe there are Jets "fans" sh*tting on the 2023 Jets. I haven't felt this good about the team since 1997.  

In 1998, we were a Curtis Martin/Keith Byner fumble/Dave Meggett muff away from destroying the Falcons in the SB. 

I think this team is better (with the exception of the O Line)

The Defense is heads and tails above that defense. 

There is a very curious correlation between those that are pessimistic this season and those who think Zach will be a future star…

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

I think you're overrating the chance

the schedule is a beast and the AFC is loaded 

playoffs are a coinflip at best

Entirely plausible Jets are the class of the AFC East, and that the Bengals or Chiefs best them in the playoffs.  But think they're gonna be there, and it's not crazy to dream big. After a decade +  of awfulness with our noses up against the glass when the games matter in January, I'll take this chance.

They can be in the conversation. Nobody has a Golden Ticket to Vegas next February today. Who ever gets there is gonna have to earn it. Also in the realm of possibility the Jets are that team. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Facts said:

When the cliff comes for QB’s, you can’t usually tell until the second half of the season

In the first quarter to half of the season they’re fresh from 8 months off.

Then comes November and their arm is tired and the age begins to show and things spiral out of control.

That would suck big time.

Especially because we have a tough first half schedule.

It’s possible that we go 3-3 in our first 6 games with Rodgers playing well, then the schedule gets much easier but he hits that cliff and we still finish the season at .500 because of it.

Do you have any specific statistical examples of "the cliff" you speak of? Or are you yet again running your mouth without any data to back it up? 

Suspect you might bring up Favre's injury, 1998,and then ignore the success he had with the Vikings. While Favre also went for the Packers to the Jets later in his career, there could not be 2 more different people in the NFL . 

Yes, we know; if Rodgers get hurt, things will be bad. We also know he's a very smart guy who keeps himself in great shape. And this CS is going to do everything they can to keep him healthy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Do you have any specific statistical examples of "the cliff" you speak of?

Yep. Sure do.

This study looked at all quarterbacks who entered the league since 1970 and have since retired.

IMG_2440.png.e8fc5b8f4d144a502e94c39682fafea3.png

And to quote the study: Quarterbacks peak at age 29, although the five-year period from 26 to 30 is probably better classified as the prime of a quarterback’s career…. If anything, the number of quarterbacks with enough attempts to qualify at each age might be the most revealing piece of information in the above table. The peak is again at age 29, with ages 27 to 31 looking like the prime.“

IMG_2441.thumb.jpeg.c7aced6493e7edd752c12797201ced65.jpeg

IMG_2444.thumb.jpeg.99980342d8f84bb3315690e9338ab649.jpeg

Even their fantasy production (which is really just a measure of how many yards and TD’s they throw), drastically dwindles.

IMG_2442.thumb.png.7a05d1ec68179f78ff11d978c9aaf908.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Facts said:

Yep. Sure do.

This study looked at all quarterbacks who entered the league since 1970 and have since retired.

IMG_2440.png.e8fc5b8f4d144a502e94c39682fafea3.png

And to quote the study: Quarterbacks peak at age 29, although the five-year period from 26 to 30 is probably better classified as the prime of a quarterback’s career…. If anything, the number of quarterbacks with enough attempts to qualify at each age might be the most revealing piece of information in the above table. The peak is again at age 29, with ages 27 to 31 looking like the prime.“

IMG_2441.thumb.jpeg.c7aced6493e7edd752c12797201ced65.jpeg

IMG_2444.thumb.jpeg.99980342d8f84bb3315690e9338ab649.jpeg

Even their fantasy production (which is really just a measure of how many yards and TD’s they throw), drastically dwindles.

IMG_2442.thumb.png.7a05d1ec68179f78ff11d978c9aaf908.png

"Since 1970";  for roughly the first 2 decades.  QBs were mostly done by 35. A good chunk of that is when conditioning was practically nonexistent. By all means post a link to your study. 

Even if I were to concede that, why does that mean a damn thing for Aaron Rodgers? Again, at 37 and 38 he was the MVP. And despite battling nagging injuries at 39, he almost got his team into the playoffs with aa lesser cast of talent than the 2023 Jets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"Since 1970";  for roughly the first 2 decades.  QBs were mostly done by 35. A good chunk of that is when conditioning was practically nonexistent. By all means post a link to your study. 

Even if I were to concede that, why does that mean a damn thing for Aaron Rodgers? Again, at 37 and 38 he was the MVP. And despite battling nagging injuries at 39, he almost got his team into the playoffs with aa lesser cast of talent than the 2023 Jets. 

Fran Tarkenton and Johnny Unitas were still in the league in 1970. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Bugg said:

No one said he can’t be good this year. You seem to have made up an argument in your head and are fighting against it. What was said is that QB’s do eventually hit a cliff.

• More Ugh 1

7 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

I seriously can't believe there are Jets "fans" sh*tting on the 2023 Jets. I haven't felt this good about the team since 1997.  

In 1998, we were a Curtis Martin/Keith Byner fumble/Dave Meggett muff away from destroying the Falcons in the SB. 

Making legitimate criticisms about the roster is “sh tting”?

14 hours ago, Claymation said:

Ok well, agree to disagree. Reed was a vet playing on the outside with a rookie opposite him. He was 1/1a with Sauce and he had a fantastic year. I think you are underrating him. Echols is suspended for one week. ONE. 

Again, it’s not Reed, Carter and Hall. It’s Reed, Carter and Echols. If you are just looking at the one game where Echols is suspended (assuming Sauce gets hurt against Buffalo) it’s probably safeties and Hardee taking up the extra slack.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Facts said:

No one said he can’t be good this year. You seem to have made up an argument in your head and are fighting against it. What was said is that QB’s do eventually hit a cliff.

You don't hit a cliff; you either stop, or you  go over it. 

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, PepPep said:

Probably pretty high up there. Reed is a legit #1 playing #2 and Carter is one of the best young slot CBs in the league (riser). Echols would need to show out, but probably pretty high up there. I would imagine if you took away the #1 from every other team, most #2, slot and remaining depth would not look as good. 

Nice post 

I think the vast majority are excited as all hell but are terrified that the OL and LBs will take away their cotton candy.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

I think you're overrating the chance

the schedule is a beast and the AFC is loaded 

playoffs are a coinflip at best

Too bad the rest of the teams in the AFCE don’t have to play the same teams we’re going up against this season.

• Upvote 1