Joe Douglas

Lupz27

12 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So Tippman doesnt count?

Drafting the offensive and defensive rookies of the year?

I really wonder what people want - do you think every team has a star at all 22 positions?  Is needing to replace Laken Tomlinson really a big ask next offseason?

JD, along with about 20 other GMs, hasnt been able to solve QB in his time here. But for all the naysayers, do you realize what he was given when he walked in the door?  There were about 5 legitimate NFL Players on the roster and he has now managed to find

• 2-3 edge rushers
  • An elite guard who can play OT
  • An elite RB 
  • An elite WR
  • An elite CB in the draft and a very good CB in free agency

Yes, there have been mistakes as every GM makes and unfortunately when you inherit a team with zero talent, you have to make moves that have more risk then you'd like and sometimes those fail.

Tippman??  How's he doing so far??  The center the Giants selected after Tippman was chosen is starting.  The center the Texas selected after Tippman was slated to start but he's on IR- so the center they selected four rounds after Tippman is starting.  Yet despite the Jets having a desperate need at center, Tippman is on the bench.

What do people want??  How about improved units??

Douglas has had three draft's and three FA periods since he was hired in 2019.  How much better is the offensive line that took the field last night than the offensive line Douglas inherited in 2019?

BTW- AVT is far from elite, far from it.  He's very good- and i would agree, he could probably line up at LT for the Jets- or at the very least he's an upgrade over the over aged, over the hill guy they have there now- so why don't they put him there?

• Upvote 2
  • En Fuego 1

5 minutes ago, DireJet said:

JD tried to take a shortcut w/Rodgers and it backfired massively. A QB of his caliber covers up a lot of other issues, but JD got caught trying to take said shortcut. He has to own it. 

I fully agreed with the approach.  QW, GW, Breece, Sauce, AVT are still cheap right now.  I don't think we'll be able to keep all of these guys together for all that long.  Plus, ZW was terrible last year.  It seemed feasible that adding a great (albeit almost 40 year old) QB might elevate us into contention.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I mean there’s a whole slew of posts back in the summer where I argued that Rodgers was a major injury risk. My point is that starting a 39-year-old in the first place is evidence of mismanagement.

Brady won a Super Bowl at 43.  Rodgers, for the most part, has been durable.  Risky?  Yes.  Mismanagement?  Don't agree.

3 minutes ago, Sam_S said:

Tippman??  How's he doing so far??  The center the Giants selected after Tippman was chosen is starting.  The center the Texas selected after Tippman was slated to start but he's on IR- so the center they selected four rounds after Tippman is starting.  Yet despite the Jets having a desperate need at center, Tippman is on the bench.

Douglas has had three draft's and three FA periods since he was hired in 2019.  How much better is the offensive line that took the field last night than the offensive line Douglas inherited in 2019?

BTW- AVT is far from elite, far from it.  He's very good- and i would agree, he could probably line up at LT for the Jets- or at the very least he's an upgrade over the over aged, over the hill guy they have there now- so why don't they put him there?

Tippman isnt starting because he has a veteran in front of him.  Schmitz, is starting because he had no one to beat out and btw how did that Giants OL do with him at center?

Units that have not improved under JD:  OL and QB

Units that have improved dramatically:  Secondary, RB, WR, DL

And for your question - are you really comparing this group to 2019?  

Kelvin Beachem, Osmele, Jonathan Harrison, Brian Winters and Brandon Shell 

That line required all 5 players to be replaced.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Tippman isnt starting because he has a veteran in front of him.  Schmitz, is starting because he had no one to beat out and btw how did that Giants OL do with him at center?

Units that have not improved under JD:  OL and QB

Units that have improved dramatically:  Secondary, RB, WR, DL

And for your question - are you really comparing this group to 2019?  

Kelvin Beachem, Osmele, Jonathan Harrison, Brian Winters and Brandon Shell 

That line required all 5 players to be replaced.

So the Jets didn't have a desperate need at center after 2022??  They had so much faith in McGovern they gave him a one year deal worthy of a back-up?  And how did the Giants Oline do with JMS??  JMS is starting- Tippman is sitting.

The 2019 oline required 5 players to be replaced- three drafts and three FA periods into the tenure of Douglas you can easily make the argument 4 of the blockers need to be replaced- massive improvement!!!!

14 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Brady won a Super Bowl at 43.  Rodgers, for the most part, has been durable.  Risky?  Yes.  Mismanagement?  Don't agree.

I don’t mean mismanagement in the sense that the Jets got him hurt through poor training or preparation. I mean that the team was starting a 39-year-old quarterback behind a 39-year-old left tackle because they so thoroughly mismanaged those two positions that they had no alternative.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Facts said:

he needs to answer for this…

Here is what JD has spent on Zach, Mims, Becton, Moore and Rodgers. Who collectively have done nothing for this club.

- 2020 first round pick (No. 11)

- 2020 second round pick (No. 59)

- 2021 first round pick (No. 2)

- 2021 second round pick (No. 34)

- 2023 first-round pick (No. 13 - swap)

- 2023 second-round pick (No. 42)

- 2023 sixth-round pick (No. 207) 

- 2024 second-round pick (TBD)

- $120M+ guaranteed 

Imagine the squad a competent GM could build with this haul!!!

People still listing Becton as some sort of bust?  Interesting.

Also, wow...in 4 drafts, JD has missed on 1 out of 7 first rounders.....fire this man immediately.  What's also funny is you could probably list Moore as a non-miss as well, if we're actually talking about busts vs NFL players.  So basically in 4 drafts, a total of 11 first and second rounders, JD missed on 2 of them.  He hit on 9/11 (spooky).  Weird thing to complain about.

Btw are we really going to cry about the Rodgers "haul" right now?  A couple 2nd rounders for a chance at a ring?  Multiple rings, really, considering Rodgers planned/plans on being here for at least 2, maybe 3 years.  Especially after loading up and hitting on all these picks the years prior.  C'mon man. You're better than this low-tier bait. 

....actually, maybe you're not. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sam_S said:

So the Jets didn't have a desperate need at center after 2022??  They had so much faith in McGovern they gave him a one year deal worthy of a back-up?  And how did the Giants Oline do with JMS??  JMS is starting- Tippman is sitting.

The 2019 oline required 5 players to be replaced- three drafts and three FA periods into the tenure of Douglas you can easily make the argument 4 of the blockers need to be replaced- massive improvement!!!!

Wait....so JMS was the guy we should have taken simply because the Giants have decided to throw him into the fire?  Sound logic there bud.  

Also, Becton needs to be replaced?  Interesting.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Risky?  Yes.  Mismanagement?  Don't agree.

Ultimately, we are all judged by our results, not our intentions.

A huge sum of money, many picks, and we got 4 plays and wind up stuck with Zach starting again?

That's not the kind of result that gets you a contract extension.

Just now, Warfish said:

A huge sum of money, many picks, and we got 4 plays and wind up stuck with Zach starting again?

Fixing the roster and culture does. Injuries are not a great barometer of effectiveness because they are so random

49 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Wait....so JMS was the guy we should have taken simply because the Giants have decided to throw him into the fire?  Sound logic there bud.  

Also, Becton needs to be replaced?  Interesting.  

LOL- JMS is starting......Juice Scruggs was slated to start until he got hurt a week before the season opener and was placed on IR....so Jarrett Patterson is now starting....

Meanwhile Tippman is on the bench.

Its not rocket science and even the simplest of minds can understand this- sorry you're incapable.

Oh, and btw- i didn't bring Tippman up- someone else did when i pointed out what a horrid job Douglas has done with the offensive line since he's been here.  But as they say, reading is fundamental.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Woody was all in on Rodgers.  I'd be shocked if JD gets canned even if the Jets fail to make the playoffs again.  We'll just have to see what happens...

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He needs to hold a press conference and answer questions about not being prepared for this situation plain and simple.

Outside of the 2022 draft he has not done one thing to keep his job other then that draft.

This team just beat Last year's division winner with their back up QB. You have no idea WTF you are talking about. The two most dominant players on the defense this past game were pickups from other teams cuts. JFM and the other QW. The kid that sealed the victory was an UDFA.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sam_S said:

He's had 5 FA periods and 4 drafts.  The best player on the team was drafted by Mac.  Adams who we got a haul for was drafted by Mac.

He was a first time GM.  The roster looks good on both sides of the ball.  The OL, like most NFL OL hasn't had much time together and may be a little behind.  TBD...  The OL might still work out.

I go back to Boozer and Snell along with Riggins.  Hall may be the best running back this team every drafted.  I loved Sauer and Toon.  Loved them.  GW is as good as any WR this team ever drafted.  The Jets have had some great offensive lineman,  Hill, Powell, Mangold, Fields, Mayae and Faneca.  AVT is already really good and absolutely has elite potential.  

Douglas hasn't yet had success in terms of wins.  I do think he's made some bad mistakes.  I also think he's learned and is getting better.  I wouldn't dump him based on this year.  Rodgers has Woody's finger prints all over it.  I can't believe that was Douglas's move.   

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Sam_S said:

LOL- JMS is starting......Juice Scruggs was slated to start until he got hurt a week before the season opener and was placed on IR....so Jarrett Patterson is now starting....

Meanwhile Tippman is on the bench.

Its not rocket science and even the simplest of minds can understand this- sorry you're incapable.

Oh, and btw- i didn't bring Tippman up- someone else did when i pointed out what a horrid job Douglas has done with the offensive line since he's been here.  But as they say, reading is fundamental.

I brought up Tippman and I really dont think you should be using the word "incapable" when it comes to this dicussion, your "analysis" makes no sense. 

Whether or not a player is starting greatly depends on who is in front of them. We needed a center and drafted one but were fortunate enough to also keep a veteran here on a cheap deal.  This has allowed us to not rush Tippman into the starting lineup.  Do you think hes not playing because he is bad?  Are you saying he was a bad pick 1 week into his career?

Juice Scruggs and Jarret Patterson didnt have anyone to beat out.  The only other center on that roster is Kendrick Green who was a guard for most of college.  So is that really indicative that they are better players then Tippman?  Or is it possibly indicative that JD did a GOOD job at the center position and has 2 starting caliber players in Tippman and McGovern?

Jermaine Johnson didnt start last year, how is he looking in his second year?  Does his not starting have an impact on his career or how we judge the pick?  I mean we traded up in the first round for him, how could he not start?

JD came in and said he was going to build this team around the trenches, that means both sides of the ball.  He  has built our defense into an elite unit and has missed a couple of moves on the OL.  Find me a GM that has all hits and maybe then what you are saying will hold any water.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Sam_S said:

How did JMS do in his 1st game? Just asking?

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I brought up Tippman and I really dont think you should be using the word "incapable" when it comes to this dicussion, your "analysis" makes no sense. 

Whether or not a player is starting greatly depends on who is in front of them. We needed a center and drafted one but were fortunate enough to also keep a veteran here on a cheap deal.  This has allowed us to not rush Tippman into the starting lineup.  Do you think hes not playing because he is bad?  Are you saying he was a bad pick 1 week into his career?

Juice Scruggs and Jarret Patterson didnt have anyone to beat out.  The only other center on that roster is Kendrick Green who was a guard for most of college.  So is that really indicative that they are better players then Tippman?  Or is it possibly indicative that JD did a GOOD job at the center position and has 2 starting caliber players in Tippman and McGovern?

Jermaine Johnson didnt start last year, how is he looking in his second year?  Does his not starting have an impact on his career or how we judge the pick?  I mean we traded up in the first round for him, how could he not start?

JD came in and said he was going to build this team around the trenches, that means both sides of the ball.  He  has built our defense into an elite unit and has missed a couple of moves on the OL.  Find me a GM that has all hits and maybe then what you are saying will hold any water.

LOL- sure it makes no sense. 

Meanwhile you want to count a guy (Tippman) that's never taken a snap in a game as part of the equation.  And you try and justify that genius thought by claiming the Jets have 2 starting caliber centers- including McGovern- a guy they were forced to sign late in the FA process to a one year deal worthy of a back-up because they were desperate.  And bringing Jermaine Johnson into the fold is also genius- because we know the Jets are shooting towards the 2024 season and don't have a win now mentality!!

Now there's an analysis that makes sense!!!   LMAO

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He's had 5 FA periods and 4 drafts.  The best player on the team was drafted by Mac.  Adams who we got a haul for was drafted by Mac.

He was a first time GM.  The roster looks good on both sides of the ball.  The OL, like most NFL OL hasn't had much time together and may be a little behind.  TBD...  The OL might still work out.

I go back to Boozer and Snell along with Riggins.  Hall may be the best running back this team every drafted.  I loved Sauer and Toon.  Loved them.  GW is as good as any WR this team ever drafted.  The Jets have had some great offensive lineman,  Hill, Powell, Mangold, Fields, Mayae and Faneca.  AVT is already really good and absolutely has elite potential.  

Douglas hasn't yet had success in terms of wins.  I do think he's made some bad mistakes.  I also think he's learned and is getting better.  I wouldn't dump him based on this year.  Rodgers has Woody's finger prints all over it.  I can't believe that was Douglas's move.   

Nail meet hammer......

Douglas was an offensive lineman in college.  Douglas was reared and spent most of his career with two organizations (Baltimore & Philly) that valued and prioritize the offensive line.  They even select offensive linemen when it seems unnecessary- everyone laughed at Roseman when he selected Cam Juergens in the second round in 2022- who's laughing now??

Yet none of that has rubbed off on Douglas because he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room when it comes to the o-line, yet his decisions have been disastrous.  Someone mentioned the Jets needed 5 offensive linemen when Douglas took over in 2019. In four draft's he's selected 6 offensive linemen- 1 has panned out.  His FA signings on the oline have been a disaster.

Oh yeh- and during that same period the Eagles, who have a great oline selected 5 blockers- one less than the Jets.  The Ravens?? They drafted 7 offensive linemen,

Whenever a Jets team had success and went deep into the playoffs they had an outstanding to great LT/OC combine

'69- Winston Hill/John Schmitt

'82- Powell/Fields

'98- Elliot/Mawae

'09-'10- Ferguson/Mangold...

Now?? Brown and McGovern....the jokes write themselves.

18 minutes ago, Sam_S said:

LOL- sure it makes no sense. 

Meanwhile you want to count a guy (Tippman) that's never taken a snap in a game as part of the equation.  And you try and justify that genius thought by claiming the Jets have 2 starting caliber centers- including McGovern- a guy they were forced to sign late in the FA process to a one year deal worthy of a back-up because they were desperate.  And bringing Jermaine Johnson into the fold is also genius- because we know the Jets are shooting towards the 2024 season and don't have a win now mentality!!

Now there's an analysis that makes sense!!!   LMAO

Never taken a snap, its been 1 week?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, DireJet said:

JD tried to take a shortcut w/Rodgers and it backfired massively. A QB of his caliber covers up a lot of other issues, but JD got caught trying to take said shortcut. He has to own it. 

He does not own the Rodgers situation. Woody definitely drove the Rodgers conversations. JD just doing what the owner wanted.

There was only one QB in that 2021 draft that had franchise potential and they did not have the chance to get that QB. So they took the consensus second best QB in that draft. Fields is Garbage, Book is still open on Mac Jones but looking OK at the moment. 

The 2022 draft the only QB taken in the first round was Pickett and he is a backup in this league.  Should they have thrown a dart at a mid to late round QB in the 2022 draft absolutely. That is the only blemish I see on not trying to find a guy that can be serviceable.

2024 is probably the best chance to grab a long term solution, Next years class is deep @ the QB position.

17 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He needs to hold a press conference and answer questions about not being prepared for this situation plain and simple.

Outside of the 2022 draft he has not done one thing to keep his job other then that draft.

No he doesn't. 4 plays. I get it. But it's football. Maybe you need to be prepared for the reality of football. Grow up.