This Offense is not ready to hang with the big boys

Barton

4 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Like you said this team is built like the Seahawks and Ravens.  They both won the SB with this type of team. And I would say the Jets have a way better QB than either of those teams did.  Along with better RB's. This team needs more, but has enough to win a SB. 

They might have enough but why not add more and increase your odds? Why aren’t the Jets doing more to add MORE elite-ish receiving talent? The cap room is there. 

• Upvote 2

Can't do the what-if game. How many teams can afford to loose their QB, #1 WR or #1 CB. Even without cap problems how many elite QBs, WRs, and CBs do you think the league has?

That being said, we really haven't seen anything out of our Offense yet 2/5 starter OL were out for most of pre-season. AR had 2 series, and we have not seen our #1 or #2 RB yet. And, we moved the ball pretty well at times. GW is special, but it is not like the rest of our top WRs are garbage. We also have a couple of pretty good TEs and a decent/good running game.

It will take some time to know for sure, but while we don't have the #1 or #2 offense, we should not be sitting at the bottom of the league either. You put a top 10-15 Offense together with a top 5 Defense and we should win our fair share of games - I hope.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, jbt said:

besides Rodgers, Breece, Cook, Wilson, Lazard, Hardman, Carter, Conklin, Uzomah, Reuckert who do we really have on offense.

Breece coming off injury, Cook could be washed, jury is still out. Lazard and Hardman the "Dropsie Twins". Carter does not move the needle and the TE's are average at best.

Wilson goes down, this offense is going to struggle.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

They might have enough but why not add more and increase your odds? Why aren’t the Jets doing more to add MORE elite-ish receiving talent? The cap room is there. 

sure have the Raiders send us Adams, the Rams send us Kupp and the chiefs send us Kelce.  Problem solved, so easy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The offensive line lacks talent, even if healthy. The only “good” offensive lineman is AVT. The rest graded out as below average last season, which matches the eye test.

The receiving group is average/below average, though we have one legitimate elite player in GW. Scary that we have three UDFA’s in the group, two of which are rookies. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

That being said, we are loaded at pass rusher, which could counterbalance those two areas.

I’m really excited about this season, probably less optimistic than most though. Hoping for a 10 win season and a playoff berth.  

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rodgers and Hack don’t run a 5 wide empty backfield fast break offense 

They run an efficient risk averse offense that is happy to take what the defense gives them, get a rhythm, then when the defense creeps up, hit them with an outside go route. Rodgers is lethal in the RPO. If you look at the packers his last 2 MVP seasons he got the TEs and RBs involved. He spreads it around, but Wilson will get the bulk of the targets. 

Hall and Cook put the defense in a pick your poison position, and Rodgers is going to make defenses pay. 

This is the best offense that the Jets have ever had, mostly because the QB is one of the best to ever do it. 

The best offenses recently have an almost unstoppable combination, and Rodgers and Wilson can easily be that 

Not the Best offense. They have The Best QB since forever and he will be 40 in December.

Lets temper the enthusiasm. We are excited, but until they play their first 4 games we really won't know what they will be.

• Thumb Down 1

Wilson is an elite player and should get by far the most targets, that is good and if he stays healthy all year we will be okay.

Lazard is a medium complementary player, when he was in effect a #1 Wr last year for rodgers and the packers he had 788 yards.  With a #1 guy to take the heat he will contribute without that top end guy he is not going to be any kind of impact player.

Cobb is a complementary player who will do well at what he does but is limited in what he does.  He also is not durable at all and gets hurt a lot.

Hardman is a lousy.  Fast but squanders that speed by not making use of it, makes not many big plays for being a big play type player.  Does not seem to process the game well.

All of our other guys are somewhat raw and all have had drops, one of them may rise up to be good but there will be growing pains on a win now team.

In this league if you have one great Wr you add another and watch your team dominate.

Other than Rodgers the guy we can least afford to lose would be Garrett Wilson.

• Upvote 2

So the offense can't hang because there's just Rodgers and GW, but last year Rodgers played with a hand injury with no legit WR1, most of the same receivers, a worse RB group and a worse defense, despite winning against playoff teams including MN (twice), DAL, TB and MIA? 

Ok.

You're setting yourself up to be miserable and tell everybody how right you were by casting the season as super bowl or bust before it's even started. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This thread is total nonsense.  With Rodgers, Wilson and Breece, thats as good a 1,2,3 as any in the league.

But.........................................................

It wont hurt when they trade for Davante Adams in the next few months.

Trick or treat jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breece won't look like himself for months 

• Thumb Down 1

The problem I have is with the name of this thread saying our offense can't hang with the big boys. If the thread was called something like if Garrett Wilson gets hurt in game 1 and is lost for the season . . . then I think I might agree with it a little bit more because that would be a very big loss to our offense. But the thread makes no mention of GW getting hurt, so I have to think just the combination of AR & GW is going to be something pretty special and that should also open up some coverage on our other WR's because defenses will be so concerned about AR  throwing to GW.

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Tom Brady could turn WR bums into solid effective receivers.  He did that for most of his career.  I have to feel that Rogers has at least some of that ability in him too.

They won a Super Bowl running option routes out of the slot. I’m not worried about it 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Not the Best offense. They have The Best QB since forever and he will be 40 in December.

Lets temper the enthusiasm. We are excited, but until they play their first 4 games we really won't know what they will be.

You’ll see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

There’s too much jet love so there’s a witch-hunt to offset it.  Funny how the patriots always managed to score w/o those amazing wrs.  They had a great TE and a qb who got rid of the ball quickly and rbs who could catch and run.  Go figure. 

They’re all deeply invested in their Ascension of Josh Allen and Mike McDaniel, Sliced Bread Inventor narratives and they’re disgusted that the Jets are trying the crash the party by trading for an incoherent libertarian dudebro whom they despise. So now they’re up in their little Mean Girls nü-media group text workshopping increasingly stupid doomer scenarios by which Rodgers and the Jets finish 4-13 so they can all laugh at each other over brunch at the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

The NFL champion the last 10+ years usually includes an offense that had to win multiple high scoring shootouts during the regular season to win their division and often another shootout during the postseason to advance to the Super Bowl. Right now this team is built more like the Seahawks or Ravens teams that have won in the last 12 years. Led by the defense and good enough QB play but with a substandard supporting cast on offense. My point? The talent on offense is lacking right now around Rodgers. Garrett Wilson is the only receiver he can count on to get open fairly consistently. JD needs to add more firepower. 

what team is better? Wilson, Lazard and Hardman. Wilson is as good as any WR there is, Hardman is fine and good WR3. Lazard I can make the case there are a few better WR2 for sure, but these teams, not the top team in the NFL - KC has better. 

Also we have D Cook, and B hall. We have a def that is great and wont require as many shootouts. Look at the teams, def win championships. I am sorry but i can not disagree more and further more the idea that some make believe team that doesn't exist is better than us. i mean what are we talking about??

We have all the makings of a great offense. literally MVP QB, playmakers all around him. A def that can not only stop other offenses, but hit the qb. Last time i checked we beat buffalo last year with crap offense but somehow this year we cant do it with our improved off? it doesnt make sense.

Who are the top teams, our offense lines up great to every single one.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Barton said:

They had every opportunity all offseason to do just that.  Douglas chose not to.

Why not is a very good question.

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

If the Jets team plane flew into the side of a cliff, I worry there is enough depth to be good after

basically the best post. 

These SOJF are crazy. I never reallized how silly they were. When we suck you can rationalize it, when we suck for a decade you can even take part, but when you finally turn it around and put a high quality team on the field, these guys act like nothing changed.

• Upvote 4

Just now, EM31 said:

Tom Brady could turn WR bums into solid effective receivers.  He did that for most of his career.  I have to feel that Rogers has at least some of that ability in him too.

Brady always had other weapons other then a top WR. Edelman and Welker were studs for them. They always were able to run the football consistently and their defense was always good.

The slot receiver was a huge part of that offense, starting with the days of Troy Brown. He did not make crap WR's look great. He got enough out of the outside receivers when necessary. The focal point on those offenses were the slot receivers, TE's and Backs out of the backfield.

The only time I think Tom ever had a true number one receiver in NE was when Moss was their and they went 18-1.

The Jets currently don't have that second go to option. Lazard and Hardman are way to inconsistent and the TE's are average. Hopefully one of Lazard or Hardman can emerge, but I'm not convinced until they do it.

I see Wilson being targeted 12 to 15 times a game. Kid is going to need the ice bath a lot this year.

12 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

what team is better? Wilson, Lazard and Hardman. Wilson is as good as any WR there is, Hardman is fine and good WR3. Lazard I can make the case there are a few better WR2 for sure, but these teams, not the top team in the NFL - KC has better. 

Also we have D Cook, and B hall. We have a def that is great and wont require as many shootouts. Look at the teams, def win championships. I am sorry but i can not disagree more and further more the idea that some make believe team that doesn't exist is better than us. i mean what are we talking about??

We have all the makings of a great offense. literally MVP QB, playmakers all around him. A def that can not only stop other offenses, but hit the qb. Last time i checked we beat buffalo last year with crap offense but somehow this year we cant do it with our improved off? it doesnt make sense.

Who are the top teams, our offense lines up great to every single one.

The offense as a whole I think has the potential to be very strong. The WR group beyond Wilson leaves much to be desired. I think we'll add someone significant to that group before the trade deadline unless one of the UDFA's has a huge unexpected breakout which is super unlikely IMO.

He’s not talking about the Steelers or Cheaters or Cowboys or Chiefs he’s talking about the New York ******* Jets. He’s talking about the New York ******* Jets that JD and Saleh built. 

I honestly feel bad for any Jets fans holding onto the battered Jets fan syndrome thing , I’m enjoying being a jets fan. and I can’t wait for the season to start 

great dream and you wake up and you think: I just want to get back into that but I can’t quite get back into the dream. I’ve woken up inside of that dream and it’s been really, really special. There’s a lot of times — I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — where I just look around and say: This is my life now. How cool is this? "It happens in the locker room, it happens walking out and it's the fresh air and the sun setting. It’s just (thinking) what an awesome day it was because of whatever it was, a conversation I had with Mekhi, getting to see Billy Turner and catch up with him, a play that happened that really was fun that we talked about and wanted to happen … or we’re driving to the city and you hit that spot before you go in the tunnel and you’re looking across to the city going: How cool is my life now? I just try to keep that perspective every day here and it’s been easy because one thing has happened almost every single day that just reminds me I’m in the right place, I’m where I’m supposed to be and I’m really just loving what this opportunity has given me ... "Everyday I’m thinking — and I won’t say it out loud — but I’ll sit back with the guys in the room, take a second sometimes and it's: How cool is this?"

Aaron Rodgers thinks being here is a dream , and that this team has a chance to win it all. Dalvin Cook came here because he believes too. 

Talk your sh*t and get pumped !!!!   This team is ******* awesome, fun, interesting, exciting, talented, hungry, confident, and it’s going to be a great ******* ride 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s not talking about the Steelers or Cheaters or Cowboys or Chiefs he’s talking about the New York ******* Jets. He’s talking about the New York ******* Jets that JD and Saleh built. 

I honestly feel bad for any Jets fans holding onto the battered Jets fan syndrome thing , I’m enjoying being a jets fan. and I can’t wait for the season to start 

great dream and you wake up and you think: I just want to get back into that but I can’t quite get back into the dream. I’ve woken up inside of that dream and it’s been really, really special. There’s a lot of times — I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — where I just look around and say: This is my life now. How cool is this? "It happens in the locker room, it happens walking out and it's the fresh air and the sun setting. It’s just (thinking) what an awesome day it was because of whatever it was, a conversation I had with Mekhi, getting to see Billy Turner and catch up with him, a play that happened that really was fun that we talked about and wanted to happen … or we’re driving to the city and you hit that spot before you go in the tunnel and you’re looking across to the city going: How cool is my life now? I just try to keep that perspective every day here and it’s been easy because one thing has happened almost every single day that just reminds me I’m in the right place, I’m where I’m supposed to be and I’m really just loving what this opportunity has given me ... "Everyday I’m thinking — and I won’t say it out loud — but I’ll sit back with the guys in the room, take a second sometimes and it's: How cool is this?"

Aaron Rodgers thinks being here is a dream , and that this team has a chance to win it all. Dalvin Cook came here because he believes too. 

Talk your sh*t and get pumped !!!!   This team is ******* awesome, fun, interesting, exciting, talented, hungry, confident, and it’s going to be a great ******* ride 

Where's the part where he complains about Lazard and Cobb being active WRs on the team?  Did you edit that out?

• Upvote 1