TANKATHON Updates

Rhg1084

Do you have confidence in Joe Douglas picking a quarterback or a tackle?

In terms of o line, he goes for the outlier, the oversize linemen who have trouble managing his weight. How many linemen of Becton's immense and impressive size have long careers in the NFL?

Don't tell me drafting Becton was worth the risk because he was so, so talented. The next thing you will tell me, signing a 39 year old hall of fame quarterback is a good idea. How about signing a 37 year old left tackle?

On the qb front, Douglas favors the sandbox qb, the 6'2" scrambler in a Covid shortened college career with an injury history who loves to run backwards...but hey, he can throw an exquisitely choreographed long ball on pro day. Almost as pretty a ball as Sam Darnold did.

in a league filled with Obvious-Icebergs to avoid, Jet fans are Titanic level loyal. Blaming Zach Wilson, Becton, Brown, is the easy out; look to the man who is buying the groceries while selling us dreams of Tom Brady-like twilight years.

2 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Do you have confidence in Joe Douglas picking a quarterback or a tackle?

In terms of o line, he goes for the outlier, the oversize linemen who have trouble managing his weight. How many linemen of Becton's immense and impressive size have long careers in the NFL?

Don't tell me drafting Becton was worth the risk because he was so, so talented. The next thing you will tell me, signing a 39 year old hall of fame quarterback is a good idea. How about signing a 37 year old left tackle?

On the qb front, Douglas favors the sandbox qb, the 6'2" scrambler in a Covid shortened college career with an injury history who loves to run backwards...but hey, he can throw an exquisitely choreographed long ball on pro day. Almost as pretty a ball as Sam Darnold did.

in a league filled with Obvious-Icebergs to avoid, Jet fans are Titanic level loyal. Blaming Zach Wilson, Becton, Brown, is the easy out; look to the man who is buying the groceries while selling us dreams of Tom Brady-like twilight years.

Becton at least looks good when he is healthy. And I would keep JD and give him another chance at a QB pick. He’s showed the most competence at drafting talent than any GM we’ve had and I’m not sure the next guy we replace him with would be any better.

In terms for this next class coming out I’d be happy taking any of the top 5 QB prospects and having them learn under Rodgers for a year or 2.

Long term you can ideally lock up this nucleus of players (Sauce, GW, AVT, Breece, Becton and Q who already got paid) while having a QB on rookie contract.

Next year you make another push at SB with AR. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets will draft a QB in the mid to late rounds, and bring in a backup for Rodgers, no high pick for a QB, you will be wasting your time scouting the high level QBS.  We are not taking one.

What makes you think that? You tell me if there’s a big time name on the board when we pick we’re gonna pass on him? Have we learned nothing from the Hackenberg/Mahomes or Watson situation?

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

What makes you think that? You tell me if there’s a big time name on the board when we pick we’re gonna pass on him? Have we learned nothing from the Hackenberg/Mahomes or Watson situation?

Yes we have learned nothing because this is a new regime than the other one.   They also just picked wilson high and are watching as guys like hurts (2nd rounder), purdy (last guy in the draft) excel.

Rodgers is coming back.

They are were and are still ALL IN on Rodgers.

They think they can get two years out of rodgers.

We still have huge issues at WR and oline.

Will they take a QB in this draft?  Yes probably but not one high, they will try and pull a purdy out of their hat,

17 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

That's what everyone said when we picked Wilson. And on and on it goes....

and on and on it will continue to go.  Has our track record of trading for QBs been any better?  They'll continue to swing in the draft, as they should.  If they miss, the next regime will swing, and on and on and on until they luck their way into one.  It's the story of every franchise.  John Lynch gets his balls licked constantly as being this great GM, but he made an error you could argue was worse than JD's error in taking Wilson.  He traded away two drafts for Trey Lance.  He also lucked into Purdy, so no one gives a damn about that pick anymore.  That's literally all the Jets need....luck into a QB.  Obviously you're not going to wait until the 7th round to get that guy, but they WILL draft another.  

I just hope they make the right call.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

and on and on it will continue to go.  Has our track record of trading for QBs been any better?  They'll continue to swing in the draft, as they should.  If they miss, the next regime will swing, and on and on and on until they luck their way into one.  It's the story of every franchise.  John Lynch gets his balls licked constantly as being this great GM, but he made an error you could argue was worse than JD's error in taking Wilson.  He traded away two drafts for Trey Lance.  He also lucked into Purdy, so no one gives a damn about that pick anymore.  That's literally all the Jets need....luck into a QB.  Obviously you're not going to wait until the 7th round to get that guy, but they WILL draft another.  

I just hope they make the right call.  

The alternative is to not draft more so you just have to keep trying.  

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes we have learned nothing because this is a new regime than the other one.   They also just picked wilson high and are watching as guys like hurts (2nd rounder), purdy (last guy in the draft) excel.

Rodgers is coming back.

They are were and are still ALL IN on Rodgers.

They think they can get two years out of rodgers.

We still have huge issues at WR and oline.

Will they take a QB in this draft?  Yes probably but not one high, they will try and pull a purdy out of their hat,

I draft Marvin Harrison Jr, or trade down and stock up on O Line, WR, Linebacker.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

And where are we getting a QB from?

We have Rodgers for another year.

The last 2 seasons have shown you can find a decent vet.   What i do know is no rookie can succeed with this team as is.

When you look at elite offenses, you need more than 1 good receiver.  Add Harrison to Wilson, you have an amazing receiving corp.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

We have Rodgers for another year.

The last 2 seasons have shown you can find a decent vet.   What i do know is no rookie can succeed with this team as is.

When you look at elite offenses, you need more than 1 good receiver.  Add Harrison to Wilson, you have an amazing receiving corp.

Wilson and Harrison combo would be deadly and is tempting. But at the end of the day if you don’t have a QB that means nothing as you see we can’t even get the ball to GW now. If you have a shot at a top QB prospect got to take him!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wilson and Harrison combo would be deadly and is tempting. But at the end of the day if you don’t have a QB that means nothing as you see we can’t even get the ball to GW now. If you have a shot at a top QB prospect got to take him!

All we need is another wr mad b/c he’s not getting the ball.  

The other reason I don't think they go QB

JD and Saleh aren't getting fired this year.   With one season left, JD doesn't draft a QB.  Whoever the next GM is, will want his own HC, and will want his own future QB. 

Now, if the team goes 2-14, maybe they fire Saleh, but then you have to fire JD as well.  You bring in a new GM, to bring in his own HC.

15 hours ago, chirorob said:

The other reason I don't think they go QB

JD and Saleh aren't getting fired this year.   With one season left, JD doesn't draft a QB.  Whoever the next GM is, will want his own HC, and will want his own future QB. 

Now, if the team goes 2-14, maybe they fire Saleh, but then you have to fire JD as well.  You bring in a new GM, to bring in his own HC.

Yeah I highly doubt that JD will be operating under the assumption it's his last year.